Products > Test Equipment

DG1000Z Arbitrary Waveform Function Generator

(1/9) > >>

thewyliestcoyote:
I am in need of a basic arb gen with somewhere about 50MHz of bandwidth. I really like the deep memory of the DG1000Z and the cost.

My first question is anyone have anything good or bad to say about this instrument?

How is the Rigol software? any good or will I have to write my own?

Does anyone know of a "hack" to enable the 60 MHz bandwidth on the 30 MHz version and some of the software options? or would I be the first to try?

Thanks,
Wylie

Wuerstchenhund:

--- Quote from: thewyliestcoyote on November 06, 2014, 07:27:40 am ---I am in need of a basic arb gen with somewhere about 50MHz of bandwidth. I really like the deep memory of the DG1000Z and the cost.

My first question is anyone have anything good or bad to say about this instrument?

How is the Rigol software? any good or will I have to write my own?

--- End quote ---

Well, this forum does actually have a search function you could have used, which would have lead you to a review I wrote not too long ago:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dg1062z-arbitrary-waveform-generator-short-review/msg512306/#msg512306

thewyliestcoyote:

--- Quote ---Well, this forum does actually have a search function you could have used, which would have lead you to a review I wrote not too long ago:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dg1062z-arbitrary-waveform-generator-short-review/msg512306/#msg512306
--- End quote ---

Yeah I had seen that before writing this, I found that very interesting and thanks for the great information, but I always love to hear a couple persons options on something. In the case they have some special use or option on the mater. I have heard varying things about the Rigol software and it seems like I my have to write my own to fix some of my needs. I and my your as well would love to see the insides of this instrument. Is the bandwidth controlled by software? and can this be changed?

Wuerstchenhund:

--- Quote from: thewyliestcoyote on November 06, 2014, 06:19:56 pm ---I have heard varying things about the Rigol software and it seems like I my have to write my own to fix some of my needs.
--- End quote ---

It's been a while since I wrote that review, and after some serious use my opinion that the software is really bad has only been reinforced. Why manufacturers like Rigol believe they can get away with such piss-poor programs is beyond me. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have much time to write my own, which is why I'm considering splashing out the money for a Tek AWG which works with ArbExpress.

--- Quote ---I and my your as well would love to see the insides of this instrument. Is the bandwidth controlled by software? and can this be changed?

--- End quote ---

My guess would be that the 30MHz version is limited by software and that the hardware is the same, but that's just a guess.
I doubt that the 60MHz version can be hacked for a higher bandwidth, though.

What would be interesting however would be a hack to enable the full 16M of sample memory.

thewyliestcoyote:

--- Quote ---It's been a while since I wrote that review, and after some serious use my opinion that the software is really bad has only been reinforced. Why manufacturers like Rigol believe they can get away with such piss-poor programs is beyond me. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have much time to write my own, which is why I'm considering splashing out the money for a Tek AWG which works with ArbExpress.
--- End quote ---

So when I get mine I will be sure to write something and post it for the world to use. I am at Python and C/C++ guy, what you think of using Qt for the application? and only doing connection over Ethernet to save the complexity of USB and drivers. What function do you think is needed in a software package for a arb gen?

--- Quote ---My guess would be that the 30 MHz version is limited by software and that the hardware is the same, but that's just a guess.
I doubt that the 60MHz version can be hacked for a higher bandwidth, though.

What would be interesting however would be a hack to enable the full 16M of sample memory.
--- End quote ---
I am interested to try to hack it for bandwidth of the 30 MHz and the memory. I am not sure why the 60 MHz would have more bandwidth, as it is 60 MHz is close to the Nyquist sampling limit of 100 MHz for the 200MSPS. This is not even counting the need for oversampling to lower distortion and improve effective resolution.

I am surprised that I have not found anything on software hacks for the Rigol DG1000 and DG1000Z.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version