Author Topic: What kind of jacks are these?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline edpalmer42Topic starter

• Super Contributor
What kind of jacks are these?
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:02:08 am »
I was looking at an auction listing that was very interesting.  But the unit has output jacks that I've never seen before.  Normally, they'd be BNC, but these ones are baffling me.  Can anyone identify them?  I can certainly retrofit BNC jacks as long as they're not something crazy like optical or some odd differential output.  The frequency range is < 50 MHz.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, it's all I've got.  I asked the vendor for more info and/or a better picture and got no response.  Not a good sign, but it's too good a deal to pass up without some investigation.

Thanks,
Ed

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
Re: What kind of jacks are these?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:03 am »
They look like panel mount 2.54mm connectors (Molex SL for example). This looks like a matching plug: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0050579403_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml&channel=Products

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »
Hmm, not sure whether the Molex SL look like a match.
Ed, do you know the manufacturer and type number of the instrument? That might be easier than going by the small photo detail.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:03:16 pm »
Hmm, not sure whether the Molex SL look like a match.
Ed, do you know the manufacturer and type number of the instrument? That might be easier than going by the small photo detail.

I should have mentioned that.  It's a model D040 synthesizer from Programmed Test Sources.  The unit's full model number is self-documenting because it includes all the standard options but there are special options like these output connectors.  I haven't contacted them because I don't like to take up their time with something that will never result in a sale.  I hoped that the EEVBLOG hive mind would have no trouble coming up with the answer.  These connectors can't be that rare, or are they?

Ed

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »
Hmm, Programmed Test Sources does not seem to mention anything but BNC outputs in the materials available online (and SMA on some of the higher model numbers). Actually, the mounting holes shown in your photograph may be intended for BNC connectors originally. The extra opening visible above the rectangular connector looks just like the flat top of a D-shaped hole for a BNC. Maybe someone retrofitted those connectors, and you can easily revert to BNC?

EDIT: For just 70 bucks, I would take the plunge!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:36:30 pm by ebastler »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »
Hmm, Programmed Test Sources does not seem to mention anything but BNC outputs in the materials available online (and SMA on some of the higher model numbers). Actually, the mounting holes shown in your photograph may be intended for BNC connectors originally. The extra opening visible above the rectangular connector looks just like the flat top of a D-shaped hole for a BNC. Maybe someone retrofitted those connectors, and you can easily revert to BNC?

EDIT: For just 70 bucks, I would take the plunge!  ;)

Yes, there's no way to tell whether it's a factory option or a user retrofit.  And yes, the $70 price is attractive.  However, consider the following:
1.  An experienced seller of test equipment with a 100% rating
2.  who prices the unit suspiciously low
3.  and ignores a question about the unit's apparently unknown connectors
4.  and don't forget about shipping and customs which doubles the price - literally!
5.  For an untested unit.

Nope.  Too many red flags for me.  Maybe it's a trivial retrofit, maybe not.  I've found that when dealing with ebay, a little paranoia isn't a bad thing!  ;)

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf