Author Topic: DSA815 front end input risk  (Read 3966 times)

Offline dadlerTopic starter

• Supporter
DSA815 front end input risk
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:27 pm »
Hi all-

I have a DSA815-TG.

I also recently picked up the tekbox near field probes that Dave semi-reviewed in a mailbag segment:

http://www.tekbox.net/test-equipment/tbps01-emc-near-field-probes-tbwa2-wideband-amplifier

I have the TBWA2/40db set with the 40db amplifier.

Is there any risk in connecting these directly up to (with or without the amplifier) the front-end of the DSA815?

I have a full-set of mini-circuits 2W attenuators, but would prefer to not use them unless necessary.

I ask because I've seen a few posts recently mentioning things like static electricity frying the front-end of SA's. The DSA815 has a blocking cap on the frontend, but I don't know if that ameliorates most of the risk in this context.

I also had one of the near field probes hooked up through the 40db amplifier, and I was trying to demodulate FM radio into the headphone jack (just for fun). The DSA818 would sporadically report "412 DA overrange due to volume adjustment in FM.". I have no idea what this error means, and I couldn't find any references to it on the web. Hope it doesn't mean I broke something.

I know essentially nothing about RF and bought the DSA815 mainly as a learning tool, so be gentle (if possible).

Thanks,

Dustin

Offline Farley

• Regular Contributor
Re: DSA815 front end input risk
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:55 pm »
The maximum input level is noted just underneath the RF input connector on the DSA815. There it states that the maximum input level is +20dBm. You do not want to exceed that specification.

Offline dadlerTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: DSA815 front end input risk
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:58:10 am »
Sure, that's the max power level. It also states max 50v DC. I'm going to assume the power rating is for all power/frequencies, not just those measured by the SA. Without a power meter I don't see how I can truly know if I am overdriving the input of the SA.

Aurora posted in another thread recently that he felt static electricity could fry the front-end of SAs.

I'm not so sure about this, so I started this thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf