Author Topic: Considering a new Rigol DHO924 vs. Siglent SDS120X-E model - Any Bug stoppers?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline radiohomebrewer2000Topic starter

• Contributor
Sadly, I have not found any USA sellers that have the Siglent SDS804X HD in stock.
I have found places that have the higher priced models in stock though.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
You better go with the higher prised ones.

Today i could not activate Ultraacquire, because some other function blocked it. Could not find which one. You need quite a checklist to figure out. Or restart and wait 53 seconds. Maybe it was a bug.

On another occasion, it just froze up. Thats about 1-2 crashes a day...
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor

Today i could not activate Ultraacquire, because some other function blocked it. Could not find which one. You need quite a checklist to figure out. Or restart and wait 53 seconds. Maybe it was a bug.

There is no UltraAcquire as that is a Rigol thing. I am thinking we are a bit confused about which device we are talking about here? radiohomebrewer2000 is looking for the Siglent SDS804X HD not the Rigol DHO924.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor

There is no UltraAcquire as that is a Rigol thing. I am thinking we are a bit confused about which device we are talking about here? radiohomebrewer2000 is looking for the Siglent SDS804X HD not the Rigol DHO924.

What I think is what he meant is that OP should buy SDS814xHD even at higher price because his Rigol was so infuriating...

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
What I think is what he meant is that OP should buy SDS814xHD even at higher price because his Rigol was so infuriating...

Youre spot on!
I actually bought the DHO814, because i read the DHO914 was more buggy (it seemed).

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor

The emphasize on almost a minute in bootup time, do sound like a Rigol thing.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
The emphasize on almost a minute in bootup time, do sound like a Rigol thing.
Sometimes more. I notice that when it boots longer than normal, it also boots up being not connected to wifi.
There are apparently good hardware designers and FPGA programmers at Rigol, but they can't (or don't care to) find decent UI designers and userspace software developers.

Offline radiohomebrewer2000Topic starter

• Contributor
Is there a way to mark a topic as resolved? 

I ordered the Siglent SDS814X HD from Saelig since the lower priced scopes were out of stock.  And I got notification it has been shipped and expect it next week.   

Sorry for posting double-posting this in another topic.  But I thought I would clear things up here.   This scope should work fine for me.  And if I need 200 MHz, I can "upgrade" it to 200 MHz and buy the 200 MHz scope probes I need - I do not have to get 4 probes at once.  Based on the feeling of confidence of others about this scope on these EEVBlog forums, I think I made the right choice.

The FFT Math feature with its peaks and table look really cool.   And I like how sharp it looks.  But like how another person on this site said - the scope is the main tool to get frequency and voltage for audio and RF - the multimeter is to be mainly used for DC, continuity, and resistance.  I agree with that.  Not the exact words the person used.

Does the SDS800X HD series have a built-in frequency counter so it can display a stable frequency measurement? 

I am referring to the numbers - not waveform displayed - example:  2.345 MHz.  And does it have a stable voltage measurement as well - example: 850mVp-p?  Again, only talking about the numbers - not waveform.    I ask because my old HP digital scope bounces around - the numbers - not waveform displayed.  I have recently been told ways to make it stable on my old scope - like turn average on.   Please do not reply here about this old HP scope - I created a topic for that on another EEVBlog forum at the suggestion of another person on here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/how-to-get-a-stable-measure-of-v-and-freq-using-an-oscilloscope-on-a-vfo/

Oh by the way, I have been eyeing Siglent scopes since 2022, but I decided to buy an old used HP digital scope for $55 to break myself into learning it at the time.  And if I did not really get into, I only wasted $55.  But I have really jumped into this now...  So, time to move up to a nicer scope as a reward to myself.  :) 

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Edit the subject of your first post and it will show whatever you add for the thread title. People will still respond anyway though. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: radiohomebrewer2000

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
The spec sheet should tell you the worst case "numbers" wrt accuracy.

With a 100KHz Sinewave @-20dBm from a SDG6022X our 814 shows 100.0011KHz on the counter and -19.965dBm with a cheap 50 ohm terminator, so good enough for our needs at the moment.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Does the SDS800X HD series have a built-in frequency counter so it can display a stable frequency measurement? 
Yes top right in every screenshot and you can engage additional from the Measure menu to whatever suits your requirements and have Statistics and Histograms displayed for each.

See:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293750/#msg5293750
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:11:07 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
The spec sheet should tell you the worst case "numbers" wrt accuracy.

The datasheet specifies 25 ppm. Which means that if a HAM was to measure his 145 MHz transceiver, he might be as much as 3625 Hz off. That is 29% of the channel spacing on that band.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
There are apparently good hardware designers and FPGA programmers at Rigol, but they can't (or don't care to) find decent UI designers and userspace software developers.

My guess is, that they have UI designers, but those have no clue about electronics. If they would release their sourcecode (they use 60 packages of opensource anyway), they would gain quite a bit of a lead. But then they would be hated by other manufacturers, so i guess they try to keep their "friendship" with them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 06:02:07 am by eTobey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf