Author Topic: Calibration of DS1052E? not self cal  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Calibration of DS1052E? not self cal
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:39:55 am »
So, I now have the DS1052E and the DS1054Z, both for a long time. The DS1054Z seems to be within spec for me, but the DS1052E is out quite a bit on at least frequency measurement. The self cal routine does nothing to fix this of course.

Does anyone know how to do a full calibration of the DS1052E? Does this need to go to Rigol for a full re-cal? I know that their multimeters have to back to Rigol so I suspect this needs to go to them too.

This might actually be one of Rigol's Achilles heals. If no one but them can do re-cals on their equipment because they won't release the information, then maybe it is time to reconsider buying anything from them.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: Calibration of DS1052E? not self cal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 03:00:16 am »
According to the service manual: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/service%20manuals/Service_Guide_DS1000E.pdf

Any calibration center that has a FLUKE 9500B calibration instrument should be able to do it.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:46:29 am »
Yes I have the service manual. The manual only shows how to check, with some special software and a $20,000 piece of equipment, if the oscilloscope is in spec. There is no procedure stated nor program provided or listed to actually do the re-cal. They only say that if you have any problems to contact Rigol....

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:04:24 am »
there's a difference between calibrating and adjusting, which is why you got the answer you got.

I'd imagine that only Rigol can do the adjustment to get it back in spec if a self-cal is not successful. A calibration will tell you if if is in/out of spec, which is what you need the Fluke 9500B or similar for.

But look up the specs of the frequency counter function first, maybe it's not supposed to be as accurate as you expect it to be.

Regarding adjustment, I think you'll have to send it back for service. At least I have not seen any public information. Maybe Someone who is familiar with the firmware (e.g. Drieg) has more information.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
If the 1052E doesn't have a hardware frequency counter then it's counting samples (or maybe even pixels) between zero crossings, which is bloody inaccurate. (But precise enough for most applications).

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »
I went through a DIY "factory" cal procedure for my Owon SDS7102. It may not be directly relevant, but hopfully, it may still serve as a reference and point to a possible direction to work on.

The procedure relies on the findings by others (including this forum) for the steps to en/decrypt files and sending them from PC to the DSO.

For cal purposes, the file to send is an ASCII configuration file (tx file) that contains all the cal constants (more than 100) and a switch setting to change the DSO between the normal and factory modes.

Once, the DSO is set to the factory mode, some DSO buttons are functioning for adjusting different cal constants, and a DC volt source  can be used to match the BNC input and the display.

The hard part for me is to get an initial configuration file that is close enough to the correct one and to understand how each constant is used in what fomula based on its literal name. It was a guess work since my DSO was bricked and I do not know how to get files from the DSO to PC.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:53:19 pm by onlooker »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »
there's a difference between calibrating and adjusting, which is why you got the answer you got.

Yes I know, I was using the colloquial meaning. I should have been more exact in my phrasing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf