Author Topic: DIY Transformer for use with Bode Plots.  (Read 9415 times)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY Transformer for use with Bode Plots.
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 01:11:11 am »
I have no problem with the DIY toss something together.  I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you are presenting.  I am surprised how well things appear to work at lower frequencies and thought I could attempt to repeat your tests with some other configurations. 

Online mawyattTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 02:38:54 am »
Surprised as well!! Did not expect the low frequency, or flatness performance, quite nice for a couple $ CM Filter reconfigured :-+

The low frequency impedance to the transformer is low, however the input sampling is across the transformer primary so this compensates some for the transformer low frequency characteristics.

Also quite pleased with how well the Siglent DSO behaves  :)

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2022, 02:51:17 am »
I tried wrapping 30 turns bifilar on two tape cores I had.   The performance was very poor.     

Primary inductance was 109.4mH
Leakage inductance was 4.1uH
Coupling capacitance was 119.8pF
Resistance 4-wire was 0.589 ohms
I didn't check the leakage as the freq response was so poor.
0.2dB 225Hz - 2.51MHz
Phase over this range is 21 degrees

To get below 100Hz, I would need to hunt down some better cores or start adding turns....   Interesting problem. 

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2022, 04:02:19 am »
Why -0.2dB?  The cutoff is arbitrary, and easily calibrated out.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 09:59:42 am »
Why -0.2dB?  The cutoff is arbitrary, and easily calibrated out.

I wanted to provide metrics with numbers.  Why specifically -0.2, I followed the link the OP provided which then took me to other links. I assumed that the OP read all of this as well which is why they had shown their first screen shot at 0.2dB/div.    In the one reference they mention the 0.1dB, for example:   

This model boasts 10Hz to 45MHz bandwidth (watch out, this is not even -3dB bandwidth, “real” 0.1dB flatness is 100Hz to ca. 1MHz only). Capacitance is a quite large 150pF. Price is a few 100€.

They provide some constraints for their design:

but lets try to formulate some specs:

100Hz to several 100kHz with a phase shift below 5 degrees.
    amplitude flatness of less than 0.2dB over this range
    not more than ca. 20 Ohms resistance at the injected side

I had asked the OP about calibration and assumed it was somehow normalized but it made no sense to me that the phase would be zero as it would have to match the thru standard.  Maybe the Siglent has a way to compensate for the delay.   I would have started by showing an open and maybe a couple of attenuators to  give people some confidence in their data but as they said,

This effort was just a quick DIYer to "see" if these cores would work and get familiar with the Closed Loop capability using the SDS2104X Plus and especially to "see" if this capability could be applied to high loop gain circuits such as Op Amp based circuits.

For a more thorough test one would use full scope BW, controlled setup, quality short cables, connectors & such as you would expect for proper RF measurements...which this thread wasn't intended for!!

Similar to the last post about the UnUn, it's nothing I have any use for and just thought I would play along to add to the discussion.   My interest stems from the first data the OP presents where the show 0.2dB at 10Hz.  I have no idea if that's a problem with the setup or if its real.  Seemed very impressive.   As I posted, my first attempt was around 252Hz.  Hardly in the ball park.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 02:57:52 pm »
I have no idea if that's a problem with the setup or if its real.  Seemed very impressive.   As I posted, my first attempt was around 252Hz.  Hardly in the ball park.   

No worries, the setup is fine :-+

Measured the DSO input Ch2 as 50.07 ohms with input cable and connector and added a 100.08 ohm series resistor as a Thru, both measured with a KS34465A. The DSO Ch1 is High Z and reads Vin, Ch2 is 50 ohms and reads Vo, and DSO set to Bode Mode.

The results should show 20*log{50.07/(50.07+100.08)} or -9.539dBV, and shows -9.56dBV @ 100Hz, -9.59dBV @ 100KHz and -9.61dBV @ 1MHz. Certainly fits within our present needs for this capability ;)

This is with the DSO at the highest resolution available on Bode Mode and using 10Bit Mode yielding 0.1dBV/div and 1 degree/div. Hopefully the new true 12bit ADC version (the present SDS2104X + uses an 8bit ADC and extends performance to 10 bits with DSP but limits scope BW to 100MHz) will allow higher resolution. Keep in mind this DSO does range scale the inputs to allow much larger Dynamic Range than possible with 8 or 10 bits digitation, basically dynamically scaling to fit the input within the "sweet spot" of the base core ADC.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 10:38:34 pm »
Thanks.    For the phase, is the reference a manual offset you can add?   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2022, 12:06:38 am »
The phase, amplitude reference & scaling is just settings for the display.

Best,

Mike
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 12:43:39 pm »
Makes sense.  Thanks.   I'm still not sure about your test setup.   Assuming you had followed the threads you had linked (what a rabbit hole), what your thoughts are about the following comment and the three that follow:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1104-omicron-labs-bode-100-teardown/msg3038468/#msg3038468
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 12:46:16 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:48 pm »
We're using the transformer as an injection device for Closed Loop measurements and the built-in Bode function of the SDS2104X + measures the input across the transformer primary with Ch1 and the output is Ch2 which can be set to 50 or 1M ohms. The absolute amplitude and phase of the injection signal isn't critical for Closed Loop measurements as long as the amplitude is not high enough to cause issues with the system under test or saturate the transformer, and not low enough for the DSO to have trouble digitizing. The later becomes an issue with high loop gain systems where the feedback attempts to cancel the injected signal, this can be seen in some of the Close Loop plots shown earlier at the low frequency ends of the plots.

Edit: With Closed Loop Bode the transformer secondary is placed in series with the feedback loop and DSO channels are connected across the secondary. Here's a video showing how the setup is configured for this Bode Mode and also shows how the Isolation Transformer for Bode use is built and connected.

Another link.

http://www.simprojects.nl/images/Gain_Phase_measurements.pdf

As mentioned a couple times, the DSO samples the Ch1 input {Vin} and Ch2 output {Vout}.

Since the Bode plot is Vout/Vin and Vo = T(f)* Vin, where T(f) is the Transfer Function as a function of frequency of the DUT,

then Bode Plot = Vout/Vin = (T(f)*Vin)/Vin or simply T(f)

Note the Bode Plot is independent (ideally) of input signal level as it should be for an ideal linear system transfer function.

This is the way the Siglent DSO computes the Bode Plot I believe.

Note: On measuring equivalent magnetizing and leakage inductance of the transformer, one must be careful not to saturate the transformer core. It's a good idea to monitor the excitation current, as just a few milliamps can cause issues with these small cores. Also, the pair of equivalent inductances need to be measured close to the intended equivalent model use frequency for the estimation of transformer performance, this means at low frequencies for the magnetizing inductance and higher frequencies for the leakage inductance. Using an LCR meter with variable amplitude and selectable test frequency is helpful here. For a detailed model one should also include the effects of distributed winding capacitance, core loss, wiring loss and so on.

Anyway, hope this helps to understand how these cores and transformers are used and behave as Injection devices for Bode Plot usage.

Best,
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 04:50:31 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2022, 08:41:02 pm »
Nice thread Mike.
FYI here's some good info on FRA and finding its limits albeit with the little X-E scopes not the 2kX Plus models.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1x04x-e-bodeplot-ii-(sfra)-features-and-testing-(coming)/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2022, 02:06:15 am »
That's a must read thread tautech! rf-loop did a great job with the Bode Function. I need to spend some time reading thru all the posts in the thread, lots of good quality information :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2022, 02:34:51 am »
My last attempt

25Turn Bifilar, single core 31mm od, 16.5mm id, 12.9mm thick.
Ccoupling @ 10kHz 43pF
Lp @ 10kHz 8.97mH
Ll @ 10kHz 0.863uH
R 0.116 ohms

Calcuated -3dB Lf should be 442 Hz.   I measure 421.   The 0.2dB Lf measures 2.7 kHz. 

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2022, 02:40:02 am »
While that last core was much worse than the initial attempt,  my goal was to get something a little closer to OPs setup.  Again, I am only questioning that 0.2dB cutoff.  It's why I kept asking about the setup.   Not how the transformer is used.

I had made another attempt to make something that would run a bit lower than the first core.  0.2db was 60Hz to a MHz.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2022, 11:55:03 pm »
I marked up Jay_Diddy_B's drawing I linked above.  Obviously in the first two circuits changing the location of CH1 is going to have a major effect what the low frequency response looks like when we measure our transformer.   Consider as we approach DC the primary will start to load the output.  Because we are looking at a ratio of ch1 to 2, it can make the response seem flat.   

I'm not a fan of the added resistor he shows but at DC, hey..   Anyway,  the third circuit, I change the scopes inputs to 50 ohms on both channels and include a splitter.   

I suspect the initial setup is wrong as Jay pointed out.  Calculating the rolloff we won't be anywhere near 10Hz as expected.  Maybe it adds to the confusion.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2022, 01:59:31 am »
Attempted to use the LiteVNA to looking at the last transformers gain.   The LiteVNA is spec'ed to work down to 50kHz.   Things really fall apart below 10kHz.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2022, 02:40:20 pm »
I marked up Jay_Diddy_B's drawing I linked above.  Obviously in the first two circuits changing the location of CH1 is going to have a major effect what the low frequency response looks like when we measure our transformer.   Consider as we approach DC the primary will start to load the output.  Because we are looking at a ratio of ch1 to 2, it can make the response seem flat.   

I'm not a fan of the added resistor he shows but at DC, hey..   Anyway,  the third circuit, I change the scopes inputs to 50 ohms on both channels and include a splitter.   

I suspect the initial setup is wrong as Jay pointed out.  Calculating the rolloff we won't be anywhere near 10Hz as expected.  Maybe it adds to the confusion.

The original setup is not wrong, it's exactly as stated multiple times and illustrated in the Bode Plot video shown above. The Bode measurement with the Siglent DSO Ch1 is Across the Transformer Primary and Ch2 across the secondary with input impedance set to 50 ohms. Since the intended use and thread title of the transformer as stated is for Bode use, and mostly as an Injection Transformer for Closed Loop measurements, this method as stated and used partially removes the transformer (and source) characteristics from the measurement and revels the effective use of the transformer for Bode use.

This is NOT directly intended (although can be used) for a controlled impedance type use like 50 ohm RF, but generic Bode use where the effects of the input source are partially removed by the input sampling location. The intended case is for Closed Loop measurements the input sampling is actually moved to the transformer secondary side, the transformer is for isolation with the DUT, and one secondary winding wire goes to Ch1 as Input and the other secondary winding wire as Output goes to Ch2, the secondary creates a "floating injection source" inserted in series with the negative feedback (with restrictions) for the DUT. Since the Bode plots are of complex type (Magnitude and phase) the result loop response of the DUT is simply Vout/Vin in magnitude and phase. Note the effects of the signal source, transformer, cables are completely removed (ideally) from the result and why this technique is so powerful when applied properly!!

Here's some previous quotes in this thread answering your questions regarding the transformer intended use, and what the plots show.

Our intent was to show the CM Filter cores in a DIY configuration utilizing the wire from the CM Filter can be useful for Bode type Closed Loop Measurements within a 1MHz frequency range,

Here's what I think you are asking for, these are with 50 ohm source drive, transformer input measured with DSO Hi Z (1M) and output terminated with 50 ohms (DSO)

The low frequency impedance to the transformer is low, however the input sampling is across the transformer primary so this compensates some for the transformer low frequency characteristics.

Of course the intrinsic transformer doesn't have a basic 10Hz 3dB corner, just look at the primary inductance measurements of ~8mH which implies an impedance of 1/2 ohm at 10Hz!!! This is not to say the core transformer low end isn't important for Close Loop Injection use, the transformer must inject a signal into the DUT and this injection level falls off at the high and low frequency end due to transformer and source characteristics, as well as other effects. In the Closed Loop Bode measurement the loop gain of the DUT comes into play, and usually the loop gain has a general low pass type charteristic. So a rising DUT loop gain as frequency decreases causes the DSO Ch1 signal to be small as the negative feedback attempts to "null out" the injected signal which appears to the Closed Loop System as an error signal. The DSO will increase the input sensitivity to help compensate for such, but eventually reaches a sensitivity which can no longer "pull out" the signal from the noise, and the Bode response degrades. The same happens at the high end where the transformer rolls off, thus the injected signal rolls off. However, the DUT loop gain is also falling off which partially helps with DSO detecting the signals since less of the injected signal is "nulled out" by the negative feedback loop gain.

We realize this is a rather complex subject and likely difficult to get ones "arms around", especially with all the nuances involved in proper setup, use, and measurement understanding. Please spend some time studying the mentioned video (and other related papers on Bode Plots and Close Loop Measurement Techniques), this is an excellent resource for getting an understanding of Closed Loop Bode measurements, and even illustrates how this method can be utilized to measure the very complex non-linear nature of SMPS even tho Bode is a linear type function. 

Awhile back, well before this thread, some folks downplayed the Bode capability of these DSOs. Likely from a lack of knowledge and/or understanding just how useful this technique is when properly applied with the DSO. PicoScope, Siglent have this capability (we know and use both), Keysight and others also.

Anyway, hope this helps clarify what this thread was intended to illustrate, and how useful these DSOs are for Closed Loop Bode measurements with the simple addition of a repurposed inexpensive Common Mode Filter core for Bode Injection Transformer usage.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2022, 02:50:32 pm »
Attempted to use the LiteVNA to looking at the last transformers gain.   The LiteVNA is spec'ed to work down to 50kHz.   Things really fall apart below 10kHz.

Not surprised at this result at lower frequencies! Pretty much useless at frequencies where Closed Loop Bode plots are useful, not to mention dealing with 50 ohm inputs where the DUT must not be perturbed by the measurement sensing probes.

This is where these newer DSO really shine, not long ago to do these types of Bode measurements one required a dedicated instrument, now it's built-in :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2022, 05:16:25 pm »
Indeed it does help.   You're looking at it from an application view where I am just comparing the performance of two transformers in a 50 ohm system.   I thought the goal of your first post was to show the transfer function of the transformer in a 50 ohm system which was partly why you initially had added these 50 ohm parts.    Indeed we can calculate the low roll off.  As your link to Jay's talks about, what you showed seemed too good to be true.   Of course, we can't see see the low response with how you are measuring it.   It's just my misunderstanding of what you were trying to present.

The data I have shown is with the transformers in a 50 ohm system.  I was curious how flat I could get the low frequency response.  I assumed that the person Jay linked to wanted that 0.1dB flatness because they have no way to compensate for the error and would not know what was being injected.     

Shown is the same core on the original NanoVNA.  These VNAs have better performance at lower frequencies but they are not going to get you near 10Hz.  Agree that its not useful for your application and more an FYI.       

I haven't spent much time looking into Siglent products.  After there was that whole thread about them going after eBay customers, I never considered them.  Eventually we procured an arb from them where I work just to try get a feel of the quality.  That was my first experience with the brand.   Interesting to see the built in Bode plot.  To do this today, I would use a separate scope, generator and PC.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2022, 06:21:56 pm »

I haven't spent much time looking into Siglent products.  After there was that whole thread about them going after eBay customers, I never considered them.  Eventually we procured an arb from them where I work just to try get a feel of the quality.  That was my first experience with the brand.   Interesting to see the built in Bode plot.  To do this today, I would use a separate scope, generator and PC.   

Don't know about the eBay issue with Siglent? What happened?

Frankly, we never expected the Siglent SDS2104X Plus to be as good as has demonstrated over and over in our use. This was our 1st venture into the new DSO/MSO arena with our personal $ funds, before retiring everything was HPAK Tek, LeCroy and R&S, so very selective and cautious!!

After much review here, learning and "selective listening" to those in the know, we pulled the trigger and acquired one (have 2 now). Even after 2 years of use it still amazes in performance and overall capability. May sound like a Siglent fanboy, but that's not the case as Siglent has some products that we're not particularly fond of, but generally their stuff is pretty good and good value, the SDS2104X Plus being an absolute outstanding value for serious use IMO. The front end design, noise level, offset DC range, waveform accuracy, computational accuracy, Display, FFT, Bode, Lan & Web interface and so on are all really good, and using a wireless mouse is icing on the cake :-+

The PicoScope is good, we needed this for the 16bit ADC precision waveform evaluation and it served the purpose well. It's also quite capable as a low frequency DSO, but never been a fan of laptop instruments, so not used very often.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2022, 07:07:48 pm »

Don't know about the eBay issue with Siglent? What happened?

You can read about it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-_wrongful-trademark-claim_/msg783231/#msg783231

In the end they put together a story of what had happened  and did an interview with Dave. 

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2022, 09:26:11 pm »
Interesting, didn't know about that!

Thanks!

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2022, 09:43:23 pm »

Thanks!

Best,
Ancient irrelevant history never to be repeated.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2022, 10:28:15 pm »

Thanks!

Best,

Of course that's going to be your response!   :-DD :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2022, 10:47:50 pm »

Thanks!

Best,

Of course that's going to be your response!   :-DD :-DD
Well really Joe why did you even dig out that old storm in a teacup ?  :-//

You seem to think that no TE manufacturer can be excused of ever making a mistake.....yet all your vids on DMM robustness prove they certainly can and when an AC+DC measurement fails to show one might be lethal you fail to call that manufacturer out forever more.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf