Author Topic: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs  (Read 27637 times)

gf, bux98, Antonio90, CastleCustodain, Mechatrommer, Caliaxy, tggzzz, Domitronic, skander36, ggchab, vk6zgo, Hexley, 2N3055, ebourg (+ 1 Hidden) and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2024, 09:25:50 pm »
(maybe we can hack in a mini audio jack...)
I believe someone already got sound on it, in some game or something like that. Probably via a USB sound card. No need to hack in an audio jack.

It has a beeper, but... awful for music.

Online awakephdTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2024, 07:28:56 pm »
I continue to learn from and enjoy the comments. Now I just need the money and the spousal approval. I am leaning towards the Siglent, but so far availability seems to be severely limited. I assume this will get better over the next couple of months?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2024, 07:37:08 pm »
Yup. It's a new product. Rollouts are always like this. Within a couple of months I would expect stock to be normal.

I want the SDS3000XHD, which isn't in stock either. Thankfully, there will be PLENTY of stock and probably discounts by the time I can afford it. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online CastleCustodain

« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2024, 07:58:49 pm »
This thread has definitely helped me decide. I was leaning Siglent before, but I at least understand why (besides specs). I mostly do repairs so either would more than suit my needs. I am actually really excited about the possibilities of making my own probes. Plus that ui seems much more to my tastes.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2024, 08:32:59 pm »
This thread has definitely helped me decide. I was leaning Siglent before, but I at least understand why (besides specs). I mostly do repairs so either would more than suit my needs. I am actually really excited about the possibilities of making my own probes. Plus that ui seems much more to my tastes.

Most types of probe are difficult to make, requiring special components. They aren't just bits or wire or coax!

Which type are you thinking of making?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online CastleCustodain

« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2024, 08:37:38 pm »
Basic differential to start with. Also the opportunity to learn how everything works the best way, by doing. But, I feel like I have fallen in the biggest rabbit hole in my life... Any recommendations?

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2024, 08:43:29 pm »
I assume this will get better over the next couple of months?
Those of us with backorders certainly hope so. :scared:
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Antonio90

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2024, 09:28:15 pm »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2024, 09:57:56 pm »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2024, 10:36:55 pm »
Oh well... ;D
And I thought you wanted to join the club. ;)
(Currently the waiting club)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline Harrow

• Contributor
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2024, 04:01:27 am »
Your message is a little ambiguous. You were leaning Siglent before.....and still are, or have changed your mind? Which UI is more to your taste?

SDS800/900X now available on Australian websites. Pricing looks lower than Rigol.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 04:11:03 am by Harrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2024, 07:14:52 pm »
SDS800/900X now available on Australian websites. Pricing looks lower than Rigol.

That brings up a thought: How much of a price differential would be needed to move someone from one of these units to the other? I realize that this is highly subjective, and maybe won't yield any useful data, but ... I'll throw it out there anyway.

To put this in concrete terms, I was thinking ahead a couple of months, wondering if Rigol will drop the price on the DHO804 when the Siglent SDS804 becomes more widely available. I'm leaning towards the Siglent, but if the Rigol were significantly cheaper, I would really wrestle with the choice. For example, if the Siglent stays at the $439 currently advertised price (advertised, but "out of stock"!), and the Rigol dropped down to, say, $359 ... given that I am a newbie who will probably never use more than 10% of either scopes' full capabilities ... and that this is purely a hobby ... would that differential lead you to go with the Rigol?

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2024, 07:52:48 pm »
To put this in concrete terms, I was thinking ahead a couple of months, wondering if Rigol will drop the price on the DHO804 when the Siglent SDS804 becomes more widely available. I'm leaning towards the Siglent, but if the Rigol were significantly cheaper, I would really wrestle with the choice. For example, if the Siglent stays at the $439 currently advertised price (advertised, but "out of stock"!), and the Rigol dropped down to, say, $359 ... given that I am a newbie who will probably never use more than 10% of either scopes' full capabilities ... and that this is purely a hobby ... would that differential lead you to go with the Rigol?

How many channels do you need? The 802X is only $339. Not that I recommend getting less than 4 channels. 😉

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2024, 08:15:15 pm »

That brings up a thought: How much of a price differential would be needed to move someone from one of these units to the other? I realize that this is highly subjective, and maybe won't yield any useful data, but ... I'll throw it out there anyway.

Lets not forget that difference is not only in number of features...
But there is difference in software quality too. Namely in how buggy devices are and how good is support effort to fix problems if they are found. So that had to be taken as relevant data point too.

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2024, 08:26:49 pm »

That's a harder to answer than it seems. If the Rigol was less than €300 I'd buy both. I would also pass on the Siglent for sure if it was over €600, and save up for a higher model. At which point I would consider it too expensive, I really don't know.
I will be able to answer the question better when my SDS804X-HD arrives.
I personally would only buy the DHO804 if I already had a higher class oscilloscope. I think the VESA mount and HDMI out are actually quite useful, but that might depend on the state of your bench.

• Contributor
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2024, 08:36:58 pm »
How many channels do you need? The 802X is only $339. Not that I recommend getting less than 4 channels. 😉

Need? Why, I need them all. Desperately. Truly, really, urgently need.

At least, that's what I'm telling my spouse. :)

More seriously, I've never used a scope with more than 2 channels, but given my interest in microcontroller projects, I can see where the extra channels could be useful. One possible example would be SPI decoding. I haven't ever "needed" that before, but then again, I haven't used SPI that much until recently, and of course haven't ever had any way to check it before. Another possibility could be tracing PWM signals, comparing the output from the microcontroller with the output from an opto-isolator and from the MOSFET to see propagation delay. (Yes, I do understand the last part of that requires careful consideration depending on voltages involved. I learned this the hard way by popping the fuse a couple of times on my old Tektronix scope. Fortunately, it suffered no harm other than the fuse!)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:52:27 pm by awakephd »

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2024, 08:42:20 pm »
For example, if the Siglent stays at the $439 currently advertised price (advertised, but "out of stock"!), and the Rigol dropped down to, say, $359 ...
I was able to secure my SDS804X-HD for $390 by committing to buy on a back-order.  Not sure if this reflects a coming price drop, :-//
Your mileage may vary.
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2024, 08:44:07 pm »
I've rarely needed more that 2 channels but, when you do, there is no substitute. It's not only SPI, if you have IR comunications of some sort via I2C, for example, you cannot probe the bus and the LEDs/photodiodes at once to debug, and that's an extremely basic use case.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2024, 08:49:49 pm »
Yes, I do understand the last part of that requires careful consideration depending on voltages involved. I learned this the hard way by popping the fuse a couple of times on my old Tektronix scope. Fortunately, it suffered no harm other than the fuse!)

That is a good reminder that you also need to budget for the appropriate class of probe.

For SPI work, consider a small cheap separate digital-domain tool, e.g. a logic analyser or protocol analyser such as a bus pirate 5.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2024, 09:44:54 pm »
But there is difference in software quality too. Namely in how buggy devices are and how good is support effort to fix problems if they are found. So that had to be taken as relevant data point too.

None is perfect.

I can put up with three of four niggles, which is all there is on my Rigol.

I don't know how many the Siglent has, I don't read those threads. Maybe somebody could let us know.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:43 pm »
More seriously, I've never used a scope with more than 2 channels, but given my interest in microcontroller projects, I can see where the extra channels could be useful. One possible example would be SPI decoding. I haven't ever "needed" that before, but then again, I haven't used SPI that much until recently, and of course haven't ever had any way to check it before. Another possibility could be tracing PWM signals, comparing the output from the microcontroller with the output from an opto-isolator and from the MOSFET to see propagation delay.

That's the least of it.

I use mine for debugging - use a pin to signal when something happens and watch for it on the 'scope.

Monitor the outputs from sensors.

There's all sorts of uses for those other channels.

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2024, 09:55:03 pm »
I can put up with three of four niggles, which is all there is on my Rigol.

I don't know how many the Siglent has, I don't read those threads. Maybe somebody could let us know.
Niggles are in the eye of the beholder .. so to speak.

For instance, I consider the screen display part of the Rigol UI to be a right old mess.  You probably don't.  I also think the power brick is just as silly as all get out, but someone that has a use case for the compact size will see it differently.

Rigol have just never floated my boat, so that history plays into it too.

There are land mines of all sorts in these threads.  People ask for a recommendation, then they get 137 different opinions based on 137 different points of view.

Assess your needs, buy soemthing that meets them.  Live with it or sell it and try again.  Life is often like that.

No help to be had.

• Contributor
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2024, 09:55:15 pm »
I was able to secure my SDS804X-HD for $390 by committing to buy on a back-order.  Not sure if this reflects a coming price drop, :-//
Your mileage may vary.
Interesting. I see that you are in Canada; I wonder if there are any USA sources that would do something similar?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2024, 09:57:33 pm »
Your mileage may vary.
Interesting. I see that you are in Canada; I wonder if there are any USA sources that would do something similar?
6% off at Saelig with their discount code would be a good start.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2024, 09:58:06 pm »
Probably worth a phone call.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf