Author Topic: DS2000A Upgrade Utility  (Read 138826 times)

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
Re: DS2000A Upgrade Utility
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:11 am »
Something is happening but it's taking forever. Thanks for the help!

I had to interrupt update several times as it would never finish. In the end I reformatted the stick and copied firmware again. Then it worked.  :phew:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:20:49 am by andrija »

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:32 am »
Something is happening but it's taking forever. Thanks for the help!

I had to interrupt update several times as it would never finish. In the end I reformatted the stick and copied firmware again. Then it worked.  :phew:

Nice to read that it's fixed now ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Offline danander11

• Supporter
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
Here: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/
BTW, just for clarity, that repository does not contain the latest version of the DS2000A firmware: #03.01.00.04.  As of now, it's downloadable here.

OK.. I'll have to toss my hat into this ring..

Just bought a DS-2072A today.  I came home and ran the utility, made sure that the USB stick was recognized and went through the process.   I had to go through three different sticks until I found one that read.  Using the GEL file that came with untility, nothing happened...  it would just go to lights on.  Using the updated GEL (from the quote above), seemed to work..  the Ch1 light flashed for a bit then the other lights came on.   I removed the stick and rebooted holding down the sixth button on the left as per the instructions but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I then plugged the DO back into my computer and the utility saw it instantly..  However,  when I click next, it will run for a bit then return the following error:

Unexpected Response Length

Code length not appropriate.
Wrong FW is used or communication error occurred.
Are you sure that you successfully flashed the modified firmware?

Refer to error log (ErrorLog.txt) for details

Any suggestions?     I'm a bit on shaky legs with all of this but it would sure be nice to get everything unlocked and running fast.

Thanks.

(btw...  I've been reading from back to front in this thread and haven't seen mention of this error yet...  If I've missed discussion on it, my apologies)

Edit:  it may be the restart that's causing the issue.  I keep reading where folks have to change the language back from Chinese, but mine never gets there.  Is there an alternate way to rest the DO?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:23:23 am by danander11 »

Offline Eng_hassan85

« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »
Here: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/
BTW, just for clarity, that repository does not contain the latest version of the DS2000A firmware: #03.01.00.04.  As of now, it's downloadable here.

OK.. I'll have to toss my hat into this ring..

Just bought a DS-2072A today.  I came home and ran the utility, made sure that the USB stick was recognized and went through the process.   I had to go through three different sticks until I found one that read.  Using the GEL file that came with untility, nothing happened...  it would just go to lights on.  Using the updated GEL (from the quote above), seemed to work..  the Ch1 light flashed for a bit then the other lights came on.   I removed the stick and rebooted holding down the sixth button on the left as per the instructions but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I then plugged the DO back into my computer and the utility saw it instantly..  However,  when I click next, it will run for a bit then return the following error:

Unexpected Response Length

Code length not appropriate.
Wrong FW is used or communication error occurred.
Are you sure that you successfully flashed the modified firmware?

Refer to error log (ErrorLog.txt) for details

Any suggestions?     I'm a bit on shaky legs with all of this but it would sure be nice to get everything unlocked and running fast.

Thanks.

(btw...  I've been reading from back to front in this thread and haven't seen mention of this error yet...  If I've missed discussion on it, my apologies)

Edit:  it may be the restart that's causing the issue.  I keep reading where folks have to change the language back from Chinese, but mine never gets there.  Is there an alternate way to rest the DO?

Hi danander11 ,

I was having the same like you .. but i used another method of hacking , you can have alook into my message below on the other thread which you can follow in details .

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg577439/#msg577439
Good Day !
Hassan Elsabaa

Rigol DS2072A .. Hacked to 300 Mhz , Fluke 179

Offline dp

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
The DS2000A Upgrade Utility won't work on firmware 00.03, because it tries to downgrade it to 00.02 and the firmware doesn't allow downgrades. The utility is still useful as a SCPI console, if started in quick configuration mode (make sure it is connected to your scope). Here's how to do the upgrade in three simple steps:
  • Make a memory dump with the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432
    Make sure the input buffer is large enough to hold the reply. Set it to something like 100M to be on the safe side and note that the command takes a while to complete. At the end you will be asked to provide a file name for the memory dump, let's say dump.bin

• Use the program rigup (http://gotroot.ca/rigol/) to extract the correct license keys for the various upgrade options from your memory dump. When using one of these keys, remember to discard the dashes. Here's an example:

>rigup ds2072a dump.bin
    rigup ds2072a - Version 0.4

Serial number: DS2DXXXXXXXXX

NSEH:  Y79WUYX-LMN4SH4-4HSHLFE-F4GF6SM    All options, no bandwidth upgrade
    NSER:  7WS6DU3-XRFJ863-CYVJHUQ-XGN8J5M    All options, bandwidth 100 MHz
    NSEQ:  4788KWX-WWYZX42-SPSM4TY-ZH9YLSM    All options, bandwidth 200 MHz
    NS8H:  LXX46YY-VB2A9KR-878KD4R-4H6JKSM    All options, bandwidth 300 MHz

• Use the SCPI command :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall option_key, e.g. for option NS8H:
    :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall LXX46YYVB2A9KR878KD4R4H6JKSM

That's all.

The following users thanked this post: ssaenek

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:07 am »
Is there going to be a way for the utility to work on 03 versions of the scope?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2015, 03:20:25 am »
The DS2000A Upgrade Utility won't work on firmware 00.03, because it tries to downgrade it to 00.02 and the firmware doesn't allow downgrades. The utility is still useful as a SCPI console, if started in quick configuration mode (make sure it is connected to your scope). Here's how to do the upgrade in three simple steps:
  • Make a memory dump with the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432
    Make sure the input buffer is large enough to hold the reply. Set it to something like 100M to be on the safe side and note that the command takes a while to complete. At the end you will be asked to provide a file name for the memory dump, let's say dump.bin

• Use the program rigup (http://gotroot.ca/rigol/) to extract the correct license keys for the various upgrade options from your memory dump. When using one of these keys, remember to discard the dashes. Here's an example:

>rigup ds2072a dump.bin
    rigup ds2072a - Version 0.4

Serial number: DS2DXXXXXXXXX

NSEH:  Y79WUYX-LMN4SH4-4HSHLFE-F4GF6SM    All options, no bandwidth upgrade
    NSER:  7WS6DU3-XRFJ863-CYVJHUQ-XGN8J5M    All options, bandwidth 100 MHz
    NSEQ:  4788KWX-WWYZX42-SPSM4TY-ZH9YLSM    All options, bandwidth 200 MHz
    NS8H:  LXX46YY-VB2A9KR-878KD4R-4H6JKSM    All options, bandwidth 300 MHz

• Use the SCPI command :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall option_key, e.g. for option NS8H:
    :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall LXX46YYVB2A9KR878KD4R4H6JKSM

That's all.

I have done the SCPI thing and received a reply from the interface. How do I get rigup to work with the results?

Offline AintBigAintClever

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:38 am »
If your USB stick has an activity LED that doesn't show an awful lot when you first plug it in, just try unplugging it and putting it back in.

I use an SD card in an adapter to update my DS2000A. Pretty much every time it's a case of entering upgrade mode, plugging in the adapter, seeing no light on the adapter (not detected properly), unplugging the adapter and plugging back in again, at which point it sees it and the upgrade starts.

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
If your USB stick has an activity LED that doesn't show an awful lot when you first plug it in, just try unplugging it and putting it back in.

I use an SD card in an adapter to update my DS2000A. Pretty much every time it's a case of entering upgrade mode, plugging in the adapter, seeing no light on the adapter (not detected properly), unplugging the adapter and plugging back in again, at which point it sees it and the upgrade starts.

Yes, but if the firmware on the unit is newer than the one on the stick the 'upgrade' will not occur.

Offline Zandor

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »

Yes, but if the firmware on the unit is newer than the one on the stick the 'upgrade' will not occur.

I have never had a problem downgrading or upgrading.  I went from V3 to V2 and back several times when I first got the scope. 

Did something change in the very latest firmware?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »
I have tried several times with different USB drives and cannot get the firmware to load onto the scope. This is frustrating.

Offline Zandor

« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
I use a older 2GB USB drive and followed the instructions at the bottom of this message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158684/#msg158684

Are you able to install anything at all, even the same firmware over itself?

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
After more studying, I figured out that I can use the command line interface of netcat. I was able to get the keys from my scope using rigup. However, I can't get the options.txt file to generate using the command: rigup DS2072 DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

I get the error "unknown command. Try without arguments"

Please refer to my post here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg610593/#msg610593
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:12:30 am by bigone5500 »

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:17 pm »

rigup DS2072 DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

--A

This should read rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

I now have an Options.txt file with upgrade options listed.

Offline bigone5500

• Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »
I had a similar problem as many others with the SW 03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0 DS2072A, it refuses to load any older firmware while re-flashing the current version works just fine. As I read further on other threads, I came across https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/ thread and especially the discussion using the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? to get a memory dump.

I can confirm, the command  ":SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920, 13262848" works perfectly on my MSO 2072 A. The scope is connected via Lan cable.
SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2
The rigup.exe tool generates keys in miliseconds.

I used NCat to get the partial memory dump (address range likely varies between SW versions) from the scope, ran the rigup.exe included in the DS2000A upgrade utility, and it created the keys for my DS2072A. Sent the 200MHz key to scope with netcat again and 200MHz was unlocked. Total time start to finish was under 2 minutes.

echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin
rigup scan DS2072A_sdram.bin > EC-keys.txt
type Options.txt
echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555

--A

These instructions work easily if you understand them. I did not. However, when I figured it out, realized it was simple. Thanks for the help. I now have all options installed at 300MHz.

I installed netcat which is installed along with netmap GUI. https://nmap.org/download.html Go into your scope's interface and find the IP address of the scope and write it down if you wish. When you install netcat, it will also add a system variable which allows you to call it while in a command prompt from any directory. Review instructions on their website: https://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-exec. Open a command prompt in windows and type the first line of the instructions:

echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin

You will then have a .bin file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the second line of the instructions:

Rigup will scan the .bin file and create .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the third line of the instructions:

rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

Rigup will create options keys using the .bin file and you will then have another .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the fourth line to display the key options along with a description of what they unlock.

type Options.txt

If you opt to enter the key using the selector knob on your scope, you can disregard the last line but you can just as easily install the key via the command prompt with copy/paste functions. Highlight this line and copy/paste it into your command prompt. use the cursor keys to navigate and replace the green text with your info.

echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE ]5555

Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:46:06 pm by bigone5500 »

Offline Maurizio

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:12 am »
I have a DS 2102, sw 00.02.01 (00.02.00.00.04) and hw 2.0 (1.0.2.0.2), january 2014.
I tried exactly the procedure described by BIGONE5555 but the dump command line by ncat returns:
Idle timeout expired <1000 ms>

The IP number is right, ncat can scan the scope, but the dump file is 0 byte long.
As I know hw versions 2.0 and 2.2 are identical, I suppose the problem is in my sw that is 2.0 and not 3.x, so some parameters to put in the command are not the same.
I prefer, if I can, to try this route to unlock the scope, because it is less intrusive.

Questions:
1) There is a command line with parameters working with sw 2.0 (if this is the problem)?
2) If the problem is in the incompatibility of the procedure with the sw 2.X, where can I obtain the 3.x sw?

Many thanks

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:37 pm »
Would someone, please be kind enough to show us step by step what to do. There are noobs out there like me, who don’t want the DS2000A to brick up.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Maurizio

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:42 am »
Definitely lost in the sea of bytes of my DS2102A.
Trying to use the string:
:SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848
or so to dump the memory of my scope, I used the nmap scanning program as per instructions of some post ago, but it returns an error, but the lan connection is ok.
Then I tried to use the Ultra Sigma SCPI program and it works with other commands, but sending the string:
it returns an error.
I also investingating in the DS2000A programming guide to understand more precisely how to send commands to my scope, and found that only SYST is a documented command; no trace of UTIL and READ, perhaps they are undocumented commands.
But the realty is that the Whole command doesn't works for me |O |O

I hoped the well explained step by step process that Bigone 5500 wrote some posts ago would work, but nothing

So, please help: what is the trick?

Offline OldNeurons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49:33 am »
Definitely lost in the sea of bytes of my DS2102A.
Trying to use the string:
or so to dump the memory of my scope, I used the nmap scanning program as per instructions of some post ago, but it returns an error, but the lan connection is ok.
Then I tried to use the Ultra Sigma SCPI program and it works with other commands, but sending the string:
it returns an error.
I also investingating in the DS2000A programming guide to understand more precisely how to send commands to my scope, and found that only SYST is a documented command; no trace of UTIL and READ, perhaps they are undocumented commands.
But the realty is that the Whole command doesn't works for me |O |O

I hoped the well explained step by step process that Bigone 5500 wrote some posts ago would work, but nothing

So, please help: what is the trick?

I have a DS2102A delivered with Firmware revision 00.02.01.00.03, and was exactly in the same situation. No way to get the :SYS :UTIL command to work.
I finally decided to use the upgrade utility as proposed in this topic and it worked like a charm !

Many, many thanks to the author and all contributors.

It also seems to me that this :SYS:UTIL command is not supported on every firmware version, and would also appreciate to hear experience from other users.

Offline tomsaw

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:28 am »
Hi!
Please can you help me with my DS2000A aktivation.

I've tried many ways:
1. Upgrade Utilityhttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/
-> When it comes to Step "Connect the DS2000A to your Computer", it doesn't recognise my DS2102A-S. I've tried with and without "Sigma" installede
2. The ncat mem dump only works with FW 0.3.3 or  FW 0.3.0. When is Install something <0.3.0 ncat cant fetch any packets. I've made a 32MB and a 64MB mem dump from First Byte on. echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,66554432 and used rigup 0.4 under Linux and Windows i always get prompt error (within 0seconds!): "Scanning 'DS2102A_sdram.bin' failed: No keys"

My exact Scope Data:
Rigol DS2102A-S
Software version(actual): 00.03.03.01.00 - Upgrading and Downgrading works!
Hardware version: 1.2.2.0.2

Ive spent hours in this now  |O... You got any tipps, please? O0

Offline vladbrat

« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2015, 07:35:06 am »
 :clap: :clap: :-DD

My English is very bad.

I want to say thank you very much for your forum.
I have successfully activated your DS2072A

pls update DS2000     00.03.03.01.00
https://yadi.sk/d/YPfGSsxNfomqo
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:26:15 pm by vladbrat »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:45 am »
I had a similar problem as many others with the SW 03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0 DS2072A, it refuses to load any older firmware while re-flashing the current version works just fine. As I read further on other threads, I came across https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/ thread and especially the discussion using the SCPI command :SYST:UTIL:READ? to get a memory dump.

I can confirm, the command  ":SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920, 13262848" works perfectly on my MSO 2072 A. The scope is connected via Lan cable.
SW 3.0.SP1
HW 2.2
The rigup.exe tool generates keys in miliseconds.

I used NCat to get the partial memory dump (address range likely varies between SW versions) from the scope, ran the rigup.exe included in the DS2000A upgrade utility, and it created the keys for my DS2072A. Sent the 200MHz key to scope with netcat again and 200MHz was unlocked. Total time start to finish was under 2 minutes.

type Options.txt
echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555

--A

These instructions work easily if you understand them. I did not. However, when I figured it out, realized it was simple. Thanks for the help. I now have all options installed at 300MHz.

I installed netcat which is installed along with netmap GUI. https://nmap.org/download.html Go into your scope's interface and find the IP address of the scope and write it down if you wish. When you install netcat, it will also add a system variable which allows you to call it while in a command prompt from any directory. Review instructions on their website: https://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-exec. Open a command prompt in windows and type the first line of the instructions:

You will then have a .bin file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the second line of the instructions:

Rigup will scan the .bin file and create .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the third line of the instructions:

rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt

Rigup will create options keys using the .bin file and you will then have another .txt file in the root of your hard drive.

Type the fourth line to display the key options along with a description of what they unlock.

type Options.txt

If you opt to enter the key using the selector knob on your scope, you can disregard the last line but you can just as easily install the key via the command prompt with copy/paste functions. Highlight this line and copy/paste it into your command prompt. use the cursor keys to navigate and replace the green text with your info.

echo :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE ]5555

Thanks again guys.
Thanks man!
I just unlocked my DSO 2072A with 00.03.03 SP1 Hardware version: 2.0

This procedure was pretty straight forward and it worked for me. Connected the scope to my LAN with an ethernet cable, figured out which IP the Scope got from my DHCP.

Used the rigup from here: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/rigup-0.4.zip

The one modification I had to do was when you do: echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 15441920,13262848 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin

I had to modify and get the whole range because that limited (15441920,13262848) range didn't have my keys. I just did: echo :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432 | ncat -i 1 SCOPE_ADDRESS_HERE 5555 > DS2072A_sdram.bin  instead.

I would recommend everyone just grabs the full range since the place where the keys are in the memory of the scope will change with newer versions of firmware. In any case if you don't get grab them with the netcat, the rigup will tell you they are missing when you try to extract them. So no biggie.

Anyways, thanks everyone who was involved with coming up with the unlock! 300Mhz and all options unlocked   :-+

edit: actually I spoke too soon the 300Mhz option didn't work for me. It unlocked all the options but it didn't list the BW upgrades. So I entered the 200Mhz option and that one works. What gives? I have 2 other keys I didn't try. One (1st) gives options without BW upgrade, and the other one is just 100Hmz unlock with options. I guess 200Mhz is pretty good still.

edit2: ok I figured out what my issue was. I was using the old rigup-v1, with the new rigup (which I updated above), I got 300Mhz unlocked! Above link for rigup was updated to reflect the good version.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:31:59 am by Muxr »

Offline bartsx

• Contributor
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »
Another DS2027A got successfully updated.
First I used the classic approach with the USB firmware downgrade but couldn't find a suitable USB and it may wouldn't have worked anyway due to my HW/SW version (2.0/00.03.03.SP1) :--
But this approach worked like a charm.
I had to use the same memory range as Muxr since rigup couldn't find any keys in the regular range.
Thanks again to everybody who worked on this upgrade :-+ :clap: :-+
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:44:11 pm by bartsx »

Offline Fensterstock

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2015, 08:57:28 am »
Just upgraded my new DS2072A (SW03.03.SP2/HW2.0) to 300MHz.
Thank you all for the detailed instructions. :-+

One thing may be worth mentioning: At first I downloaded the rigup-0.4.1-x86_64-linux.gz binary but this version does not work. It just says "no keys" and thats it. You have to use the binary in the rigup-0.4.zip file. Took me quite some time to figure that out...

Offline brint.corb

• Contributor
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2015, 01:38:53 am »
Thanks to everybody here.  My ds2072a is now running at 200 MHz.  At least that what it says  ???.   Given the 2GaS/s rate I see no need to push it to 300.

I had to use the memory range 1 to 33 million something as suggested by muxr.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf