Author Topic: Siglent SDS1102X vs. SDS1202X-E  (Read 17130 times)

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SDS1102X vs. SDS1202X-E
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:14:00 am »
A lot has been posted about the Siglent SDS1000x vs. the Rigol DS1054Z. But I haven't seen an threads comparing the SDS1102X vs. the SDS1202X-E. They are very close in price ($424 and $379 respectively). After some consideration I'm thinking the larger display on the 1102 may be more of a plus  than the 200mhz.... and with the 1Gsa/s sample rate, it doesn't seem like the 200mhz is all that much of an advantage over the 100mhz. For a small increase in price it seems like the SDS1102X might be a better value if you care about screen size.
Thoughts?

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1102X vs. SDS1202X-E
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:35 am »
Although... I do find it a little annoying they keep the wave gen and digital buttons on the 1102 even if they don't come with those option (which I believe are only included on the plus models). So that is a detractor.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:34:31 am »
consider also that decode uses only a portion of the memory in the X (1.4Mpts max) whereas the X-E can use the full 14Mpts

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 09:59:56 am »
consider also that decode uses only a portion of the memory in the X (1.4Mpts max) whereas the X-E can use the full 14Mpts
On some timebase settings it can in Decode mode but not all. Slowest settings yes.
2 posts that show this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-siglent-sds1000x-e-oscilloscope-based-on-xilinx-zynq-7000-soc-architecture/msg1195050/#msg1195050
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:46:13 am »
Good points.

Any others? I'm still leaning SDS1102X.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:52 am »
Although during lunch today I had an urge to buy the DS1054Z. ... but that subsided... and went back to the SDS1102X vs. the SDS1202X-E.

Still thinking the SDS1102X.
I think the 8" display is clouding my judgement. Does that make me shallow? 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 05:18:20 am »
Although during lunch today I had an urge to buy the DS1054Z. ... but that subsided... and went back to the SDS1102X vs. the SDS1202X-E.

Still thinking the SDS1102X.
I think the 8" display is clouding my judgement. Does that make me shallow?
No.

Initial thoughts of when I put them both alongside each other was: OK, yep this is an Economy model and hence the smaller display. But as they both have the same resolution the 7" seems a little sharper. Now my eyes are aging, some might even call me one eyed but the additional processing grunt of the X-E for Decode and FFT is very apparent and I've used X models quite a bit examining their features and grabbing screenshots to post here. The final thing that seals it for me is 200 MHz.

What you haven't got is other than my opinion online as these things are so new but I can assure you in the next few weeks there'll be plenty posted about them BUT if you want one now get in before there's a wait. Why do I say this, because in dealer discussions worldwide some big distributors have already sold their first shipment.

Consider this, sure I sell these and could stock any of Siglent's models but for my first order of X-E I ordered more of them than I've ever ordered for any other model and just for stock to have on hand.

If you want the inbuilt AWG and 16 ch MSO then go for an X+ model.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 05:38:39 am »
Initial thoughts of when I put them both alongside each other was: OK, yep this is an Economy model and hence the smaller display.
The cost of an extra inch of LCD, and the related larger case, are minimal. The E model has clearly been engineered to feel like the economy model, while still offering good value against Rigol and others. They've had to pay quite a bit to engineer an entire new case, though.

Offline smarteebit

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:02 am »
You should take the performance of processor into account. It seems like the SDS1000X-E has a better processor:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Siglent-200MHz-1Gsample-sec-SDS1000X-E-Entry-Level-DSO-family/ba-p/758399

Offline cjm

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:00:07 am »
Has anyone noticed any difference in how the rotary encoders behave, between the SDS1000X and SDS1202X-E series? I find the vertical and horizontal controls to be very "jumpy" on my SDS1202X making it a frustrating exercise when trying to place a trace exactly where I want it on screen. The trace tends to move slowly at first when turning the encoder and then take a sudden jump, overshooting the location where I'm trying to place the trace. I'd consider buying the SDS1202X-E if I thought this problem had been fixed.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:15:26 am »
Has anyone noticed any difference in how the rotary encoders behave, between the SDS1000X and SDS1202X-E series? I find the vertical and horizontal controls to be very "jumpy" on my SDS1202X making it a frustrating exercise when trying to place a trace exactly where I want it on screen. The trace tends to move slowly at first when turning the encoder and then take a sudden jump, overshooting the location where I'm trying to place the trace. I'd consider buying the SDS1202X-E if I thought this problem had been fixed.
It's the encoder acceleration and it's being tweaked from time to time. The X-E is quite nice however what might suit you won't suit someone else.
Can I ask if you have the latest FW in your 1kX ?
It's version 15R3 and only a few weeks old.

I can say even though I use all these models some they are all a little different and one needs to modify the knob twist speed for each of them. Turn any too fast and they leap into next week but the more use and familiarity you have the better you get with them.

Post something in the 1000X thread to see if others that have been there are frustrated with the acceleration too.
Maybe another tweak in the FW is needed ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1000x-series-oscilloscopes/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: cjm

Offline cjm

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:39:01 am »
It's the encoder acceleration and it's being tweaked from time to time. The X-E is quite nice however what might suit you won't suit someone else.

I can say even though I use all these models some they are all a little different and one needs to modify the knob twist speed for each of them. Turn any too fast and they leap into next week but the more use and familiarity you have the better you get with them.

Post something in the 1000X thread to see if others that have been there are frustrated with the acceleration too.

I've tried the latest firmware release but haven't noticed any change in the acceleration from the previous version. As you mention, different people have different preferences and maybe the fast acceleration might suit many - but personally I find the skill level required to use the knobs efficiently a bit beyond me! Good idea to poll the 1000X thread on this - I'll do that - thanks tautech.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 09:18:09 am »

I've tried the latest firmware release but haven't noticed any change in the acceleration from the previous version. As you mention, different people have different preferences and maybe the fast acceleration might suit many - but personally I find the skill level required to use the knobs efficiently a bit beyond me! Good idea to poll the 1000X thread on this - I'll do that - thanks tautech.
As all the control knobs just press on you can swap them around for a better "feel".
If I had to do this I'd grab one of the channel V/div knobs and swap with the Multifunction knob.
The V/div controls are detented so even with a smaller knob you'll still have sufficient control and feel of each step.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: cjm

Offline cjm

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:34 am »

As all the control knobs just press on you can swap them around for a better "feel".
If I had to do this I'd grab one of the channel V/div knobs and swap with the Multifunction knob.
The V/div controls are detented so even with a smaller knob you'll still have sufficient control and feel of each step.

Neat idea! This has helped a little but the acceleration still jumps in very quickly. I've polled the 1000X thread to see if folks over there have noticed the same issue - this might just be me  :)!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf