Author Topic: DSO2000X memory extension & bus decoding option  (Read 34197 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: DSO2000X memory extension & bus decoding option
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
I.. don't think that happens... And even if people are silly enough to expect manufacturer support, what of it? Not like they're going to get it. It's about choice, I guess... manufacturer support, or hacking/customisation. And only people who have no idea what they're doing would blame a manufacturer for problems in third party firmware.

But with the communications revolution came the ability for a single disgruntled person to sew the seed to publicly damaging the reputation of a company, rightly or wrongly. Companies have to be more careful these days with stuff like this.
IMHO this is simply not true. Take the Tektronix TLA700 series (and current logic analysers) as an example. Tektronix has an API to control the logic analyser through DCOM (.Net) so you can actually control the logic analyser through an Excel sheet or any application. Even remotely over the network if you want. C++ examples are also included. There are several third parties which develop support packages and hardware for analysing memory busses. All in all there is an entire eco system of third party and self made software for use with these machines.

In the end it would make sense to have some kind of scripting inside an oscilloscope and be able to display the result. Most scopes have automatic measurements. It would be great if you could script your own.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hammil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 12:08:29 pm »
All in all there is an entire eco system of third party and self made software for use with these machines.

Which can make them /really/ popular :)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
IMHO this is simply not true.

Indeed it is not true.

Take the Tektronix TLA700 series

Or take LeCroy.  http://teledynelecroy.com/options/productseries.aspx?mseries=289&groupid=144

*  Create and run your own custom measurement and math algorithms

*  Supports MATLAB, C/C++, Visual Basic Script, VBA, MS Excel and JavaScript

*  Fully and uniquely integrated into the scope processing architecture and display

*  Optimizes custom algorithm processing speed by using a shared memory window

*  Oscilloscope or other instrument/software control commands can be simultaneously embedded into customized algorithms

*  CustomDSO and plug-in capability allows user-defined graphical user interfaces

Unsurpassed Customized Integration

LeCroy oscilloscopes incorporates a fast, robust COM-based architecture that provides a level of fully-integrated customization that simply cannot be approached by any other oscilloscope. User-defined algorithms can be created and inserted into the oscilloscope processing engine and the result returned as a processed function or measurement that can be displayed like any other oscilloscope trace and further processed by internal or user-defined algorithms.

Or take Tektronix:

http://www.tek.com/technology/using-matlab-tektronix-instruments

Matlab directly running on oscilloscopes, too.
Custom Data Analysis with Performance Real-Time Oscilloscopes;  Using MATLAB with Tektronix DPO/MSO5000, DPO7000 & DPO/DSA/MSO70000 Series Real-time Oscilloscopes is easier with functions integrated within the MATH operation of the oscilloscopes. This capability enables custom MATLAB analysis and visualization functions directly into the oscilloscope measurement system.

Not enough examples? What about Agilent?

http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-1559383/matlab-data-analysis-software-for-oscilloscopes

Install and execute MATLAB directly on the 9000, 90000 or 90000 X Series or 86100D ...

So to all those "it is the end of the world", "it must not be done": Get over it. It is already available off the shelf from the big players.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 12:33:20 pm »
Select your free 2000 X-Series oscilloscope software

2000 X-series softwareIf you received an offer for an exclusive free upgrade for your new Agilent 2000 X-Series oscilloscope, you've come to the right place to claim your upgrade.

To proceed, you must have received your new scope. Simply register your information in the form below, enter your oscilloscope’s model number and serial number, and select the free upgrades you would like to add to your scope from the list below.

If you are an eligible customer under this program, you will receive an email within 2 business days containing the installation instructions and license key that will enable your selected upgrades.

Employees of Agilent Technologies, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, and competitors, and immediate family members of each, are not eligible. Limit one free upgrade per customer. Offer good only for residents of the the US and Canada.

How annoying, it's no fun being discriminated against. What to buy?

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
  • ~ Life is too short for QRP ~
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
My reseller told me that the options are available and there will be a firmware upgrade mid April.

Offline Franz Zinn

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
From the horses mouth :

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5990-7668EN.pdf

Agilent's industry comparison literature between Hameg HMOs  and DSOX 2000 lists that latter as having serial decoding and 1Mpts memory.

I am still waiting to find the prices. Looks like I have to rethink my choice of Hameg 2024  in greater detail if the Agilent prices for serial decoding and memory upgrade are attractive.

I wonder how often does an average amateur end up having to search for an elusive glitch in his project to make it worth paying for the premium on the refresh rate of the X2000.

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 08:29:51 pm »
Some distributors like Farnell have the prices online.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
From the horses mouth :

Agilent's industry comparison literature between Hameg HMOs  and DSOX 2000 lists that latter as having serial decoding and 1Mpts memory.

I am still waiting to find the prices. Looks like I have to rethink my choice of Hameg 2024  in greater detail if the Agilent prices for serial decoding and memory upgrade are attractive.

I wonder how often does an average amateur end up having to search for an elusive glitch in his project to make it worth paying for the premium on the refresh rate of the X2000.
Whoa! So does that apply to the MSOX2000's as well? Just bought an MSOX2024A and I wonder if it'll come with the 1Mpts deeper memory. Or is that added functionality going to come with the new firmware?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »
Whoa! So does that apply to the MSOX2000's as well? Just bought an MSOX2024A and I wonder if it'll come with the 1Mpts deeper memory. Or is that added functionality going to come with the new firmware?

I doubt it - the eBay ad says 100kPts.

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »
According to my local distributor there will be a new firmware release mid April

But the 1M is only available when you upgrade with DSOX2MEMUP

Offline GunbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 09:18:21 pm »
From the horses mouth :

I mean, it's well known that the Agilent has got higher refresh rates, but the discussion about these scopes is not new. Few years ago at mikrocontroller.net this issue was also discussed, and the former product manager of Hameg made a list comparing a few details more. The wfm/s discussion has taken place a few times. To my opinion this is not the most important feature for daily use as for instance the sensitivity.

Agilent does not have real 1mV/DIV, it's scaled (also mentioned in Agilent's datasheet), the HMO series has got real 1mv/DIV with very low noise level. And there are more functions included, options are cheaper.

Nothing against Agilent, but they're more expensive and I don't know if it is really helpful to have an function generator included. I would prefer a decent external arbitrary generator instead a compromise. Also the voltmeter - for what? Would like to see more memory without the need to buy an option.

Only my opinion.

Attached a pdf with another comparison - sorry, German only.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »
Can anyone explain to me how this deal works:

https://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?ckey=2308179&lc=por&cc=BR

Who qualifies for this exactly?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:04 pm »
Hameg is a compact scope good for digital work. The 1mV/div is good. It has no Trig Out, but you might hardly ever need it, so no problem...
On the other hand, Agilent DSOX2000 probably has no search or place mark function. Maybe it will change after the DSOX2MEMUP?? Nevertheless, Hameg is more feature-rich.
Anyway, does any scope by Agilent have real 1mV/div? It seems that not.  :--
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:26 pm »

You have to pay extra for the 1M memory option.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:16 pm »

You have to pay extra for the 1M memory option.
Yea thats what I figured. No chance in getting in on whatever this deal is huh?

Im waiting to hear back from Agilent's eBay seller about pricing on the deeper memory. They usually discount quite well from what I have seen if you ask.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »

Fill in the form and see if it works!

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 11:01:26 pm »

Fill in the form and see if it works!
Oh believe me I will do, but I dont have my MSOX2024A in hand yet as I just ordered it last night. Was just curious if anyone else had tried it and how it played out for them. Regardless Ill give it a go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:05:21 pm by ben_r_ »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:54 pm »
Oh believe me I will do, but I dont have my MSOX2024B in hand yet

"B"? Typo?

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:50 pm »
Oh believe me I will do, but I dont have my MSOX2024B in hand yet

"B"? Typo?
Yep, I was kicking around going for an MSO7014B and then have been researching scopes for the pact couple of weeks and bouncing back and forth between Tektronix and Agilent all the model numbers are getting mixed up in my head! But yes I meant A and have changed it in my post, thanks for the catch!

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »
Well Agilent Used via eBay does not have access to sell the DSOX2MEMUP upgrade unfortunately, so no deal there. Ill have to find somewheresomehow else to get it cheaper. I can however confirm that when I got the Sales Order Acknowledgement (SOA) from Agilent for my Certi Prime/Premium Used MSOX2024A they did include in the description and quote a 5 year warranty over the standard/old 3 year warranty, so now Ive got it in writing :) Not bad for a basically brand new unit with all packaging and base accessories for $1850. Only downside is it wont get to me until May 4th they said. Slooooooooow shipping from Malaysia.

Now Im working on getting the DSOXLAN VGA/LAN module for $150. We'll see how it goes...

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
Not sure whether this video has been posted yet:

Looks like the 2000X gets the search & navigation capabilities as well as the full set of serial decodes.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »
Thanks for the video.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 04:27:29 pm »
Doesnt seem to have pricing yet:

http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-2252460-pn-DSOX2000-LSS/embedded-serial-triggering-and-analysis-ic-spi-for-infiniivision-2000-x-series-oscilloscopes?cc=US&lc=eng

However it looks like they are running a promotion right now until Sept 30th, 2013 for buy one get one free on software upgrades.

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2309757&nid=-33573.970736.00&id=2309757

Awesome for me considering I was going to buy three or four of the upgrades anyway!

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:08 pm »
Retail pricing per my vendor is $500 for the decodes and $200 for the memory upgrade.  That's full retail pricing mind you so some discounting is to be expected.

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »
Doesnt seem to have pricing yet:

http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-2252460-pn-DSOX2000-LSS/embedded-serial-triggering-and-analysis-ic-spi-for-infiniivision-2000-x-series-oscilloscopes?cc=US&lc=eng

However it looks like they are running a promotion right now until Sept 30th, 2013 for buy one get one free on software upgrades.

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2309757&nid=-33573.970736.00&id=2309757

Awesome for me considering I was going to buy three or four of the upgrades anyway!

Only not for buyers in Europe...
So waiting for an offer...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf