Author Topic: DS2000A Upgrade Utility  (Read 138360 times)

Offline madcrowTopic starter

• Contributor
DS2000A Upgrade Utility
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
Hello Everyone!

I created a little application which will help you upgrade and manage your DS2000A series DSOs. (Only for DS2000A models! The older DS2000 product line is not supported.)

It has a wizard-like user interface, and it guides you through all the steps of the option-upgrade process. The steps are in fact the same as explained many times in  our favourite Rigol monster-thread ;) but the process is now fully automated. The only thing you need to do manually is upload the special FW on the device (the Utility will also explain to you how to do that). No Hex-editing, no SCPI commands in Ultra Sigma is necessary any more, all you need is the Utility itself and a USB flash drive.

OS compatibility:
Vista x32 / x64 or newer

Features:
Wen you successfully completed the wizard for at least one DS2000A device, the Utility will swich its GUI to "Quick configuration mode", where all the upgrade related features are within a reach of one mouse-click. This mode also offers you some cool additional features like device discovery via LAN, screenshot saving, DSO settings backup / restore, date & time syncronization, self test, and an SCPI terminal.
In this mode, most controls (buttons, list boxes, etc.) have tooltips, which inform you about their purpose and correct use.

Installation:
The Utility comes with an "Installer" (a pimped SFX archive, really) which also installs all dependencies if necessary (i.e. not already installed).

Credits:
The Utility utilizes Zombie28's modified FW, and (a slightly modified version of) Tirulerbach's Rigup key decryption tool. It is them, who did the really heavy lifting, without them this application could not exist. All I did was wrap these compontents in a nice and easy-to-use package.

Bugs:
If you find any, please send me the error log and explain how to reproduce the issue. I will do my best to fix critical errors, but you must understand that my time and resources are limited, so no guarantees, no ETA.

Questions:
Please always read the instructions of the wizard carefully. In "Quick configuration" mode, check out the tooltips. If there is something that is still not clear, take a look at the help file. At this point, if you still have questions, drop me a line, and I will try to shed some light on the issue.

Disclaimer:
I refuse to take any kind of responsibility if you damage / brick your DSO while using the Utility.
That being said, I tested it on my DS2072A multiple times, and it is still alive and kicking :)
As long as you follow the instructions of the wizard, and minimize the possibility of a power outage during the FW update, you will be fine.

Latest release: 1.0.0.1 (11.04.2014)

Changelog

Source files

Standard edition (with installer)
Portable edition
VirusTotal analysis of the Portable edition

Mirrored on http://gotroot.ca, courtesy of VE7XEN:
Standard edition (with installer)
Portable edition
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:47:18 am by madcrow »

The following users thanked this post: jeanguypataterub

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DS2000A Upgrade Utility
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »
Fantastic! Can't wait to check it out!

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »
Here are some screenshots:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:43:01 pm by madcrow »

Offline KA3YAN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »
If you're able to get the link posted for download today, I'll give'er a try this evening.  The screenshots look fantastic!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:30 pm »
Hey, that's pretty slick.  Though it is definitely biting the hand that feeds you in terms of hacking.  If people didn't make it so damned easy to upgrade their scopes for free, I doubt Rigol wouldn't be so hell-bent on fixing their exploits like they are.

I do appreciate the skill in your UI creation, though.  It looks very, very good.

Could you design a UI for me, since I'm on the topic?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »
If you're able to get the link posted for download today, I'll give'er a try this evening.  The screenshots look fantastic!

Hey KA3YAN,

I already did, even before posting the screenshots, actually :)
It is added to the end of the first post.

Offline sanman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
Warning: I'm seeing a Trojan embedded in your download link.

Threat: 'Troj/Agent-XGI' detected in /Users/VIRTEST/Downloads/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_0_Installer.exe

Beware!  :-[
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:14:03 pm by sanman »

Offline KA3YAN

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »
I already did, even before posting the screenshots, actually :)
It is added to the end of the first post.

Well dang.  I totally missed it.  Thanks.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:53 pm »
Warning: I'm seeing a Trojan embedded in your download link.

Threat: 'Troj/Agent-XGI' detected in /Users/VIRTEST/Downloads/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_0_Installer.exe

Beware!  :-[

Hm... strange. I have an up to date NOD32 antivirus SW installed on my system. Are you sure it is not a false alarm?
Tomorrow I will test it with some additional antimalware tools. Could you please do the same?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »
Hey, that's pretty slick.  Though it is definitely biting the hand that feeds you in terms of hacking.

I hope you are wrong about Rigol's reaction :) Although I would be lying if I said I did not wonder about the same thing.
Having a convenient way to upgrade will definitely affect the sales volumes of both the higher-end and lower-end DS2000A models (in the opposite direction, obviously). Whether this means less or more profit for Rigol depends entirely on the extent of these changes compared to each other.
Personally, I have nothing against Rigol, I actually respect them for putting out very decent products at reasonable prices. And I sincerely hope I am not hurting them by doing this.
If there are others among us who share your opinion I encourage them to let me know. If there are a significant number of people who think this app will piss off Rigol and have an negative impact on future DS2kA FWs, future Rigol DSO models, I promise I will stop sharing it.

I'll PM you about the UI.

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »
Uh-oh.... Symantec reports Trojan in the dotNet 451 silent laucher.... user beware!
Now that several AV packages report Trojan I do not think it is a false positive, sorry :(

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »
Uh-oh.... Symantec reports Trojan in the dotNet 451 silent laucher.... user beware!
Now that several AV packages report Trojan I do not think it is a false positive, sorry :(

This is just great... Why do I even bother to keep antivirus SW on my PC?  |O
Anyway, many thanks for letting us know. I removed all download links until I investigate this trojan thing. I'll try to take a closer look on it tomorrow.

@Mr Simpleton,
@sanman
Can you tell me exactly which antivirus / antimalware SW you are using?

Offline NYG

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:36:07 pm »
I scanned the file with Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything unusual.

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:55 pm »
Have you planned to provide the source code? or allowing others to openly participate in it? (translations, test, new functions)

If so, you could post links to the source code, it is safer for everyone.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:10 am »
Have you planned to provide the source code? or allowing others to openly participate in it? (translations, test, new functions)

If so, you could post links to the source code, it is safer for everyone.

+1

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:22 am »
Should you have any doubt, DO NOT run in your live computer, run it a "disposable" VM instead.

Once you got the key you wanted, dispose accordingly.  :P

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:09 am »
I wish it was an open/community tool and not only a cracker with a nice UI.

Being a little paranoid (but with all respect to madcrow) .... I did not put my serial on a program I do not know what to do with it.

A VM, great idea, but without access to the internet, and being destroyed so that no information leaves the sandbox.

Being little more paranoid .... IF .... madcrow it's a RIGOL agent or competitor? :) In his evil plan for bench world domination,  could corrupt or degrade their targets, our nice hacked tools, subtly after defeating our field of trust with early versions, which of course work fine...

I still prefer the public acces to the source code.

ps: after the joke, congrats madcrow, nice work !.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:36:45 am by manzini »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
Try uploading the file to www.virustotal.com it tests the file with multiple malware scanners. Gives you an idea if it's a false positive or not.

Note: many av programs false positive on any sort of obfuscation that is done.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 06:14:16 am »
Try uploading the file to www.virustotal.com it tests the file with multiple malware scanners. Gives you an idea if it's a false positive or not.

Note: many av programs false positive on any sort of obfuscation that is done.

File is too big - 150MB, max upload file size is 64MB.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:46 am »
Hey Guys,

Good news: The SW is safe, the AV warning is a false positive.
Let me explain why:

A key component of the DS2000A Upgrade Utility is the NI VISA runtime, which supports only WIX as a deployment engine. WIX has a notoriously steep learning curve though, building an installer + chainer with it would have taken as much time as I spent developing the app itself. This I why I am using a WinRAR self extracting archive in combination with some helper executables instead.
It is these helper executables (bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64.exe, bonjour-3.0.0.10-x86-x64-silent-w-installation-detector.exe, .Net451-x86-x64-silent-launcher-w-installation-detector.exe), which show up as false positives in some AV tools' tests.

VirusTotal evaluation of these files:
https://www.virustotal.com/hu/file/818cadd114fd39d6219f1029fb5f751d880863361b627171541ec9535ac72713/analysis/1396480447/
https://www.virustotal.com/hu/file/a113bf6398720e862921878be514a98650d20e366cf60cf42e24aec324e5939a/analysis/

What are these files exactly?
They are converted from batch files using the "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" tool. They also contain some embedded exe files (bonjour* contain the original x86 and x64 Bonjour .msi installers, .Net451-x86-x64-silent-launcher-w-installation-detector.exe contains a .Net installation detector tool written in c++ based on an MSDN article).

Executables created with "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" have been known to produce false positives in several AV tools.
Here is a comparision article introducing the tool (#4 in the list):
http://4sysops.com/archives/free-bat-to-exe-converter-4-ways-to-convert-a-batch-file-to-an-exe-file/
And here is the response of the author to the comments regarding the trojan warnings:
http://4sysops.com/archives/free-bat-to-exe-converter-4-ways-to-convert-a-batch-file-to-an-exe-file/#comment-287556

Hope I managed to calm your nerves :)

I restored the download links in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:10:39 am by madcrow »

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:09 am »
I wish it was an open/community tool and not only a cracker with a nice UI.

[OFF]
No offense taken. A little paranoia is never a bad thing IMO. That being said, your paranoia might be just a bit over the healthy amount ;)
Just out of curiousity: If i were indeed some evil mastermind like you suggested, what would I gain by getting my hands on a bunch of Rigol S/Ns? They are printed on the outside of the packaging, for crying out loud... If I were so interested in them, I could just visit a friendly dealer and write down as many as I like. But what good would it do to me?
It is just like the obsession with faces and licence plates nowadays. Everyone wants to make them disapper from every photo. Why? How could anyone cause me harm by simply knowing my licence plate number or what my face looks like?
Or is it just me who doesn't see the big picture here?
[/OFF]

As for the Open source thing:
Believe it or not, I did think about it. But my opinion is that it would only work if there is someone watching over and coordinating the development.
And I sure as hell do not want to be that guy. It would require way too much effort.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:01:35 pm by madcrow »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:02 am »
It doesn't need to be open source (because then other people can make bad versions)
Just find a way to make it not generate 'false positives' !!
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:33 am »
It doesn't need to be open source (because then other people can make bad versions)
Yep, this is exactly what meant when I mentioned the need for central oversight: preventing bad modifications.

Just find a way to make it not generate 'false positives' !!
Well I could easily make a portable "paranoid edition" :P, without the installer/uninstaller part. Since the problematic files are parts of the installer, doing so should eliminate the false positives entirely.
Needless to say, installing the dependencies is going to be your responsibility in that case.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:22 am »
Could you please replace these two direct download links with these two VirusTotal links instead:
Then you see a virus report before downloading and the file URL are at the top of the VirusTotal pages. And people can also add comments there discussing if there's any false positives or actual trojans/viruses.
You can add any file links here https://www.virustotal.com/#url and it will create a VirusTotal link instead with direct download links and virus reports.

Btw. if you want you can manually remove 'hu/' from the links before posting them to make them a bit shorter and if you don't want people to see you are from Hungary. So https://www.virustotal.com/hu/url/... becomes https://www.virustotal.com/url/...
When clicking the 'hu/' part will be automatically inserted or changed to another language depending on you location.

OK, I've just updated th OP. Since I could not find any clickable download links on the VirusTotal pages, I left the original DL links in the OP as well.

Thanks a lot for the tip regarding the language settings! I did try replacing "hu" by "en", but it did not work. And it just did not cross my mind to give it a try without a language ID.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:23:45 am by madcrow »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:23 am »
As for the open source thing, store it on GitHub, and people can fork the code, and do their thing, if someone makes some insanely good codecontributions, it can "easily" be merged in..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf