Author Topic: cheap WIFI for SDS1000x-e  (Read 7131 times)

Offline Bob SavaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
cheap WIFI for SDS1000x-e
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:28 pm »
If you need WIFI and feel that Siglent wifi feature is pretty expensive than I'm happy to report that SDS1104x-e works well with VONETS AP bridge (mini300 is ~$15 on Ali). 
This tiny, one port, bridge plugs into USB and ethernet of the scope while it's configured to connect to your WIFI.  It's seamless after setup, and, as a bonus, twice as fast as OEM module.

For so those who do not want chinese firmware - it can be flashed with OpenWRT.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/vonets/vonets_mini300

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:50:15 pm by Bob Sava »

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab, bmdaly, Coldblackice, dymbo, chukker, Lucky-Luka, Corner

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: cheap WIFI for SDS1000x-e
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »
The recommenced WiFi dongle is TL_WN725N and it's easily found from many other sources than Siglent.

Under $10 on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-Nano-USB-Wireless-Adapter-V2-2-Wi-Fi-150Mbps-Mac-Windows-New/262430643790?epid=1030470873&hash=item3d1a15d64e:g:QcsAAOSw~OdVYv0Z

Most should be able to find them in PC part shops and I get them locally for ~$15
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:00:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Coldblackice, Apofview, Trader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:14 pm »
Yes, official WIFI dongle is slick and less cables, however, you need to buy a licence for $49 to use it.   WIFI bridge is like ethernet to the scope so no lic needed and it likely works with SDS1202x-e which does not have WIFI USB option.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:13:13 pm »
Yes, official WIFI dongle is slick and less cables, however, you need to buy a licence for $49 to use it.   WIFI bridge is like ethernet to the scope so no lic needed and it likely works with SDS1202x-e which does not have WIFI USB option.
So you're connecting it to the LAN jack, right ?

Would you like to show a pic of how you have it set up for those following along ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:30 pm »
There are two cables - usb and ethernet.  USB plugs in to USB port for power and Ethernet to ethernet port on the scope.  Once configured, WIFI bridge will appear to the scope like a switch.

To configure, plug it into your computer (ethernet and USB).  Once PC acquires IP and gateway (PC has to be configured for DHCP),  type gateway IP (going to http://vonets.cfg may also work) in the browser to go to setup page which lists all available WIFI.  Select your WIFI, enter WIFI password and save.  From now on, any ethernet device connected to it will be transparently linked with the rest of your network over WIFI.

The following users thanked this post: toli, tautech, Coldblackice, Apofview

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:03:10 pm »
With the minor caveat that these things usually mangle the MAC address or otherwise aren't really transparent.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 01:57:10 pm »
IPv4 this scope supports will be no issue especially with only one device, IPv6 is a different matter but not applicable here.  The only concern I have with this device is that firmware is closed source, it's from China and likely vulnerable to exploits that will not be patched (but that's probably also applicable to Siglent's own USB WIFI implementation).  This is why I plan to flash it with OpenWRT.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
IPv4 this scope supports will be no issue especially with only one device, IPv6 is a different matter but not applicable here.

Whether it uses v4 or v6 is irrelevant, if it's not really transparent it's not transparent. Just pointing out the flaws of consumer bridging - nobody supports WDS.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:23:09 pm »
Good point about WDS.  In this case WDS is not needed.

Offline TWMIV

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:33 am »
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD

This will do that as well and can be setup to be transparent, act as a vpn tunnel, or a multitude of other things.

Offline slodat

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 03:01:16 am »
Thank you for posting this. $20 and I'm up and running on wifi!

Very cool!

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 09:56:57 am »
IPv4 this scope supports will be no issue especially with only one device, IPv6 is a different matter but not applicable here.  The only concern I have with this device is that firmware is closed source, it's from China and likely vulnerable to exploits that will not be patched (but that's probably also applicable to Siglent's own USB WIFI implementation).  This is why I plan to flash it with OpenWRT.

Siglent's "wifi implementation" is the the same implemented in every other busybox linux kernel, so no more or less susceptible to exploit than any other busybox device. The SCPI interface is far more dangerous IMO than the wifi aspect. Purchasing a TL WN725N per tautech's suggestion is the cheapest option (assuming you already have the WIFI option code to license the feature.)
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

Offline chukker

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 06:53:31 pm »
The Vonets bridge wifi approach worked well for me. Easy to set up and fast. THANKS!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf