Author Topic: Do you have any experience with cheap chinese 4 wire kelvin clips?  (Read 903 times)

Offline NaxFMTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I want to buy a set of 4 wire clips for precision resistance measurements but I don't really want to spend 150 bucks or more for namebrand ones, i could buy a good set of Vishay precision 0.005% resistor for that price...
I went on aliexpress and saw different models, but i don't know if they are all garbage or there is something worth considering.

These are the most promising i managed to find
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32841153973.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Do you happen to have these or something similar? If so, what are your thoughts? Are they worth the money?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Re: Do you have any experience with cheap chinese 4 wire kelvin clips?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 05:11:06 pm »
Don't have those exact probes but did make some ourselfs using the same clips and used some silicone test cables and banana jacks, works fine. Also made some cables with the smaller 4 wire clips, and they also work fine. Mind you, not looking for Metrology performance tho.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:20:16 pm »
I have a set that looks exactly the same at the clip end, but have unshielded banana plugs.  They work fine.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 05:26:50 pm »
We got similar with BNC terminations were $12 a pair a few years ago, still work fine

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 05:43:54 pm »
I made a set using identical-looking eBay/Ali kelvin clips. Not impressed, the serrations on the jaws are so deep they compromised the integrity of the jaws, and one tip has nearly snapped off.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:57:48 pm »
I use the same type for 4 wire resistance measurement. Works well enough, haven't had any issues so far.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:05:54 pm »
I got some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171907327574 a year or so back for my LCR meter, they seem pretty good.

More recently I got some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174250241892 in order to make some banana ended leads up for my 4-wire multimeters, but I haven't got around to it yet...
Also, the price has shot up, they were £4.80 in June 2021!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 06:07:01 pm »
That particular Kelvin clips you pointed has the weak spot which is the plastic, I had 2 pairs where the grayish plastic gets brittle over time and cracked at normal used. Also their jaw biting power is not strong when measuring big DUT with big terminals like power resistor, big inductor and etc.

Better one is the one made by GWInstek, as its has better precision mechanic and built.

We have member reviewed it while ago -> GWInstek Kelvin clips review

Also another model, below photo, is my fav and mostly grabbed clips as it has powerful jaw that made measurement process not fiddly at big DUTs or big leaded components, especially when we moved alot and sometimes bumped on the clips or even the wires can fluctuate the reading as the teeth moved abit. The metal and the clips teeth are quite strong and wont chipped easily when clipped on hard metal terminals. Also it has very simple mechanism is almost fail and fool proof, and the jaw biting power can be enhanced too if needed.

Both models are available at AliExpress.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 06:23:01 pm »
Got a set of the same clips, but with BNC at the other end. One of the clips were shorted between signal and ground so had to cut it open and resolder it. Heard several others who got shorted clips as well. Works ok when fixed though.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 10:10:19 pm »
They look like the same type of kelvin clip that arrived with my Voltcraft LCR meter, except that the leads are screened on my set. I have had that meter circa 5 years and the clips and leads have been fine.

Kind regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf