Author Topic: Cambridge Instruments (Bausch & Lomb) Stereo Zoom 7 teardown  (Read 14062 times)

Offline muvideoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,
it's passed a bit of time from my last teardown.
Recently I scored a pair of interesting used devices on ebay.
I was searching for an electrometer, just for the fun of having one in my 'home' lab,
I stumbled accross a seller that had a nice keithley 616 (that will be part of a another thread)
and also a stereo inspection microscope. I couldnt pass on them so I bought both, and here is it :

a Cambridge Instruments (Bausch and Lomb) StereoZoom 7 in very good ahestetic conditions.
Unfortunately the seller didnt had the stand or the eyepieces, but it's is enough fot the price.
This instrument is a “Greenough” microscope, i.e. a the light path that arrives to each eye is
fully separated, no optics are shared between the two paths.
This is different from “Common Main Objective” device, like my other microscope, 
a Lomo MBC-10 where the last optic is shared.
There are some benefits and downsides for each configuration.

The unit has a coaxial illuminator, that injects light directly in the light path, illuminating the
field through the same optics that are used to pick up the image. The illuminator is easily
separated from the unit,

but it seem that each illuminator is adjusted to the main unit

The illuminator itself contains a colored filter wheel and a pair of prisms that deflect
the light in the mai path, while letting pass trough the image that goes to the oculars

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:27:23 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cambridge Instruments (Bausch & Lomb) Stereo Zoom 7 teardown
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »
Time to take a look inside, top removed:

Interpupillary distance can be set simply moving the oculars, the prisms will pivot around
the optical axis

The optical assebly can be removed entirely removing 3 screws

Another difference between this scope and the Lomo is the fact that the SZ7 is a continuous
zooming microscope, while the Lomo's magnification factor can be varied in fixed steps.
The variable magnificaition is obtained moving part of the optics, a top set will move
downwards while a bottom set will move upwards, the movement is actuated by the rotation
of the central shaft:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:29:24 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:20 pm »
Here can be appreciated the position that the illuminator assumes in the microscope:

The light generated from the right will be deflected towards the bottom of the scope
where it will light up the sample, the reflected light will then go back upwards to
the eyepieces.

Unfortunately I still dont have the eyepieces to try it out, and cannot use Lomo's ones
since these are strangely 1.25” (more common in telescopes)  while SZ7 are standard
0.975” or 24.5mm diameter  edit: these are 23.2mm diameter, I'm more familiar
with telescope eyepieces than with microscope ones.

Now I'm considering buyin this set of eyepieces: ebay #301032060351
http://www.ebay.it/itm/301032060351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
but any recomendation is welcome, also now I need a stand.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:32:07 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:03:12 am »
That's quite the quality scope you have there. I use stereo zooms at work quite a lot, I find them indispensable.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:19:02 am »
Those eyepieces have very small viewing holes which I find annoying to use. Find a set of widefield ones if you can.

Something like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Super-Widefield-10X-Microscope-Eyepieces-30mm-/190814081296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6d67d110

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:45 pm »
Those eyepieces have very small viewing holes which I find annoying to use. Find a set of widefield ones if you can.

Something like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Super-Widefield-10X-Microscope-Eyepieces-30mm-/190814081296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6d67d110

Thank you for the advice, the diameter of SZ7 eyepieces is 23.2mm not 24.5mm like i said before,
I had im my head old telescope eyepieces diameters. Do you think I have to search for B&L eyepieces
or also the ebay ones are good enough?
Fabio Eboli.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 08:44:12 pm »

Something like these

Thank you for the advice, the diameter of SZ7 eyepieces is 23.2mm not 24.5mm like i said before,
I had im my head old telescope eyepieces diameters. Do you think I have to search for B&L eyepieces
or also the ebay ones are good enough?

If you can find some genuine B&L ones then get them, they'll give a clearer view, however I suspect that you'll be a long time trying to find them and some cheap ones will be ok for now. If you wear glasses then find some with a spectacle symbol on them.

Offline cippal

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 11:26:18 pm »
Hello,
I need some help to repair my stereo zoom 7. I'm not able to remove the white top. Could someone help me to do that? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Ragards
Sebastiano
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:36:42 pm by cippal »

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:43:47 pm »
I think you just need to remove the two black tubes, they are screwed. It was the same method for a Leica GZ3.

The following users thanked this post: radhaz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf