Author Topic: Cat 5/6 cable testing with a scope and frequency counter?  (Read 434 times)

Offline ZyvekTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Cat 5/6 cable testing with a scope and frequency counter?
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:26 pm »
This is just under the "is it possible/just for fun" category.  If I needed to do this in a regular basis, I'd buy a dedicated cable certification tester.

I have a new box of older Cat 5 cable.  My understanding of cat 5, 5e, 6, 6a classifications is largely based on the frequency they can support.  (I believe Cat 5 being 100Mhz and Cat 6A being 500Mhz)

Is it possible using a equipment that I have in my lab? (Scope, frequency counter, frequency generator)

I'm guessing someone has tried this before.

Thanks, sorry if this is a silly idea.

-Z

Offline eloso

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cat 5/6 cable testing with a scope and frequency counter?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 06:56:38 pm »
Well I happen to think its a great question - for academic and educational purposes only of course. In reality as you are obviously aware, a cable certifier is the "proper" way to do it.

To certify a cable you need to measure its return loss and its crosstalk between the other pairs in the same jacket and compare this with the laid down standards. I reckon as a minimum you need a VNA. A scope and frequency generator isn't going to cut the mustard.

The question sent me off on my own internet search and I thought this was quite a nice explanation which touches on an answer to the question.

https://www.idealnetworks.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Certification_why_what_how_US.pdf

Has anyone ever bothered to attempt this ? It kind of begs the question - if you are a designer of cable certifiers might you use a standard  lab VNA to establish baseline measurements to calibrate your LAN certifier design/prototypes against ?

Cheers

Eloso

The following users thanked this post: Zyvek

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf