Author Topic: Digital multimeters sucks  (Read 14199 times)

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Digital multimeters sucks
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 01:02:42 am »
Damn we're geniuses! 8)  We just gave Dave the idea to do a "Top 10 Multimeters that suck!" youtube video series.  :-DMM   Million views in a week guaranteed!
:popcorn:

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 01:08:47 am »
Damn we're geniuses! 8)  We just gave Dave the idea to do a "Top 10 Multimeters that suck!" youtube video series.  :-DMM   Million views in a week guaranteed!
:popcorn:
Now that's great idea!!  Come on Dave!!!  Hopefully he kept the Extech tweezers!! 

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 01:15:05 am »

Start the series of videos wielding the 8 pound sledge on the no love meter   >:D

and then flashback to    '2 hours earlier in the lab... |O "

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 01:22:16 am »
I think that the OP deliberately asks these kind of thought provoking questions and then quietly slips out the back end without really divulging if there was ever a serious reason for the question, I seem to remember a few other similar type of threads in his or her name  :box:

Trolls just like to stir the pot and then sit back and watch it overflow.  Look how far this one has come already!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 01:35:04 am »
How about "Top 10 Digital Multimeters that suck and why".  I've got a few picks already if you dare start this shit war!  :-DD

There is such list:  8)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-list-of-multimeters-that-do-not-appear-to-meet-their-claimed-safety-specs/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:06 am »
How about "Top 10 Digital Multimeters that suck and why".  I've got a few picks already if you dare start this shit war!  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-list-of-multimeters-that-do-not-appear-to-meet-their-claimed-safety-specs/
By those standards barely any analog meters would pass. CAT rating? What's that?

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 02:46:44 am »

Naw dude he changes brands each week.  Week 1 might be "Top 10 Fluke Multimeters that suck!", and Week 2 will be "Top 10 Brymen multimeters that suck!", then UniT, then Mastech, etc.     Then he gets the 1st place pick and chucks it over the dam, then sends it to Joe for final execution by electrocution.  Its brilliant!   ;D

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:04 am »
I think that the OP deliberately asks these kind of thought provoking questions and then quietly slips out the back end without really divulging if there was ever a serious reason for the question, I seem to remember a few other similar type of threads in his or her name  :box:

Trolls just like to stir the pot and then sit back and watch it overflow.  Look how far this one has come already!

I'm still amazed :(           came back on reply 58 ..........  seriously this has to stop ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:44:31 am by coromonadalix »

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 06:36:12 am »

I'm still amazed :(           came back on reply 58 ..........  seriously this has to stop ?

I say its ok as long as you're having fun  ^-^

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 07:28:06 am »
Honey, why did You wrote tons of shitposts here?
Keep in mind what analog dmm is a root way to understand metrology
and it did`t require expencive batteries
and etc

stop digitise world! stay ortodoxy!

What are you smoking?

Such posts do nothing to enhance the forum. I doubt this kind of post is going to endear you to many people here.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 07:30:44 am »

The only correct answer to these trolling posts is to say, "Thanks for sharing" and leave it at that.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 08:38:13 am »
I've been trying hard not to join-in to this, can't believe there are 4 pages on such a passionate debate already!
In the end I couldn't resist, it's all about human nature, we just love a quibble on sterile subjects, it keeps us busy from getting down to real work/problems. (i.e: politics/football are better subjects than sucking DMM's in this respect IMHO.)
Sorry for posting, now I have added one more brick to this mess...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:55 am »

Any mention of politics or religion (football) at many forums may get posts locked   :scared:

Afaict We're indulging in some fun and humor till OP gets the pedal power gen going again in the iced over manigloo,
and rocks up to tell what the mystery unortodox DMS is that's a big FAIL in his/her book,

and what analogue meter does the meter magic when the 'Digital multimeters sucks' 

:D

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »

That's why I wanted to change the title from "Top 10 Digital Multimeters that suck" to add "and why".   For you, a list like this carries some weight.  For me, not so much.  The list is someone's feelings about if particular meters will pass these standards.  There is very little data on how the meters would actually perform.     

Any Meter with the model number "830" All of these low priced meters are junk just waiting to blow up in your hand. (Submitted by Lightages)

If HF gives me a free meter that has a glass fuse for one shunt and no fuse for the higher current range, it may make his list but it didn't cost me anything.    If say I spent  $800 USD on a meter and anytime I go near it, it becomes unstable.  Or I place a magnetic hanger near it and it can no longer read voltages, that's much worse IMO than any free meter.    The real kicker is when you find a little MuMetal goes a LONG WAY to improve it.  Nice work Gossen! :palm:   

I've ran a lot of meters to destruction and I doubt you are going to find data on the list how my $100 meter uses a glass filler in the plastic detent spring which cracks after a few cycles.   Good design Keysight!   |O

Then again we are wasting a lot of plastic producing disposable shit.   

Also, " ... just waiting to blow up in your hand."  he assumes I am dumb enough to use the meter in an environment that could cause the situation he describes.  For me personally, that's not a problem.  I seldom work in these areas and when I do, I have equipment for that.    So is the free meter really just going to blow up in my hand??  Not the way I would ever use the meter.   Could the meter get damaged from my normal use, you bet... But again, it was free.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:43:41 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: bc888

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »
I am actually surprised that no-one has actually invoked Goodwin's law yet. You know, to the tune of "you are an analog nazi".

But again, this forum is better behaved and more civilized than many I have visited. That is the reason I hang here the most.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 02:08:28 pm »
Beyond politics, religion, football, or even sucking DMM's, in the end it's all about "who has the biggest meter"?

Mine is biggish, it has whopping 12cm diagonal colour analog screen (see: red/black + whatever colour you like in that shiny strip), it still works today (that alone is some proof that DMM's suck isn't it?) but... I never use it I have too many DMM's.

Totally, (even more) O.T., but as I just discovered this and had a slight grin at it, the French speaking may be amused to know that the Verge is a unit of length, unfortunately it is seldom used to determine who has the biggest meter.  :blah:

Anyone have a CRT analog meter? Or maybe a compromise with a IN-13 tube?

Sorry again! Any way we gan get this moved to "General chat"?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 02:20:27 pm »

That's why I wanted to change the title from "Top 10 Digital Multimeters that suck" to add "and why".   For you, a list like this carries some weight.  For me, not so much.  The list is someone's feelings about if particular meters will pass these standards.  There is very little data on how the meters would actually perform.     

Maybe you missed the fact that most (if not all) meters listed have 250V glass fuses or unfused inputs when claiming CATII/IV ratings. That is hard data, regardless if it was subjected to testing. The list correlates specs and physical construction.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 02:32:32 pm »

Maybe you missed the fact that most (if not all) meters listed have 250V glass fuses or unfused inputs when claiming CATII/IV ratings. That is hard data, regardless if it was subjected to testing. The list correlates specs and physical construction.
Perhaps you missed the fact that I wrote "very little data" not no data, and that I personally care very little about it.  The real question IMO is could the meter contain the blast.     

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2019, 05:35:40 pm »

Perhaps you missed the fact that I wrote "very little data" not no data, and that I personally care very little about it.  The real question IMO is could the meter contain the blast.   
I did miss that. My bad.

Blast containment is a whole other story, but certainly one of the main subjects of the EN 61010 and its subparts.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »

I did miss that. My bad.

Blast containment is a whole other story, but certainly one of the main subjects of the EN 61010 and its subparts.
Based on their comment "The main criteria is that all inputs must be able to withstand the maximum CAT ratings in all modes of operation, connected incorrectly or not, without harming the user."  this seems to be their primary concern. 

Safety fuses are important when we talk about the operator having a stupid moment.  But when we talk about line transients, which could pose the same threat,  this is where his list falls apart...   

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »
Based on their comment "The main criteria is that all inputs must be able to withstand the maximum CAT ratings in all modes of operation, connected incorrectly or not, without harming the user."  this seems to be their primary concern. 

Safety fuses are important when we talk about the operator having a stupid moment.  But when we talk about line transients, which could pose the same threat,  this is where his list falls apart...
I had 830 multimeter during my childhood. I once measured mains voltage with wire plugged in amps socket because I forgot to plug it back into volts socket. In result wire acted as a fuse, disconnecting itself from the probe near to solder joint (those were not molded around the wire and were hollow inside).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:02 pm »
High Voltage and high bs CAT claims aside for a minute, what about if/when the average Richard Unfortunatto with a shiny new multimeter  :-DMM
sneaks out during the Xmas day hogout boozefest to measure Uncle Bob's crusty truck 24 and or 12 volt battery voltage,
with the meter leads in the unfused 20 Amp current inputs.  :scared:

I'm asssuming some sort of BANG! ?

battery pop ?

'Unshielded MAW' tack welds ? 

or smouldering spaghetti meter leads with tasty barbequed selector tracks and neighboring components ?

Might even take out some car electronics, including Uncle Bob's crusty CB perhaps?

Anyone seen or been there to confirm what the deal is ?        LOL, I won't be anytime soon  :D 

I suppose my point is, you can't expect ANY meter manufacturer to bail you out of 'operator error' perhaps mashed with an unforeseen freaky one time (perhaps last time..) situation,
no matter what the claims and  -controlled mayhem-  Youtube demos

Maybe some meters will live up to a lot of claims, but what if you score a dud one
or someones sold off problem they messed with or unknowingly created 

i.e. guys, if you're gonna do something risky/stupid/unknown
or one of those peeps that get off being a serial Darwin Award Nominee year in year out  :-BROKE

At least get some long dry wood sticks or PVC props with tape, ties, glue, garter bands or whatever 

with some serious personal PPE between you, and the  'CAT X?'  meter and the possible source of DUT BANG!

and get some proper 'will blo' fuses somewhere in on the game too,
even expl0ding flying shrapnel glass fuses are better than nothing!

hey, and don't forget to switch on the freakin camera, and share on Youtube > PLEASE!   :popcorn:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:30:13 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2019, 12:29:59 am »

battery pop ?

or smouldering spaghetti meter leads with tasty barbequed selector tracks and neighboring components ?
Wire insulation might weld into hands. Happened to me at a childhood when I shorted old and supposedly "dead" 6V lead-acid motorcycle battery.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2019, 01:45:16 am »

I had 830 multimeter during my childhood. I once measured mains voltage with wire plugged in amps socket because I forgot to plug it back into volts socket. In result wire acted as a fuse, disconnecting itself from the probe near to solder joint (those were not molded around the wire and were hollow inside).
Break currents/voltage levels in a home won't normally be what you can find in an industrial environment.    Then again, if you work in that environment, I doubt you would be out there with your free meter. 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:22 am »
High Voltage and high bs CAT claims aside for a minute, what about if/when the average Richard Unfortunatto with a shiny new multimeter  :-DMM
sneaks out during the Xmas day hogout boozefest to measure Uncle Bob's crusty truck 24 and or 12 volt battery voltage,

battery pop ?

Might even take out some car electronics, including Uncle Bob's crusty CB perhaps?

Anyone seen or been there to confirm what the deal is ?        LOL, I won't be anytime soon  :D 

I suppose my point is, you can't expect ANY meter manufacturer to bail you out of 'operator error' perhaps mashed with an unforeseen freaky one time (perhaps last time..) situation,
no matter what the claims and  -controlled mayhem-  Youtube demos

Maybe some meters will live up to a lot of claims, but what if you score a dud one
or someones sold off problem they messed with or unknowingly created 

i.e. guys, if you're gonna do something risky/stupid/unknown
or one of those peeps that get off being a serial Darwin Award Nominee year in year out  :-BROKE

At least get some long dry wood sticks or PVC props with tape, ties, glue, garter bands or whatever 

with some serious personal PPE between you, and the  'CAT X?'  meter and the possible source of DUT BANG!

and get some proper 'will blo' fuses somewhere in on the game too,
even expl0ding flying shrapnel glass fuses are better than nothing!

hey, and don't forget to switch on the freakin camera, and share on Youtube > PLEASE!   :popcorn:

Camera rolling, leads pushed to failure....
https://youtu.be/fQowDZstguw?t=1771

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf