Author Topic: Can't upgrade Rigol DG4102 firmware. Weird behavior!  (Read 4675 times)

Offline swperkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can't upgrade Rigol DG4102 firmware. Weird behavior!
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:03:05 am »
I just purchased a Rigol DG4102 with firmware 00.01.11 and bootloader 6.02. I would like to upgrade the firmware to 00.01.12. I have a 1GB flash drive formatted as FAT that the DG4102 will recognize when it is powered up normally, showing it as the D: drive and listing the contents.

It appears from Rigol's update instructions, that since I am upgrading 00.01.11, I must update the bootloader first:

"For new version 00.01.11.00.01, please update the unit using DG4000(Bootloader)Update file before normal update DG4000(DSP)Update file. Do not update the DG4000(Bootloader)Update file twice or the unit will fail to start up."

Following Rigol's instructions, I copy the new GEL bootloader file to the root directory of my USB drive. I press the HELP key as I power on the DG4102 and the MOD and STORE lights come on steady, while the UTILITY light blinks for a few seconds and then lights steadily. Nothing happens for several minutes and the firmware is not updated. Power cycling the DG4102 restarts it with the original firmware still in place.

Then, thinking I'm very clever, and my firmware that shows on the instrument as 0.01.11 is really 0.01.11.01 and needs no bootloader upgrade, I try the same procedure, but now with the firmware GEL file. Same result...

What is going on? What am I missing? Is there a fundamental problem using a 1GB USB drive?

Thanks,
Stan

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Can't upgrade Rigol DG4102 firmware. Weird behavior!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 06:14:26 am »
IME the Rigol instruments are quite picky when it comes to USB sticks, I've had ones that worked fine for saving screenshots but refused to work for firmware updates. So, unless you've know from previous updates that this stick works, I'd try another USB-stick.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 08:44:38 pm »
I think that you will need to use a 256 MB or 512 MB. Possibly smaller may work(?), but 256 & 512 MB both work for me consistently with my DG4000.  1 GB is too large for the DG4000 from my experience, although the unit does recognize (read/write) it Ok, but not for firmware updates.  I purposefully have saved these specifically for my DG4000, because they are very hard to find now.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:33:09 am »
Thanks for the tips. I don't have a 256MB or 512MB USB stick handy, but I tried an old 128MB stick with no success. BTW, about how long should it take from the time the generator is powered up in the update mode until the front panel lights start sequencing? I've waited several minutes without seeing a change. I would assume it should be on the order of a few seconds, but have no way of knowing!

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 03:36:38 am »
Hello:  1. Please format your USB Stick, Pen, etc. drive for FAT32.  Hopefully this will get you going.  2. I'm a little confused because I don't see Firmware '11' (what you say you currently have installed) in my DG4000 Folder, as I try to keep a copy of all firmware versions I install in my Rigol equipment.  So I don't know how I missed this(?).  I have copies of firmware 00.01.04, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 14, but no 11 (?).  Of course I'm using FW 00.01.14.00.01 now (the current FW).
3. Have you gone through the  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dg4000-a-firmware-investigation/msg269620/#msg269620 thread to read about the DG000 Firmware history?  If not this may help.  And this may be a better place to enter your issue to get more exposures for users to see your problem.
4. I also think that I read somewhere about a warning not to load the boot loader twice, because the unit may not start up properly afterward.  Sorry I can't find the info right now about this.  5. Does your DG4000 currently boot up and work at this time?  If not it will most likely have to back to Rigol for repair.  And if it does still operate, then there is still opportunity for a resolution.  And of course you should talk to Rigol support about your issue to see if they can help.  6. I'm curious why you weren't trying to update to the current Firmware version 00.01.14.00.01, although what your doing is still OK.
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.  Thanks, Ted
Edit:  Corrected 'firmware 00.01.03', it is actually firmware 00.01.04 that I have (not .03).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:45:35 pm by ted572 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »
Thanks for all the tips! I thought the USB stick was supposed to be formatted as FAT, not FAT32, so I'll give FAT32 a try. The reason I am not using firmware 01.14.00.01 is that the latest version on the Rigol site is 01.12.00.02. Where can I find firmware version 14?

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 01:29:57 am »
Hello swperk:  You are correct I couldn't find the .14 firmware either now on any of Rigol's web sites.  I definitely retrieved it from Rigol's web site.  They have been messed up for a long time on their firmware distribution.  I have reported it to Rigol few times and nothing has changed.  For example there is also newer firmware for the DSA815 and DSA832/875 that still isn't available on their site for users.  And I got this from another EEVbloger.  But don't fear I will send it to you.  Please send me a email address via a EEVblog PM that you can receive a 10 MB file on.  Then you will have my email address also if you have any additional questions for me.

I attached Rigol's PDF file that describes the procedure for adding the new Boot Loader for firmware .09 and above.  There is a note in Step 1 that says the following:  NOTE: The USB memory stick must be FAT32 formatted. You can insert it into a running DG4000 and the instrument should display “USB  Device Recognized” or similar.   Of course you have already seen that the DG4000 recognizing your USB stick must be done, but there is more - as it should preferably be less than 1 GB.

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner.  I just a few minutes ago saw your new message.   

Good luck and cheers, Ted

PS  Remember Do Not install the Boot Loader more than once!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:31:59 am by ted572 »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 09:59:31 am »
After the last update of their web site, it appears Rigol has restricted access to their chinese language firmware archive (where all the latest firmware versions were available) and they don't maintain their international pages appropriately.

I uploaded the 01.14.00.01 firmware to my web server but I'll take it down again in a week or so. Here's the link.

Cheers.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 03:42:15 pm »
Thanks very much for the link! Even with the latest firmware, I still can't get the upgrade process to start.

I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, using a FAT32 freshly formatted 2GB USB drive with only the DG4000Update.GEL file on the drive (root directory). The instructions say to insert the USB drive, then power on the DG4000, wait for the Rigol logo with the three dots to appear, then press "Help." Unfortunately, I never get the three dots under the Rigol logo, and if I wait until just the Rigol name shows up on the screen, pressing the Help key does nothing and the machine just completes the normal bootup process.

Is there something weird about firmware version 00.01.11 that's preventing the normal firmware upgrade process, or might there be a different upgrade procedure for this particular version?

Even though my bootloader ("Keyboard Version") shows version 06.02, is there any reason to perform the bootloader update? (Although I tried that already and it doesn't work either.)

My DG4102 recognizes and can read my formatted 2GB USB drive in normal operation. Does that automatically mean that the same USB drive is suitable for the firmware upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a real puzzler!

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:39:09 pm »
Hello swperk:  Remember - Your USB Pen, Stick, etc MUST BE LESS than 1 GB. I have used 256 MB and 512 MB (both FAT32).  Maybe you have forgotten this.
Also remember I said DO NOT Install the Boot Loader twice. If you do, or have done it, then that may the reason for your problem(s). And if so, time for your unit to go back to mama Rigol. We should try to understand this. From what Rigol has said I figured it possibly wouldn't start at all if the Boot Loader was installed twice, but perhaps your issue could also be a symptom of this(?).         
Does your unit currently work with its version 11 firmware?   If it does then there is still hope for it.  If its not currently working, and not within its warranty then you will be responsible for the shipping costs both ways.  If it is within the warranty then your only responsible the shipping to Rigol.
By the way I never thought that v. 14 firmware would load into your unit if v. 12 wouldn't, I just wondered why you weren't trying to load the current firmware in it.  I didn't realize at the time that Rigol is no longer listing v. 14 firmware.  I guess - no Rigol surprise here!
     Please give us a clear description of the current operational status, what all you have done.
         Ted

TurboTom - Tom, do you have any suggestions for swperk?  If so please comment because you are very knowable of Rigol products and the DG4000.  Thanks for anything you can add, or please correct anything I have said that may be wrong, or misleading.
Have you ever seen v. 11 firmware, as I have not.   Thanks, Ted

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:26:09 pm »
I also had a hard time when I tried to update the firmware on my DG4102 the first time. Finally I found a 512MB thumb drive that works for the job and keep it just for that purpose tacked (velcro) to the instrument.

Otherwise, there's not much I could add to your explanations, Ted -- you pretty much covered all the relevant points.

Just let me emphasize again: The DG4000 series is very picky regarding the thumb drives it will update the firmware from. A stick that's good for saving and loading waveforms, setups or screenshots won't necessarily work for updating the firmware. Moreover, not all the "small" (<1GB) thumb drives will do the job. If you find one that works, it's really advisable to keep it with the generator for future use.

Good luck and all the best,
Thomas

P.S. I've got version 1.11.00.00 and uploaded it to my server in case you need it (it contains a bootloader update).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:36:44 pm by TurboTom »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:22 pm »
Format the USB disk with FAT32 in Linux.

The problem with this need to recognize disks while booting is that sometimes the disk is so big/slow controller that the equipment may take much time to properly recognize the disk and, when it does, the timing of the booting detection phase has already passed.

Can't you trigger an update from within the equipment running? Because that would ensure that the USB is already recognized.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:32:25 pm by tv84 »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 10:11:57 pm »
I have other FW versions if needed. (from 01.04.00.02 up to 01.14.00.01)

Let me add my 2 cents (i don't speak from experience with this model just from my feeling...):

The DG4000(Bootloader)Update_00.06 appeared right before DG4000(DSP)Update_00.01.09.00.01 because starting with v01.09 the .GEL started having additional "obfuscation".

The method that should be used to flash the bootloader is in the .PDF attached.

I think any other method to flash the bootloader might end up wrongly de-obfuscating the bootloader .GEL which is not obfuscated.

Anyone that has, in the past, already flashed FW with versions >= v01.09 HAS NO NEED TO FLASH  THE BOOTLOADER AGAIN because it's already in the latest version.

I also have a .GEL that corresponds to DG4000(FPGA)Update_00.01.08. Don't know if it's of any use.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:24:50 pm by tv84 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 10:30:51 pm »
Thanks for all the comments! In addition to a 1GB and a 2GB USB drive that I've formatted as FAT32, I also have a 128MB flash drive that I've formatted and tried several times but it also clearly doesn't work for updating firmware.

@TurboTom, cal you tell me what the brand of your 512MB USB drive is?

Strangely, in the Rigol update instructions that come with firmware version 00.01.12.00.02, dated 5/31/2016, it specifically says:

________
NOTE:
The USB memory stick must be FAT32 formatted and should be clean (only the
DG4 firmware file on the memory stick). USB memory devices with maximum
memory of 8 GB or less are recommended. We recommend the SanDisk Cruzer
Blade 8GB USB memory sticks.

You can test the memory stick by inserting it into a running DG4000 and the
instrument should display “USB Device Recognized” or similar if the memory
stick is compatible with the instrument
________

My DG4102 still happily boots up into operation with firmware 00.01.11. My take from all the discussion is that the instrument probably has only a few very specific USB drive drivers built into its bootloader, and so far I haven't come up with any USB drives that the bootloader recognizes.

Stan

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 10:33:47 pm »
Stan re-read my before last post because I think it may be the explanation. Confirm that you can't upgrade from within the app running.

And ensure that you format it in Linux!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:35:34 pm by tv84 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 11:48:59 pm »
@tv84: I did see your before last post and I should have mentioned before that although the DG4102 can see and read the USB stick and show the files on it, when I ask it to read the GEL file it says "Please select a valid file."

I also tried putting the entire unzipped update folder in the root directory of the USB drive just to see what happens. Of course, no upgrade, but I also found that my DG4102 can see folders, but can't open them. Strange.

I read your admonition to format the USB drive in a Linux machine, but I have not had a Linux computer handy so I've been formatting the USB drive in a Windows 7 PC. So I guess now I'm off to find a Linux computer to format the USB stick and see if that works any better.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement!

Stan

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 12:48:38 am »
You can boot from a Linux USB drive without installing it and format your small USB drive on any PC.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 10:35:35 am »
I should have mentioned before that although the DG4102 can see and read the USB stick and show the files on it, when I ask it to read the GEL file it says "Please select a valid file."

Yes, you should.   :-\

That is strange and, once again, assuming that you are putting the .GEL file in the USB disk's root dir my last recommendation is that you do that operation in Linux (formatting the disk and copying the file). That seems like an user permissions problem.

After doing all that I said, go the disk in Linux and do this command:

chmod 777 DG4000Update.GEL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 12:19:00 am »
I recreated the USB firmware upgrade drive through Ubuntu and set the permissions (chmod). Unfortunately, it still exhibits the same behavior, and the DG4102 still cannot read the GEL file.

I ordered a USB drive that is exactly the one specified by Rigol and should have it sometime later this week. Unless there's some bizarre failure of my particular instrument that won't allow a firmware upgrade yet still allows it to function perfectly fine in every other way, or something about the 00.01.11 firmware that's affecting the firmware update process, I have to believe that the underlying problem is that the bootloader natively can recognize only a few specific manufacturers and sizes of USB drives, and I haven't hit the winning combination.

If the new USB drive doesn't work, even after following Rigol's instructions to the letter, I think my DG4102 will be going back to Rigol. 

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:27 am »
My DG4102 was not so picky about the USD drive model.  If the generator can detect the USB drive and save/read from it (try saving a waveform, or something else available from the DG4102 menus), then it should work with the firmware file, too.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 01:42:29 am »
Using the same USB stick that failed on the firmware upgrade, I can save and read state files and arb files with no problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this observation still supports my contention that the bootloader program has a limited number of USB devices it can read from as compared to the DG4102 OS.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 02:04:24 am »
When you install the firmware as I remember (what seemed like at the time) it took several minutes and seemed like it was stuck, and then eventually the keys start to slowly blink ON in sequence (not in any particular order that I recall), all but slowly still, then success.  Please try it again - with less than 1 GB, and be patient.

And - Do Not try to re-enter the Boot Loader again!

Edit: Added -> (what seemed  like at the time), in the first sentence above. It seemed like it was stuck because the installation process goes slow.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:19:46 am by ted572 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 04:54:07 am »
I've set up the DG4102 for a firmware upgrade with my 128MB USB drive with the DG4000Update.GEL file in the root directory. I will leave it on overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I don't have high hopes for success, but there's nothing else I can think of to try until my new SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB USB drive arrives.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:57 am »
The USB stick that works for updating mine unfortunately is a none-branded promotional one... Out of curiosity, I cracked it open and found an Ameco MW8219 controller inside. Windows just reports it as generic USB drive, so no hint to the manufacturer here either, sorry!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 01:15:55 pm »
My DG4102 ran all night in the firmware update mode, but after more than seven hours, no update...

Hoping that the new USB drive magically works! If not, I guess it's off to Rigol.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and advice!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf