Author Topic: cheap calibration for 34401A in California Bay Area?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
cheap calibration for 34401A in California Bay Area?
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »
I am the proud owner of a new-to-me HP34401A. It appears to have been never calibrated, aside from at the factory (calibration count 35) and that was in April of 1997.

So it's due.

Of course, I'm a hobbyist, so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. I do not have access to any more accurate equipment myself.

Thanks,
Dave J

PS -- the unit really really stinks of Old Spice and, I think, menthol cigarettes. I can smell it in any room I take it into. Anybody have any advice for cleaning? I've already run the bumpers through the dishwasher and scrubbed the external case down with soap, baking soda, and vinegar, all to no avail. I obviously don't want to go inside the unit, and I can't imagine it would need it anyway, since it's not a vented design. Looking for ideas!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: cheap calibration for 34401A in California Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:22:01 pm »
kitty litter.  lol.  but its been listed as one way to deoderize smokey old ebay items.

I got stuck with an hp power supply that was nasty, like yours sounds.  tried febreeze (lots of it) and kitty litter.  kept a fan over it and left it outside for days (in dry summer days).  it just took lots of time in a clean air room for the smell to finally go away.  chemical cleaners didn't seem to help.  time in a clean area (like, a year!) was the only thing that really did the trick.

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my lab/shed is not sufficiently ventilated for this purpose. Looking forward to leaving it out on  some sunny warm days, and will store the unit somewhere that gets good airflow!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:31:49 pm »
last year, I had to move a lot of my lab gear into storage and it sat there (in a garage-like storage locker) for most of a whole year.  when I moved it all out, I noticed the smell was essentially all gone.

there wasn't any airflow in there (minimal) so it had to just be 'time' in a non-smelly room that caused it to finally chill out ;)

I really complained to the ebay seller, too; for something this odorous should have been described as such.  its the honest thing to do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf