Products > Test Equipment

Chasing good/awesome quality multimeter/test lead kits, as well as cheap leads.

(1/5) > >>

rawrs:
Hi all,

I feel like this question may have been done to death, but I'm buggered if I can find it! So, please do accept my sincerest apologies for clogging the forum up if this question has been asked before and I simply missed it because I'm a numpty.

I am after two distinct, yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

Wait, hang on, that was the telly. OK, enough goofing around, I just had to.

I am after two types of multimeter test leads that are both good quality and reasonably priced. I assume they would exist in China, just I wouldn't know where to start. The vast, overwhelming majority of these test lead sets are not branded, so I have no idea what they are like.

Basically, I want an awesome test lead kit for my baby - my UNi-T UT181A. I guess I want something this kit would do for all the weird and wonderful jobs I might need to do some day.

In addition to my baby's kit, I want awesome basic probes, and awesome alligator clips. The probes are most important, though. I want them to be silocne, and I want them to be gold plated. Most importantly, I want them to be able to do 10 bloody amps like they are supposed to. Now, Jaycar have such *fairly* awesome leads, but they are not gold plated, and somewhat annoyingly, they have permanent banana plugs on them. Don't get me wrong, when I am doing power supply stuff, they are so damn handy, but every other tiime, they tend to get in the way. I have a set of these probes and they will remain in my daily carry.

All I want in the awesome probes, is gold plating, a simple, sharp tipped probe, silicone leads, the ability to do its rated current, and if they're nice and long that would definitely be appreciated. It is in the Jaycar leads.

Now, what do I want in the smaller, cheaper kit? I don't really want a kit. I just want some cheap, dependable little test lead sets, that again, can do their rated current and not melt, and are a simple, no frills product. I don't need gold plating, don't really need silicone (though would be nice if everything is silocne, I love it so much!), all I want is just some leads that do what they say on the tin and no more. I have a few other multimeters, such as clamp meters, so even then, amps rating is not all that crucial. But I just want to have spare leads in the car, toolbox, etc, as I have a few older multimeters around that do still work, but the leads are long gone, or junk to begin with.

Jeez, this is way too much waffle for two basic questions. Apologies in advance!

-Rory

rawrs:

--- Quote from: rawrs on April 16, 2019, 01:22:12 pm ---Hi all,

I feel like this question may have been done to death, but I'm buggered if I can find it! So, please do accept my sincerest apologies for clogging the forum up if this question has been asked before and I simply missed it because I'm a numpty.

I am after two distinct, yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

Wait, hang on, that was the telly. OK, enough goofing around, I just had to.

I am after two types of multimeter test leads that are both good quality and reasonably priced. I assume they would exist in China, just I wouldn't know where to start. The vast, overwhelming majority of these test lead sets are not branded, so I have no idea what they are like.

Basically, I want an awesome test lead kit for my baby - my UNi-T UT181A. I guess I want something this kit would do for all the weird and wonderful jobs I might need to do some day.

In addition to my baby's kit, I want awesome basic probes, and awesome alligator clips. The probes are most important, though. I want them to be silocne, and I want them to be gold plated. Most importantly, I want them to be able to do 10 bloody amps like they are supposed to. Now, Jaycar have such *fairly* awesome leads, but they are not gold plated, and somewhat annoyingly, they have permanent banana plugs on them. Don't get me wrong, when I am doing power supply stuff, they are so damn handy, but every other tiime, they tend to get in the way. I have a set of these probes and they will remain in my daily carry.

All I want in the awesome probes, is gold plating, a simple, sharp tipped probe, silicone leads, the ability to do its rated current, and if they're nice and long that would definitely be appreciated. It is in the Jaycar leads.

Now, what do I want in the smaller, cheaper kit? I don't really want a kit. I just want some cheap, dependable little test lead sets, that again, can do their rated current and not melt, and are a simple, no frills product. I don't need gold plating, don't really need silicone (though would be nice if everything is silocne, I love it so much!), all I want is just some leads that do what they say on the tin and no more. I have a few other multimeters, such as clamp meters, so even then, amps rating is not all that crucial. But I just want to have spare leads in the car, toolbox, etc, as I have a few older multimeters around that do still work, but the leads are long gone, or junk to begin with.

Jeez, this is way too much waffle for two basic questions. Apologies in advance!

-Rory

--- End quote ---

todd_fuller:
Many people like the ProbeMaster leads: https://probemaster.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads/

Good stuff and not exorbitantly priced.

//Matt//:
Yes, the probe master ones seem good. Some people like the Brymen leads. They are even cheaper at around 15 AUD.
https://brymen.eu/shop/silicone-test-leads-bl21s2-t4sc-brymen/

tooki:
I love Probe Master probes.

--- Quote from: rawrs on April 16, 2019, 01:22:12 pm ---All I want in the awesome probes, is gold plating, a simple, sharp tipped probe, silicone leads, the ability to do its rated current, and if they're nice and long that would definitely be appreciated. It is in the Jaycar leads.
--- End quote ---
Probe Master meets all of these criteria easily. Sharp enough to easily draw blood, gold plating so good it makes even the worst continuity testers work great, large choice of banana plugs and cord lengths (including custom), superbly soft, limp wire that meets its specs. (For what it’s worth, I found longer leads to be only a nuisance, since leads longer than arms length mean you’re too far from the meter to see the reading!)

I’m pretty sure the banana (“lantern”) tips on the jaycar probes unscrew. They’re intended for use in 4mm European power outlets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version