Author Topic: Crazy eBay price  (Read 5769 times)

Offline vk6zgoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Crazy eBay price
« on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:45 am »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252008886658?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This old Soviet Oscilloscope looked worth it earlier,just as a collector's item,but I didn't make a bid.
within days,the bidding went silly,with the result being $123.50 for a very basic instrument.

A cruddy little Velleman went for $61--about $30 more than I would pay!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:36:54 am by vk6zgo »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: Crazy eBay price
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:42:36 am »
It's probably about the location - I doubt that there are very many soviet oscilloscopes outside of Europe/Asia... let alone Australia. While you could get similar ones for peanuts here (
http://elektro.bazos.sk/inzerat/51207528/Predam-osciloskop-BM463.php
http://elektro.bazos.sk/inzerat/51108845/Predam-osciloskop.php
), you'd have to pay a LOT for shipping to Australia. I'm guessing that soviet/eastern bloc instruments are pretty rare in the west. And seeing as most of the state owned manufacturers ceased to exist with the fall of communism, they are only gonna get more rare.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:50:05 am »
Crazy stuff, there is currently a 5 dollar SP Tools multimeter "not working" on Ebay AU with one bid at $1.99 and $18.25 postage, obviously someone really doesn't like stuff going into land fill.

Muttley

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:09:39 am »
It's probably about the location - I doubt that there are very many soviet oscilloscopes outside of Europe/Asia... let alone Australia. While you could get similar ones for peanuts here (
http://elektro.bazos.sk/inzerat/51207528/Predam-osciloskop-BM463.php
http://elektro.bazos.sk/inzerat/51108845/Predam-osciloskop.php
), you'd have to pay a LOT for shipping to Australia. I'm guessing that soviet/eastern bloc instruments are pretty rare in the west. And seeing as most of the state owned manufacturers ceased to exist with the fall of communism, they are only gonna get more rare.

I could sort of understand someone wanting one for historical reasons,or if they trained on one of these,but even,so,I would expect only a few bids,as a "special interest" thing.----interest or sentiment is an important consideration,but nobody likes to throw away money.

Very much more capable 'scopes have gone for not much more
On the other hand,I have seen 5MHz BWDs offered for enormous start prices.
Whether anyone bid on them,I don't know!

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:56 am »
You can get insane prices if collectors are involved - in the recent years you can see a rise in people collecting vintage tech, just for the beauty of it. I've seen a soviet ferrite core memory cube go for hundreds of EUR. There is absolutely no way that it was going to be used as anything else than a paperweight/mantelpiece.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 08:02:02 am »
Same goes for lots of vintage airplane stuff. I bought a Russian cockpit clock a while ago for already too much money, now the prices have gone up even more. The silly thing is they aren't rare at all, wouldn't surprise me if everybody in ex-Soviet countries has one.
Instruments from airliners are even worse. Try finding a cockpit clock from a Boeing for a reasonable price. Those are on eBay for $300+. You can't even use most of them without the rest of the plane and I'm pretty sure eBay is not a certified source for spare parts...

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
You can get insane prices if collectors are involved - in the recent years you can see a rise in people collecting vintage tech, just for the beauty of it.

Yeah, the prices of 5xx Teks are only rising since quite a while. Examples:
Tek 585 - 250 €
561 - 100 €
581 - 90 €
321 - 70 €
7854 (w/ keyboard) - 450 €
7603 + 7D20 - 240 €
7603 - 250 €
Every TDSxxx crapscope with blown-up PSU and electrolytic spilled everywhere - some three figure number €
A 7000 calibration fixture went for something like 200+ €
A lab cart for 300 € (what the...?)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:19:57 am by dom0 »

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
I noticed that Hameg analogue oscilloscopes have significantly increased in value in recent months as well. At one time you could take your pick of 20MHz units at around £20 on ebay UK, but not any more. I have a dozen or so in the garage, maybe time to sell them  ;D

The situation with Hamegs has been this way for a long time in Germany, probably brand awareness. The typical low-end Hameg scope with 20-50 MHz bw and 2 channels usually sells for 80-150 €.

Again, some examples to make my point...

Hameg HM204-2 (20 MHz, 2) - 190 €
HM203-7 (20 MHz, 2) - 165 €
HM203-7 - 70 €
HM203-6 - 80 €
HM203-6 - 190 €
HM203-6 - 79 €
HM103-2 (10 MHz, 1) - 110 € (what the fuck?)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:47 pm »
I noticed that Hameg analogue oscilloscopes have significantly increased in value in recent months as well. At one time you could take your pick of 20MHz units at around £20 on ebay UK, but not any more. I have a dozen or so in the garage, maybe time to sell them  ;D

The situation with Hamegs has been this way for a long time in Germany, probably brand awareness. The typical low-end Hameg scope with 20-50 MHz bw and 2 channels usually sells for 80-150 €.

Again, some examples to make my point...

Hameg HM204-2 (20 MHz, 2) - 190 €
HM203-7 (20 MHz, 2) - 165 €
HM203-7 - 70 €
HM203-6 - 80 €
HM203-6 - 190 €
HM203-6 - 79 €
HM103-2 (10 MHz, 1) - 110 € (what the fuck?)
I can see it. Love my Hameg HM-605. It's such a fun scope to use. Dead silent as there is no fan. Also small form factor.

All the parts in it are socketed and/or jelly beans. So I should be able to keep it going for awhile. Got it for under $100 but, they seem to be impossible to find currently (in US).

I got two DSOs as well so it doesn't get as much use, but like I said I quite like it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
I can see it. Love my Hameg HM-605. It's such a fun scope to use. Dead silent as there is no fan. Also small form factor.
Yep. Old CROs are really cute. It's fun to use one every now and again.

Would I go out and buy one? No. When my single-beam Hameg HM-307 dies, that's it.

PS: 'Small form factor'?  :-DD

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:19:33 pm by Fungus »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:59 pm »
Yep. Old CROs are really cute. It's fun to use one every now and again.

Would I go out and buy one? No. When my single-beam Hameg HM-307 dies, that's it.

PS: 'Small form factor'?  :-DD
Small factor for a CRO heh.

You laugh though. But I quite prefer the form factor on the HM-605 than my DS2072. It's stackable!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:58:16 am »
You can get insane prices if collectors are involved - in the recent years you can see a rise in people collecting vintage tech, just for the beauty of it.

Yeah, the prices of 5xx Teks are only rising since quite a while. Examples:
Tek 585 - 250 €
561 - 100 €
581 - 90 €
321 - 70 €
7854 (w/ keyboard) - 450 €
7603 + 7D20 - 240 €
7603 - 250 €
Every TDSxxx crapscope with blown-up PSU and electrolytic spilled everywhere - some three figure number €
A 7000 calibration fixture went for something like 200+ €
A lab cart for 300 € (what the...?)

On the other hand,a Tek 524AD was going free on the local Ham news broadcast here in West Oz-----& I think I could probably pick up a non-operational 545B with a Spec An plugin very cheap from an ex- employer.

I don't know why those very early Tektronix DSOs cost so much-----they are less usable than the old Soviet thing!
I suppose their historical value is quite significant,though.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:23:22 am »
The silly thing is they aren't rare at all, wouldn't surprise me if everybody in ex-Soviet countries has one.
I've yet to receive mine  >:(  :rant: Although I'm not in a post-Soviet country, rather an post-Eastern communist block country.
On the other hand,a Tek 524AD was going free on the local Ham news broadcast here in West Oz-----& I think I could probably pick up a non-operational 545B with a Spec An plugin very cheap from an ex- employer.
It's all about how much of a deal can you get - if you're lucky you can pick up amazing gear for peanuts - I've heard of research/manufacture places being closed that pretty much gave away somewhat old, but still very usable gear. If you're lucky and visit your local junkyard you can come across mills, lathes, T&M equip. etc. for the price of metal per kg - the same ones you can see on ebay going for lots of money.
I don't know why those very early Tektronix DSOs cost so much-----they are less usable than the old Soviet thing!
I suppose their historical value is quite significant,though.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I wouldn't pay hundreds of EUR for something like that, but I can understand the mindset. I've been pretty tempted to buy photomasks for old CRAY PCBs for a fair buck. The only thing that stopped me was shipping from the US.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf