Author Topic: Capacitance tester for tonearm leads, cables for audio etc?  (Read 813 times)

Offline tyreman1Topic starter

Can anybody recommend a capacitance tester for measuring tone arm leads capacitance, RCA audio cable capacitance and speaker cable capacitance etc
I see a B&K one(810c) that looks like it might do the trick?

Thank you in advance

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Capacitance tester for tonearm leads, cables for audio etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:25:02 pm »
The B&K looks fine and not too expensive. Popular here is the DER EE DE-5000 but I do not own one. I think you'd be measuring at least 100pF or so per foot.

Multimeters can also measure capacitance, but you need some known accurate capacitors to verify, as they are not always accurate at the low end, and you need a REL or NULL button. Aneng AN8008 will read low range "0.108nF" so 1pF resolution and around 10pF stray but accuracy can be a few % out. It's good enough for the price.

I have a Thorens TD-165 and measured the original tonearm shielded cable, it's tiny red or yellow. Found one colour has much greater capacitance, different plastic it seems. The factory coax is similar construction as far as the weave but one center conductor is thicker. Probably caused a lop-sided image.

Offline tyreman1Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:29:47 pm »
Yes multimeters can but my Fluke 28 II doesn't seem to go that low :-\  pf
Thank you much

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 03:45:40 am »
Some multimeters can measure cable capacitance, but an LCR meter or impedance bridge would be ideal.

For my own edification, I just measured the capacitance of a 42 inch RG400 patch cable using my DE-5000, and it was 105 picofarads so within an inch.  My old Tektronix DMM916 multimeter measured 105 picofarads also which I consider pretty impressive for a handheld multimeter.

Update: If you get a multimeter to measure cable capacitance, make sure it has picofarad resolution and a relative measurement function to zero the lead capacitance, although I guess you could subtract it yourself.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:06:56 pm by David Hess »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf