Author Topic: Datron 1081 Manuals?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Datron 1081 Manuals?
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »
I just paid $275 for a Datron 1081 with some issues. From the listing, I see that there physical damage to the front panel, but the display works and the buttons seem intact. It gives an Error 7 when the self-test is run.

I'm hoping the error is an AC self-test failure, like it is on lower specced Datron meters. While I'm waiting for the unit to arrive, I'm looking to get my hands on electronic copies of the users, calibration, and service manuals. I've checked on KOBB, and Kurt's archives of manuals, and I've been crawling through Google results, but haven't had any luck so far.

Do any of you have scans of these documents you'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: Datron 1081 Manuals?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:09:46 am »
Found the Cal & Service manual here.

Still looking for the Users Manual.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:31:46 am »
If it is an AC error, that is normally caused by bad power supplies and/or relays.  (A relay with high contact resistance can act like an antenna and pick up noise generated by the power supplies which combine to cause the AC self test error.)

(Do you know that if the LOCAL/REMOTE GUARD switch is in REMOTE that you'll get an error 7?)

Check the power supply capacitors, especially C6 on the REAR PCB, and C45 to C50 on the ANALOG PCB.  (I use an ESI 253 for these measurements, except for C7 on the REAR PCB, in which case I use a GenRad 1689M.)

How I test the relays depends on what options are fitted.  If it has FRONT/REAR terminals, place the REMOTE/LOCAL GUARD switch in REMOTE and 2-WIRE/4-WIRE switch in 4-WIRE, power on the instrument, set the FRONT/REAR switch to FRONT, and measure from the front terminals to a connector that attaches to the REAR PCB.  In the top left rear, there is a 4 pin connector that connects I-, Lo, V-Guard, and ?-Guard to the REAR PCB.  (I think I use a 22 AWG pin to banana adapter to insert into the connector after removing it from the REAR PCB.)  On the bottom side, there is a 2 pin connector that connects Hi and I+ to the REAR PCB.  I check all these for < 1 ?.  I also check continuity from the rear terminals, but the self tests are from the front terminals.  This checks the FRONT/REAR relays.

For the (input) relays on the AC PCB, I pull the AC PCB input connector and check from the connector to points on the PCB (using the schematic and with the instrument powered on so that I can switch the relays).  To check all the contacts, both AC and AC+DC modes need to be tested (some tests go through both input relays).  I suppose that the relays could be tested on the relay pins, but I usually leave the insulation attached unless I have to burnish a relay.

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:11:10 am »
Thanks for the tips!  I don't have the device yet, it should be here sometime this week.

From careful inspection of the photos in the listing, it appears the Guard switch was switched to remote, so it seems you may have upgraded my Datron 1081 with a damaged case and a self-test error to a Datron 1081 with a damaged case.

Photos also show that the options listed on the back panel are 10, 20, 40, 50, 70, 90

I am going to give it a good looking over when it arrives, though I lack any good LCR or ESR meters.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:21:27 pm »
Option 80 (which you did not list) means factory configured for 115 Vac operation.  Even though someone may have already changed it, it can be changed to operate with 115 Vac line power input (instructions on REAR PCB layout in the manual that you posted a link to).

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:40 am »
Thanks. The voltage/frequency info is listed separately on the back panel. It's was originally configured for 105-127v/60Hz. I'll double check after it arrives and before I power it up.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 05:22:59 am »
Resurecting this old topic, does anybody found or has available for a decent price the Operation/Users Manual of Datron 1081/1082 (not the calibration and service manual, this is widely available, thanks God) ?

Many thanks,
 DC1MC

Offline MaxFrister

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 05:00:57 pm »
Bump.  I'm also looking for the 1081/1082 User's Handbook.  Has anyone found one of these?  The service manual is available, but I've not found the user's manual

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »
No manual here, but as a consolation bonus here's the pictures of the underbelly insert, they do show the most important operations, some of them not really obvious.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: splin, alm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf