Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106959 times)

Offline scarysparks

+1 for the patched firmware

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
found this very long Youtube video on following url.  useful for Corrupted NAND.

Offline orbital

Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #3077 on: November 16, 2022, 02:48:27 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a DSO X 3024A that won't boot (lights turn on REF and MATH without progressing into the OS), and was wondering if i can boot the official firmware off a usb drive with the intention of then reflashing the entire system? The firmware is very likely not updated on the scope from 2017 at the latest, and I'm pretty sure this is NAND corruption.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3078 on: November 16, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »
Yes, that definitely sounds like NAND corruption. I don't think booting directly from USB will work because the boot process likely fails before that. However, there is a good chance that you can fix the problem using the serial console.

For more details, see this guide by titiris: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg2136181/#msg2136181

Some notes:
- The firmware link in the guide is dead, look here instead: https://xdevs.com/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/DSOX/
- dosetup.py needs (old) Python 2
- IMHO the content of the infiniivision.lnk should be
Code: [Select]
44#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionLauncher.exe- You need to use firmware 2.35 (or older) to prepare nk.nb0 and the Secure folder, but you could upgrade directly to 2.65 instead of 2.35 if you want to (rename .ksx to .cab and put it on USB stick).
- After you are done, don't forget to unplug USB stick (turn off first). It still has the startup override on it, so it may prevent booting.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 09:43:33 pm by switchabl »

The following users thanked this post: orbital

Offline orbital

« Reply #3079 on: November 18, 2022, 03:41:47 pm »
Thank you so much, that was tremendously helpful as I was succesfuly able to get into firmware 2.35, from there I immediately tried to write the latest firmware  2.65 after changing the extension to .cab and writing it to the same USB drive. It seemed to write properly as I could see the correct splash screen, however I think I'm caught in a boot loop. I was able to grab the log from teraterm if it's at all useful and have linked a video showing the behaviour, please let me know what you think.

I did use:
Code: [Select]
44#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionLauncher.exe

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:48:38 pm by orbital »

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3080 on: November 18, 2022, 04:08:44 pm »
Yes, looks like the NAND is fixed and at least the Windows image is booting cleanly but the oscilloscope application is not running. Just to be sure, did you remove the USB drive? This behaviour looks like the startup override could still be active.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3081 on: November 18, 2022, 04:14:43 pm »
I'd guess there is an invalid .lnk file sitting in there from a previous hack, or maybe placed there in error during repair.
VE7FM

Offline orbital

« Reply #3082 on: November 18, 2022, 04:24:01 pm »
Yes, looks like the NAND is fixed and at least the Windows image is booting cleanly but the oscilloscope application is not running. Just to be sure, did you remove the USB drive? This behaviour looks like the startup override could still be active.
I did put both cab files (2.35 and 2.65) on the same flash drive, and i just tried "48#\Secure\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe", however the 'go' command takes me to the 2.65 spasl screen where with nothing else happening, so I'm not sure what is happening there.

The first time round (as shown in the youtube link + previously attached log) was transfer made, go command executed, then inside oscilloscope OS, called utility to update to 2.65, then the rest is logged as I showed you. I didn't remove the USB stick, should I have? Now I come to think of it, that override with 'true' is still in the stick, let me try removing it.. aaaand it's fixed.

I could kiss you.. (and titiris and all the others who made really helpful documentation). There's no way I could have caught this all myself. Thank you SO much. 

Now to figure out how to retrieve the licence that was purchased years ago for the wave generator. Was it quite easy to hack/unlock this scope ? Edit: wave generator still works. Hooray

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3083 on: November 18, 2022, 07:23:27 pm »
Happy to hear everything worked out!  :)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3084 on: December 07, 2022, 09:31:54 pm »
I'm seeing some noise about the MSOX3000G online (Youtube recommendation, and distributor websites).

ISTBC, but as far as I can tell the main difference between the G and the T is.... drum roll... a dark grey enclosure as opposed to a beige one. Looks like some of the serial triggers/decoders are thrown in as standard, but with a price hike over the T to reflect that.

Is there any functional benefit of this new scope?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3085 on: December 07, 2022, 10:19:43 pm »
I'm seeing some noise about the MSOX3000G online (Youtube recommendation, and distributor websites).

ISTBC, but as far as I can tell the main difference between the G and the T is.... drum roll... a dark grey enclosure as opposed to a beige one. Looks like some of the serial triggers/decoders are thrown in as standard, but with a price hike over the T to reflect that.

All I could see is that it has some kind of histogram mode.. That is only capability difference...
Rest is only some free options.. Which is nice, but no new capability.
So no need for me to consider upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:21:20 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3086 on: December 08, 2022, 06:32:10 pm »

All I could see is that it has some kind of histogram mode.. That is only capability difference...
Rest is only some free options.. Which is nice, but no new capability.
So no need for me to consider upgrade.

Yes, I noticed that, I wasn't sure if this was part of a more recent firmware upgrade or not on the 3000T.

It's a feature that'd been on the Tek MDO3000 for some time. The MDO3000 has always had more features than the MSOX3000, but the Tek's UI is just so painful! Thus, Keysight Infiniivisions remain my goto scopes and the Teks fill in about 20% of the time when I need a feature lacking on the Keysights like histograms or triple bus decodes for example.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tru3533

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3087 on: December 10, 2022, 02:32:42 am »
Anyone who can help with patched firmware and .lnk file for the 2000X?

I bought an DSOX2002A with corrupted NAND and got it working with titris/switchabl instructions, v2.35 and serial cable
Don't have lan cable yet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 02:35:15 am by tru3533 »

Offline Andrew Seltzman

• RTFTechnologies
« Reply #3088 on: December 11, 2022, 05:13:20 am »
I'm looking for a copy of PhillyFlyers patched 2.65 firmware for the DSOX2004A, if anyone could PM me the link I'd appreciate it :-+

Edit: thanks all, scope upgraded :) Interestingly, I didn't have to update the Infiniivision.lnk file, just loading the patched 2.65 firmware enabled all licenses
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 09:32:22 pm by Andrew Seltzman »

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3089 on: December 12, 2022, 03:20:52 am »
I couldn't find anyone that had proven you could hack the DSOX3012A from 100MHz to 200MHz, and Keysight specifically doesn't offer that option on the 2 channel version, but I can confirm it does work.  Rise time was measured right at 1.7ns and -3dB was very roughly measured to be approximately 225MHz.  Side note, it was able to count frequencies well past that, for example 800MHz.

Offline Gajets

« Reply #3090 on: December 16, 2022, 04:00:59 pm »
I'm looking for a copy of PhillyFlyers patched 2.65 firmware for the DSOX2004A, if anyone could PM me the link I'd appreciate it :-+

Edit: thanks all, scope upgraded :) Interestingly, I didn't have to update the Infiniivision.lnk file, just loading the patched 2.65 firmware enabled all licenses

i would also greatly appreciated a Patched  2.65 firmware  for the dsox3024a,  if anyone could PM me the link.

Really, guys I salvaged a dsox3024a a former employer gave me.  and would love to enable all options. I also have a msox2024a that was purchased with all options enabled and i would like the 3024a the same way..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 02:38:11 am by Gajets »

Offline mc_engineering

« Reply #3091 on: December 18, 2022, 05:51:03 pm »
Hi, I am also highly interested in the latest patched 2.65 firmware.

My DSO-X2012A is currently running 2.35 directly of an USB-stick. Setup back in 2014

i just recoverd form a shock, after realizing that the usb drive went missing during mooving and the scope wouldn boot without it. fortunatly i was able to find the backup on an old PC and got the scope to boot again.

So if any one still needs 2.35 for some reason, let me know.

By the way, can the newer firmwares use the digital MSO chanals for serial decoding? couldnt finde anything in the changelog about it.
Or is it a license Option? I Got used to that feature on a Tektronix mso.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3092 on: December 18, 2022, 07:00:55 pm »
By the way, can the newer firmwares use the digital MSO chanals for serial decoding? couldnt finde anything in the changelog about it.
Or is it a license Option? I Got used to that feature on a Tektronix mso.

Sadly, no. In fact, you can't even use serial decode (on the analog inputs) and the digital channels at the same time. This is supposedly a hardware limitation on the 2000 series which had no serial decoding at all when it was first released (unlike the 3000 series).

There are some 3000 series features that you can enable (using the --perf option), like measurement statistics and event search, even though they were never officially available even as a licensed option. But serial decode on digital channels is not one of them.

The following users thanked this post: mc_engineering

Offline Feuerbard

• Contributor
« Reply #3093 on: December 26, 2022, 10:02:32 pm »
Plz anyone send me in PM link for PhillyFlyers patched 2.65 firmware for 3000a series  , I have 3012 with 2.35 firmware

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline marektux

Can anyone please share patched firmware for DSOX3000T Series.

If anyone has official firmware for DSOX3000T different than 7.56.20221202 please share it too.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 02:00:35 pm by marektux »

Offline bermshot

Does anyone have a copy of 3000XSeries.02.12.2012041800.cab?

Offline kada

• Contributor
Does anybody have the patched PhillyFlyers 2.65 firmware for 3000A ? I would appreciate it if anybody can PM it to me. Thanks.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Does anybody have the patched PhillyFlyers 2.65 firmware for 3000A ? I would appreciate it if anybody can PM it to me. Thanks.
It may have escaped your observations but we can't attach files to PM's......and fair enough too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mhsprang

• Contributor
Hi All,

My MSO-X 2014A appears to have the NAND flash problem too, but the recovery procedure using U-boot over the serial port doesn't work for me.

The last output of U-boot is:

ProcessStartupFolder: \usb\Startup\
                                   running \usb\Startup\infiniivision.lnk...
Ending ProcessStartupFolder

and then "the line went dead". Complete lockup of the console and the splash screen is visible.

So it looks like my NAND flash is too corrupted to recover.
Unfortunately, Keysight no longer seems to repair this for free. I got a quote for a board replacement for a whopping €3362! When I purchased this 2014 back in 2014(!), it cost me around €2230 new at Farnell. Must be the inflation.

So I think this is a farewell moment to Keysight for me...

Best,
Meindert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf