Author Topic: Buying a second multimeter, any recommentations for my needs?  (Read 314 times)

Offline TnFTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello. I'm at the point that i can spend some money for new equipment, more particularly a 2nd multi-meter.

While i had some very cheap multimeters when i was young i do own a Brymen BM319s which has some automotive handy features.
I've been owning it for 10 years now and i am very happy with it (bought Brymen because of Dave), 6000 count only though :(

Now i have the following requirements for a second meter:

- AC/DC current clamp: Very useful and fast when working in cars, no need to connect meter in series, plus you can measure higher than 10A). BM319s has an inductive pickup but it's meant only for rpm pickup from the spark plug coil. There is also the option of purchasing an external clamp, which has the benefit of usually being smaller, meaning it will have better access and also can be used in any meter. There are downsides too though.

- True RMS: Useful when i am repairing PSU's for example

- Higher counts/resolution: Nowadays all my projects are with 3.3V micro's, so some better resolution and accuracy is appreciated, 60000 counts would be nice

- AUTO HOLD: Self-explanatory

Highly wanted optional features:

- Thermocouple input: Useful to have more than one temp meter (BM319s already comes with one)
- Datalogging: Internal/Wireless preferably or Wired
- Backlight

Optional features:

- VFD? Insulation testing? RST?
My father is an electrician and sometimes he borrows my stuff, mainly because mine are either better or just in working condition since he mishandles everything
- Anything useful???

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Buying a second multimeter, any recommentations for my needs?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 10:04:50 am »
You asked on other threads for some meters advice's,  and i see you ask for a lot of recommendations ... It may or will annoy people(s)

Do yourself a favor,  do some search here,     there is plenty of answers...

There is an huge list of meters on eevblog

And for your father : tell him to get his proper tools and stop borrowing yours,  you need to know the state of your instruments, if someone borrow them and brake them  ....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 am by coromonadalix »

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf