Author Topic: Chasing good/awesome quality multimeter/test lead kits, as well as cheap leads.  (Read 6208 times)

Offline rawrsTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi all,

I feel like this question may have been done to death, but I'm buggered if I can find it! So, please do accept my sincerest apologies for clogging the forum up if this question has been asked before and I simply missed it because I'm a numpty.

I am after two distinct, yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

Wait, hang on, that was the telly. OK, enough goofing around, I just had to.

I am after two types of multimeter test leads that are both good quality and reasonably priced. I assume they would exist in China, just I wouldn't know where to start. The vast, overwhelming majority of these test lead sets are not branded, so I have no idea what they are like.

Basically, I want an awesome test lead kit for my baby - my UNi-T UT181A. I guess I want something this kit would do for all the weird and wonderful jobs I might need to do some day.

In addition to my baby's kit, I want awesome basic probes, and awesome alligator clips. The probes are most important, though. I want them to be silocne, and I want them to be gold plated. Most importantly, I want them to be able to do 10 bloody amps like they are supposed to. Now, Jaycar have such *fairly* awesome leads, but they are not gold plated, and somewhat annoyingly, they have permanent banana plugs on them. Don't get me wrong, when I am doing power supply stuff, they are so damn handy, but every other tiime, they tend to get in the way. I have a set of these probes and they will remain in my daily carry.

All I want in the awesome probes, is gold plating, a simple, sharp tipped probe, silicone leads, the ability to do its rated current, and if they're nice and long that would definitely be appreciated. It is in the Jaycar leads.

Now, what do I want in the smaller, cheaper kit? I don't really want a kit. I just want some cheap, dependable little test lead sets, that again, can do their rated current and not melt, and are a simple, no frills product. I don't need gold plating, don't really need silicone (though would be nice if everything is silocne, I love it so much!), all I want is just some leads that do what they say on the tin and no more. I have a few other multimeters, such as clamp meters, so even then, amps rating is not all that crucial. But I just want to have spare leads in the car, toolbox, etc, as I have a few older multimeters around that do still work, but the leads are long gone, or junk to begin with.

Jeez, this is way too much waffle for two basic questions. Apologies in advance!

-Rory

Offline rawrsTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi all,

I feel like this question may have been done to death, but I'm buggered if I can find it! So, please do accept my sincerest apologies for clogging the forum up if this question has been asked before and I simply missed it because I'm a numpty.

I am after two distinct, yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

Wait, hang on, that was the telly. OK, enough goofing around, I just had to.

I am after two types of multimeter test leads that are both good quality and reasonably priced. I assume they would exist in China, just I wouldn't know where to start. The vast, overwhelming majority of these test lead sets are not branded, so I have no idea what they are like.

Basically, I want an awesome test lead kit for my baby - my UNi-T UT181A. I guess I want something this kit would do for all the weird and wonderful jobs I might need to do some day.

In addition to my baby's kit, I want awesome basic probes, and awesome alligator clips. The probes are most important, though. I want them to be silocne, and I want them to be gold plated. Most importantly, I want them to be able to do 10 bloody amps like they are supposed to. Now, Jaycar have such *fairly* awesome leads, but they are not gold plated, and somewhat annoyingly, they have permanent banana plugs on them. Don't get me wrong, when I am doing power supply stuff, they are so damn handy, but every other tiime, they tend to get in the way. I have a set of these probes and they will remain in my daily carry.

All I want in the awesome probes, is gold plating, a simple, sharp tipped probe, silicone leads, the ability to do its rated current, and if they're nice and long that would definitely be appreciated. It is in the Jaycar leads.

Now, what do I want in the smaller, cheaper kit? I don't really want a kit. I just want some cheap, dependable little test lead sets, that again, can do their rated current and not melt, and are a simple, no frills product. I don't need gold plating, don't really need silicone (though would be nice if everything is silocne, I love it so much!), all I want is just some leads that do what they say on the tin and no more. I have a few other multimeters, such as clamp meters, so even then, amps rating is not all that crucial. But I just want to have spare leads in the car, toolbox, etc, as I have a few older multimeters around that do still work, but the leads are long gone, or junk to begin with.

Jeez, this is way too much waffle for two basic questions. Apologies in advance!

-Rory

Offline todd_fuller

• Contributor
Many people like the ProbeMaster leads: https://probemaster.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads/

Good stuff and not exorbitantly priced.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, asupsp700

Offline //Matt//

• Contributor
Yes, the probe master ones seem good. Some people like the Brymen leads. They are even cheaper at around 15 AUD.
https://brymen.eu/shop/silicone-test-leads-bl21s2-t4sc-brymen/

The following users thanked this post: lebeno

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
I love Probe Master probes.

Probe Master meets all of these criteria easily. Sharp enough to easily draw blood, gold plating so good it makes even the worst continuity testers work great, large choice of banana plugs and cord lengths (including custom), superbly soft, limp wire that meets its specs. (For what it’s worth, I found longer leads to be only a nuisance, since leads longer than arms length mean you’re too far from the meter to see the reading!)

I’m pretty sure the banana (“lantern”) tips on the jaycar probes unscrew. They’re intended for use in 4mm European power outlets.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
I'm not sure of the value of gold plating (and if it would survive high current use), if you remove that requirement the choices open up substantially.

Fluke moved much (all?) their manufacturing to china, and sell cheaper priced options into that market. Thanks to the free market and enterprising people you can access those discount prices on exactly the same items that are available locally for 10x higher prices.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
I am in love with my probemaster probes.  They are wonderful, and they fit all your wants.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Yes, the probe master ones seem good. Some people like the Brymen leads. They are even cheaper at around 15 AUD.
https://brymen.eu/shop/silicone-test-leads-bl21s2-t4sc-brymen/

I have multiple sets of the Brymen leads.  Very good quality for the price.  I recently picked up a Fluke 110 for my tool bag for work.  Promptly tossed the crappy leads that came with it and added a set of the Brymen leads.  The meter has better accuracy on resistance settings with the Brymen than the OEM.  That is important to my use.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline gabeeg

Another vote for Probe Master leads, vastly better than the half-dozen OEM probes that I have.  Soft, heavy, sharp, comfortable.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Pomona's are pretty good too, IMHO.

Offline Photoman

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
Another vote for the ProbeMaster probes.  They are extremely sharp and great for poking through old crusty flux or getting below the oxidation on a board.
Just watch your fingers, especially on needle probes.  The needle probes are great as well.

I also have a few sets of the Fluke TL175's.  Great for everyday electrical use.  Not as sharp as the ProbeMasters but good enough.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Pomona's are pretty good too, IMHO.
Pomona (which is Fluke) is very good, but Probe Master is better.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
I recently picked up a Fluke 110 for my tool bag for work.  Promptly tossed the crappy leads that came with it and added a set of the Brymen leads.

i'm surpriesd the Fluke fanboyz have not flooded this thread yet!  ;D

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
It's a shame you're not in the UK, these Metrix ones with Siba fuses are still available (they were quite popular on here a while back)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metrix-Electronics-fused-probe-MX67-meter-Fluke-meters/372374118197?epid=11008589837&hash=item56b33a1f35:g:JyUAAOSwIBNbUIP3&frcectupt=true

You do need to provide your own red sleeve identifier though (they only come in black).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:07:08 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Franky (99centhobbies on eBay) has both the Brymen probes and also decent accessories. He is also on this forum, so if you need something specific, just ping him.

Offline cjs

• Contributor
  • Software geek
On the "very cheap and pretty decent" side are leads like this that I picked up from AliExpress. (Various vendors there seem to sell the same ones.) They're gold plated (and you can tell the difference when doing continuity tests), sharp enough that I've hurt myself on them several times (which I've never done with "regular" leads) and the silicone wire is very soft and drapes easily.

I don't know how these compare to really good leads like ProbeMaster, nor do I know how much I would trust them with 20 amp currents, but they're definitely a lot better than the leads that have come with any scope I've ever seen, including Flukes. And they're under US $5.

That UT181A looks like a pretty nice meter! I noticed it's selling for only ¥405 (about US $3.60) on amazon.co.jp so I ordered one. I do have this funny feeling they're going to cancel my order and refund my money, though....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:18:30 pm by cjs »

The following users thanked this post: stj

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
My best leads are all ones which I made myself using test lead wire, probes, banana plugs, and alligator or grabber clips.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
On the "very cheap and pretty decent" side are leads like this that I picked up from AliExpress. (Various vendors there seem to sell the same ones.) They're gold plated (and you can tell the difference when doing continuity tests), sharp enough that I've hurt myself on them several times (which I've never done with "regular" leads) and the silicone wire is very soft and drapes easily.

thanks for posting that, i'll try a set.
they look perfect for probing for shorts on smd pcb's  :-+

Offline cjs

• Contributor
  • Software geek
they look perfect for probing for shorts on smd pcb's  :-+

I forgot to mention, they also go into the holes in breadboards and seem to make pretty good contact, which is pretty darn convenient.

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
Is there really value in the gold plating beyond the first dozen readings, if that?  It's a microscopic coating that just rubs off.  Am I incorrect?

If not, then the material the lead tip is made from is primary.  My experience with cheaper leads is that the tips bend too easily.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Is there really value in the gold plating beyond the first dozen readings, if that?

Yes.

It's a microscopic coating that just rubs off.  Am I incorrect?

I'm sure it will eventually but it takes a long time.

If anybody's after some really really sharp gold leads then the ones they sell on Aliexpress for $3-$4 are awesome.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=gold+test+leads

These ones:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:08:54 pm by Fungus »

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
The ~$3 cheap fine tip probes have worked terribly for me. They are high impedance and the wire almost always pulls out from the banana terminal jack over time leading to intermittent, unreliable probes. I would highly suggest to avoid those probes completely.

I have found these banana to fine-tip adapters to be quite good and inexpensive:

Rigid machined tips:
Often called "HT307 Back Pinning Probes"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185355798255

semi-rigid sewing-pin tips:
Also called "HT307 Back Pinning Probes"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124872761607

both of these fine-tip to banana jack adapters are lower impedance and more consistent than then cheapo $3 fine tip probes. The down side is the adapters are not comfortable to hold like the cheapo probes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 04:59:23 pm by salvagedcircuitry »
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Awesome test leads would not have any alligator, clips or other nonsense but dedication interface to DUT or solid connection.  ;)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Is there really value in the gold plating beyond the first dozen readings, if that?  It's a microscopic coating that just rubs off.  Am I incorrect?
Yes, you’re incorrect. Probe Master gold tips are still gold after years of use, and it makes a real difference.

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf