Author Topic: Interchangeability of Waveform file format between Rigol and Siglent  (Read 2277 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello,
I wanted to check here about the interchangeability of Waveform file format between Rigol scope and Siglent function generator.

More in particular I wanted to check if it would be possible to capture waveform with Rigol DS1000Z/DS2000 series oscilloscope, and then later on use the captured waveform as arbitrary waveform on the Siglent SDG1020 function generator.

Probably this is not possible, and that's a pity, as it looks like SDG1020 from Siglent is a better deal than DG1022/A from Rigol currently.

Is it a correct understanding that SDG1020 from Siglent is currently best deal for function generator? Rigol DG1000 series has less memory depth and resolution, and the DG1000Z series is much more expensive.

If the Waveform file format is not compatible as such, would there exist conversion tools, or would this be easy to write yourself?

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
Re: Interchangeability of Waveform file format between Rigol and Siglent
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:17 pm »
I wanted to check here about the interchangeability of Waveform file format between Rigol scope and Siglent function generator.

More in particular I wanted to check if it would be possible to capture waveform with Rigol DS1000Z/DS2000 series oscilloscope, and then later on use the captured waveform as arbitrary waveform on the Siglent SDG1020 function generator.

[...]

If the Waveform file format is not compatible as such, would there exist conversion tools, or would this be easy to write yourself?
I'm not familiar with the format the Siglent expects, but I think you can safely assume it's not going to be compatible in any way with what Rigol puts out.

Converting between file formats like this, and indeed captured waveforms and file formats, is one of the things we're doing in the sigrok project. We have a modular system for hardware (including Rigol scopes), and input/output formats. No support for function generators yet, but writing an output module for the Siglent AWG format should be pretty easy.

You can help make it happen by writing that module, or, if you're not into C programming, documenting the file format for our wiki.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Interchangeability of Waveform file format between Rigol and Siglent
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:18:25 pm »

I don't know what file formats the Siglent accepts, but I imagine it will take a .CSV format of one type or another - and the Rigol can write .CSV files of the waveform - so it would be a trivial matter to make a converter (it could likely be done in Excel).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf