Author Topic: Which BNC dust caps  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Which BNC dust caps
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 11:13:13 am »
These are the style of cheap plastic BNC dust caps I bought a while back on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113895736455

I got them from a different seller, and the original listing is now gone but it was from a seller called rfsupplier who also has metal BNC dust caps.  Those can be found on ebay easily "bnc dust caps", and are available with or without the center pin.  I prefer without the pin to avoid any connector (mechanical tolerance) or equipment (shorted output) damage.  Of course, you could just use cheap 50 ohm terminators.

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 11:57:32 am »
   It's usually just called "heat shrink tubing" in the US but the clear stuff isn't common.  Black is the most common color, followed by red, white, etc.

I have all sort of heat-shrinks but I had the impression that those transparent ones shown on the photos are much thicker. I'm currently using heat-shrink to cover the BNCs but the problem is that they are usually quite thin so it's a bit of a PITA to insert/ extract them from the BNCs. Thus, I'm looking for something thicker.

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 01:41:32 pm »
Here is my first attempt, which does not look very nice, but it has the best stability:

The white one works, but you can easily compress it, whereas the black one is flexible enough, but cannot be compressed at all!

From above, to show the difference in thickness in contrast to the cheap white one:

I think I bought the good one from conrad:

Cheers!  ;)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 04:57:34 pm »
Can anyone confirm Caplugs AS138-14A (yellow), AS138-14B (electrostatic dissipative, black) or AS138-14C (conductive, black) are the correct size for BNC?
The ebay listing in the US doesn't show the number in the picture.
Mouser have the B version at least, if it's correct.  :-//

David

The yellow plastic caps supplied with my military version of an -hp- counter are not Caplug brand, but measure 0.42 inch ID, with an interior depth of 0.625 inches.
Then cover a BNC panel jack nicely.  The markings are:
Niagara, E-2, MS90376-8Y, NAS-820-8

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 05:19:10 pm »
There are two types I use.   I use the much harder "caplugs" type in places where I need to protect against unintended impacts like my 7904A on a cart.  Everywhere else I use the soft plastic type because they seal against the connector and protect against oxidation.

The capplugs type for BNC connectors is EP-8, see the last photo
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 05:46:28 pm by graybeard »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 05:37:19 pm »
I must second the Canare recommendation. Its the only one that provides for the bayonet pins and they work well. They are also a provider to the pro video world. There connectors are also all very high quality.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »
Can anyone confirm Caplugs AS138-14A (yellow), AS138-14B (electrostatic dissipative, black) or AS138-14C (conductive, black) are the correct size for BNC?
The ebay listing in the US doesn't show the number in the picture.
Mouser have the B version at least, if it's correct.  :-//

David

The yellow plastic caps supplied with my military version of an -hp- counter are not Caplug brand, but measure 0.42 inch ID, with an interior depth of 0.625 inches.
Then cover a BNC panel jack nicely.  The markings are:
Niagara, E-2, MS90376-8Y, NAS-820-8

There are two types I use.   I use the much harder "caplugs" type in places where I need to protect against unintended impacts like my 7904A on a cart.  Everywhere else I use the soft plastic type because they seal against the connector and protect against oxidation.

The capplugs type for BNC connectors is EP-8, see the last photo

Thanks for checking, looks like NAS-820-8 is on both types and Mouser have Caplugs EP-8 for a very reasonable price; https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Caplugs/EP-8?qs=2WXlatMagcEf5NoNHgW2Ng%3D%3D
SEP-08 dissipative version is about twice the price, there are so many products on the Caplugs website I was struggling to find them yesterday.

David

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie, AVGresponding

Offline Andrew_DebbieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2022, 03:39:28 pm »
Bookmarked.   Will add to my next Mouser order.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf