Author Topic: Fluke 87v Reading Low Voltage  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Prizm11Topic starter

Fluke 87v Reading Low Voltage
« on: May 14, 2022, 02:43:57 am »
I recently purchased a used Fluke 87v from an auction. I put new fuses in the unit and a fresh 9v battery. When I set to the voltage setting and test a new 9V battery it reads .222V, and any other battery I test reads way low as well.

Has anyone here experienced this problem?
Thank you
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:00:23 pm by Prizm11 »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 87v Reading Low Voltage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 07:50:01 am »
Were the fuses inside it blown/missing?

Sounds like you bought a damaged meter.

Offline wertyu

• Contributor
    • Welder repair blog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 09:15:46 am »
If the fuses were gone that is not a good sign , you were set to DC not being funny done it myself in the past.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:46:05 am »
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Do NOT EVER try to measure the voltage of the battery fitted in the meter; the common terminal is NOT the battery -ve, and you will likely fry the regulators.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 01:31:23 pm »
Just to clarify, the fuses were missing when the unit was purchased. I tested a known good 9V battery outside the unit - not the battery inside the unit itself. I then bought 2 new fuses, inserted them, tested the same battery and the readings were still the same.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 01:43:09 pm »
Ok so you measure voltage from a good 9v battery and get very low reading. I think the meter is damage. It would measure voltage fine without the fuses. Second thought. Are the test leads good? At work we are rough with the meters and mostly we have bad test leads. We don't damage meters that often.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 02:22:36 pm »
i think fuses only for amperage mode connected to A, mA jacks... are you sure you are in Vdc mode? not Vac? the first mode you have to pass in order to get to Vdc mode. if its Vdc, then DMM damaged, diy/warranty/factory repair is required, ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 03:17:07 pm »
Send it to Fluke under warranty. What's the worst that can happen?

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 03:50:27 pm »
Yes I'm in VDC mode for sure - the V with the 3 dots and line above that (2nd setting from the off position going clockwise - photo attached). The leads from another meter were plugged in and I get the same low voltage.

I'd prefer a repair attempt on my own if I knew what to replace/repair -- Fluke would charge an arm and a leg and being purchased 2nd-hand it's most likely out of warranty.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 03:52:33 pm by Prizm11 »

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 04:08:45 pm »
Well send it to Fluke. The 87V has lifetime warranty. Fluke doesn't ask for receipt. Just the serial number. I have a number of Fluke meters repaired/replaced under their lifetime warranty. Don't attempt to fix it yourself before contacting Fluke.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 04:13:12 pm »
I'd prefer a repair attempt on my own if I knew what to replace/repair -- Fluke would charge an arm and a leg and being purchased 2nd-hand it's most likely out of warranty.

Repairs may be very difficult if a proprietary (unobtainable by you at reasonable cost) part has failed.

I would just take the back cover off and make sure nothing is visibly burned up as it would be in case of a massive overvoltage.  You can also check the input protection components to make sure they are OK, but don't do any soldering or further disassembly.  If nothing is obvious, button it back up and clean it a bit and go to Fluke's RMA site and see if it lets you enter an in-warranty RMA.  If it does, then mail it back to them and see what they do.  There's a very good chance you'll get a working meter back from them, although it may take some time these days.  I would make sure the fuses are the correct OEM versions--or at least look just like them--just so they don't get the idea that the meter has been abused or misrepaired.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: wertyu, AVGresponding

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 04:17:04 pm »
I sent in a 287 recently. I had my RMA on Jan 27 2022. Fluke received the meter on Feb 02 2022 and I got brand new replacement meter back on May 12 2022. The replacement meter was made April 2022. Fluke told me they have a 90 back order of stuff.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 04:19:52 pm »
BeBuLamar / bdunham7 - thanks for the advice. I just got done sending a message to them so I'll just wait for their reply.

Offline wertyu

• Contributor
    • Welder repair blog
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 09:32:39 pm »
Well send it to Fluke. The 87V has lifetime warranty. Fluke doesn't ask for receipt. Just the serial number. I have a number of Fluke meters repaired/replaced under their lifetime warranty. Don't attempt to fix it yourself before contacting Fluke.

Interesting -  did not know that.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 09:34:28 pm »
I think there was a reason for this meter wasn't sold with fuses.
Also from the picture the display is too washed.
It should look  like in this photo.
I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Good luck with RMA!

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 06:08:05 am »
The washed look on the display of my photo was likely due to the flash of my camera-- it happens all the time. I contacted Fluke and they asked me to start an RMA so with any luck at all I could get it fixed without paying too much (if any at all) for the repairs.. that'll be up to them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf