Author Topic: BUYING ANOTHER DSO.  (Read 5972 times)

Offline MrsRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
BUYING ANOTHER DSO.
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:22 pm »
Hi! Guys,
I am looking at buying a RIGOL 100mHz DSO and I was wondering how I buy it in Australia so
DAVE gets his 6% cut.
Can't afford the the 2000 model so it will have to be the 1000 E model.
Have a question though " HOW MUCH VERTICLE NOISE BASE HAS IT "???????
I looked at the latest SIGLENT and it has 120Mv.
The ATTEN has 40Mv
RIGOL I don't know!! I understand the 2000 model has a very low noise floor at least RIGOL is advertising that it does.
I ask this as I do a lot of work with square wave and digital pulse and the more internal noise the wider the display line is and this can hide circuit noise. OK I am a bit picky but the Scope I have now the line is 3.5mm wide and this is the sixth one they have sent me under warranty :-DD that's Hysteria not laughter. I would still like Dave to get his bit. Bribery Dave I need some help with some Mosfet drivers in the near future.

Rachael :-+

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: BUYING ANOTHER DSO.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:47 pm »
Buy from Trio Smartcal and say on order it was recommended by Dave of EEVblog. Then pay the 6% as a donation to Dave on the Feed Sagan link on the EEVBlog main page.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »
I measured mine empirically, and noise floor of the 1052e is ~ < 500uV with the input amp at max gain.  Note, noise rises with scope bandwidth.  There are charts and a discussion in the archives about sample noises from different brands and bandwidth scopes.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ddrl46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »
Hi! Guys,
I am looking at buying a RIGOL 100mHz DSO and I was wondering how I buy it in Australia so
DAVE gets his 6% cut.
Can't afford the the 2000 model so it will have to be the 1000 E model.
Have a question though " HOW MUCH VERTICLE NOISE BASE HAS IT "???????
I looked at the latest SIGLENT and it has 120Mv.
The ATTEN has 40Mv
RIGOL I don't know!! I understand the 2000 model has a very low noise floor at least RIGOL is advertising that it does.
I ask this as I do a lot of work with square wave and digital pulse and the more internal noise the wider the display line is and this can hide circuit noise. OK I am a bit picky but the Scope I have now the line is 3.5mm wide and this is the sixth one they have sent me under warranty :-DD that's Hysteria not laughter. I would still like Dave to get his bit. Bribery Dave I need some help with some Mosfet drivers in the near future.

120 mega volts? Anyway, you might want to specify about which atten / siglent scope you are talking.

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »
And also important question, how it is measured. Very easy there go to comparing apples and plumbs.

I have looked  Siglent SDS1072CNL and it looks like 5mV/div settings it have around < 1mV (measurement show 0.80 - 1.0mV p-p noise without DSP filtering.  Now it is also good to know that it looks like Siglent do not use cosmetic cleaning filters for "nice trace". (yes it may make it more fast wfms/s)  and user can set adjustable digital filter separately to both channels and then you still may have full BW but reduced noise!)

Then old: (today there is Owon 2.8.2 and even (marginally) less noise)

Here some test with old workhorse Tek TDS520A and Owon SDS7102 (not V2.8.2)  face to face..

This is good to read also:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-3020EN.pdf
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
I measured mine empirically, and noise floor of the 1052e is ~ < 500uV with the input amp at max gain.  Note, noise rises with scope bandwidth.  There are charts and a discussion in the archives about sample noises from different brands and bandwidth scopes.
Last but not least some scopes have special acquisition modes and bandwidth limiting which can reduce noise. All in all its difficult to  compare one scope to another.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »
You can't buy any test gear from Amazon in Australia unfortunately, so I don't get a cut.
Buy from one of my nice advertisers like Emona and tell them you saw it here. I don't get a cut, but they might keep advertising  :-+

Dave.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:30:22 am »
You can't buy any test gear from Amazon in Australia unfortunately, so I don't get a cut.
Buy from one of my nice advertisers like Emona and tell them you saw it here. I don't get a cut, but they might keep advertising  :-+

Dave.
:-DD  That is laughter, Have been dealing with Emona, will tell them that went to Emona due to Dave.
Sorry you don't get a commission but advertising isn't bad if you charge them enough.
Thanks Dave
To the previous post" Mv yep! that's what doing posts at 3am does for you, although at could be right considering the problems I have had with the Digitech. I measure the noise at 1volt with the leads removed, set on measure, Auto, manual Trigger it, Same as Agilant etc do it. The one they replaced 6 times started life at 11 mv 3 months latter 40 mv, about 1 month 80 mv, another month 120mv, finally sent it back at 185mv, all their new ones show 120mv with 3.5 mm wide voltage line.

I always try and support local business. If you don't when you need that little bit or such they wont be there.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:04 am »
THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY POST GUYS " GOTTA SUPPORT DAVE :-+
SORRY I DONT FOLLOW ISO Regs mV :)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:34 am »
MV is Mega Volt
mV is milli Volt
Mv or mv do not exis. v is velocity.
Mhz and mhz do not exist, MHz and mHz do.
C is capaitance in F , c is light velocity in m/s, but C is also Coulomb, the unit for Q, charge.
S is siemens, s is seconds so it is ms and Ms or mS and mS
E is Elctric field strenght in V/m, here m is meter
Volt, Ampere ect are named after people that is why we use captials, exeptions make the rule,
e is Euler

atto, femto, nano, milli are smaller then the unit so small letters
Mega, Terra, Peta are bigger as the unit so a capital letter.

Also used wrong are the h parameter for transistors. It is h not H and the subscript is important too, FE is for DC amplification, but fe is relative for small signal. So two totaly different things.

If we follow these simple basics we are all talking about the same thing. You maybe write mHz out of lazyness or because you do not care or know and because you never work with mHz but some of us do and I have seen a discussion where the starter used mohm and everybody assumed he was talking MOhm. That took more then a page of non usable anwers. He meant mOhm ( milli Ohm, a small part of a Ohm)

This is nothing to make jokes about or say you do not care or it is not important. This is so basic everybody should know and so important everyboy should apply these rules ( or at leat try, everybody can make mistakes)

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:00:13 pm »
Yes, it might help to turn all filters: bandwidth limiters, acquisition modes etc., off, to make a comparison.  However, in actual use those modes can help mitigate noise which is helpful since noise rises with bandwidth.  For example, simple averaging will reduce the noise displayed, but its always good to begin with low noise from the start.

Last but not least some scopes have special acquisition modes and bandwidth limiting which can reduce noise. All in all its difficult to  compare one scope to another.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf