Author Topic: Greenlee lifetime warranty, an answer, almost.  (Read 7575 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Greenlee lifetime warranty, an answer, almost.
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:02:57 pm »
A question has been asked a number of times here when I have recommended Greenlee as a Brymen alternative in the US or if the person does not like the one year warranty of Brymen. Brymen is the manufacturer of many models in the Greenlee line and Greenlee has a lifetime warranty on their rebranded Brymen made meters.

What does "lifetime warranty" really mean for Greenlee multimeters?

I spoke to technical support. I questioned them on a small bit of wording in their warranty policy:
Lifetime Limited Warranty
Greenlee Textron Inc. warrants to the original purchaser of these goods for use that these
products
will be free from defects in workmanship and material for their useful life, excepting normal wear and
abuse. This warranty is subject to the same terms and conditions contained in Greenlee Textron Inc.’s
standard one-year limited warranty

The tech support person told me that "useful life" refers to normal use of the multimeter and as long as that model is available. If it is no longer available, their internal policy is to replace the meter with a new model that is the same in spec or higher. He also told me that he has seen abused meters pass through his hands and even then they get full new replacements.

I let him know that wording in the warranty was not very clear and probably was scaring people away for that reason. I suggested he talk to his marketing department and get someone to visit the forums and help clear up any questions people might have. We will see.  :popcorn:

Offline Mephitus

• Regular Contributor
  • Dashing, no?
Re: Greenlee lifetime warranty, an answer, almost.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:42:35 pm »
Good to know, many thanks! I just the other day purchased my very first DMM, a Greenlee DM-820 (aka Brymen BM857) off ebay for the killer price of $31-USD  :-DMM  :-+. (Hasen't arrived yet.) Glad I probly wont have issues if I need to make a warranty claim. With the good things I hear about Brymen meters, are there any other re-brandings I can watch out for here in the US? You know I am going to need a 2nd DMM at least, hehe.  O0

Unfortunately since I am still very much a newbie to EE I have nothing to check calibration against. I will try to build a voltage reference asap as I think I have *just* enough scavenged materials to make one.  :-/O Checking ohm's will be difficult as I cant afford high precision resistors right now, oh well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:44:30 pm by Mephitus »
A true gentleman must be prepared for anything. - Pepe le' Pew

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:38:01 pm »
That is a very nice buy! As far as a good voltage and other reference goes, have a look at www.voltagestandard.com

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:39:57 am »
Are the Brymen and Greenlee warranties transferable beyond the first owner of a device?

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:10 am »
Are the Brymen and Greenlee warranties transferable beyond the first owner of a device?

I doubt it.  Likely we just won't tell them.  I got my 820a new, but from an unauthorized dealer. I'll try to register it to see what happens.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:52:45 am »
The warranty is not transferable with Greenlee according to the warranty text I posted above.

And no according to the Brymen warranty:
LIMITED WARRANTY
BRYMEN warrants to the original product purchaser that each product it manufactures will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service within a period of one year from the date of purchase.  BRYMEN's warranty does not apply to accessories, fuses, fusible resistors, spark gaps, batteries or any product which, in BRYMEN's opinion, has been misused, altered, neglected, or damaged by accident or abnormal conditions of operation or handling.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:02:38 am »
Normally Lifetime warranty is not transferable for any item from any manufacturer. If item was resold, usually only basic 1-3 year warranty is left.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:24 am »
Metrel, in Europe, has a 2 year limited warranty scheme on their meters. It is unclear whether  they are selling the S version of the Brymen meters or the previous one. The downloadable manual only states compliance with the 2nd edition of the IEC regulations, which would be illegal on European territory nowadays.
Their 2015 catalogue only features the old 8A version of the BM257.

http://www.metrel.si/products/digital-multimeters-current-clamps-voltage-testers/digital-multimeters.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:47:58 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:18 am »
I just looked at the Fluke site down here and compared it to the US site and others, the AU site declares that the warranty period is nominated in the manual included with the equipment yet the overseas sites actually describe the period on the sites, so it looks like we have to by the stuff first and worry about the warranty later, sould be safe I suppose.
Sorry to be off topic, I thought it was interesting.

Muttley

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/auen/service/warranties/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:21:37 am by Muttley Snickers »

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:25 am »
Really? You don't know your Fluke warranty in AUS until you buy?

No problem with adding this information as it was the discussion of Brymen and Greenlee warranties vs Fluke that initiated the call to Greenlee.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:21 am »
Fluke 15B and 17B and possibly 101  :-// are not warranteed outside China. No doubt there are more.
They are not intended for the WW market but great little meters regardless.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:29 am »
I did a bit more digging and the warranty period is declared at the bottom of the specifications page on the AU site, for example the 117 has 3 years, 179 and 87V are lifetime, no info on the 289 as yet and not sure about the others, my shovel is getting blunt so it's probably time to pull out the jack hammer.

Muttley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:09:06 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:39:21 am »
Fluke 15B and 17B and possibly 101  :-// are not warranteed outside China. No doubt there are more.
They are not intended for the WW market but great little meters regardless.

Warranty for the international version of the 17B+ and 101:

This Fluke product will be free from defects in material and workmanship for one
year from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover fuses, disposable
batteries, or damage from accident, neglect, misuse, alteration, contamination, or
abnormal conditions of operation or handling. Resellers are not authorized to
extend any other warranty on Fluke’s behalf. To obtain service during the warranty
period, contact your nearest Fluke authorized service center to obtain return
authorization information, then send the product to that Service Center with a
description of the problem.
THIS WARRANTY IS YOUR ONLY REMEDY. NO OTHER WARRANTIES, SUCH
AS FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.
FLUKE IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING FROM ANY CAUSE OR
THEORY. Since some states or countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of
an implied warranty or of incidental or consequential damages, this limitation of
liability may not apply to you.
Fluke Corporation
P.O. Box 9090
Everett, WA 98206-9090
U.S.A.
Fluke Europe B.V.
P.O. Box 1186
5602 BD Eindhoven
The Netherlands

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:43:49 am by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo