Author Topic: Digital Multimeter under 200$  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Prithul0218Topic starter

• Contributor
Digital Multimeter under 200$
« on: October 02, 2019, 05:56:11 am »
Hello

I’m looking for a decent multimeter for about 180-200 USD for my bench. I am looking for something with good accuracy and possibly good precision on DC volts. DC current measurement capability of 10A or more would be nice.

It doesn’t have to be waterproof or survive drops, I don’t really want to pay extra just for these features since it will just be sitting on the bench, and maybe sometimes used around the house. It doesn’t have to be super safe from AC, with certified CAT ratings and stuff, since I don’t  work with high voltage AC. In fact I will probably only be measuring AC from a 12V transformer once in a while.

I am opening this thread particularly because not only will it help me, but I think there are hobbyists like me who are also looking for something similar, average multimeter, just for the bench, not for dropping from a mountain. There are quite a few new meters in the market but I feel the lack of a fairly recent thread discussing about good multimeters around this budget. I hope others can get help from this thread.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:22:05 am by Prithul0218 »

• Contributor
Re: Digital Multimeter under 200$
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:04:08 am »
BK Precision 2712 seemed like a good fit for my needs but, it’s a fairly old meter. Maybe there’s newer or better ones around this price.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:16:26 am by Prithul0218 »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:06:55 am »
The 121 GW is 290 aus which is ~21k yen which is about $195.  :-//

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:13:26 am »
Oops! When I saw that it wasn’t available on Amazon, I assumed it was discontinued! Sorry for not checking.

However, maybe there’s something better at this price range? Let’s see what others suggest.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 06:23:54 am »
$200 is very expensive for a home/hobby meter. $50 or so should get you something perfectly fine for non-professional use. Have you watched Dave's $50 meter shootout video? It's quite old now, but it will give you a good idea of how different meters compare and what kind of features might be useful to you. Many of the same or similar meters will still be on the market today.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:20:50 am »
How accurate?

Sounds like you want a bench dmm. You might get 4 digit at that price.
At the price range for new, you will be looking at Siglent, UniT, BK precision, etc
(Not expensive brands like Keysight, keithley or Fluke).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 07:34:17 am »
As you are in Japan look for used Advantest or ADMCT branded meters. Should be some secondhand ones out there as 2 million count 6871's or maybe 6441 etc. They turn up elsewhere in the world from time to time and my 6871-DC keeps up with my 34401 and 34461A's on DC and Ohms but there is other models out there more fully featured.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:06 am »
Hello

I’m looking for a decent multimeter for about 180-200 USD for my bench. I am looking for something with good accuracy and possibly good precision on DC volts. DC current measurement capability of 10A or more would be nice.

One word: "Brymen"

You can get a 500,000 count, 0.02% accuracy Brymen meter with that budget.

If you live in Japan you could also look at Hioki meters, they're good/cheap over there.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:41:18 am »
As you are in Japan look for used Advantest or ADMCT branded meters.

Interesting. Thanks!
Any idea where to buy used meters? Only Akihabara I guess?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 09:45:56 am »

I can't find any way to buy their meters from Japan ://

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 09:53:32 am »
As you are in Japan look for used Advantest or ADMCT branded meters.

Interesting. Thanks!
Any idea where to buy used meters? Only Akihabara I guess?

Yahoo Japan is still active I gather for secondhand goods? One of the other members Terraoperative has had some success buying secondhand in Japan. There was also several joint ventures with Tektronix and HP in the past to get into the Japanese market so possible you will find some HP gear badged with Yokagowa for example.

You will also find plenty of gear ex South Korea if you broaden your searches.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 05:33:48 pm »
Since he's in Japan, why not suggested Japanese brands? What about Hioki, Sanwa, Kyoritsu/Yokogawa?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 05:53:24 pm »

I can't find any way to buy their meters from Japan ://

TME will ship to Japan, eg: https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm857s/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/

Probably some others as well.

Something like that 857S will give you everything you need for $140+shipping.

If you want to explore the full range of meters the Brymen web site is probably best:

https://brymen.eu/product-category/multimetry/

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:58:06 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 06:02:56 pm »
It doesn’t have to be waterproof or survive drops, I don’t really want to pay extra just for these features since it will just be sitting on the bench, and maybe sometimes used around the house. It doesn’t have to be super safe from AC, with certified CAT ratings and stuff, since I don’t  work with high voltage AC. In fact I will probably only be measuring AC from a 12V transformer once in a while.

If you really, really don't care about that stuff then you can save a lot of money with a Chinese meter.

eg. This one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004463675.html

(Get two...!)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:05:56 pm by Fungus »

Offline AMR Labs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 03:18:55 am »
Check ebay for an HP 974A in good shape. 4.5 digits, Autorange, 0.05% accuracy, 49.999 count, True RMS AC up to 100KHz, dual display, Min/Max/Avg, Rel/%, dB, Hz, ... They often come up on ebay usually around $100 or sometimes even for less. With all the top features, accuracy even after that many years and excellent build quality in my opinion they are an uncommon bargain being overlooked quite often. Just setup an ebay search and one should come up soon, if not already available.

This DMM can easily stand its ground next to most modern stuff from Fluke, and is way above the generics stuff out there which look like toys next to this one. Made in Japan for HP under contract by Yokogawa, and discontinued around early 2000's.

https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000002404%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-974A/high-accuracy-handheld-multimeter?&cc=SX&lc=eng

I like them so much I've already got 4 of the 974A, plus one 973A which is one model lower in the line but has a bargraph and capacitance.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 04:32:12 am »
There are 2 Keithley 197's on eBay in the US for $50 at the moment. $35 shipping to Japan. 5 1/2 digits and better than 0.02% DC voltage.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »

I am opening this thread particularly because not only will it help me, but I think there are hobbyists like me who are also looking for something similar, average multimeter, just for the bench, not for dropping from a mountain. There are quite a few new meters in the market but I feel the lack of a fairly recent thread discussing about good multimeters around this budget. I hope others can get help from this thread.
Look at the Vici 8145 bench meter (4.5 digits). It runs on mains so it never needs new batteries and you can stack other equipment on top.

There aren't many new DMMs on the market anyway so the old threads are still relevant.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Nguyen84

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 05:49:49 pm »
How can I find a hp974a with good price? Now on eBay its 200usd!!!

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 06:08:07 pm »
I am looking for something with good accuracy and possibly good precision on DC volts.

How good?  Unless you quantify that, it's a meaningless statement.  Do you care about special features, AC bandwidth, durability, PC connectivity, logging, size, ??

There are quite a few new meters in the market but I feel the lack of a fairly recent thread discussing about good multimeters around this budget. I hope others can get help from this thread.

It's actually been quite well beaten to death and there's not a lot of new information to put out there.  The only real new variables involve your location and thus what is available to you at what price. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 10:14:55 pm »
The question would be: What means "good accuracy"? High precision or being able to hold the precision over a long period of time? I have some old fluke bench DMMs here, the oldest 40 years, and they are still within spec...

When you would use it around the house, probably a handheld DMM would be a bit better.
Anyway, when you are willing to buy used equipment, go for some reputable brand and a seller with good ratings.
Für 200 $ you can get a Fluke 87-V or similar, maybe some 17x model also would fit the bill.

As bench multimeter some old Fluke 45 could appear, as well as some HP 3478 or so- but in the latter I only would buy from sellers that can guarantee the ok state of them.

HIOKI might be some tip, the stuff they make is quite nice. A DT4252 has a base accuracy of 0,3% plus 5 counts (which is not bad, but not really good..), a DT4261 would probably what you need, but list price in the Hioki JP shop is a bit above your pricing idea...

Offline Traceless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 10:33:08 am »
Getting a good new Benchtop DMM at that price point is gonna be very hard. If 200$ is the limit you might consider the Owon XDM 2041 it has 4.5 Digits, 55k counts and can measure up to 10A current. you can even connect it to a PC via serial. The meter has some drawbacks though. For instance it can be quite slow in general, particularly so in AC mode (*1), you also don't get super high precision low-resistance measurements (500 Ohms is the lowest range available). DC accuracy is okay for the price range. The Owon XDM 2041 has a bigger 5.5 digit-brother, the Owon XDM 3051. While I have no first hand experience with the XDM 3051 Jerry Walker did a review on it in direct comparison with an Agilent 34461A and the Owon was pretty accurate at a fraction of the price (see video below, skip forward to around 21 mins for the DC-voltage comparison). I'm not sure about prices/availability in Japan. In Europe the XDM2041 should be available for <200€ the XDM 3051 for ~400€.

(*1) if slow reaction time bothers you I'd look for another meter.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:41:01 am by Traceless »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf