Author Topic: DSO203 handheld Aluminium Digital Oscillo?scope .Is it worthy?  (Read 6895 times)

Offline kerrinalTopic starter

• Contributor
My friend just ask me for the DSO203 handheld scope.Is it cheap for the DSO203,Let's talk about it.I just find a dso203 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271160345410&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Its bandwidth isn't listed anywhere, only its sample rate, which is 36MSPS. This means that We'll be limited to 18MHz signals in theory, but in practice maybe about 5MHz. Then there is the question of the analog bandwidth of the input amplifiers, which typically needs to be bigger as well, since the bandwidth is specified by the 3db amplitude drop. Rule of thumb is that the amplitude should be 10 times the bandwidth needed.

The analog bandwidth for the DSO203 is listed as 30 MHz (and noted further by: "Analog channel circuit using unity gain >150MHz") and the sampling rate is adjustable up to 72MHz. They provide schematics if you don't believe them (I don't take much on faith, but that is what they claim and unless someone wants to model that, I have no better info). That being said, even your reply indicates use above audio frequencies, at least 3 orders of magnitude more actually.

I used to determine 36 MHz -> 5 MHz RTBW in practice. SinX/X interpolation requires a factor of 2.5. That is, a digitizer running at 36 MHz (or 18 MHz quadrature) will be suitable to provide 36 / 2.5 = 14.4 MHz of real-time bandwidth, provided suitable analog circuitry exists. Oscilloscopes often have much higher sample rates to ensure higher rate signals do not alias (3dB, which you are correct about, is not sufficient rejection).

Again, not saying this is a worse deal or a worthwhile piece of test equipment, but we really need to know Whether it is useful for us.after all,it is just a handheld oscilloscope.If you need much more function or powerful scope. you can choose owon or siglent brand scope.but you really need to use caution with your statements like "Its [sic] of useful ( or useless) above ___"... People just might think you are providing reliable advice.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DSO203 handheld Aluminium Digital Oscillo?scope .Is it worthy?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:22 am »
I have this:

and I find it annoying not to have physical knobs for the adjustments. And mind you, I do have separate buttons for each adjustment. That tiny DSO you linked has neither. The screen is small, interface probably sucks. It's gonna be a royal PITA to use. No proper BNC jacks, so if you break the probes or the connector you're screwed. Max 80Vpp on the input ... the performance is crap, but for audio and sub 1Mhz it's probably ok as a waveform viewer. BUT THE PRICE? Paying 170$ for that is just crazy.

If you don't trust , listen to a beginer then: don't buy that POS crap!

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:27:19 am »
I just find the scope on ebay DSO1060 .But it charge 346 bucks and 51$ shipping fee.That's too much

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:11 am »
do not buy this unless you already got one or two decent scopes and you just want a spare unit in your on-the-road-toolbox. This thing is only usable for checking if there is any signal at all. It is nothing for serious measurement.
Trust my words: if you buy this, you will go and buy a real scope as soon as you have the money for this and you will hate yourself not listening to us and throwing your money out of the window on this DSO203 (or similar).

So, just save you money buy not buying this crap and get a real scope.

If a Rigol DS2072 is too expensive for you right now, get a Rigol DS1052 or a Hantek DSO5062 instead. They should be OK for you and you can always sell them for a good price.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:56:53 am by PeterK13 »

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:57 am »
Complete waste of money. You'll hate it.
Also take a look at mikeselectricstuff on youtube where he reviewed a variant of this.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »
I just find the scope on ebay DSO1060 .But it charge 346 bucks and 51$ shipping fee.That's too much

I wasn't implying you should buy it. I just used the DSO8060 for comparison because that's what I have.

Buy a second hand analog scope (2ch, 20...60Mhz) or save for a cheap yet proper DSO (Rigol, Hantek, Siglent, Owon etc)

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »
Didnt Dave do a video review on one of these handheld pocket deals. Yea def a waste of money, just save up a bit more and buy a proper entry level scope.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:51 am »
How about the DSO 201.It just about 60 bucks.pocket size digital storage oscilloscope. ARM Cortex-M3 compatible 32 bit platform compatible/

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:19:23 am »
All of these pocket oscilloscopes are toys,junk, and unsafe over 30V. They are most likely to mislead you rather than assist. Cheap junk for fun, if that's all you want.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:51:30 am »
How about the DSO 201.It just about 60 bucks.pocket size digital storage oscilloscope. ARM Cortex-M3 compatible 32 bit platform compatible/
The price is right on this one, but it's still a toy. Might as well use your PC sound card for signals within audio bandwidth, and that's free ;).

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:46:27 am »
they both crap and both not worth the money. The QDSO/203 crap wasn't even wort more than 57USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200932930155

so no thanks (and btw don't get confused with all what "kerrinal" is posting, he seems to make some advertisement for his crap ebay shops)
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf