Author Topic: How do you keep your BNC male/female clean on your test equipment?  (Read 14599 times)

Offline charliedelta

• Regular Contributor
Re: How do you keep your BNC male/female clean on your test equipment?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »
Isopropol. Removes muck if the plating is good and not ground away by the Chinese BNC adaptors. A light film of Deoxit and even very light film of silicone grease and you should be good to go if you using the real silver plated BNC's. If you using Epay spell you dont have to clean them, they just fall apart and the plating chips off in chunks, then you have a rust problem!

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 01:10:47 am »
I'm in the market for buying some items like these (for BNC, but also N and SMA).

I ordered some PVC caps from AliExpress (6mm,8mm,12mm,16mm,22mm). The 6mm and 8mm work well on SMA. (I'm still waiting for the 22mm to be delivered. EDIT: 22mm is too large.)

The 12mm fits on the end of the male BNC, but doesn't go on all the way. It's very slightly too small.

The 16mm is just slightly too big to grip onto a male N connector. It doesn't grip on the thread, but it does engage past the threaded portion.

I have a yellow CAPLUGS EP-8 which holds acceptably on a female BNC. I may order more of them for the OP's eBay link.

Which sizes work well for other people? It seems that everyone prefers rigid plastic for BNC, but I always feel that threaded connectors (SMA + N) will cut bits of plastic as I engage and disengage the dust cap?

McMaster-Carr has some sizes of conductive and anti-static caps, but they all seem the wrong size. Are ESD-safe caps available from anywhere that fit? Although most manufacturers seem to be putting the soft PVC caps on their equipment and I doubt that they are ESD-safe, so maybe it doesn't matter.

ADDENDUM: I like the design of this bayonet-style rigid plastic cap for female BNC.[/url]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:46:03 pm by pigrew »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 03:32:42 am »
For cleaning tarnish, I found these little paper cloths at the dollar store that are designed for polishing jewellery.
They work fantastic for cleaning connectors and stuff. I use them all the time now when restoring equipment, even for polishing screw heads and other metal bits.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 03:47:36 am »
Clean the female BNC with airbrush cleaning brushes and alcohol.

Airbrush Cleaners
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 08:23:26 am »
Those airbrush cleaner are made from steel. That seems like an excellent way to ruin the plating.

The common way to save connectors is to use so called pin-savers. These are simple male-female adapters and they reduce the number of mating cycles on the equipment itself.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 03:13:07 pm »
I use individually packaged alcohol pad.  I'm diabetic so I have LOTS of those.  The cloth is lint free and small.  I can use fine tipped tweezer and clean inside.  I leave the center pin alone. 

I'd be afraid to use anything abrasive. 

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »
Those airbrush cleaner are made from steel. That seems like an excellent way to ruin the plating.

Incorrect - the set I have is nylon bristles. You are referring to the needles which are steel. I don't use those for BNCs.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf