Author Topic: DS1054z No waveform on any channel  (Read 7280 times)

Offline realitycomputerTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: DS1054z No waveform on any channel
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:47 pm »
Thanks for your input.

Yes, I have tried changing mem depth, etc. No difference.
I've tried switching to XY mode. No difference.
I've tried switching on "All Measurements" (?), where the table of everything comes up and it just shows a "blank" line, like "-" in all values.
I think the hardware frequency meter shows "<1Hz", iirc, and just that - no matter what.

Something appears to be blocking all 4 inputs, as if they've simply been disconnected from the machine.  :-//

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 11:49:09 pm »
Even with no input it should still draw a flat trace if you press "single"

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 11:54:11 pm »
I tried a reset by holding the 5th left side grey button in, during power up (resulting in changing to a Chinese language layout)

Several years ago, another forum member restored functionality to their DS1054Z (after a 5th button reset failed to help) using a method suggested by a Rigol distributor:
Ok, its fixed now. I inserted the USB-stick, and during power-on I repeatedly pressed the "Help" button on the scope. The scope booted and asked if I wanted to update the firmware. I pressed "Cancel" and the scope is now working again.

It might be worth a try, even though the fault with their DS1054Z was different (it would stick at the boot screen). The original thread is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/rigol-ds1054z-stuck-during-boot/

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:19 am »
Thanks for the suggestions....

I have done a USB boot with a firmware update which installed fine.
I'll try the opt-out method suggested!

Just to re-iterate, everything appears to works fine, as in key presses, selecting various settings, etc, except there just aren't any traces!?  :-BROKE

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 06:21:23 am »
Upload a screenshot, let's see if we can spot anything.

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 04:39:07 pm »
There's a couple of screen shots on page 1, and I'll take some more showing more selections....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
Like I said back in September: Take it apart, check the power supply voltages.

If they all look OK then maybe there's a bad solder joint somewhere, get your magnifying glass out.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »
Something appears to be blocking all 4 inputs, as if they've simply been disconnected from the machine.  :-
The ADC, its clock or its power supply.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39:29 am »
Like I said back in September: Take it apart, check the power supply voltages.

If they all look OK then maybe there's a bad solder joint somewhere, get your magnifying glass out.

Yes, I'd been avoiding having to resort to that, as it's only 18 months old, with around 20 hours usage !
I think it's got about 10 hours or so left on the trial features.
I bought it long before I really needed it!

I ended up returning it to the dealer. They took about 3 weeks, 3 people asking for my details via email, etc, before arranging a collection.
Then they contacted me to say someone might have "hacked the firmware" so they don't want to know..........
It then took around 5 weeks for them to return it.

Since then I've put it up for a while, feeling extremely pi**ed off about it all.
Been trying to decide what to do.
Eventually, I thought I'd check back here and try again to see if I could find any help\clues!

At this point, I suppose I'm just going to have to do whatever I can.....
I am only a beginner hobbyist and it's my first scope, to learn with.

Can you load the default settings and activate all four channels, then save the settings to a USB stick and upload them here?

Ok, thanks for that. I'll do it......

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 01:50:26 am »
Ok so you have learned how much you can trust cheap chinese shit. Not a bad outcome.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 02:11:02 am »
I ended up returning it to the dealer. They took about 3 weeks, 3 people asking for my details via email, etc, before arranging a collection.
Then they contacted me to say someone might have "hacked the firmware" so they don't want to know..........

Since then I've put it up for a while, feeling extremely pi**ed off about it all.

You are pi**ed that after stealing upgrade Licenses from Rigol they declined your request for service?

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 02:19:03 am »

You are pi**ed that after stealing upgrade Licenses from Rigol they declined your request for service?

I think you might have mis-read something?
I haven't even used up the trial time yet!
They are of the opinion that its had a hacked firmware loaded onto it.
This is complete rubbish. I'm only just starting to learn a bit about electronics. I'm not a firmware hacker!! LOL!
Before they got the machine they sent me a firmware to put on it, which I did, successfully ! So, it's their own firmware that's on it anyway!

But anyway,thanks for your constructive help.  :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 02:23:41 am »
Ok so you have learned how much you can trust cheap chinese shit. Not a bad outcome.

Yep, I followed the sheep and went for the Rigol  |O
It appeared to be a well recommended beginners scope....

But anyway, I don't suppose there's a simple way to test the ADC, is there!?

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 02:32:34 am »
Nothing wrong with buying "Chinese shit" if you pick well and a modern Rigol is usually a good pick. Agilent have rebadged Rigol scopes. LeCroy have done joint development with Siglent on scopes. Your scope is a generally well recommended reliable scope so I don't know why it has failed in such a strange way.

Whoever your distributor is seems to be clueless if they're denying warranty service for a hack you've not even done.

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 02:54:33 am »
Yes, I think they're simply avoiding dealing with returns. It took weeks of emails to arrange the return.
I have noticed their stock levels dwindling, too.
They were extremely evasive about explaining exactly what they meant.

I bought it when starting out with my new hobby, long before I needed or understood it at all!
I got in maybe 20 hours usage last summer. That was an expensive 20 hours of playing around!

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 03:12:58 am »
I think you might have mis-read something?
I haven't even used up the trial time yet!
They are of the opinion that its had a hacked firmware loaded onto it.

Inn that case I apologize, I understand there attitude if you sent it in with hacked FW but since this is not the case you really need to push for a resolution with Rigol directly and name the distributor so people know who to avoid. Legally they have to honor the warranty and Rigol is not a no-name brand anymore, I would expect them to stand behind their products to maintain a good brand image.

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 03:18:13 am »
I've tested the disconnected power supply.

Some of the voltages are a bit off, but I'm not sure if it's common, or because it's not under load....

The 6.3v is a little high.
The -7.5v is a little low.

All in all, I suppose it's ok.

Below is a table of the socket layout. I'll put it here for my own reference, as much as anything. I lose pieces of paper!
xxx = expected value
(xxx) = actual value

Gnd     Gnd
-17.5 (17.41)     FAN (0)
6.3 (6.89)     6.3 (6.89)
FAN (10.15)     -7.5 (-6.86)
17.5 (17.50)     AC Trig (0)
5V5A (5.08)     5V5A (5.08)
Gnd     Gnd

Should I expect anything on the AC trig ??
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:29:21 am by realitycomputer »

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 03:26:35 am »

........................you really need to push for a resolution with Rigol directly ..............................

This is why I've sat on it over the Christmas/ New Year period, contemplating what to do.
I suppose I kept hoping I would discover on here that it was something simple that I could easily fix!

I've opened it up this evening, so I've "invalidated" the warranty, as some manufacturers would have us believe!
So now it's onward and upward!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 07:59:35 am »

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Are the forums full of people with broken Rigols? Nope. Build quality is excellent on these.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 08:01:41 am »
Yes, I think they're simply avoiding dealing with returns. It took weeks of emails to arrange the return.
I have noticed their stock levels dwindling, too.
They were extremely evasive about explaining exactly what they meant.

Sounds like a dodgy dealer to me. Who are they? Name and shame.

If they're an authorized dealer then Rigol needs to know.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:04:36 am by Fungus »

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 09:53:22 am »
A possible alternative approach to your problem, that sometimes locates 'dry' solder' joints, is localised temperature cycling.  As you have already  opened the case you can access the main PCB.  With the scope powered up try heating up areas of the main PCB with a hairdryer or hot air gun and then use 'arctic spray' on individual ICs to freeze them down again.  Temperature cycling the main PCB/ICs  a few times may help show up a poor solder joint. Don't overdo the heat though you don't want to melt anything. If the trace returns then try to localise which component area is causing the problem.  If you are lucky this may locate a 'dry joint' if unlucky a faulty IC. I once had an IC regularly fail when it went above 50 C which recovered when below 50 C it was just like a thermostat. If this doesn't work power down the scope and move on to using a magnifier to do a detailed inspection of the solder joints on the ICs (particularly the larger ones with multiple pins).  Hopefully you will locate a poor joint and a resolder will solve the problem.  A few years back Dave did a tear down video of the DS1054Z which may prove useful in locating the different functions of the scope on the PCB.

Best of luck.
John

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 10:06:11 am »
A possible alternative approach to your problem, that sometimes locates 'dry' solder' joints, is localised temperature cycling.  As you have already  opened the case you can access the main PCB.  With the scope powered up try heating up areas of the main PCB with a hairdryer or hot air gun

Yep. If it worked before then stopped working then it could be the difference between summer and winter.

Localized warming could narrow it down.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »
If you bought it on a credit card, you have double the manufacturers warranty.  Call VISA or Mastercard and ask for help.  Then you can pay Rigol to fix it and have the CC company reimburse you.

I have used this route successfully when suppliers or OEMs won't honor warranties.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf