Author Topic: DC Datalogging Multimeter  (Read 1787 times)

Offline SierraTopic starter

• Contributor
DC Datalogging Multimeter
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:38:58 pm »
Getting sick of replacing inexpensive multimeters and need to invest in something better. 

It is only used for DC applications (so true-RMS isn't of value) and needs to have the following:

1) Read and record uA

2) Datalogging either to a wired or wireless connection (PC or mac) with export to Excel. 

Have been using UNI-T UT61C meters for years and while worth their money do not last. 

Any input?

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
Re: DC Datalogging Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 09:55:10 pm »
What causes your meter to go bad?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:29:48 pm »
I'm unsure.  Have replaced fuses and I still get inaccurate readings.

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 01:12:14 am »
I asked because even cheap meter would last a long time unless subjected to hostile environment like dust, water, heat, vibration etc..

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 01:20:36 am »
I have an old Micronta hand held DVM that has a serial RS-232 port.  Would that help?

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 01:56:50 am »
I'm happy with my pair of these

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/au/products/test-and-measurement/single-channel-digital-multimeter/rs-hmc8012-digital-multimeter_63493-44315.html

Not sure on your budget but they do pretty well for the money.

I love that I can leave something logging long term without having it plugged into my laptop as it saves to a USB drive.

My previous logging meter was a Fluke and it used to suffer from flat batteries on long tests, not a problem with this one as it's mains powered and on a UPS

It annoys me that there's some silly size limit on the USB drive, I had to fumble around in the back of my drawer to find a 2GB one as all my most recent ones were too big. Not a deal breaker though

Think they were around $500 from memory

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 02:19:48 am »
I'm happy with my pair of these

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/au/products/test-and-measurement/single-channel-digital-multimeter/rs-hmc8012-digital-multimeter_63493-44315.html

Not sure on your budget but they do pretty well for the money.

I love that I can leave something logging long term without having it plugged into my laptop as it saves to a USB drive.

My previous logging meter was a Fluke and it used to suffer from flat batteries on long tests, not a problem with this one as it's mains powered and on a UPS

It annoys me that there's some silly size limit on the USB drive, I had to fumble around in the back of my drawer to find a 2GB one as all my most recent ones were too big. Not a deal breaker though

Think they were around $500 from memory

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately not distributed in the US!  A bench top unit like this however would be fine as well.  No need for a handheld unit.  The Fluke 287 and 289 definitely seem to suffer from battery issues.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 02:21:06 am »
I have an old Micronta hand held DVM that has a serial RS-232 port.  Would that help?

It certainly could.  Any idea what type of software is required for logging?

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 05:38:07 am »
All I can say is that the meter comes with a floppy disk.  Finding a machine to read it these days may be a problem.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 07:56:45 am »
All I can say is that the meter comes with a floppy disk.  Finding a machine to read it these days may be a problem.

What model multimeter is it?

On this page starting where it says "Serial DVMs - RS has sold several DVMs that had a serial port. ..."

https://www.repeater-builder.com/radio-shack/radio-shack-index.html

there is info on the serial protocol for a few different models, eg: 22-168, 22-182, 22-812.

For the most part the PC sends a character + CR to initiate a reading and gets back an ASCII string.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 04:20:13 pm »
It is only used for DC applications (so true-RMS isn't of value) and needs to have the following:

1) Read and record uA

2) Datalogging either to a wired or wireless connection (PC or mac) with export to Excel. 

Here's another idea... build your own specialized meter with an INA226 and an Arduino. For instance, have a look at this project:

http://ardupiclab.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-arduina226-power-monitor.html (web archive link)

It's basically a 32k-count current meter with a full-scale burden voltage of 81.92mV. You select the shunt resistor to set the measurable current range.

Should be a simple Arduino project if all you need to do is to send the readings back over the serial connection and it offers the ability to customize it exactly however you want.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:21:55 pm by ledtester »

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 05:45:28 pm »
Micronta model 22-182.  Comes with disk, serial cable (for RS-232), case, and manual.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/radio-shack/22-182/22-182-owners-manual.pdf
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 05:48:18 pm by bob91343 »

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 09:04:37 pm »
Good Morning Sierra,
     I love my EEVblog 121GW.   It records to a micro SD card and a fresh set of  4-AAs last over a week.  Some users complain about accessing the micro SD card, but I leave  the blue boot off
the meter and I don't screw in the 2 screws that hold the back on.   I use it as a bench meter on low voltages, so CAT ratings don't come into play.  Also, I bought a 3D printed stand for it which holds it up at a good reading angle. :popcorn:

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 04:25:47 am »
I know this isn't the place for this so if anyone is interested in my Micronta, PM me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf