Author Topic: DS2000A Upgrade Utility  (Read 138367 times)

Offline madcrowTopic starter

• Contributor
DS2000A Upgrade Utility
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
Hello Everyone!

I created a little application which will help you upgrade and manage your DS2000A series DSOs. (Only for DS2000A models! The older DS2000 product line is not supported.)

It has a wizard-like user interface, and it guides you through all the steps of the option-upgrade process. The steps are in fact the same as explained many times in  our favourite Rigol monster-thread ;) but the process is now fully automated. The only thing you need to do manually is upload the special FW on the device (the Utility will also explain to you how to do that). No Hex-editing, no SCPI commands in Ultra Sigma is necessary any more, all you need is the Utility itself and a USB flash drive.

OS compatibility:
Vista x32 / x64 or newer

Features:
Wen you successfully completed the wizard for at least one DS2000A device, the Utility will swich its GUI to "Quick configuration mode", where all the upgrade related features are within a reach of one mouse-click. This mode also offers you some cool additional features like device discovery via LAN, screenshot saving, DSO settings backup / restore, date & time syncronization, self test, and an SCPI terminal.
In this mode, most controls (buttons, list boxes, etc.) have tooltips, which inform you about their purpose and correct use.

Installation:
The Utility comes with an "Installer" (a pimped SFX archive, really) which also installs all dependencies if necessary (i.e. not already installed).

Credits:
The Utility utilizes Zombie28's modified FW, and (a slightly modified version of) Tirulerbach's Rigup key decryption tool. It is them, who did the really heavy lifting, without them this application could not exist. All I did was wrap these compontents in a nice and easy-to-use package.

Bugs:
If you find any, please send me the error log and explain how to reproduce the issue. I will do my best to fix critical errors, but you must understand that my time and resources are limited, so no guarantees, no ETA.

Questions:
Please always read the instructions of the wizard carefully. In "Quick configuration" mode, check out the tooltips. If there is something that is still not clear, take a look at the help file. At this point, if you still have questions, drop me a line, and I will try to shed some light on the issue.

Disclaimer:
I refuse to take any kind of responsibility if you damage / brick your DSO while using the Utility.
That being said, I tested it on my DS2072A multiple times, and it is still alive and kicking :)
As long as you follow the instructions of the wizard, and minimize the possibility of a power outage during the FW update, you will be fine.

Latest release: 1.0.0.1 (11.04.2014)

Changelog

Source files

Standard edition (with installer)
Portable edition
VirusTotal analysis of the Portable edition

Mirrored on http://gotroot.ca, courtesy of VE7XEN:
Standard edition (with installer)
Portable edition
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:47:18 am by madcrow »

The following users thanked this post: jeanguypataterub

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DS2000A Upgrade Utility
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »
Fantastic! Can't wait to check it out!

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »
Here are some screenshots:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:43:01 pm by madcrow »

Offline KA3YAN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »
If you're able to get the link posted for download today, I'll give'er a try this evening.  The screenshots look fantastic!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:30 pm »
Hey, that's pretty slick.  Though it is definitely biting the hand that feeds you in terms of hacking.  If people didn't make it so damned easy to upgrade their scopes for free, I doubt Rigol wouldn't be so hell-bent on fixing their exploits like they are.

I do appreciate the skill in your UI creation, though.  It looks very, very good.

Could you design a UI for me, since I'm on the topic?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »
If you're able to get the link posted for download today, I'll give'er a try this evening.  The screenshots look fantastic!

Hey KA3YAN,

I already did, even before posting the screenshots, actually :)
It is added to the end of the first post.

Offline sanman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
Warning: I'm seeing a Trojan embedded in your download link.

Threat: 'Troj/Agent-XGI' detected in /Users/VIRTEST/Downloads/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_0_Installer.exe

Beware!  :-[
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:14:03 pm by sanman »

Offline KA3YAN

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »
I already did, even before posting the screenshots, actually :)
It is added to the end of the first post.

Well dang.  I totally missed it.  Thanks.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:53 pm »
Warning: I'm seeing a Trojan embedded in your download link.

Threat: 'Troj/Agent-XGI' detected in /Users/VIRTEST/Downloads/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_0_Installer.exe

Beware!  :-[

Hm... strange. I have an up to date NOD32 antivirus SW installed on my system. Are you sure it is not a false alarm?
Tomorrow I will test it with some additional antimalware tools. Could you please do the same?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »
Hey, that's pretty slick.  Though it is definitely biting the hand that feeds you in terms of hacking.

I hope you are wrong about Rigol's reaction :) Although I would be lying if I said I did not wonder about the same thing.
Having a convenient way to upgrade will definitely affect the sales volumes of both the higher-end and lower-end DS2000A models (in the opposite direction, obviously). Whether this means less or more profit for Rigol depends entirely on the extent of these changes compared to each other.
Personally, I have nothing against Rigol, I actually respect them for putting out very decent products at reasonable prices. And I sincerely hope I am not hurting them by doing this.
If there are others among us who share your opinion I encourage them to let me know. If there are a significant number of people who think this app will piss off Rigol and have an negative impact on future DS2kA FWs, future Rigol DSO models, I promise I will stop sharing it.

I'll PM you about the UI.

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »
Uh-oh.... Symantec reports Trojan in the dotNet 451 silent laucher.... user beware!
Now that several AV packages report Trojan I do not think it is a false positive, sorry :(

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »
Uh-oh.... Symantec reports Trojan in the dotNet 451 silent laucher.... user beware!
Now that several AV packages report Trojan I do not think it is a false positive, sorry :(

This is just great... Why do I even bother to keep antivirus SW on my PC?  |O
Anyway, many thanks for letting us know. I removed all download links until I investigate this trojan thing. I'll try to take a closer look on it tomorrow.

@Mr Simpleton,
@sanman
Can you tell me exactly which antivirus / antimalware SW you are using?

Offline NYG

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:36:07 pm »
I scanned the file with Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything unusual.

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:55 pm »
Have you planned to provide the source code? or allowing others to openly participate in it? (translations, test, new functions)

If so, you could post links to the source code, it is safer for everyone.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:10 am »
Have you planned to provide the source code? or allowing others to openly participate in it? (translations, test, new functions)

If so, you could post links to the source code, it is safer for everyone.

+1

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:22 am »
Should you have any doubt, DO NOT run in your live computer, run it a "disposable" VM instead.

Once you got the key you wanted, dispose accordingly.  :P

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:09 am »
I wish it was an open/community tool and not only a cracker with a nice UI.

Being a little paranoid (but with all respect to madcrow) .... I did not put my serial on a program I do not know what to do with it.

A VM, great idea, but without access to the internet, and being destroyed so that no information leaves the sandbox.

Being little more paranoid .... IF .... madcrow it's a RIGOL agent or competitor? :) In his evil plan for bench world domination,  could corrupt or degrade their targets, our nice hacked tools, subtly after defeating our field of trust with early versions, which of course work fine...

I still prefer the public acces to the source code.

ps: after the joke, congrats madcrow, nice work !.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:36:45 am by manzini »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
Try uploading the file to www.virustotal.com it tests the file with multiple malware scanners. Gives you an idea if it's a false positive or not.

Note: many av programs false positive on any sort of obfuscation that is done.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 06:14:16 am »
Try uploading the file to www.virustotal.com it tests the file with multiple malware scanners. Gives you an idea if it's a false positive or not.

Note: many av programs false positive on any sort of obfuscation that is done.

File is too big - 150MB, max upload file size is 64MB.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:46 am »
Hey Guys,

Good news: The SW is safe, the AV warning is a false positive.
Let me explain why:

A key component of the DS2000A Upgrade Utility is the NI VISA runtime, which supports only WIX as a deployment engine. WIX has a notoriously steep learning curve though, building an installer + chainer with it would have taken as much time as I spent developing the app itself. This I why I am using a WinRAR self extracting archive in combination with some helper executables instead.
It is these helper executables (bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64.exe, bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64-silent-w-installation-detector.exe, .Net451-x86-x64-silent-launcher-w-installation-detector.exe), which show up as false positives in some AV tools' tests.

VirusTotal evaluation of these files:
https://www.virustotal.com/hu/file/818cadd114fd39d6219f1029fb5f751d880863361b627171541ec9535ac72713/analysis/1396480447/
https://www.virustotal.com/hu/file/a113bf6398720e862921878be514a98650d20e366cf60cf42e24aec324e5939a/analysis/

What are these files exactly?
They are converted from batch files using the "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" tool. They also contain some embedded exe files (bonjour* contain the original x86 and x64 Bonjour .msi installers, .Net451-x86-x64-silent-launcher-w-installation-detector.exe contains a .Net installation detector tool written in c++ based on an MSDN article).

Executables created with "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" have been known to produce false positives in several AV tools.
Here is a comparision article introducing the tool (#4 in the list):
http://4sysops.com/archives/free-bat-to-exe-converter-4-ways-to-convert-a-batch-file-to-an-exe-file/
And here is the response of the author to the comments regarding the trojan warnings:
http://4sysops.com/archives/free-bat-to-exe-converter-4-ways-to-convert-a-batch-file-to-an-exe-file/#comment-287556

Hope I managed to calm your nerves :)

I restored the download links in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:10:39 am by madcrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:09 am »
I wish it was an open/community tool and not only a cracker with a nice UI.

[OFF]
No offense taken. A little paranoia is never a bad thing IMO. That being said, your paranoia might be just a bit over the healthy amount ;)
Just out of curiousity: If i were indeed some evil mastermind like you suggested, what would I gain by getting my hands on a bunch of Rigol S/Ns? They are printed on the outside of the packaging, for crying out loud... If I were so interested in them, I could just visit a friendly dealer and write down as many as I like. But what good would it do to me?
It is just like the obsession with faces and licence plates nowadays. Everyone wants to make them disapper from every photo. Why? How could anyone cause me harm by simply knowing my licence plate number or what my face looks like?
Or is it just me who doesn't see the big picture here?
[/OFF]

As for the Open source thing:
Believe it or not, I did think about it. But my opinion is that it would only work if there is someone watching over and coordinating the development.
And I sure as hell do not want to be that guy. It would require way too much effort.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:01:35 pm by madcrow »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:02 am »
It doesn't need to be open source (because then other people can make bad versions)
Just find a way to make it not generate 'false positives' !!
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:33 am »
It doesn't need to be open source (because then other people can make bad versions)
Yep, this is exactly what meant when I mentioned the need for central oversight: preventing bad modifications.

Well I could easily make a portable "paranoid edition" :P, without the installer/uninstaller part. Since the problematic files are parts of the installer, doing so should eliminate the false positives entirely.
Needless to say, installing the dependencies is going to be your responsibility in that case.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:22 am »
Could you please replace these two direct download links with these two VirusTotal links instead:
Then you see a virus report before downloading and the file URL are at the top of the VirusTotal pages. And people can also add comments there discussing if there's any false positives or actual trojans/viruses.
You can add any file links here https://www.virustotal.com/#url and it will create a VirusTotal link instead with direct download links and virus reports.

Btw. if you want you can manually remove 'hu/' from the links before posting them to make them a bit shorter and if you don't want people to see you are from Hungary. So https://www.virustotal.com/hu/url/... becomes https://www.virustotal.com/url/...
When clicking the 'hu/' part will be automatically inserted or changed to another language depending on you location.

OK, I've just updated th OP. Since I could not find any clickable download links on the VirusTotal pages, I left the original DL links in the OP as well.

Thanks a lot for the tip regarding the language settings! I did try replacing "hu" by "en", but it did not work. And it just did not cross my mind to give it a try without a language ID.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:23:45 am by madcrow »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:23 am »
As for the open source thing, store it on GitHub, and people can fork the code, and do their thing, if someone makes some insanely good codecontributions, it can "easily" be merged in..

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 08:36:58 am »
Download link
Mirror 1
Could you please replace these two direct download links with these two VirusTotal links instead:

Download link: https://www.virustotal.com/url/029ed60a28546c71f28bf314bfad4e397cab65c6c81020a05b4b7fe735a60b06/analysis/1396511367/

Mirror 1: https://www.virustotal.com/url/62a59092a4c65bff087f185176f6a3460925085de5cde1f9afdb0d58200608ce/analysis/1396511872/

Then you see a virus report before downloading and the file URL are at the top of the VirusTotal pages. And people can also add comments there discussing if there's any false positives or actual trojans/viruses.

You can add any file links here https://www.virustotal.com/#url and it will create a VirusTotal link instead with direct download links and virus reports.

Btw. if you want you can manually remove 'hu/' from the links before posting them to make them a bit shorter and if you don't want people to see you are from Hungary. So https://www.virustotal.com/hu/url/... becomes https://www.virustotal.com/url/...
When clicking the 'hu/' part will be automatically inserted or changed to another language depending on you location.
On 2nd thought actually I think this just scans the website links, but not the DL file itself. You have to enter a DL code to even get access to downloading the file. The scan was very quick and VirusTotal won't even scan files above 64 MB anyway, so I don't think it scans the file itself.

So I think you should just delete these VirusTotal links again as they just gives a false sense of security.

I have deleted my original post again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:39:40 am by AndersAnd »

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »
I took the package, stripped the uninstaller, the installation-helper executables, as well as the installers of all the prequisites.
I adapted its help file accordingly, repacked it az a ZIP archive and uploaded it as a "Portable edition" (see OP)
As expected, VirusTotal gives it a 100% clean rating. If that is not good enough for you I do not know what is.

So from now on, I'll consider the whole "trojan false alarm" thing closed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:08:59 pm by madcrow »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »
Thanks, I'm considering buying the DS2072A for the deep memory and the cheap 300Mhz BW. (as second scope)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:02:37 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
Thanks, I'm considering buying the DS2072A for the deep memory and the cheap 300Mhz BW. (as second scope)

If good after-sales support is important for you, I can only recommend Silcon Electronics.
The owner, Petr Smid is also an EEVBlog member under the nickname "Drieg". He has tremendous experience with Rigol DSOs, and he is very helpful.
Like many other EEVBlog members, I bought my DS2072a from him an have not regretted it.
BTW, they offer free shipping within the EU :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:11:41 pm by madcrow »

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:43 pm »

That... doesn't make any sense.  Anyone can patch a binary or replace a binary in a closed source installer and turn a "good" version into a "bad" version.  Open source has nothing at all to do with that.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 04:07:04 pm »

That... doesn't make any sense.  Anyone can patch a binary or replace a binary in a closed source installer and turn a "good" version into a "bad" version.  Open source has nothing at all to do with that.
Yes, you are right it still can be made bad, but I'm pretty sure it will be much easier to spot a bad one if there is only one good version.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:24:05 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »
If good after-sales support is important for you, I can only recommend Silcon Electronics.
The owner, Petr Smid is also an EEVBlog member under the nickname "Drieg". He has tremendous experience with Rigol DSOs, and he is very helpful.
Like many other EEVBlog members, I bought my DS2072a from him an have not regretted it.
BTW, they offer free shipping within the EU :)
Thanks for the info.

edit: deleted, batronix isn't cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:32:55 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Arkku

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 06:32:30 pm »
Regarding open sourcing this, I personally feel strongly that open source is the only way for this kind of “hack” based on community effort (by the author's admission, the key functionality is the modified firmware and rigup). Open sourcing is giving back to the community, and it also means that once the original author is no longer interested in maintaining the utility, and the procedure changes, others can take up the work.

But of course here one can simply choose not to use the utility and do the modification manually, so no harm done as such, except maybe for potential burden of helpful people having to provide support for the utility in problem cases without knowing what's actually happening inside.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »
Yes, you are right it still can be made bad, but I'm pretty sure it will be much easier to spot a bad one if there is only one good version.

Not really, not to me, anyway.  Give me the source so I can see it and compile it myself, ESPECIALLY if it's a C# app, and I'll be happiest.

Maybe (omg) I can contribute a fix or 10 back to the repository and improve it.  If I have to get it from GitHub then I know it's legit, binary or not.  I don't know if it's legit or not if it's from some silly free web filehosting crapsite like it is now.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 01:08:32 am »
Wow, what an enormous amount of pissing and moaning  :rant: about a tool someone spent their time on, for free, to try to help people out.

Way to say "thanks"!   :clap:   :-+

[/sarcasm]

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 01:13:30 am »
Wow, what an enormous amount of pissing and moaning  :rant: about a tool someone spent their time on, for free, to try to help people out.

[/sarcasm]

Specially when the original source is available and linked on the monster thread.
Write your own people and make it open source if you feel so strong about it!
 :box:

And as a bonus you have to look through the sniffing thread to find where the code is at!  :-DD

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 02:55:10 am »

[/sarcasm]

i wasn't informed that thanks were required.  is this a new rule of yours?  i don't own a DS2000A so I'm not sure why I should be saying thanks.

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:18 pm »
========UPDATE========
=====================

This afternoon, I ditched the "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" tool along with my current install-helper executables, and recreated them using AutoHotKey. The upside is that AutoHotKey is a much more widely known and used scripting tool, and consequently, compiled AHK scripts are whitelisted by all major AV solutions.
I uploaded an all-new installer package (under the old link in the OP), built on the AHK install-scripts, which look an awful lot better in virusTotal:
VirusTotal analysis of dotNet451-x86-x64-silent-launcher-w-installation-detector.exe
VirusTotal analysis of bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64-silent-w-installation-detector.exe
VirusTotal analysis of bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64.exe
As you can see, all the "big players" (Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc.) report them as safe.

@People, who already installed the previous release:
It is unnecessary for you to update to this one! The application itself is exactly the same as before  (this is why the version number is still 1.0.0.0). In fact, functionally, everything is the same. The only difference is that the installer-scripts are now written in a different language. The only reason I made this adjustment is to make the installer look more trustworthy for newcomers.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:26:26 pm by madcrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
Specially when the original source is available and linked on the monster thread.

Hey Mark_O and miguelvp

Thanks for the support. It's really nice to see there are some people out there who actually appreciate my effort :)

BTW, have you already tried the Utility?
If you are using a Win8.x OS and/or you chose the package with the built-in installer, it would be very useful for me if you could provide some feedback. (E.g.: Did the app complain about missing components after installation? Does it work and look OK under Win8?)

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:51 pm »
Here is the source, binary and changelog of the updated "rigup" tool I am using in the Utility, in case any of the open-source fans are interested.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 10:09:39 pm »

Hey Mark_O and miguelvp

Thanks for the support. It's really nice to see there are some people out there who actually appreciate my effort :)

I don't understand why asking for source is complaining or even considered ungrateful.  I'm not an ass-kisser, if that what you mean by appreciation.

I already complimented you on your GUI skills and asked if you'd be interested in designing a GUI for me, but you turned me down.  We didn't even get to the "how much will you pay me" bit before you just said you were too busy.  That's fine, and I hope you understood that I would not be interested in your GUI skills if I didn't think they were really good...

Rigup source is available in a lot of places.  I'm a C# developer.  I wanted to see the entire solution and just see how someone else writes their code.

Sorry.  I won't ask again...  Clearly I've offended you deeply and apparently have cost you thousands of moneys in pain and suffering....

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 11:59:49 pm »
BTW, have you already tried the Utility?

No, I have the non A model and I don't need to change anything on it.

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 04:54:26 pm »
I don't understand why asking for source is complaining or even considered ungrateful.  I'm not an ass-kisser, if that what you mean by appreciation.
Rigby,
I don't understand why you are assuming my comment was directed specifically at you... You were not the only one requesting the source, and also not nearly the loudest one among them. Plus I do remember and appreciate your compliment.
On the other hand, I admit, I was getting increasingly pissed off about receiving two full pages of comments, 80% of which was about moaning about things unrelated to the actual functionality of the application.

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 04:58:28 pm »
About publishing the source:

I've wanted to provide a certain level of support for the software. And it would be very difficult to do if people started to create their own variants, and (inevitably) sharing them with others who might not even be aware they were using non-standard releases, consequently asking me to explain features / fix bugs that might not even exist in the main release. This is why I consider providing support and publishing the source mutually exclusive.

So I definitely do not want to make the SW open-source, at least not initially. But it doesn't mean I entirely discarded the idea.
In any of one of the following scenarios I will publish the source:
  • A sufficient amount of time has passed without any contact from users (which means the SW can be considered stable and well documented, thus not needing my support anymore).
  • I loose interest or for any other reason cannot keep up the support
  • A bug is discovered, which I cannot fix due to lack of time or skills.
I believe this is a fair and reasonable approach, which is in everyone's best interest.

Offline Noircogi

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »
I tried to use this tool on my new DS2072A.

It could not detect the USB-connected scope at that step after loading the custom firmware.  Ultra-sigma worked fine.  I ended up just doing the upgrade manually.

My PC is running Windows 8.1 x64 and I tried multiple USB controllers/ports.  ultra-sigma could see the scope in every case.

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:26 pm »
It could not detect the USB-connected scope at that step after loading the custom firmware.  Ultra-sigma worked fine.  I ended up just doing the upgrade manually.
My PC is running Windows 8.1 x64 and I tried multiple USB controllers/ports.  ultra-sigma could see the scope in every case.

Hey Noircogi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 possible reasons:
  • You are using an old version of the NI VISA runtime (It has to be >=v5.4)
  • The serial number of your DSO does not start with "DS2D" (in which case it gets filtered out in the discovery process)
  • There is a bug in the SW which makes it incompatible with your config.

What you can do:
  • Check if there is an error log (ErrorLog.txt) in "[Installation folder]\Temp\" and if there is, please send it to me.
  • If you used the variant with the built-in installer, there should be a log (NiVisa.log) generated by the NI VISA installer in "[Installation folder]\Installers\". It might be a good idea to take a look at it. If it says there was a problem during installation, you should try reinstalling the VISA 5.4 drivers manually.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:59 am »
Portable version mirrored here, as usual: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

Happy to host the full version, but these stupid download sites make me download it at home then upload it again, and after 100MB or so I gave up. If anyone wants me to bother, just ask.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »
stupid download sites

They are stupid and I have no idea why people use them.  I inherently distrust software served from these places.  Legit software authors should know better.
  • Amazon S3 (< $0.10/month for the traffic we'll create for a file this size.)
  • Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Google Drive
  • etc...

Offline Rutger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »
I am thinking about getting a Rigol DS1074z, will this utility work for the DS1000Z series scopes?

Thanks for writing the Utility!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »
No, but getting license keys for the DS1074Z is as easy as filling out a form.

This utility was generated because for this particular scope (the DS2000A series) it isn't so easy.  This utility automates a bit of that into a wizard.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 04:08:47 pm »
They are stupid and I have no idea why people use them.  I inherently distrust software served from these places.  Legit software authors should know better.
Or at the very least provide some checksums. Provided you trust the authors post on this forum of course. At least that then solves the "I trust you, but not your crappy download location" issue.

That method has worked for me in the past. Get the part including the checksums using annoyingly slow but trusted channel A, then get the bulk using non-trusted but fast channel B. Then verify checksums. And if they managed that many hash collisions I deserve the malware. :P

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:34:03 pm by mrflibble »

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »
Happy to host the full version, but these stupid download sites make me download it at home then upload it again, and after 100MB or so I gave up. If anyone wants me to bother, just ask.
PM-ed you

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »
stupid download sites

• Amazon S3 (< $0.10/month for the traffic we'll create for a file this size.)
  • Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Google Drive
  • etc...

I can kinda understand, as one may not trust the anonymity of services that require a login (or credit card!) for a "hacking" tool.

madcrow requested, so I have now mirrored both files.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 02:42:20 am »

It could not detect the USB-connected scope at that step after loading the custom firmware.

Ditto.

When I plug in the scope, the computer plays the connection sound but nothing appears in the selection pane.

During the installation process, some NI utility was installed, but obviously not the correct one.
So, I downloaded visa540_runtime from ni.com, where I had to create an account. After unzipping and running setup.exe, a message came up that no notifications could be found and no software will be installed. Then I downloaded the same named program from Batronix and again, no software will be installed.

Ergo, while the upgrade utility will work for some, it does not work for others.

It just sounded too good to be true.

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:04 am »

It could not detect the USB-connected scope at that step after loading the custom firmware.

Ditto.

When I plug in the scope, the computer plays the connection sound but nothing appears in the selection pane.

During the installation process, some NI utility was installed, but obviously not the correct one.
So, I downloaded visa540_runtime from ni.com, where I had to create an account. After unzipping and running setup.exe, a message came up that no notifications could be found and no software will be installed. Then I downloaded the same named program from Batronix and again, no software will be installed.

Ergo, while the upgrade utility will work for some, it does not work for others.

It just sounded too good to be true.

Sorry about the connection issue, guys.
Last night, I investigated the issue and found the cause of the problem (dll binding redirect stuff). Stay tuned for a fixed version in the next couple of days ;)
I am happy to provide technical details about the problem and fix, too, in case someone is interested.

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »
========UPDATE========
=====================

I am happy to announce that the connection issue reported by Noircogi and Kappes Buur is now completely fixed.
I performed all my recent tests on a WIN8.1 x64 VM, so now I can also confirm that the Utility is fully compatible with Win8[.1].
I also thoroughly tested (and then updated) the install / uninstall mechanism.
The new release along with the changelog is available in the OP.
Have fun :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:14:16 pm by madcrow »

Offline hari

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2014, 06:25:40 am »
the tool itself seems to be a nice job, but I also think that lowering the effort for the hack that much puts even more pressure on Rigol to prevent such hacks in the future. My 2c.

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 07:01:57 am »
========UPDATE======== worked perfectly. Thank you.

My two cents worth on if this is good or bad in the long run.
From what I can tell, the DS2072A is just flying off the shelf, at least at Tequipment.
They seem to buy them in 100 lots and within a few weeks they are gone. I doubt
very much, that this kind of sales turnover could have been achieved without the
possibility of an easy upgrade.

If  this had not been investigated as thoroughly as indicated in the 'Sniffing' thread,
most likely some other, lower priced oscilloscope, would have been more popular.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:06:25 am by Kappes Buur »

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »
@madcrow

sorry mate,  Stupid Question

I had the same issue with the USB Connection Not Detecting
i know you said the fix was available at the OP

i didn't understand what you meant by that

I'm assuming i need to re download the Standard Edition with Installer from this location again
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/
and then repeat the process ??

i did that, However the file is the same and i get the same issue

is there another location i should be getting the file from

I'll keep a keen eye on this Forum and Await your reply

thanks again, in advance.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »
For the Sake of Troubleshooting and Further to my issue of Running the Application and not having the DS2072A Detect at the "Connect to DS2000A to your computer" STAGE

I've checked my Drivers
I"m using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with Service Pack 1

I've checked Device Manager and under "Portable Devices"  DS2072A is listed as having the Driver Successfully installed
and
thus explaining why When i plug in the DSO to USB it will Automatically detect

I Tried Manually installing the Nivisa Package , since i know it has the Drivers in the package

this did not help the issue

I checked the Directory location
{install location}\Temp          since the process did not complete, this location does not contain any error Logs

I checked the Installers Folder and the NiVisa .txt File  there's a lot there
but.. i don't think there are any errors

What do you suggest i do next

i think what you meant by   OP, may have been O.P. = Original Post  (just guessing)

i did go to the Original Post and found a Second Link but that didn't help much either

PS, is there something i'm supposed to do with the Changelog file,  i don't clearly understand what the ChangeLog File is for

i do However understand what the purpose of the Portable Version is .

Awaiting you reply
thanks ahead of time
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »
I am not sure if this will help you.

After the unsuccessful attempt I uninstalled everything National Instruments related.

I didn't have much success with the download from
http://www.filedropper.com/ds2000aupgradeutility1001installer

so I downloaded this one
http://gotroot.ca/rigol/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer.exe

The 1001installer installs the app in C:\Program Files (x86)\DS2000A Upgrade Utility
and installs NI visa540_runtime.exe during the setup procedure.

Then running DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility.exe everything went smoothly.

Just one question though, when you hook up your scope to the PC, you are using the rear
USB-B connector ? On my scope the usb cable connector had to be pushed onto the scope
connector with some force before it was seated properly.

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:57 am »
Hi Kapper Buur

i read your post,
My thoughts are as follows:

1. I agree with you about the filedropper.com link, it's a bit iffy and sometimes works and sometimes doesnt

2. i also Uninstalled Everything related to this entire solution before i installed this Work around solution

3. LOL   i like the fact that you asked the question "Did i connect the PC to the Rear or Front USB of the scope" LOL... no offense taken though, it's cool   this actually never occurred to me,   YES i connected it to the Rear of the Scope as per the instruction Manual,
Besides the Cable that came with the Scope is USB A - USB B
the Rear of the scope is USB B, so  if we think about it,  i actually couldn't plug it into the wrong place anyway, because the computer is USB A

but.. RESPECT goes to you for being thorough in your troubleshooting and assuming that i'm a new who doesn't know Jack LOL   it's all good mate.

on a serious note though.

I'll try the same procedure on my laptop
Maybe, (not sure why it would matter) , but maybe it's because my PC is a 64bit system
i'll do your procedure on my laptop and see what happens and then i'll post my results.

thanks mate
be cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 03:23:54 am »
My system:

Perhaps, for the installer to run properly you may need
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1, Microsoft Silverlight
or some such.

But madcrow would know for sure.

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:06 am »
Interesting...

My System is...
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM, Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 2.8GHz
RAM DDR3  16GB  1333MHz

Net Framework is CONFIRMED to be 4.5.1
Microsoft Silverlight IS installed

further to all this

I have disabled Norton Internet Security , Spyware and Windows Firewall and Defender

in light of the whole executable showing up as a false positive, it stands to reason that antivirus MAY be blocking the detection from the USB Ports

it still didn't work

Anyway, I"m now in the process of Reformatting and Installing Win 7 Pro 32bit on my laptop

I'm that far into the process that it's just easier to go ahead and test it, Just in case.

the O/S is installed
I've just finished installed all Base Drivers

I'm going to get back to it, and see how it goes, i should be able to check back in in about an hour or so and let you all know how i went with it.

by the way
how do i get into contact with madcrow  HE/SHE has disabled their PM

thanks for your patience with me in this matter, i really really appreciate it.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:05 am »
Changelog
Instead of uploading a .txt file you have to download and open before seeing the changelog, I would suggest just posting the changelog in the original post.
Alternatively post the changelong to pastebin instead, so you can view it directly in the browser, and still be able to hit the download button at the top to download it in a .txt file.

Example: http://pastebin.com/0LeULaSE

I would also suggest adding the application name in the top of the changelog document so you can see what program it for.

Before creating a pastebin you can set these options:
Syntax Highlighting:
Paste Expiration: [set time or chose never]
Paste Exposure: [Public/Unlisted/Private]
Paste Name / Title:

There's a link at the bottom named "create a new version of this paste", but remember to enter a "Paste Name / Title:" every time you do that, otherwise the document will be named "Untitled". Including the version number in the document in the "Paste Name / Title:" would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:32:22 am by AndersAnd »

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:20 am »
ok.  SO...

@ Kappes Buur

I've failed to get the Passed the USB recognition stage
with the Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit system

another thing i discovered was that i had the USB cable plugged into a 3.0 Port (not sure if that's relevant or not)

either way

with the New installation of Win 7 Pro OEM 32bit on my laptop
the laptop has a USB 2.0

i did only the following

- Installed the O/S
- Installed only Necessary Drivers for the laptop
- Installed Flash Player 13 Active X
- Installed Shockwave Player 12.1
- Installed Java 7 Update 51

the Applilcation you wrote installed

- Bonjour
-Microsoft NET Framework 4.5.1
- National Instruments Software
- Visa Shared Components

i ran all that, and that only
Same issue  at the stage where the DSO needs to be connected to the USB Port on the computer, it doesn't detect in the software

However, in Device Manger IT DOES SHOW UP as
PORTABLE DEVICES
                                DS2072A
                                F:\
                                G:\

as well as the fact that it always Detects in Windows Automatically

NOTE: this occurs because your application of course, installs the drivers (i didn't install drivers seperately)

after this Failure

i installed Microsoft Silverlight and did the whole thing all over again,

Still no luck

same issue

i then Disabled Windows Firewall and Windows Defender  (the system currently has no other antivirus or malware applications installed.

i then attempted the procedure...
still no luck

i then went to the extreme of adding DS2000A Utility in the menu of

Windows Firewall / Add Another program though the firewall
I'm connected Via Ethernet to my router
the current network is NOT HOMEGROUP and the current network is HOME NETWORK private.
Permissions have been granted to the application and it still doesn't run

Any ideas...

THANKS
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:12 am »
OK... GOT IT

[Let me now contain my excitement Just long enough to explain how i fixed the issue]

SO..
After doing all of the above i got to thinking as follows

- My PC works without issues
- MY PC is 64 bit win 7 but then again, others have had the application work on 64 bit as well
  and.. on top of that, the 64 bit thing shouldn't be a factor anyway.
- after the reformat of the Laptop and retry several times unsuccessfully, i started to think
   that perhaps the download was at fault
   BUT.. That' Can't be right either,  Because others have used the same download and confirmed success of Upgrade

- i Then started to explore the idea that perhaps My RIGOL Supplied USB Cable (USB A - USB B) May be faulty,   but that was sort of dumb, considering that windows Flawlessly recognizes the device.

- i then thought it may be the actual USB B Port on the Scope that may be faulty or Loose
   so, i jiggled the cable around slightly , but then again, it occured to me
   that can't be the case either, because . IT DETECTED IN WINDOWS

- FINALLY WE GET TO THIS POINT
  i decide to have a look through all the options in the scope (Keeping in mind that i'm new to this piece of hardware.

after a bit of fiddling around, ...
I DISCOVERED THE SOLUTION

in UTILITY\IO SETUP\USB DEVICE     it was set to PictBridge
as opposed to AUTO  or   COMPUTER

I SET IT TO  "COMPUTER"
and re ran the software, with all fingers and toes crossed
and YES... SUCCESS

it detected right away

i changed the setting back and was able to duplicate the problem

i then went back to my original PC and was able to duplicate the problem and rectify the problem there as well,

and performed the Upgrade without a Hitch

I'M NOW HAPPY AS A KID IN A CANDY STORE.

guys, i want to sincerely thank everyone for helping me on this

I want to especially thank the following people
- DAVE JONES    For actually creating this super cool forum where you can actually interact with Intelligent people who actually know something, and can actually teach me a thing or two.
And for keeping the Legend of Marty McFly Alive in today's day.

-  CYBERNET,  Mate, thanks a million for reverse engineering this  and saving everyone thousands of dollars in upgrades,  and thanks for doing all this Free of Charge
(i'm the same way , i help people in this way as well, when i can)

- MADCROW - Thankyou to you also mate, for all your effort and development, Your a champion

- KAPPES BUUR - Thanks mate for your patience with me, i appreciate everything

AND LASTLY, I'd like to say this to everyone and extent this offer to anyone on this forum.

At first i just thought EEV Blog was a You Tub thing and a Website,
it wasnt until i started researching this Rigol Scope thing that i discovered that Dave had a Forum

the People one this forum Seem to be pretty cool
I'd like to actively participate and Help

if anyone needs anything from me, and i can help, Please let me know
Especially if you are the above mentioned people that i thanked

Thanks Again guys,
Really Appreciate it
Be Cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 10:34:33 am »
I DISCOVERED THE SOLUTION

in UTILITY\IO SETUP\USB DEVICE     it was set to PictBridge
as opposed to AUTO  or   COMPUTER

I SET IT TO  "COMPUTER"
and re ran the software, with all fingers and toes crossed
and YES... SUCCESS

it detected right away

i changed the setting back and was able to duplicate the problem

i then went back to my original PC and was able to duplicate the problem and rectify the problem there as well,

Does it work on the AUTO setting too? Would be nice to know if it should be included in a user's guide.

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
OK,  i can easily test that for you without the need to reflash the Firmware

give me 5 mins, i'll test all the options for you.

STANDBY....
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:42 am »
Hi Mate

Now.. what i found out was this

When you run the DS2000A Upgrade Utility
and you get past the screen where is loads the Custom Firmware onto USB
and then you required to plug in your DSO, but it doesn't detect

HERE'S THE DEAL

You need to go to UTILITY\USB DEVICE

You have 3 visible Items
Auto Detect
Computer
PictBridge

Now (AT LEAST ON MY SCOPE) it seems that only the last 2 are selectable

I guess (and it is just a guess) that it's always in Auto Detect Mode

I did some further reserach
i downloaded the Manual which is available here
http://www.rigolna.com/download/501G00000001PKXIA2/

and the relevant page is ........ 14-6

it reads as follows:
============================================================
USB Device

This oscilloscope can communicate with PC or PictBridge printer via the USB Device interface at the rear panel. You need to set the oscilloscope to make it match with different device types.

Press Utility - IO Setting - USB Device and use (Intesity Knob) to select the desired device type.

- Computer: in this type, the oscilloscope can communicate with the PC.
- PictBridge: in this type, the oscilloscope can communicate with the PictBridge printer.
===============================================================

Going off that
i would guess to say that the Manufacturer has it in AutoDetect Mode always, but you can force it to Communicate with a Port at will

Mine was in PictBridge Mode when i had the problem
that was most likely as a result of my other Engineer freind who came over the evening and who owns an Old 7 Year old Tektronix Digital Scope

He must have changed the setting without me realizing it.

But.. I'm unable to actually manually select Auto Detect
and i've tried going through the scope to find other relevant settings that may Cause this item to NOT BE GREYED OUT

have not had any luck finding such an item

will continue to tinker with my scope, and if i happen to find a way to do it, i'll post it,
but, going off the manual i'm guessing that won't happen.

Hope this has helped you
let me know if you need any further assistance

BE COOL
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
I'M NOW HAPPY AS A KID IN A CANDY STORE.

Yup, that about describes it.  :)

Well, done with that troubleshooting.

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2014, 03:01:51 pm »
Thanks mate
and Now, after a good nights rest
and Purely for the sake of satisfying my thirst for knowledge

I'm going to go away tomorrow and sit down and make sense of all the relevant bits in this enormous blog
put it down in a Word Doc and have a read through it

Im now going to try to go away and Understand exactly how

CYBERNET
YOURSELF
MADCROW
ZOMBIE

Reverse Engineered all this stuff

i guess that will all be good fun
im sure it'll keep me busy for a few months. LOL

BE Cool Guys  :)
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »
Looks like I am a bit late to the party :)
Nevertheless, I will still try and answer some of your questions which might be relevant for others who are troubleshooting their installation:
  • OP = Original Post. All the links in the first post have been updated. All of them point to the new, 1.0.0.1 versions.
  • Reinstallation / Installing a newer version: I have not written any instructions about this, because I considered it unnecessary. You can just run the installer (which will overwrite your existing installation), or alternatively, you can uninstall your current version, then install the one you wish to use. Both solutions achieve exactly the same result, it makes absolutely no difference which method you choose.
  • Portable version: It is a ZIP archive of the software without an installer and without the prequisites.
  • Prequisites: .Net 4.5 / 4.5.1, Bonjour 3, NI Visa 5.4. That is it. The installer of the Utility installs all of these dependencies by default (unless they - or their newer versions - are already installed). There is nothing else you need to install manually afterwards.
    If installation of one of those prequisites fails, and then you attempt to launch the Utility you should expect the following behaviour, (depending on which dependency is missing):

.Net: The Utility will not start.

NI VISA: You will be greeted by a message box saying the application could not find the VISA runtime. Clicking OK will terminate the application.

Bonjour: In fact, Bonjour is not even a mandatory requirement. The Utility is capable of operating without it. The only restriction you will have if it is not installed is that the Utility won't let you initiate an LXI device discovery in Quick Config mode (i.e. the "LXI search" button will always be grayed out).
  • PM: As far as I know, I am available via PM. In fact I've just PMed myself, to make sure :D (Just press the button below my name). If it really doesn't work please let me know, and I'll try to enable it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:32:17 pm by madcrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2014, 06:10:14 pm »
You need to go to UTILITY\USB DEVICE

You have 3 visible Items
Auto Detect
Computer
PictBridge

Now (AT LEAST ON MY SCOPE) it seems that only the last 2 are selectable

I checked on my DS2072A, (FW#00.02.01.00.03), and I experienced the same thing: the "Auto Detect" option is always grayed out. I could not find a way to enable it either :S

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »
Alternatively post the changelong to pastebin instead, so you can view it directly in the browser, and still be able to hit the download button at the top to download it in a .txt file.
Hey AndersAnd,

Thanks a lot for your great pastebin tutorial! I will definitely take your advice.
TBH, wanted to use a solution exactly like the one you've just showed me. But I did not know which hosting site can achieve this, so I just went with filedropper instead.

I replaced the link in the OP with the one you created.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:34:57 pm by madcrow »

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:15 am »

@madcrow
Just tried sending you a PM, check if you got it.

it was weird because
this time it said it was sent successfully

2 days ago it said something like you have block PM's or something to that effect

i guess it works now
anyway, check your inbox just in case to confirm.
be cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »
Hey AndersAnd,

Thanks a lot for your great pastebin tutorial! I will definitely take your advice.
TBH, wanted to use a solution exactly like the one you've just showed me. But I did not know which hosting site can achieve this, so I just went with filedropper instead.

I replaced the link in the OP with the one you created.
Forgot to tell you, if you sign up and log into PasteBin you can edit or delete anything you paste. This way you can update the changelog for new versions and then you don't have to edit the link in the OP every time. You can also pate as a guest, but then you can't edit or delete anything you paste, so it's esier if you log in first.

Offline Phil_Tech

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2014, 04:17:38 am »
Hi and thanks for the upgrade utility - it is very well presented.

My installation is also stuck at the "Connect the DS2000A to your computer" stage.

I have a DS2072, SW version was 00.01.00, now 00.02.01 after running upgrade, serial DS2A....
- the CRO is configured for USB Device=computer
PC is Windows 7 64, no service pack
When I plug connect the CRO to my PC via USB - it shows up in device manager as:
-USB Test and Measurement Devices
--USB Test and Measurement Device (IVI)

I was originally running the portable version of the Upgrade Utility, I subsequently tried the Installer version - same problem not detecting the USB.
Also tried uninstalling & reinstalling the NI visa520runtime

Any suggestions?
regards, Phil (Melbourne Vic)

Offline Phil_Tech

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:30 am »
UPDATE - as a very helpful contributor advised me via PM (thanks Teneyes), mine is not a DS2072A, just DS2072.
Is there an upgrade utility for this model as well?

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2014, 07:57:28 am »
mine is not a DS2072A, just DS2072. Is there an upgrade utility for this model as well?
Yes, it's all explained in this very long topic: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:49 am »
UPDATE - as a very helpful contributor advised me via PM (thanks Teneyes), mine is not a DS2072A, just DS2072.
Is there an upgrade utility for this model as well?

Hey Phil,

Teneyes was correct: The Utility was designed to work with DS2000A DSOs. So unfortunately you cannot use it to upgrade your device.
But on the bright side, the upgrade process of non-A DS2000 units is much simpler, there is even an online Keygen for them!
http://riglol.3owl.com/

Cheers,
Madcrow
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:01:30 am by madcrow »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:40 am »
Since this tool is for people who don't know much about how it works, it should probably also detect that it is the A version or not and if not skip many steps or just show a link and stop.
Because evidently some people think the A suffix doesn't matter.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 08:03:52 am »
madcrow maybe you should add a disclaimer to the first post telling this is for 2000A only and not DS2000 and add a link to www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus and maybe the keygen too.

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2014, 08:14:13 am »
madcrow maybe you should add a disclaimer to the first post telling this is for 2000A only and not DS2000 and add a link to www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus and maybe the keygen too.

Good idea! I have updated the first post.

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
Hi madcrow,

i can´t download your updatet sourcefiles  "Here is the source, binary and changelog of the updated "rigup" tool I am using in the Utility, in case any of the open-source fans are interested" !

Could you please check the link or put them onto an other fileserver?

Thanks a lot to you for your work on the Upgrade Utility.

Karsten

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:19 pm »
Hi madcrow,

i can´t download your updatet sourcefiles  "Here is the source, binary and changelog of the updated "rigup" tool I am using in the Utility, in case any of the open-source fans are interested" !

Could you please check the link or put them onto an other fileserver?

Thanks a lot to you for your work on the Upgrade Utility.

Karsten

Sure. Here you go:
http://www.filedropper.com/rigup-04

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »
Thanks,
that download works!

P.S. writes the Upgrade Utility my private/public key into a textfile?

Karsten

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2014, 07:41:31 pm »
Thanks,
that download works!

P.S. writes the Upgrade Utility my private/public key into a textfile?

Karsten

It does, when you attempt to install a custom option code in Quick configuration mode:

In that case, a file called "Keyset.txt" will be created in [DS2000A Upgrade Utility Install Dir]\Temp\
This file is actually generated by the rigup tool, and contains your RC5KEY1, RC5KEY2, XXTEAKEY, PUBKEY and PRIVKEY.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:27:40 am by madcrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:19 am »
Hello guys,

It's been a month since I last needed to patch the Utility. I think we can consider it pretty stable now.
So, as promised before, I will make it open-source and let the great community of EEVblog take over the development.

The sources are available as a .zip archive in the first post. Feel free to upload them to Github if you want.

I hope you will have fun making the Utility nicer and better :)

Cheers,
Madcrow

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:44:01 pm by madcrow »

Offline navzptc

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have just tried this on my new DS2202A, and it has worked fine giving me all the 'options'  :)  but will not let me upgrade to 300Mhz  :'(

I even tried installing as per the PDF guide to no joy - The units just not accepting the code!

I have seen another message on here from someone else with the same problem (Can't find the message now!) - Just wondering if anyone had any ideas???

Andy

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2014, 01:50:02 am »
just ran this against my new ds2072a, everything worked, shows up as DS2302A, all options enabled. shipped with firmware 00.02.xx, upgraded to 00.03.xx.

two thumbs up!
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline johnlondon

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:04 am »
I've just tried this with my DS2072A running 00.03.00.SP1 and I got no flashing lights after inserting the USB stick, nothing at all.  The DSO won't boot up at all now, it just starts with a Rigol logo (no progress bar on boot at all).  Any ideas as to how I can unblock it please?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:00 am »
I've just tried this with my DS2072A running 00.03.00.SP1 and I got no flashing lights after inserting the USB stick, nothing at all.  The DSO won't boot up at all now, it just starts with a Rigol logo (no progress bar on boot at all).  Any ideas as to how I can unblock it please?

Just reload FW v.2 at bootup.

Offline johnlondon

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:51 pm »
Fixed the issue with the bricked DS2072A.  It involved reflashing it with the latest firmware (from this site) as you suggested, then attempting it again.  All good now.  Thank you for my new scope :-)

Offline rmawatson

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »
Many thanks. Just bought a 2072A after finding out about the ability to upgrade to 300mhz.

Worked like a charm. all options enabled. Screen shots attached for others reference of FW/SW versions.

One note about the (extremely nice and helpful) UI. On the page where it says "when channel 1 stops flashing.." this should say, you might have to wait a few minutes.
It was long enough that I thought i'd potentially got a new door stop :)

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:34:07 pm by rmawatson »

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2014, 10:33:22 pm »
This is excellent info! Thanks guys!

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 02:31:45 am »
Just a suggestion.  Maybe add the ability to install custom codes without uninstalling options.  See this post for why:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/msg468951/#msg468951

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:06 am »
Hi all,

I just bought a new MSO2072, any chance I can get this upgrade to work on my new toy as well?

Best Regards,
Marcel

----------------------------------------------------------
Electronics is fun!
... But if you want me to take it seriously,
... Call, and we'll talk consultancy rates...
--------------------------------------------
Electronics is FUN !
If you want me to take it seriously,
... Call, and we'll talk consultancy rates ...

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2014, 04:36:19 am »
Thank you to all contributors.
My brand new DS2072A is now a 'EEVblog upgraded DS2202A' with all options...
Very happy!

I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline loiphin

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2014, 09:13:48 am »
And with a wave of the wand, my one day old DS2072A transformed from an ugly toad into a prince wearing a t-shirt that says "300MHz"
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2014, 02:32:58 pm »
Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I am trying to upgrade my brand new DS2072A to 300MHz.
I have installed this utility, but I get stuck because the boot loader doesn't load the modified .GEL file.
The USB stick seems to be good, I have saved a picture on it just fine.

After pressing the Power-up and Help buttons in sequence very fast and inserting the USB stick, instead of getting the Ch1 LED blinking, the boot loader jumps to lighting all the LEDs, as it was all finished.
The only .GEL file that gets loaded ok with this procedure is the latest file from the site, which is version 03.00.01.03.
My scope's  FW version is 00.03.00.SP1.

I have read that the FW could be downgraded to v2.0 first, but I have no idea if this is the solution to my problem (or which .GEL file to use for this operation).
Could you please help me with this?
Thank you very much.

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2014, 06:23:56 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my brand new DS2072A to 300MHz.
I have installed this utility, but I get stuck because the boot loader doesn't load the modified .GEL file.
The USB stick seems to be good, I have saved a picture on it just fine.

After pressing the Power-up and Help buttons in sequence very fast and inserting the USB stick, instead of getting the Ch1 LED blinking, the boot loader jumps to lighting all the LEDs, as it was all finished.
The only .GEL file that gets loaded ok with this procedure is the latest file from the site, which is version 03.00.01.03.
My scope's  FW version is 00.03.00.SP1.

I have read that the FW could be downgraded to v2.0 first, but I have no idea if this is the solution to my problem (or which .GEL file to use for this operation).
Could you please help me with this?
Thank you very much.

Maybe the .GEL file you'd put on the USB stick is corrupted. Just re-download it then try again.

Cheers.

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »
Thank you for your reply.
I have tried with all .GEl files, the only one working is the latest firmware v3.
Looking at the FPGA version, I see that the MCU version is 00.06, which is newer than what others reported that works.

I don't know, but this could be the problem, that RIGOL has upgraded and patched it with the latest release.
If this is the case, what is the solution?

Regards and thank you.

Offline n40

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:49 am »
I just wanted to second what adi101 said. I have just received a new DS2072A with the latest firmware installed - 00.03.00.01.03 (installed at the factory) and I cannot seem to load any of the firmwares available on http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/.

I have tried the license key dump version, the non-A license key version, even the stock standard version 02.01.00.03 and the scope doesn't seem to load any of them. I have used 5 different USB keys just to be certain that it is none of those as well.

Is it possible that Rigol have patched the latest firmware/bootloader to no longer allow downgrades?

Thanks.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:19 am »
For the New owners of DS2072A, to help clarify.
Are there Trial options on these latest purchased DS2000?

Do you observe that after pressing help on boot-up :
    1: That all LEDs go off and ONLY the "SINGLE"  is ON
    2: then when the USB stick is inserted the active led on the USB stick flashes? at least once
    3: if the USB stick Flashes only once and NO 'CH 1" flashing , try removing and re-insert.

Try Small 4GB Stick works Best, make sure only a few files,
for me I use 2 files  DS2000Update.GEL  and DS2000Update_00.03.00.00.00.GEL   in order to tell which FW is on each Stick
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:34:37 pm by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline AintBigAintClever

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:11 am »
I found (using a 32MB - yes, 32 MEGAbyte - MMC card in an SD-USB adapter) that the following would happen:-
1) Press help on bootup: SINGLE light lit
2) Plug in USB adapter with MMC card: nothing
3) Unplug USB adapter and plug it back in again: indicator on reader lights up, card starts reading, everything goes to plan.

Offline n40

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 08:07:25 am »
Teneyes,

To answer your questions:
Yes there are trials enabled - I will take a shot and send it if you need that. Just let me know.
1. Yes I have done that. Only the "single" light is lit.
2. Just like adi101 said, as soon as you insert a USB (containing only the DS2000Update.GEL) the CH1 lights for just a moment (not what I'd call flashing) and then ALL of the other lights are lit solid.
3. I have tried re-inserting the USB stick and I have tried numerous different keys. No change in the symptoms. I have also left the key inserted for a "long time" (5-10mins). Again no change. I have retried the sequence 10+ times. No change.

I have tried 7 different keys now from really old 1GB devices, several 4GB and a couple modern 8GB devices. I have tested all of these USB keys using the file browser in the "storage" menu with the scope booted normally and all of the USB's seem to work fine, but I have not been able to install the older firmware's from any of them using the "help" bootloader technique.

I am keen to try out anything that you might need to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »
Looks like the FileDropper links have stopped working.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:39 am »

For the New owners of DS2072A, to help carify.
Are there Trial options on these latest purchased DS2000?

Do you observe that after pressing help on boot-up :
    1: That all LEDs go off and ONLY the "SINGLE"  is ON
    2: then when the USB stick is inserted the active led on the USB stick flashes? at least once
    3: if the USB stick Flashes only once and NO 'CH 1" flashing , try removing and re-insert.

Another new DS2072A here.

Trial options are there, 12 in total.
Software version 00.03.00.SP1
Hardware version 2.0

After pressing Help on boot:
All lights off except "Single" and "Power"
On inserting USB stick:
CH 1 light illuminates and about half a second later the other lights illuminate.
CH 1 light does NOT flash.

On continuing with the upgrade utility the next step produces an error and the error log reads

2:55:26 PM Thursday, 10 July 2014

Code length not appropriate: 12

Code: 00.03.00.SP1

Tried with two different USB sticks and both FAT 16 and FAT 32 format. Also checked the sticks can be written to by the 'scope.

Any Ideas?

John

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:21 am »
Hey Guys,

just wanted to let you know that my MSO2072A (running the very latest firmware version 00.03.00.SP1) has been successfully upgraded to 300MHz with all options.
Thanks Tirulerbach and many others!  :-+

(Although a firmware downgrade does not seem to work, using rigup on the memory dump did the trick)

Regards,
Marcel
Electronics is FUN !

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2014, 12:26:40 pm »
...just wanted to let you know that my MSO2072A (running the very latest firmware version 00.03.00.SP1) has been successfully upgraded to 300MHz with all options.

This is great news! It means there is still hope.  :)
Could you give a short step by step guide of how you did it?
I am ready to go looking for a JTAG debugger for this.

Thanks!

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »
Short step-by-step guide:

- Order the Olimex ARM-USB-OCD JTAG USB interface
- download / install the bfin toolchain (see the famous post on page 163 of the megathread)
- use the MSO's own probe wires (the loose patch wires for the logic probes) to connect the Blackfin's JTAG bus to the OLIMEX interface
(TDI, TDO, TMS, TRST, GND); I didn't bother with the resistor pullups
- Take 3v3 from the SPI connector instead of the JTAG one
- memdump the SDRAM as per the Tirulerbach instructions
- use rigup tool on this memdump

The result is a set of option keys, that can be entered via the scope's front panel
(or, apparently, via Ultra Sigma, I didn't bother with that ...)

So, in short, using the JTAG memdump route, no need to downgrade firmware (which might brick the MSO)

As far as I'm aware, this is the only way to enable the extra features on the latest non-downgradeable MSO's

JTAG interface => sdram memdump => rigup0.1 => enter keys

Good luck!
Marcel
Electronics is FUN !

Offline bnred777

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »
That's great news... just bought my jtag interface today. Could you point me in the right direction to the rigup tool? I'm guessing that it might be hanging out in here: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/ but which version did you use or am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Thanks,
Brandon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 09:03:55 pm »
They're quite small so you may as well download all of them :)

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 11:15:44 pm »
I used rigup 0.1 but only because I didn't realise there was a newer version.
I would guess that version 0.4 will work (at least) as well...

One thing I did notice: on MY installation of the bfin toolchain (I used xubuntu in a VirtualBox)
The mem info command returned some error about missing XML support.
I just skipped that step, and did just a binary memdump of 0x00000000 to 0x07ffffff
Took about 45 minutes, then copied the resulting .bin file into my rigup directory (on the Windows machine)
1 second later I had my 28 character keys....

Good luck, and Happy Upgrading!
Electronics is FUN !

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »
Thanks MarcelM. I've ordered the Olimex ARM-USB-OCD JTAG USB from a local sparkfun  distributer.
I'll see what I can do when it arrives.

John

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2014, 09:36:59 am »
I've just bought an DS2072A , and this upgrade utility looks awesome.
I'm obviously worried about bricking my scope however.
Has anybody tried this on scopes with firmware version 00.03.00.SP1  , Hardware version 2.0
I did a search and I see someone could not get it to work with V3. something , can't remember which exactly.
Cheers
Neddie

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:09 am »
I've just bought an DS2072A , and this upgrade utility looks awesome.
I'm obviously worried about bricking my scope however.
Has anybody tried this on scopes with firmware version 00.03.00.SP1  , Hardware version 2.0
I did a search and I see someone could not get it to work with V3. something , can't remember which exactly.
Cheers
Neddie

I posted about 8 back in this thread that I couldn't get mine to work as it wouldn't accept the downgrade. It appears there is a way but it means opening the case and dumping the memory, it's mentioned a few posts back.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »
Hi , didn't see that.
I just took a chance and tried it. WORKED!!
Now have 300MHz bandwidth , all options enabled. Followed the application instructions , no problem.
Was a bit nerve racking I must admit :0)
All hail software writer guy!!!  :-DD (MADCROW)
Cheers
Neddie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:55:42 pm by Neddie »

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »
Hi , didn't see that.
I just took a chance and tried it. WORKED!!
Now have 300MHz bandwidth , all options enabled. Followed the application instructions , no problem.
Was a bit nerve racking I must admit :0)
All hail software writer guy!!!  :-DD (MADCROW)
Cheers
Neddie

Did yours read the usb stick and install the modded software? If so, what size and make usb stick did you use?

John

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2014, 08:17:11 am »
Hi John.
It's a crappy old 64Mb (yes that is an M) stick I got at a conference a few years ago with the course material on it.
I initially tried using a 16Gig stick to save some waveforms , but this failed. It detects the stick , but when trying to save a waveform it fails. Then I tried this old stick and it saved fine , so I used this in the upgrade.It worked flawlessly.
It uploaded the modified firmware as expected. It did take quite a few minutes but it worked.
Cheers
Neddie

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2014, 08:35:47 am »
I have some old 512M ( yes less than 1GB) SD cards that I bought new for $1 each. Used for old cameras that cannot understand higher spec SD cards. I also keep some 1G flash drives for the same reason.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
Another quick question. Now that  I have "cracked" the scope and it's now a DS2302A , if I want to do an upgrade
of the firmware , I assume I must get DS2302A firmware from the website.
And will this work?

Cheers
Neddie

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2014, 12:14:12 am »
, I assume I must get DS2302A firmware from the website.
I think the Firmware is the same for all DS2000 & MSO2000 devices (A,-S )

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2014, 01:38:13 am »
I'm glad it worked for you Neddie. I've tried a few different sticks here, both usb 1 and 2. It can save screen pics to them but it won't accept the modded firmware off them. I even tried an old 512 MB card in a reader, it wouldn't have a bar of that one.

Looks like I'll have to go the FPGA dump way.

Somewhere here people have mentioned 4000 min trial time on the options. Mine were at  2148 min when I first turned it on.

John

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2014, 04:36:09 am »
Mine were at  2148 min when I first turned it on.
Trial options set to start with 2160 minutes, see post from 1 year ago
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/msg240616/#msg240616
( & next few posts )

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:14 am »
Out of interest what upgrade utility did you use. I've got "DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer".
Maybe you have a different version?

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »
Out of interest what upgrade utility did you use. I've got "DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer".
Maybe you have a different version?

The same one

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:03 am »
Anyone got any thoughts on a previous post of mine.
Now that I have "hacked" the scope is it still possible to do a firmware upgrade
to the latest version to fix the i2c decoding issue?
Or will the "revert" the scope back to a DS2072A with limited options?
Cheers
Neddie

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »
Hello together,

my Name is Willi and I just bought a new DS2072A
My question:
Is it possible to save the original "Status" (Firmware, Options, Settings...)?
That I can bring the DS2072A back to the original Status if it is necessary!
(In case of Garanty)
Thanks for your answer.
(Excuse my bad English)

Regards
Willi

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2014, 07:15:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure the upgrade utility will do that for you.

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
Did you or anybody tried that?

Willi

Offline bnred777

« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I finally got my scope! Now it's time to hack it! lol... I tired to use the ds2000a upgrade utility but when it got to the part where you plugin the scope to the computer it doesn't find the DSO. I have read the forms and tried several things, including a different computer.  I downloaded the new NI Visa software just for fun and I uninstalled the upgrade utility then loaded the new Visa software for the driver, re-installed the upgrade utility and still no luck. I also made sure that the DSO was set to computer mode in utilities but I tried picbridge just for the heck of it... My software version was 2.01 before and after the loading the file from the usb stick as instructed by the program. Also, my hardware rev is 2.0. Any ideas? I did read one fourm that said to use the front USB port of the scope and set the mode to picbridge... does this sound right? The reason I haven't tried it yet is because I don't have the cable but if you guys/gals think it will work I'll buy or make one. Also, I would like to have the latest firmware version, could someone let me know what the best way of getting the latest rev and having all the options/300mhz still enabled? Just for some more info, I do have a ARM JTAG debugger (Olimex) that I could use to do it the hard way but I'm always up for the easy way first!

Thanks!

Offline bnred777

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49:01 pm »
Hey, sorry about that. I was using USB (Rear port of the DSO). Wasn't aware you could use LAN. I have to run to town for a little while but I'll read the forum you linked to when I get back. Thanks for the reply!

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2014, 06:01:55 pm »
For your software version I think the utility should work.

There is always the old way of getting a memory dump:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/msg365951/#msg365951

then use the rigup 0.4 utility for getting the key:
http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/
By the way, here you can also find the latest firmware version, which can be loaded via USB stick and the bootloader.

Then enter the key directly on the scope via Utility>Options>Setup>Editor ON.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:04:22 pm by adi101 »

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
If I upgrade the firmware to 00.03. 01.03 after the scope has been hacked (currently showing 00.02.01) , will it revert
back to the unhacked version with limited options (Ds2072A) or will the hack remain , just firmware newer?
Trying to overcome protocol decoding bug , but keep hack!!
Cheers
Neddie

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2014, 04:41:50 pm »
 :-[

same problem here. Received a new MSO2102A with 00.03.000 SP1 and unable to let it be seen with PC USB, I used more than one key memory, one 4G, one old 128M, one 1G but seems not reading the "upgrade".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:48:22 am by conte_vlad »

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2014, 03:11:55 am »
Many thanks. Just bought a 2072A after finding out about the ability to upgrade to 300mhz.

Worked like a charm. all options enabled. Screen shots attached for others reference of FW/SW versions.

One note about the (extremely nice and helpful) UI. On the page where it says "when channel 1 stops flashing.." this should say, you might have to wait a few minutes.
It was long enough that I thought i'd potentially got a new door stop :)

Thanks again!

I wonder how you did it, non working to me with same FW. Happy you solved

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:21 am »
Has any recent DS2000A owner tried to load FW 00.03.00.00.00   on   FW  00.03.00.01.03 ?
worth a try?
See: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/   for FW in '.7z' zip flie

I'll give it a run and see what happens

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:58 am »
Has any recent DS2000A owner tried to load FW 00.03.00.00.00   on   FW  00.03.00.01.03 ?
worth a try?
See: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/   for FW in '.7z' zip flie

I'll give it a run and see what happens

That didn't help, didn't load.

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2014, 06:30:04 pm »
Hello,
I have just received my new DS2072A with the factory installed firmware:  00.02.00   (Hardware Version 2.0)
Where can I find the original firmware? (unchanged)   I would like to have it before I use the Upgrade Utillity (in case of warranty).

Many thanks for help

Willi
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:29:14 pm by Willi100 »

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »
Don't know what you mean by "original"  firmware , but you can find various version here.
For a new scope your version seems pretty old.

http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2014, 10:02:11 pm »
I didn't read the last post properly  :-[
Hardware version 2 is current. what software version do you have?
Neddie

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2014, 10:25:58 pm »
Hi Neddie,

I have:
Software version: 00.02.00  (date: 21-Dec-2013)
I'm looking for a unmodified version. In case of warranty...
I think the firmware on (www.gotroot.ca/rigol/) is pached for the Upgrade Utility

Willi

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2014, 12:19:51 am »
He,
I found the full firmware version info:

Willi

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2014, 12:46:39 am »
Does anyone know what the latest/current firmware is for these?

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2014, 07:31:50 am »
The latest version is "03.00.01.03"
It's on the site mentioned above. I'm pretty sure that is NOT a patched version , but the official version.
Neddie

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2014, 03:22:48 pm »
A question to the specialists:
Is a calibration (Self-Cal) necessary after the upgrade  from 70 MHz to 300 MHz?

Regards
Willi

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:53 pm »
A question to the specialists:
Is a calibration (Self-Cal) necessary after the upgrade  from 70 MHz to 300 MHz?
I have not seen a change in calibration when options are installed/uninstalled,

BUT I have seen a change in Cali. when changing FW from 00.03 to 00.02...
Then when I returned to FW 00.03... Cali. was Ok,(not lost) from the start at FW 00.03...

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »
I had to re-calibrate after the upgrade.
Neddie

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:19 am »
Hello,
I did the full upgrade and it worked fine. (Software before: 00.02.00 - after: 00.02.01)
But I lost the accurate voltage measurement.
Before upgrade I checked the RMS voltage precision at different frequencies.

Example:
Test Signal: 1 MHz Sinus with 0dBm = 224mV RMS
Measured with: Boonton RF- Millivoltmeter 92E = 224mV RMS
Measured with: DS2072A before upgrade = 224mV RMS (@500ns)
Measured with: DS2072A after upgrade = 227mV RMS (@500ns)
Than I let run a Self Calibration. After that I measured : 233mV RMS
The calibration did not help. The calibration makes it worse.  :(

Test gear:
Signal Generator IFR2023B
TRUE RMS  RF Level Meter RACAL DANA 9303
BOONTON RF Millivoltmeter 92E

Willi

Offline Willi100

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:43 am »
Hello,
here the Frequency Response: DS2072A (Hardware version:2.0)  70MHz and upgrade to 300 MHz.
(Measured with 50 Ohm termination)

I measured RMS level at 18 frequency points with my True RMS Level Meter and with the Oscilloscope by hand.
For calculation and graphic I used Excel.

Willi

Used test gear:
Signal Generator IFR2023B
TRUE RMS  RF Level Meter RACAL DANA 9303
BOONTON RF Millivoltmeter 92E
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:42:32 am by Willi100 »

Offline QuantumPhys

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2014, 03:47:44 am »
Teneyes,

To answer your questions:
Yes there are trials enabled - I will take a shot and send it if you need that. Just let me know.
1. Yes I have done that. Only the "single" light is lit.
2. Just like adi101 said, as soon as you insert a USB (containing only the DS2000Update.GEL) the CH1 lights for just a moment (not what I'd call flashing) and then ALL of the other lights are lit solid.
3. I have tried re-inserting the USB stick and I have tried numerous different keys. No change in the symptoms. I have also left the key inserted for a "long time" (5-10mins). Again no change. I have retried the sequence 10+ times. No change.

I have tried 7 different keys now from really old 1GB devices, several 4GB and a couple modern 8GB devices. I have tested all of these USB keys using the file browser in the "storage" menu with the scope booted normally and all of the USB's seem to work fine, but I have not been able to install the older firmware's from any of them using the "help" bootloader technique.

I am keen to try out anything that you might need to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I too am having the exact same issue with all the lights lighting up and no reaction afterwards when I plug in the USB stick. I am using 00.03.00.SP1 (factory installed). Is there any solution to this problem yet?
Admittance Parameters of my GPA?!
Test gear-Tek 2445B, Tek 2715, Tek 491 Microwave Spectrum Analyzer, Keithley 5 1/2 digit meter, Agilent U1272A, DS1052E, HP Power Supply, Makergear 3D Printer, My eyes and nose

Offline airs

« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2014, 05:46:40 pm »
Just tried this utility and it worked perfectly the first time. One thing to note is you need to be patient when CH1 is flashing - the FW update took quite a while for me (5 minutes?)

Btw, my unit came with Software: 00.03.00.SP1 and Hardware: 2.0

I used a 8GB USB 2.0 Kingston Data Traveler stick, formatted as FAT32 with Default Allocation Size. It had nothing on it other than the .GEL file.

Thank you so much for this!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:04:59 pm by airs »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2014, 12:04:55 pm »
I need the I2C/SPI protocol analysis function.  I was considering buying a DS2072A and doing this upgrade but I can see a lot of hits on the Internet saying there are decode bugs with SPI/I2C/UART on Rigol scopes.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this problem or point me to more info?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2014, 01:57:04 pm »
I need the I2C/SPI protocol analysis function.  I was considering buying a DS2072A and doing this upgrade but I can see a lot of hits on the Internet saying there are decode bugs with SPI/I2C/UART on Rigol scopes.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this problem or point me to more info?

I've used the I2C protocol decoding regularly with no problems (I can't speak about the SPI or UART since I haven't used them). It's certainly not a full-featured logic analyzer (but neither is any MSO I've tried), but it does what it says it does - and with the latest FW, it finally does protocol decoding on recorded segments too.

And I wouldn't lump all Rigol scopes together - from what I understand (at the moment), except for the protocols which normally really require more than 2 channels, the protocol decoding is best implemented on the DS2000 series.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »
We did find a bug in RS 232 decoding (was using 56000 instead of 56kb= 57600), but that was corrected.  I also tested  the CAN protocol decode to be good. And decoding of recorded data was corrected in FW 00.03...... .

Offline JAmerican

« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »
Just tried this utility and it worked perfectly the first time. One thing to note is you need to be patient when CH1 is flashing - the FW update took quite a while for me (5 minutes?)

Btw, my unit came with Software: 00.03.00.SP1 and Hardware: 2.0

I used a 8GB USB 2.0 Kingston Data Traveler stick, formatted as FAT32 with Default Allocation Size. It had nothing on it other than the .GEL file.

Thank you so much for this!!

I agree with you. I just received mine end of July 2014 and it had 00.03.00.SP1 on it. I thought I would be banned from using the utility. I used the utility and flashed the custom firmware as per the instructions. It took a few minutes and when it was done, some of the lights turned on.

I used a 2GB USB stick with the FAT32 format and Default Allocation Size (named the volume DSO). I had taken a screenshot from the Rigol before flashing it to see if it would save to the USB stick before using it to flash the firmware.

After the flash to the custom firmware, I had version 00.02.00. I was able to unlock all options and get 300MHz using the utility. Once I was done, I went back to my original 00.03.00.SP1 firmware.

Some people mentioned that their measurements were out of calibration. I had this issue when I downgraded with the custom firmware but once I returned to my original firmware, my scope's voltage offset issues  were fixed. I think the issue was that people were testing in the firmware that they downgraded to. You need to return to the firmware you originally had on your scope and then test from there.

I did not self-calibrate during this whole process.

I'm very happy with the results.  :-+ :clap:

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2014, 03:49:54 am »
 :-+ very good. What hardware version has your scope? 2.0 or 2.2? let us know :) (it is displayed on scope just after firmware version)

Offline JAmerican

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2014, 09:51:57 pm »
:-+ very good. What hardware version has your scope? 2.0 or 2.2? let us know :) (it is displayed on scope just after firmware version)

I have HW ver. 2.0. Didn't know there was a 2.2 version.

Offline Quark

« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2014, 01:43:16 am »
I'd like to report another successful upgrade using the utility.

Model: DS2072A (arrived today)
SW: 00.03.00.SP1 (00.03.00.01.03)
HW: 2.0 (1.0.2.0.2)

Used the portable version since I had all dependencies already installed.
Made sure USB and flash drive worked beforehand by taking screen snapshots of above info.
Re-flashed the original FW at the end of the process.

All went without a hitch.
Many thanks to all involved!!  :clap:

Offline BER546

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2014, 06:06:11 am »
Thanks for the sharing !
Very helpful!

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:47 am »
I'd like to report another successful upgrade using the utility.

Model: DS2072A (arrived today)
SW: 00.03.00.SP1 (00.03.00.01.03)
HW: 2.0 (1.0.2.0.2)

It seems, people report successful upgrade using the utility only if HW version is 2.0 and not 2.2.
For HW 2.2, JTAG way works.
SW version is  00.03.00.SP1 in both cases.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »
I'm going to attempt the JTAG route on my new MSO2072A, the fleaBay e-cheapo $6 'Altera USB Blaster' JTAG interface that I ordered Aug 5th is now marked as 'Out for Delivery' via the USPS tracking system; ordered from a vendor claiming to be shipping from Colorado but now I'm wondering if there's a place called Colorado in China?

I have a Dell Netbook that has Ubuntu installed so I'm going to try that first.

Wish me luck  :D

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 08:37:28 pm »

Hi,
i plan to buy a DS2072A in Germany, work the Upgrade Ulility with the Hardware 2.2 Version too?
When i order the DSO, come the Hardwareversion 2.0 or 2.2?
many thanks for info's.

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2014, 08:47:37 pm »

Hi,
i plan to buy a DS2072A in Germany, work the Upgrade Ulility with the Hardware 2.2 Version too?
When i order the DSO, come the Hardwareversion 2.0 or 2.2?
many thanks for info's.

Yes, there are people reporting success on SW 3.0.SP1 and HW 2.2. My scope was bought in July 2014, it is MSO and has HW 2.2.
Do you mean MSO ?

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:29 am »
Hello PepeK,

i mean the DS2072A , and if it is the HW Version 2.2, have you a complete howTo to make the full-Update?
I am not so fit in this stuff and before i buy the DS2072A, i will have all infos to make the hack.

best regarts.

Offline 213pye

« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »
Last week i got my ds2072a. SW .3,.SP1 HW 2.0.
No problems with the upgrade utility!! 20 mintes and it has 300Mhz and all option free!.
* Gekauft beim großen blauen "C" *

Offline Dorfteich

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
I've been battling the JTAG dump route for 2 or 3 weeks now.  Quick question, will this work for MSO2072A?  Has anyone tried yet?

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »

When i put the stick in normal DSO Modus with the same Firmware, will i see this
in the picture. It's the FW older, i see not this text in the scope.
Any ideas?

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »
When i put the stick in normal DSO Modus with the same Firmware, will i see this
in the picture. It's the FW older, i see not this text in the scope.
Any ideas?

It means, the scope recognizes the GEL file's version info. Of course, you have the latest and it is why you see that message. All newly manufactured scopes are protected against a firmware downgrade, it is why you see nothing (as hacking GEL files is version 2.0).

It is time to JTAG dump ...

Offline RLSprouse

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2014, 07:56:35 pm »
Hi all:

Brand new at scopes, just received my DS2072A-S.  I'm very interested in this upgrade but a bit scared.  My unit arrived with Firmware 00.02.01.00.03 installed, and from this thread I get the feeling I should be glad it does not have the newer version.  I have a few questions.

1. Since mine is the -S version, does this present any difficulties?  I imagine the firmware is the same but I'd like to know if anyone has done this with the -S version successfully.

2. I am running on an iMac 27" system.  I do have Parallels installed and can run Windows 8.  Any reason this won't work?  I do have an old PC I could resort to, but haven't fired it up in about a year.

3. Is there anything illegal about this?  I don't recall approving any user licenses when I started up my scope, but I'm curious about the legalities.

Thanks for any encouragement you all can offer.

Edited to add:

OK, I got brave and gave it a try...  everything seemed to work fine, up to the point where you plug the scope into the computer.  The scope does not show up on the select screen.  And yes, I did make sure USB Devices is set to "Computer" on the scope's Utility menu.

I feel like I am so close, yet so far...  Any ideas, anyone?

Second update:  I fired up my old PC and tried the update there.  Again, the update utility does not see the scope when I plug it in.  Please help!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:28:20 am by RLSprouse »

Offline RLSprouse

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
BTO, in his "Short Post" suggested plugging the scope into the computer using the FRONT USB port on the scope...  but, is that possible?  It is a USB - A port, and all the USB cables I have are USB - A to USB - B.  Can I get an A-A USB cable, and will that work?

~ Russ 

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »
Second update:  I fired up my old PC and tried the update there.  Again, the update utility does not see the scope when I plug it in.  Please help!

You can connect either through the USB port on the back of the scope or via the Ethernet port connected to a network.

Did you install the National Instruments IVI/VISA driver?
Are you able to see the scope with the Rigol Ultra Sigma utility?

Offline RLSprouse

• Contributor
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2014, 01:11:02 am »
I tried plugging the scope into my LAN via the Ethernet port but the update utility still does not see it.

I believe the utility did install the VISA driver

I don't know anything about the Ultra Sigma utility...  where do I get that?

~ Russ 

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2014, 01:28:52 am »
I don't know anything about the Ultra Sigma utility...  where do I get that?

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/mso2000a/

Select "Software" tab.

Offline RLSprouse

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2014, 01:32:06 am »
OK, I found the UltraSigma thing on the Rigol site, and I was able to install it and run it.  It appears it is able to see my scope, though I have no idea what to do with it, but at least the scope is inline and apparently recognized.

So, for some reason, the utility seems to be having a problem seeing my scope in spite of it being properly connected.

Any more ideas?

~ Russ 

Offline RLSprouse

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2014, 03:19:16 pm »
I was finally able to unlock my DS2072A-S, using a hybrid approach.  The utility refused to recognize my scope when I plugged it into the USB port, so I completed the rest of the process manually, using the guide found here:

http://gotroot.ca/rigol/D2072A%20Unlocking%20Guide.pdf

I elected to go with the 200MHz option, plenty fast for my needs.  All options unlocked.  Happy camper!

The only problem I have now is that the CH1 vertical position knob does not work.  I don't know if that has anything to do with all this firmware hacking or not.  I may have to return the scope for service.

~ Russ 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:46:26 pm by RLSprouse »

Offline ReadNoise

« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2014, 04:10:35 pm »
I had a similar problem as many others with the SW 03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0 DS2072A, it refuses to load any older firmware while re-flashing the current version works just fine. As I read further on other threads, I came across https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/ thread and especially the discussion using the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? to get a memory dump.

I can confirm, the command  ":SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920, 13262848" works perfectly on my MSO 2072 A. The scope is connected via Lan cable.
SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2
The rigup.exe tool generates keys in miliseconds.

I used NCat to get the partial memory dump (address range likely varies between SW versions) from the scope, ran the rigup.exe included in the DS2000A upgrade utility, and it created the keys for my DS2072A. Sent the 200MHz key to scope with netcat again and 200MHz was unlocked. Total time start to finish was under 2 minutes.

echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin
rigup scan DS2072A_sdram.bin > EC-keys.txt
rigup DS2072 DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt
type Options.txt
echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555

--A
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:15:11 pm by ReadNoise »

Offline synic

« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:24 pm »
I used NCat to get the partial memory dump (address range likely varies between SW versions) from the scope, ran the rigup.exe included in the DS2000A upgrade utility, and it created the keys for my DS2072A. Sent the 200MHz key to scope with netcat again and 200MHz was unlocked. Total time start to finish was under 2 minutes.

echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin
type Options.txt
echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555

--A

I can confirm the above worked for me as well.  I also had the same version/model, and the scope just would not upgrade from the USB stick to the key dump firmware, but this method using ncat worked.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »
Dear all,
Just received my brand new toy, MSO2072A. Unboxed it and connected it to the LAN, said the magic word ("xyzzy" for those who remember...) and turned it 5 minutes later into an MSO2302A.
Thanks to all of you guys, you're great!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2014, 11:23:56 am »
@Jog

Just enter the keys from the front panel.

Offline CoolJazzTom

« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2014, 05:15:04 am »
Forum member Zombie28 had posted a link to the firmware file DS2000Update.GEL in thread "sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus". I tried downloading that file but was met with the message "the file you are trying to download is no longer available". I found a zipfile named DS2000UpdateGEL.exe on the net but when unzipped, it did not contain a file with the "GEL" extension.

Can anyone tell me where I may find the latest DS2000Update.GEL file that allows me to recover the Rigol DS2072A system keys without needing to open up the unit for a memory dump (thereby voiding the warranty)? I really need the higher bandwidth but do not have the cash to shell out for a new o'scope.
Thanks for the help. This thread rocks!

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2014, 12:30:48 pm »
If you read 4 post above yours, you will see something interresting..
You don't need to take apart your scope and void your warranty..

Offline NZST205

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2014, 05:40:48 pm »
I have the DS2072A with SW 00.03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0 and have setup a number of Windows machines to try using DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer.exe to upgrade it. The Upgrade Utility seems to perform as described but when I boot the scope into update mode and insert the USB drive the CH1 light doesn't blink, instead all light turn on and stay on. I have tried 4 different USB drives varying in size from 1 to 32Gb.
They all behave the same.
I have therefore concluded that the combination of SW and FW is such that I must adopt an alternative method.
The next approach planned is to us the SCPI Method described elsewhere.
What I can't find is the "rigup.exe" file mentioned. I assumed it was installed from within "DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer.exe" but a search doesn't find it, I am running Win 7 Ultimate SP1.
Can someone please advise where I might find that file please so I can try the SCPI method ? :-//

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:16 pm »
What I can't find is the "rigup.exe" file mentioned. I assumed it was installed from within "DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer.exe" but a search doesn't find it, I am running Win 7 Ultimate SP1.
Can someone please advise where I might find that file please so I can try the SCPI method ? :-//
Here: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/

Offline therobotmaker

« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2014, 05:06:54 am »

SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2

This worked perfectly for me on HW 2.0 and the latest FW.  Thanks!

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2014, 02:35:47 pm »
BTW, just for clarity, that repository does not contain the latest version of the DS2000A firmware: #03.01.00.04.  As of now, it's downloadable here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:46:13 pm by marmad »

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2014, 07:13:55 pm »
BTW, just for clarity, that repository does not contain the latest version of the DS2000A firmware: #03.01.00.04.  As of now, it's downloadable here.
Mirrored now :). I haven't been keeping up on developments on this lately, apologies.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »
apologies.

That seemed odd.  Then I noticed your country flag.  Rock on, friendly Canadian.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:24 am »
Dear all,
Just received my brand new toy, MSO2072A. Unboxed it and connected it to the LAN, said the magic word ("xyzzy" for those who remember...) and turned it 5 minutes later into an MSO2302A.
Thanks to all of you guys, you're great!

You had to plugh it in first, right?

Offline NZST205

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2014, 06:13:03 am »
Now in the correct thread,

Haven't used windows for over 10 years and having a few problems, can anyone please help me by advising what format I should be saving the SCPI dump in, should it be ASCII, byte-8bit, byte-16bit or byte-32bit.

When I rigup the file it says no keys. perhaps I need to hit the Advanced Tab in Current Return Value screen or something as not matter what file I save they are either 8 or 16 kb, not the 32 Mb file I am expecting. I have tried the scan with both 1,133554432 and 1544190,13262848.

Help will be greatly appreciated as have spend a couple of days on this now and getting very frustrated. Sorry should have mention scope is a DS2072A with 03.01.00.04 and HW 1.02.0.2 Manufactured August 2014.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:19:47 am by NZST205 »

Offline SharpEars

• Supporter
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:29 pm »
Now in the correct thread,

Haven't used windows for over 10 years and having a few problems, can anyone please help me by advising what format I should be saving the SCPI dump in, should it be ASCII, byte-8bit, byte-16bit or byte-32bit.

When I rigup the file it says no keys. perhaps I need to hit the Advanced Tab in Current Return Value screen or something as not matter what file I save they are either 8 or 16 kb, not the 32 Mb file I am expecting. I have tried the scan with both 1,133554432 and 1544190,13262848.

Help will be greatly appreciated as have spend a couple of days on this now and getting very frustrated. Sorry should have mention scope is a DS2072A with 03.01.00.04 and HW 1.02.0.2 Manufactured August 2014.

I am pretty sure that rigup expects the SCPI dump in binary (i.e., 8-bit binary data to which any hex dump you did needs to be converted).

Offline NZST205

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
Thank you SharpEars, it transpires that I was approaching this all wrong by using usb and the rigol SCPI tool.  By converting over to LAN and then using the 3rd party SCPI tool under native OSX it saved the magic 32mb file and the rest is history.

Offline NZST205

• Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:08 pm »
Yes that's what I used and mine is just a few weeks old.

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2014, 05:19:53 am »
Above posted firmware 03.01.00.04.  BRICKED my scope. Be very careful!! It froze during firmware update and now just shows Rigol screen upon turn on. I can't believe it.

*EDIT* seems to be something to do with the stick's file system as reformatting the USB stick worked.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:06:48 am by andrija »

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2014, 05:37:26 am »
Above posted firmware 03.01.00.04.  BRICKED my scope. Be very careful!! It froze during firmware update and now just shows Rigol screen upon turn on. I can't believe it. A thousand dollars down the drain  :'(

I didn't experienced that.

You'd better check your USB stick first, then flash your scope in bootloader mode. Also, since I don't know what the previous firmware version your scope was running, a reset (left  vertical 6th key at boot time) should be helpful.

Cheers.

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:09 am »
Reset with rapidly pressing 6th button after turn on does nothing. It shows Rigol and some buttons are lit up and that's it, it stays like that until turned off. This is the same stick I used to unlock the scope so I am sure it works.

What do you mean bootloader mode? Ah you mean double-click help button. I will give that a try.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:46:16 am by andrija »

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:46 am »
Reset with rapidly pressing 6th button after turn on does nothing. It shows Rigol and some buttons are lit up and that's it, it stays like that until turned off. This is the same stick I used to unlock the scope so I am sure it works.

What do you mean bootloader mode?

Ton enter in the bootloader mode, quickly press "help" button at boot time (you probably have to retry few time to get into). Once you are (the scope stays black screen), plus the USB stick, wait till all buttons backlight turns on, reboot.

Cheers.

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:11 am »
Something is happening but it's taking forever. Thanks for the help!

I had to interrupt update several times as it would never finish. In the end I reformatted the stick and copied firmware again. Then it worked.  :phew:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:20:49 am by andrija »

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:32 am »
Something is happening but it's taking forever. Thanks for the help!

I had to interrupt update several times as it would never finish. In the end I reformatted the stick and copied firmware again. Then it worked.  :phew:

Nice to read that it's fixed now ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Offline danander11

• Supporter
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:04 am »

OK.. I'll have to toss my hat into this ring..

Just bought a DS-2072A today.  I came home and ran the utility, made sure that the USB stick was recognized and went through the process.   I had to go through three different sticks until I found one that read.  Using the GEL file that came with untility, nothing happened...  it would just go to lights on.  Using the updated GEL (from the quote above), seemed to work..  the Ch1 light flashed for a bit then the other lights came on.   I removed the stick and rebooted holding down the sixth button on the left as per the instructions but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I then plugged the DO back into my computer and the utility saw it instantly..  However,  when I click next, it will run for a bit then return the following error:

Unexpected Response Length

Code length not appropriate.
Wrong FW is used or communication error occurred.
Are you sure that you successfully flashed the modified firmware?

Refer to error log (ErrorLog.txt) for details

Any suggestions?     I'm a bit on shaky legs with all of this but it would sure be nice to get everything unlocked and running fast.

Thanks.

(btw...  I've been reading from back to front in this thread and haven't seen mention of this error yet...  If I've missed discussion on it, my apologies)

Edit:  it may be the restart that's causing the issue.  I keep reading where folks have to change the language back from Chinese, but mine never gets there.  Is there an alternate way to rest the DO?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:23:23 am by danander11 »

Offline Eng_hassan85

« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »

OK.. I'll have to toss my hat into this ring..

Just bought a DS-2072A today.  I came home and ran the utility, made sure that the USB stick was recognized and went through the process.   I had to go through three different sticks until I found one that read.  Using the GEL file that came with untility, nothing happened...  it would just go to lights on.  Using the updated GEL (from the quote above), seemed to work..  the Ch1 light flashed for a bit then the other lights came on.   I removed the stick and rebooted holding down the sixth button on the left as per the instructions but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I then plugged the DO back into my computer and the utility saw it instantly..  However,  when I click next, it will run for a bit then return the following error:

Unexpected Response Length

Code length not appropriate.
Wrong FW is used or communication error occurred.
Are you sure that you successfully flashed the modified firmware?

Refer to error log (ErrorLog.txt) for details

Any suggestions?     I'm a bit on shaky legs with all of this but it would sure be nice to get everything unlocked and running fast.

Thanks.

(btw...  I've been reading from back to front in this thread and haven't seen mention of this error yet...  If I've missed discussion on it, my apologies)

Edit:  it may be the restart that's causing the issue.  I keep reading where folks have to change the language back from Chinese, but mine never gets there.  Is there an alternate way to rest the DO?

Hi danander11 ,

I was having the same like you .. but i used another method of hacking , you can have alook into my message below on the other thread which you can follow in details .

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg577439/#msg577439
Good Day !
Hassan Elsabaa

Rigol DS2072A .. Hacked to 300 Mhz , Fluke 179

Offline dp

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
The DS2000A Upgrade Utility won't work on firmware 00.03, because it tries to downgrade it to 00.02 and the firmware doesn't allow downgrades. The utility is still useful as a SCPI console, if started in quick configuration mode (make sure it is connected to your scope). Here's how to do the upgrade in three simple steps:
  • Make a memory dump with the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432
    Make sure the input buffer is large enough to hold the reply. Set it to something like 100M to be on the safe side and note that the command takes a while to complete. At the end you will be asked to provide a file name for the memory dump, let's say dump.bin

• Use the program rigup (http://gotroot.ca/rigol/) to extract the correct license keys for the various upgrade options from your memory dump. When using one of these keys, remember to discard the dashes. Here's an example:

>rigup ds2072a dump.bin
    rigup ds2072a - Version 0.4

Serial number: DS2DXXXXXXXXX

NSEH:  Y79WUYX-LMN4SH4-4HSHLFE-F4GF6SM    All options, no bandwidth upgrade
    NSER:  7WS6DU3-XRFJ863-CYVJHUQ-XGN8J5M    All options, bandwidth 100 MHz
    NSEQ:  4788KWX-WWYZX42-SPSM4TY-ZH9YLSM    All options, bandwidth 200 MHz
    NS8H:  LXX46YY-VB2A9KR-878KD4R-4H6JKSM    All options, bandwidth 300 MHz

• Use the SCPI command :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall option_key, e.g. for option NS8H:
    :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall LXX46YYVB2A9KR878KD4R4H6JKSM

That's all.

The following users thanked this post: ssaenek

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:07 am »
Is there going to be a way for the utility to work on 03 versions of the scope?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2015, 03:20:25 am »
The DS2000A Upgrade Utility won't work on firmware 00.03, because it tries to downgrade it to 00.02 and the firmware doesn't allow downgrades. The utility is still useful as a SCPI console, if started in quick configuration mode (make sure it is connected to your scope). Here's how to do the upgrade in three simple steps:
  • Make a memory dump with the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432
    Make sure the input buffer is large enough to hold the reply. Set it to something like 100M to be on the safe side and note that the command takes a while to complete. At the end you will be asked to provide a file name for the memory dump, let's say dump.bin

• Use the program rigup (http://gotroot.ca/rigol/) to extract the correct license keys for the various upgrade options from your memory dump. When using one of these keys, remember to discard the dashes. Here's an example:

>rigup ds2072a dump.bin
    rigup ds2072a - Version 0.4

Serial number: DS2DXXXXXXXXX

NSEH:  Y79WUYX-LMN4SH4-4HSHLFE-F4GF6SM    All options, no bandwidth upgrade
    NSER:  7WS6DU3-XRFJ863-CYVJHUQ-XGN8J5M    All options, bandwidth 100 MHz
    NSEQ:  4788KWX-WWYZX42-SPSM4TY-ZH9YLSM    All options, bandwidth 200 MHz
    NS8H:  LXX46YY-VB2A9KR-878KD4R-4H6JKSM    All options, bandwidth 300 MHz

• Use the SCPI command :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall option_key, e.g. for option NS8H:
    :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall LXX46YYVB2A9KR878KD4R4H6JKSM

That's all.

I have done the SCPI thing and received a reply from the interface. How do I get rigup to work with the results?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:38 am »
If your USB stick has an activity LED that doesn't show an awful lot when you first plug it in, just try unplugging it and putting it back in.

I use an SD card in an adapter to update my DS2000A. Pretty much every time it's a case of entering upgrade mode, plugging in the adapter, seeing no light on the adapter (not detected properly), unplugging the adapter and plugging back in again, at which point it sees it and the upgrade starts.

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
If your USB stick has an activity LED that doesn't show an awful lot when you first plug it in, just try unplugging it and putting it back in.

I use an SD card in an adapter to update my DS2000A. Pretty much every time it's a case of entering upgrade mode, plugging in the adapter, seeing no light on the adapter (not detected properly), unplugging the adapter and plugging back in again, at which point it sees it and the upgrade starts.

Yes, but if the firmware on the unit is newer than the one on the stick the 'upgrade' will not occur.

Offline Zandor

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »

Yes, but if the firmware on the unit is newer than the one on the stick the 'upgrade' will not occur.

I have never had a problem downgrading or upgrading.  I went from V3 to V2 and back several times when I first got the scope. 

Did something change in the very latest firmware?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »
I have tried several times with different USB drives and cannot get the firmware to load onto the scope. This is frustrating.

Offline Zandor

« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
I use a older 2GB USB drive and followed the instructions at the bottom of this message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158684/#msg158684

Are you able to install anything at all, even the same firmware over itself?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
After more studying, I figured out that I can use the command line interface of netcat. I was able to get the keys from my scope using rigup. However, I can't get the options.txt file to generate using the command: rigup DS2072 DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

I get the error "unknown command. Try without arguments"

Please refer to my post here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg610593/#msg610593
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:12:30 am by bigone5500 »

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:17 pm »

--A

This should read rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

I now have an Options.txt file with upgrade options listed.

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »
I had a similar problem as many others with the SW 03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0 DS2072A, it refuses to load any older firmware while re-flashing the current version works just fine. As I read further on other threads, I came across https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/ thread and especially the discussion using the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? to get a memory dump.

I can confirm, the command  ":SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920, 13262848" works perfectly on my MSO 2072 A. The scope is connected via Lan cable.
SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2

type Options.txt

--A

These instructions work easily if you understand them. I did not. However, when I figured it out, realized it was simple. Thanks for the help. I now have all options installed at 300MHz.

I installed netcat which is installed along with netmap GUI. https://nmap.org/download.html Go into your scope's interface and find the IP address of the scope and write it down if you wish. When you install netcat, it will also add a system variable which allows you to call it while in a command prompt from any directory. Review instructions on their website: https://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-exec. Open a command prompt in windows and type the first line of the instructions:

You will then have a .bin file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the second line of the instructions:

Rigup will scan the .bin file and create .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the third line of the instructions:

rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

Rigup will create options keys using the .bin file and you will then have another .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the fourth line to display the key options along with a description of what they unlock.

type Options.txt

If you opt to enter the key using the selector knob on your scope, you can disregard the last line but you can just as easily install the key via the command prompt with copy/paste functions. Highlight this line and copy/paste it into your command prompt. use the cursor keys to navigate and replace the green text with your info.

echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE ]5555

Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:46:06 pm by bigone5500 »

Offline Maurizio

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:12 am »
I have a DS 2102, sw 00.02.01 (00.02.00.00.04) and hw 2.0 (1.0.2.0.2), january 2014.
I tried exactly the procedure described by BIGONE5555 but the dump command line by ncat returns:
Idle timeout expired <1000 ms>

The IP number is right, ncat can scan the scope, but the dump file is 0 byte long.
As I know hw versions 2.0 and 2.2 are identical, I suppose the problem is in my sw that is 2.0 and not 3.x, so some parameters to put in the command are not the same.
I prefer, if I can, to try this route to unlock the scope, because it is less intrusive.

Questions:
1) There is a command line with parameters working with sw 2.0 (if this is the problem)?
2) If the problem is in the incompatibility of the procedure with the sw 2.X, where can I obtain the 3.x sw?

Many thanks

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:37 pm »
Would someone, please be kind enough to show us step by step what to do. There are noobs out there like me, who don’t want the DS2000A to brick up.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Maurizio

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:42 am »
Definitely lost in the sea of bytes of my DS2102A.
Trying to use the string:
:SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848
or so to dump the memory of my scope, I used the nmap scanning program as per instructions of some post ago, but it returns an error, but the lan connection is ok.
Then I tried to use the Ultra Sigma SCPI program and it works with other commands, but sending the string:
it returns an error.
I also investingating in the DS2000A programming guide to understand more precisely how to send commands to my scope, and found that only SYST is a documented command; no trace of UTIL and READ, perhaps they are undocumented commands.
But the realty is that the Whole command doesn't works for me |O |O

I hoped the well explained step by step process that Bigone 5500 wrote some posts ago would work, but nothing

So, please help: what is the trick?

Offline OldNeurons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49:33 am »
Definitely lost in the sea of bytes of my DS2102A.
Trying to use the string:
or so to dump the memory of my scope, I used the nmap scanning program as per instructions of some post ago, but it returns an error, but the lan connection is ok.
Then I tried to use the Ultra Sigma SCPI program and it works with other commands, but sending the string:
it returns an error.
I also investingating in the DS2000A programming guide to understand more precisely how to send commands to my scope, and found that only SYST is a documented command; no trace of UTIL and READ, perhaps they are undocumented commands.
But the realty is that the Whole command doesn't works for me |O |O

I hoped the well explained step by step process that Bigone 5500 wrote some posts ago would work, but nothing

So, please help: what is the trick?

I have a DS2102A delivered with Firmware revision 00.02.01.00.03, and was exactly in the same situation. No way to get the :SYS :UTIL command to work.
I finally decided to use the upgrade utility as proposed in this topic and it worked like a charm !

Many, many thanks to the author and all contributors.

It also seems to me that this :SYS:UTIL command is not supported on every firmware version, and would also appreciate to hear experience from other users.

Offline tomsaw

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:28 am »
Hi!
Please can you help me with my DS2000A aktivation.

I've tried many ways:
1. Upgrade Utilityhttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/
-> When it comes to Step "Connect the DS2000A to your Computer", it doesn't recognise my DS2102A-S. I've tried with and without "Sigma" installede
2. The ncat mem dump only works with FW 0.3.3 or  FW 0.3.0. When is Install something <0.3.0 ncat cant fetch any packets. I've made a 32MB and a 64MB mem dump from First Byte on. echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,66554432 and used rigup 0.4 under Linux and Windows i always get prompt error (within 0seconds!): "Scanning 'DS2102A_sdram.bin' failed: No keys"

My exact Scope Data:
Rigol DS2102A-S
Software version(actual): 00.03.03.01.00 - Upgrading and Downgrading works!
Hardware version: 1.2.2.0.2

Ive spent hours in this now  |O... You got any tipps, please? O0

Offline vladbrat

« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2015, 07:35:06 am »
 :clap: :clap: :-DD

My English is very bad.

I want to say thank you very much for your forum.
I have successfully activated your DS2072A

pls update DS2000     00.03.03.01.00
https://yadi.sk/d/YPfGSsxNfomqo
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:26:15 pm by vladbrat »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:45 am »

SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2

type Options.txt

--A

These instructions work easily if you understand them. I did not. However, when I figured it out, realized it was simple. Thanks for the help. I now have all options installed at 300MHz.

I installed netcat which is installed along with netmap GUI. https://nmap.org/download.html Go into your scope's interface and find the IP address of the scope and write it down if you wish. When you install netcat, it will also add a system variable which allows you to call it while in a command prompt from any directory. Review instructions on their website: https://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-exec. Open a command prompt in windows and type the first line of the instructions:

Rigup will scan the .bin file and create .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Rigup will create options keys using the .bin file and you will then have another .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the fourth line to display the key options along with a description of what they unlock.

type Options.txt

If you opt to enter the key using the selector knob on your scope, you can disregard the last line but you can just as easily install the key via the command prompt with copy/paste functions. Highlight this line and copy/paste it into your command prompt. use the cursor keys to navigate and replace the green text with your info.

echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE ]5555

Thanks again guys.
Thanks man!
I just unlocked my DSO 2072A with 00.03.03 SP1 Hardware version: 2.0

This procedure was pretty straight forward and it worked for me. Connected the scope to my LAN with an ethernet cable, figured out which IP the Scope got from my DHCP.

Used the rigup from here: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/rigup-0.4.zip

The one modification I had to do was when you do: echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin

I had to modify and get the whole range because that limited (15441920,13262848) range didn't have my keys. I just did: echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin  instead.

I would recommend everyone just grabs the full range since the place where the keys are in the memory of the scope will change with newer versions of firmware. In any case if you don't get grab them with the netcat, the rigup will tell you they are missing when you try to extract them. So no biggie.

Anyways, thanks everyone who was involved with coming up with the unlock! 300Mhz and all options unlocked   :-+

edit: actually I spoke too soon the 300Mhz option didn't work for me. It unlocked all the options but it didn't list the BW upgrades. So I entered the 200Mhz option and that one works. What gives? I have 2 other keys I didn't try. One (1st) gives options without BW upgrade, and the other one is just 100Hmz unlock with options. I guess 200Mhz is pretty good still.

edit2: ok I figured out what my issue was. I was using the old rigup-v1, with the new rigup (which I updated above), I got 300Mhz unlocked! Above link for rigup was updated to reflect the good version.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:31:59 am by Muxr »

Offline bartsx

• Contributor
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »
Another DS2027A got successfully updated.
First I used the classic approach with the USB firmware downgrade but couldn't find a suitable USB and it may wouldn't have worked anyway due to my HW/SW version (2.0/00.03.03.SP1) :--
But this approach worked like a charm.
I had to use the same memory range as Muxr since rigup couldn't find any keys in the regular range.
Thanks again to everybody who worked on this upgrade :-+ :clap: :-+
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:44:11 pm by bartsx »

Offline Fensterstock

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2015, 08:57:28 am »
Just upgraded my new DS2072A (SW03.03.SP2/HW2.0) to 300MHz.
Thank you all for the detailed instructions. :-+

One thing may be worth mentioning: At first I downloaded the rigup-0.4.1-x86_64-linux.gz binary but this version does not work. It just says "no keys" and thats it. You have to use the binary in the rigup-0.4.zip file. Took me quite some time to figure that out...

Offline brint.corb

• Contributor
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2015, 01:38:53 am »
Thanks to everybody here.  My ds2072a is now running at 200 MHz.  At least that what it says  ???.   Given the 2GaS/s rate I see no need to push it to 300.

I had to use the memory range 1 to 33 million something as suggested by muxr.

Offline DD4DA

• Contributor
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:34 am »
What is the reason why you don't support the DS2000 models too? There are none differents - they just uses some little hw changes - not more - the firmware they uses, are similar.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2015, 01:54:46 pm »
Thanks to everybody here.  My ds2072a is now running at 200 MHz.  At least that what it says  ???.   Given the 2GaS/s rate I see no need to push it to 300.

I had to use the memory range 1 to 33 million something as suggested by muxr.

Even at 300MHz and 2GS/s (1 ch), you have more than 6 samples per period, 3 times the Nyquist frequency. If you compute the worst case amplitude error you get with 6 samples per period, you will see that it is still very good...
I'm trying to find a function gen able to go up to 1 GHz in order to check the real bandwith at 3dB. I already made a measurement with a pulse generator and found 1ns rise time which gives a theorical BW of 350MHz, but I would like to confirm that with a sine wave above 300MHz.

Offline brint.corb

• Contributor
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2015, 01:24:00 am »
I'm trying to find a function gen able to go up to 1 GHz in order to check the real bandwith at 3dB.

:-DD yep in your (our) dreams.

Offline brint.corb

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2015, 01:54:03 am »
No seriously, if you want a pure 1 gHz sine 99 pct pure please post it

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2015, 02:42:26 am »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2015, 03:30:38 am »
 :-DD
What's with the back the front R, top left. P****shopped?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:36 am »
:-DD
What's with the back the front R, top left. P****shopped?
Bud is still frustrated about the fact that Rigol neglected his advice to fix the DS1000Z PLL jitter issue. That he owns a DS2000 does not make it any better. Poor fellow, to keep on going with his Rigol bashing.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:57 pm »
Do not worry Orange, more is coming, i promise you will not be disappointed.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Cariad61

« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2016, 01:31:55 am »

SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2

type Options.txt

--A

type Options.txt

Thanks again guys.
[/quote

Thank you all I have all options open on my DS2202A following the above instructions.

However, when I try to upgrade to All options, bandwidth 300 MHz using the key genrated with rigup I get a message on the scope:

License Unavailable

Current Software Version is 00.03.04.SP2, however, I tried the key with version going back to software version 00.03.00.

Hardware version is 2.0

If anyone can help get around 'License Unavailable' to get me to 300 MHz - it would of course be much apprecaited.  Thank you.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:50 am »
However, when I try to upgrade to All options, bandwidth 300 MHz using the key genrated with rigup I get a message on the scope:

License Unavailable

Current Software Version is 00.03.04.SP2, however, I tried the key with version going back to software version 00.03.00.

Hardware version is 2.0

If anyone can help get around 'License Unavailable' to get me to 300 MHz - it would of course be much apprecaited.  Thank you.

This issue is known and solution was found in the past --- try 'NS8N' key. Read here for my experience plus links to previous posts on the topic.

The following users thanked this post: Cariad61

Offline rodelco54

« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2016, 03:17:14 am »
I just wanted to thank everyone who participates in this forum, especially MadCrow for his DS2000 Upgrade Utility and the "Short Post" from BTO.  I just purchased a used DS2072A (had about 17 hours on it) for less than $400 locally.  After reading through all of the "hacking" information I could find, I followed the instructions for using the Upgrade Utility from "BTO". 

I had trouble the first time that I plugged the flash drive in to the scope for the DS2000Update.gel update in that the CH1 LED was flashing very slowly for a long time (I let it go for 25 minutes!), but all of the other lights never did come on.  I finally just pulled out the flash drive, and then all of the other lights came on.  I turned off the machine and then repeated the procedure, and this time all of the lights came on within about 5 minutes.  I completed the rest of the procedure and was successful in unlocking the 300MHz bandwidth and all of the other features. 

I am very happy!  Thank you all again.

Offline outremer

• Contributor
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2016, 12:00:26 am »
Hi all !

My DS2202A made the small jump to the 2302A model.
Note the "Never Expires" statements in the installed option folder.
Pic 3 shows a 500 MHz -10 dBm signal on channel 1 50 ohm input
Pic 4 is a 800 MHz @-10 dBm try; this seems to be the limit with a
RG316 U 3' cable.

Thank you much.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:40:42 pm by outremer »

Offline MULTik

« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2016, 12:08:04 pm »
It's two years since the introduction of this upgrade utility. Does it still work with the latest Rigol DS2000A hardware and firmware? Or Rigol have taken anti-tamper measures since then?

Offline outremer

• Contributor
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2016, 07:14:06 pm »
It's two years since the introduction of this upgrade utility. Does it still work with the latest Rigol DS2000A hardware and firmware? Or Rigol have taken anti-tamper measures since then?

I upgraded mine 3 weeks ago.... utilizing memorydump (with RigolBildschirmkpopie) and keygen rigup 0.4 and then entering the key with Rigol Ultra Sigma utility. No problem. I have done a firmware upgrade since with no problem either..

Regards

Offline semicolo

« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:34 am »
I just did mine too, hardware 2.2, firmware 00.03.04.SP2.

I lost a lot of time trying the upgrade utility, replacing the firmware didn't work on my scope, I finally just dumped the memory over the network from a linux computer with:
echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432 | ncat -i 1 192.168.0.74 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin (adjust the ip address)
Then I used the rigup utility to generate the options keys and the 300MHz one worked.

Dumping all the memory is actually quite fast using the network, I read somewhere else it takes 5 minutes, but it was way faster for me, maybe it's slower if you dump over USB.

Offline Keebler

« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:18 pm »
Howdy, thanks for all the work!  Just performed the upgrade on a DS2072A.

Firmware: 00.03.04.SP2
Hardware: 2.3

Dumped the image over the network and everything worked perfectly!

Offline Emi

• Contributor
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:01 pm »
Hi..
Hw rev.  2.3 yet?
Are there many improvements from 2.0?
Can i find a changelog somewhere?

Offline madeinoz67

• Blog
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:17 am »
Thanks to all for this procedure, it worked (using nmap) on the latest current firmware for DS2072A. 

I did have a problem trying to get nmap to write back the license string to the scope over the network, so I manually entered in the generated code into the options screen and viola!!! all working

Regards,

Stephen...

Offline Cariad61

« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:28 pm »
I came back to  this  to try and get the 300 Mhz option, I created a NS8N key and still got License Unavailable.

I tried the previous keys created and got the message option already installed, so I deleted all options with :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall.

However when I try any of the keys I created previously I now get License Unavailable. 

I also tried re-creating the keys from scratch, however, when I run 'rigup scan DSsdram.bin > EC-keys.txt'   I get a message 'failed: No keys'.

Please can anyone help.

Offline jeanguypataterub

• Contributor
  • I love photography and ham radio along with electronics.
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »
Hi there. I tried the software and when I inserted the usb drive in the scope I got :

"Code length not appropriate"

I looked at the error log as it said to do and got the message:

"Code length not appropriate :12

Code: 00.03.05.sp3"

Did I do something wrong?

Pierre   |O

Offline vy73

« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2018, 12:06:01 am »
[updated post after success]

Hi,

I got today a new DS2072A, HW version 2.3 and SW version 00.03.05.SP3.

After just 4h and lots of frustration I finally have all options and Model 2302A on the screen.

I tried to unlock the 300MHz bandwith and all options by using the ds2000a-upgrade-utility but flashing the firmware failed every time. I had the file on a FAT32 stick and the scope in the upgrade mode (Single LED on) but almost instant after putting the stick into the front port all LED's in the "vertical" section, all in the "trigger" section and the multi knob and Run/Stop illuminated. I left the scope like this for >1h, no change. Rebooting as described with the "F6" button pushed down didn't do anything. I tried several FAT32 sticks and could never get the modified firmware onto the scope.
Then I tried the memory dump vial LAN using "Rigol Bildschirmkopie" and this was the first success. I had a 32mb file.
But retrieving the keys with the rigup tool was not easy. I assumed that the latest version must be best....wrong. 0.4.2 didn't do anything on my PC. After lots of try and error I found the "rigup02" folder on "http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/" and this tool (rigup-0.1)worked.
I got 4 Keys (NSEH, NSER, NSEQ and NS8H).
The NS8H changed my DS2072A into a DS2302A with all options activated.

Thanks to everyone who made this hack possible for dummy users like myself.

Best Regards,

vy73

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:44:40 am by vy73 »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2018, 05:33:40 am »
Try a different USB stick.  Try to find an older. smaller one.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2018, 05:57:37 am »
It has not been necessary to use a modified firmware for years (nor has it been necessary to open the scope to complete upgrade in years). All you need is riglol to generate the codes for you. Leave your firmware alone.

Edit: Current (and has been current for years) way to liberate DS2000A scopes: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:00:04 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2018, 06:01:05 am »

Well, at least you didn't suggest he remove the ground from his scope.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2018, 10:14:53 pm »

Well, at least you didn't suggest he remove the ground from his scope.
Sigh... nor did I suggest that he stand in a puddle while testing 50,000 volts.

Offline rwetfer

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:23 am »
http://peter.dreisiebner.at/rigol-bildschirmkopie-lan/
the link is Error occurred: 404 - not found now.
would anyone give me a copy of "rigol-bildschirmkopie-lan"?

you can email me rwetfer@qq.com.

I will be deeply grateful

Offline geebd214

« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »
Encountered an issue with the utility where my scope showing up and I can't select next.  The device manager has the scope categorized as "USB Test and Measurement Devices --> USB Test and Measurement Device (IVI)".  Anyone have any ideas?

Firmware version update was successful
Firmware version 00.02.01
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:47:56 pm by geebd214 »

Offline tatz

« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:29 pm »
Утилита не работает

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Offline audibleeye

« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2023, 05:37:55 pm »
Is it possible to reload the links to the upgrade files as I get a 404 error on all links.

Thanks

Offline PE1DHI

« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2023, 09:31:22 pm »
There it is again....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf