Author Topic: Here's how bad Siglent's (SDS1104X-E) GUI is  (Read 7853 times)

Offline tomato

• Regular Contributor
Re: Here's how bad Siglent's (SDS1104X-E) GUI is
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 03:04:15 am »
Aren't these scopes dirt cheap?  It's tough to expect perfection from something that costs very little. On the upside, it looks like a lot of bang-for-the-buck.

Offline Bob SavaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 02:57:19 pm »
It is surprising to find simple things amiss.  Thankfully Siglent is making improvements and probe attenuation and inverted signal indicators have since been added.  Yay! 

There are still quite a few issues/inconsistencies, even in the latest 25R2 version, for example (not an exhaustive list):
o gate marker will not fade when not selected, like cursor lines do
o semitransparent measurement 'window' becomes opaque when buttons are off (and measurement window only allows 5 measurements - not enough for 4 ch scope)
o inconsistent button labels - some show what will happen when you press it, while others show current selection (Siglent's scope team just has to copy AWG team's buttons) which will toggle when pressed.
o persistence is not cleared automatically when scale changes (also would be nice to have persistence setting <1sec).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:06:40 pm by Bob Sava »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 03:25:37 pm »
Oh look, another thread where ntnico is ragging on Siglent and tautech is explaining how everything is awesome. How refreshing.

Offline Bob SavaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 01:04:03 pm »
I picked this scope knowing (and hoping) that firmware will take some time to mature.  Given recent updates it appears that Siglent is listening and willing to improve thanks in part to @tautech and other knowledgeable members posting here.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 08:21:14 am »
I picked this scope knowing (and hoping) that firmware will take some time to mature.  Given recent updates it appears that Siglent is listening and willing to improve thanks in part to @tautech and other knowledgeable members posting here.
Thanks Bob for your suggestions too but a lot of credit for the good and quick improvements must go to Performa01 plus others operating quietly behind the scenes.
He has a very open channel to Siglent engineers and some work that he's shared with me is excellent and straightforward for the engineers to understand.
We are indeed fortunate Siglent listens but not all problems can be solved quickly as some must be assigned to the periodic update cycles.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Offline The_Boots

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:45 am »
I just got mine, and I have to say that the 5 measurement limitation was a really unpleasant surprise. If it were 5 per channel, it would be fine, but if you want to compare a measurement between multiple channels, you really can't do more than one or two at a time. Then if you want to switch what you're watching, you have to cycle through the channels and pick the specific measurement for each channel one by one. Am I missing something obvious? This is my first modern scope, so I figure I must be. My $80 USB scope could do that many measurements per channel, and I know there's a lot more screen real estate on a pc, but still! This just feels stifling!
It would be nice if I could get a pop up window like the "all measurements" or "statistics" ones that I could quickly toggle that I could customize to show a few measurements from multiple channels at once... Maybe have an optional per-channel set of measurements that all swap in when I switch the active channel (when channel 1 is active, see specified measurements for channel 1, etc). Or even a few spots to save measurement configuration that can be quickly swapped.
Any of those would really help open things up assuming (again) that I'm not missing something.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf