Products > Test Equipment

Buying and shipping a Tek 576 in 2022

(1/6) > >>

David Aurora:
Is it a completely shit idea?

First things first because I can already see the replies- no, neither an octopus tester nor a $30 Ebay curve tracer kit can do what I need. What I need is what a 576 does. I need to test and characterise stuff at high voltages/reasonably high power, and out of all the old curve tracers around seems to be the best fit for my needs/budget.

But with that said- I've got to pay Australia tax to get one, and risk what shipping could do to something that hasn't been manufactured for decades (they don't seem to pop up around these parts), so if there's a better option I'm all ears.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in SMU land that can give me the same voltage/current capabilities anywhere near the same price (god I'd love to be wrong about this though). There are some reasonably priced curve tracers on Alibaba that get sort of almost nearly close, but there's zero info out there about them so it seems like a total crapshoot. There are a few kit/DIY things around the web that would probably work OK, or I could design something, but I'm really not after a project to endlessly tinker with here, just a functional tool. I also prefer standalone tools that just work to things that need to run on some godawful shit like Windows, although the ability to save/recall curves would not suck.

I don't necessarily need the absolute limits of it, even 800V/100mA would be plenty.

So yeah, assuming one was reasonably packed and shipped from the US to Australia do we hold high hopes for it arriving intact? Or does anyone have any better suggestion for similar functionality these days?

Jay_Diddy_B:
Hi,

I have a couple of the Tektronix 576 curve tracers. I have one that I use and the other is a spare. I was lucky in that I bought them locally so no shipping was required.

I was just watching this video on YouTube. The guy seems very knowledgeable on these instruments. It give you an idea of the work that is required if you get a bad one.
There are a couple of bad things that may be unfixable:

The HV transformer that generates the CRT voltages
The CRT itself

Link:

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

Shock:
If it's properly packed and sent with the right freight company/carrier it should be fine. If you use a carrier with poor logistics it will be freighted on a tour of the US before arriving, which I think adds significant risk.

I own one as well, I've often wondered how many are actually in Australia because I've only ever seen one other years back.

Adjusted for inflation they would be US $17,000 instruments today. That would be AU $23,000 before any additional local markup.

David Aurora:

--- Quote from: Jay_Diddy_B on April 17, 2022, 02:34:36 am ---Hi,

I have a couple of the Tektronix 576 curve tracers. I have one that I use and the other is a spare. I was lucky in that I bought them locally so no shipping was required.

I was just watching this video on YouTube. The guy seems very knowledgeable on these instruments. It give you an idea of the work that is required if you get a bad one.
There are a couple of bad things that may be unfixable:

The HV transformer that generates the CRT voltages
The CRT itself

Link:

--- End quote ---

Yeah I found that guys vids after picking up some 7000 series stuff, super informative! I've heard the same from a few sources about those issues being showstoppers, so that's my big fear with shipping. Anyone know how secure the transformers are inside? Are they prone to breaking/bending mounts?

David Aurora:

--- Quote from: Shock on April 17, 2022, 02:58:13 am ---If it's properly packed and sent with the right freight company/carrier it should be fine. If you use a carrier with poor logistics it will be freighted on a tour of the US before arriving, which I think adds significant risk.

I own one as well, I've often wondered how many are actually in Australia because I've only ever seen one other years back.

Adjusted for inflation they would be US $17,000 instruments today. That would be AU $23,000 before any additional local markup.

--- End quote ---

Good chance I'll need to use a freight forwarding service, so multiple carriers have a good chance of increasing my risk  :-\

Yeah, for what they do they're a steal if you can get one in your hands and working. But jeez, it's an expensive boat anchor if it's DOA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version