Author Topic: Decent PSU for a HAM Transceiver Required...  (Read 14228 times)

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
Re: Decent PSU for a HAM Transceiver Required...
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:21 pm »
I've been quite happy with my Samlex SEC-1223.  Been running various 100W rigs for about 10 years.
They make a 30 Amp version, the SEC-1235 as well.

Randy, K5HJ

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:42 pm »
I've been quite happy with my Samlex SEC-1223.  Been running various 100W rigs for about 10 years.
They make a 30 Amp version, the SEC-1235 as well.

Randy, K5HJ

Hi Randy,

Yeah I have read good things about the Samlex, but again it's not available over here in the UK, I can't figure out why there are no decent PSU's for sale over here :(

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 04:31:02 pm »
Hate to hear you can't get the Samlex, like Randy, I was also going to recommend it.  Works very well and have used it on various HF radios over the years.  The Ten-Tec Model 941 is another great PSU; I can't hear it on HF.  Hope to get to work you on the bands my friend, I'm mostly on PSK31/BPSK63 on 20m.

I'm still new to EEVblog but it's a great community.  Lots of folks smarter than me here but I'm not afraid to "jump in" -- http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/SM220-BS-8-with-TS530S.pdf

73 de KJ4AUR

Nathan

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 08:58:00 pm »
I also recommend the Samlex - maybe you could look at importing one? I have several of them powering multiple HF and VHF rigs, no noise at all. They are also very small, generally affordable and you can find schematics online if you ever need to do a repair yourself.
VE7FM

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:52 am »
I also recommend the Samlex - maybe you could look at importing one? I have several of them powering multiple HF and VHF rigs, no noise at all. They are also very small, generally affordable and you can find schematics online if you ever need to do a repair yourself.

Yeah I wouldn't mind trying a Samlex, but I don't think they make one for the voltage in the UK?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 08:50:58 am »
Yeah I have read good things about the Samlex, but again it's not available over here in the UK, I can't figure out why there are no decent PSU's for sale over here :(
Much smaller market...HAM was never as big over there.

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:42 am »
So an update...

I went to a ham fair on the weekend and picked up a brand new Microset HSB-135:

http://www.microset.net/products/alimentatori/al20/al20en.html

This is an industrial Switcher for Radio and Telecoms use and has a nice built in 12v UPS system if I use a battery.

Well it seems to work great and can't detect any noise on HF, however I was curious about something...

I popped the cover off and noticed that the IEC Mains input socket Earth terminal is not connected to anything, the chassis earth is connected across X or Y caps across the AC input.
It is all CE marked, why have they not connected and earth from the IEC mains input socket?

Also next to the DC output sockets there is a terminal with a Ground/Earth symbol on it, they make no mention of it in the manual and this connects directly to the chassis inside.
Why is this like it? Is it an isolated ground/earth but will have a small current of high voltage on it from the X/Y caps? Or is it meant to be electrically earthed?

I was going to put a female spade inside on the IEC earth pin and tie it to the chassis, is this a good or bad idea?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf