Author Topic: Looking for a budget bipolar bench PSU  (Read 3953 times)

Offline LektroiDTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
Looking for a budget bipolar bench PSU
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:38 pm »
I have an analogue bench psu (Isotech IPS2302A) which can be configured in series for bipolar use. Since it has an analogue output meter, I need to use a DVM for accuracy each time I alter the voltage, which is time consuming. So I'm looking for something digital, not too expensive, but nothing shite either. It must have bipolar option (-/G/+). I was looking at the Rigol DP832, but seems it doesn't go bipolar.

Common voltages required are
(+/G/-) 15VDC
(+/G/-) 12VDC
(+/-) 5VDC

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a budget bipolar bench PSU
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »
How about replacing the analog panel meters with digital ones?

Offline Ghydda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
He wants to punch in numbers, not fiddle knobs to set his voltages.
If we learn from our mistakes then I reckon I'm getting a great education!

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:26 pm »
How about replacing the analog panel meters with digital ones?

I'd love to do something like this, but don't really know the best way to go about it.

Isotech do make a digital version of this PSU, but it's a little outside my price range...

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
Your title is misleading.  That is not a bipolar power supply, it is a dual (tracking?) power supply.  What is your actual budget?

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
I have an analogue bench psu (Isotech IPS2302A) which can be configured in series for bipolar use. Since it has an analogue output meter, I need to use a DVM for accuracy each time I alter the voltage, which is time consuming. So I'm looking for something digital, not too expensive, but nothing shite either. It must have bipolar option (-/G/+). I was looking at the Rigol DP832, but seems it doesn't go bipolar.

(+/G/-) 15VDC
(+/G/-) 12VDC
(+/-) 5VDC

Of course you can generate a positive and negative supply with the DP832. You just have to connect + and - of Ch1 and Ch2 and use it as ground reference. On the remaining negative socket will be you negative rail and the positive on the positive socket.
To adjust both voltages at the same time, you can set CH2 to track CH1. (Or vice versa, but same difference)

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »

(+/G/-) 15VDC
(+/G/-) 12VDC
(+/-) 5VDC

You should probably figure out how accurate a supply you need, as that will have a large effect on price. Analogue meters don't mean inaccurate and digital readouts certainly don't guarantee accuracy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »
Your title is misleading.  That is not a bipolar power supply, it is a dual (tracking?) power supply.  What is your actual budget?

My apologies, this is what I mean by a bipolar power supply...

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32448.0

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
Most digital meters on PSUs are just as inaccurate as analog meters. You'll need at least 4.5 digit meters in order to get a useful reading. Try to set 3.3V with just one decimal digit  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »
As stated above, you can do this with the DP832 by putting the two 30v channels in series and using the center as "ground". It supports tracking.

I also have an E3631a that is specifically designed for tracking and operates similar to the DP832 except the return current path can be independent across ch1 and ch2 on the Rigol.

The E3630a also does tracking, but does not have current limiting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:26:46 pm by dadler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf