Author Topic: DC Programmable Load advice needed  (Read 8177 times)

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DC Programmable Load advice needed
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:39 pm »
Worthwhile considering Chroma's 63000 series in the same price range: http://www.chromaate.com/product/63000_series_Programmable_DC_Electronic_Load.htm   

I saw those but couldn't find anybody with advertised pricing. Do you know what price range they're in?

Offline sstepaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 08:53:17 pm »
Worthwhile considering Chroma's 63000 series in the same price range: http://www.chromaate.com/product/63000_series_Programmable_DC_Electronic_Load.htm   

I saw those but couldn't find anybody with advertised pricing. Do you know what price range they're in?
I had a proposal for 63003-150-40 - 1380 euro. It's with local taxes/shipping/etc. But Chroma said that fast resistance response is not that good (I requested like 1 ms response) with the unit (might be the same system as with Rigol/etc - which sets resistance programatically via on-board software, while Instek declared that in their dc load it is wired with analog loopback, which is a lot faster).

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 08:57:10 pm »

I had a proposal for 63003-150-40 - 1380 euro. It's with local taxes/shipping/etc. But Chroma said that fast resistance response is not that good (I requested like 1 ms response) with the unit (might be the same system as with Rigol/etc - which sets resistance programatically via on-board software, while Instek declared that in their dc load it is wired with analog loopback, which is a lot faster).

I suppose if you have requirements for ultra-low resistance/fast response time scenarios, then the GW would be better suited, as in the case of vape development. For everything else, the Chroma is better. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/63004-150-60/chroma-systems-solutions-inc

$1418, but after 10% off for first order with arrow, it's $1273 with free overnight shipping.

Offline mightyohm

• Contributor
  • Join the Resistance.
    • mightyohm.com
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 08:40:00 am »
Reviving an old thread.

It sounds like there is a lot of variation in the response time between loads that operate in constant resistance mode using a software control loop vs. those like the Instek that close the loop in hardware.
As far as I can tell, Instek doesn't advertise this feature.

I'm shopping for an electronic load, and none of the loads I've looked at spec a response time or bandwidth for the constant resistance function. This seems like an important performance parameter and one that varies considerably between electronic loads, so why isn't this specified?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 05:35:56 am »
I'm shopping for an electronic load, and none of the loads I've looked at spec a response time or bandwidth for the constant resistance function. This seems like an important performance parameter and one that varies considerably between electronic loads, so why isn't this specified?

It's because usually MOSFETs are used as regulator for DC loads, making them essentially voltage controlled resistor. In constant resistance mode control loop does not regulate much, thus load have vitrually infinite response bandwidth.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:55:17 am by ogden »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf