Author Topic: Do You still use analog oscilloscopes in 2019?  (Read 33249 times)

Offline drfrasher

• Hobbyist maker, and breaker, of stuff. AD7LL
Re: Do You still use analog oscilloscopes in 2019?
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2020, 07:26:28 am »
And even in 2020!  Having a great working Tek 7904 gives me 500 mhz in analog. Yes some of the newer and/or higher end digi scopes can do that very well or better including the math functions.  But only in a VERY high price range.  Digi scopes in the same price range can't begin to compare with accurate display of these higher frequencies and fast rise times.
   I DO have an older Tek TDS360 which is ok for below 50 mhz or so, fast checks on the measurements and such, but the FFT is completely useless, and and the wave form can't be trusted on anything fast unless it's repetitive, with high sample rate. But then acquisition time is unbearably slow. and you'll miss any random events, noise distortion.
   If I had the budget, sure.  However $5-6k and up, is just too much for my hobby use.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2020, 10:21:48 am »
And even in 2020!  Having a great working Tek 7904 gives me 500 mhz in analog. Yes some of the newer and/or higher end digi scopes can do that very well or better including the math functions.  But only in a VERY high price range.  Digi scopes in the same price range can't begin to compare with accurate display of these higher frequencies and fast rise times.

I DO have an older Tek TDS360 which is ok for below 50 mhz or so, fast checks on the measurements and such, but the FFT is completely useless, and and the wave form can't be trusted on anything fast unless it's repetitive, with high sample rate. But then acquisition time is unbearably slow. and you'll miss any random events, noise distortion.
If I had the budget, sure.  However $5-6k and up, is just too much for my hobby use.

For hobby use you don't need to spend anywhere near to $5k for a decent 500MHz or better DSO unless you want it brand new.

There are many used high BW scopes for pretty reasonable prices.

For example, something like a LeCroy LC574 (1GHz 4GSa/s, up to 8M) in good condition should be obtainable for notably below $1k. If that's still to much, there are scopes like the LeCroy 9374 (1GHz 2GSa/s, up to 8M) which can sometimes be found below $500.

Even a something like a 2GHz WavePro 960 with 16GSa/s and 64M memory or a 3GHz WavePro 7300 (20GSa/s, 64/96M) can occasionally be found below $2k.

All give you tons of measurements, large FFTs and a bunch of waveform analysis options.

There's also the HP/Agilent 54800 Series of Infiniium scopes, which can often be found reasonably cheap (especially the early ones running Windows9x). Lots of hacking opportunities, and some models also have decent memory sizes.

If for some reason it has to be Tek, there are even some Tektronix DSOs which can be had for cheap (i.e. a TDS744 500MHz which is often around $500). Although compared with other scopes from the same era they are pretty lackluster in terms of capabilities.

There are lots of good options for a good high BW scope, especially if you have some patience to wait for the right opportunity.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2020, 01:22:33 am »
Even the Rigol and its clearance bin (where I got my DS4014) is pretty far from the $5k mark. Sure, it has some limitations but for hobby use is quite capable.

https://www.rigolna.com/clearance/

I think Siglent also has a clearance bin.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2020, 01:38:44 am »
I think Siglent also has a clearance bin.
Yep and not much in it ATM.
https://siglentna.com/products/clearance/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf