Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106598 times)

msliva and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Weird, I haven't got it work yet, wonder why dunkemhigh's board is working. Maybe I should send mine to dunkemhigh to compare in his scope?

The board is here and in my scope. It works exactly the same as my board does - that is, there is no discernable problem. I don't get any warning on boot, and I can do the full remote control stuff without error.

This kind of suggests that mys scope is somehow different from everyone elses. I guess I could flog it with a $200 markup like that chap flogging E4's :)

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
I don't have any problems with Telnet login.

But here the first login fail and the second login is working with putty.

I used kitty but same thing: first no, second yes no problem. I remember I powered the scope down disconnect the AC main and redo the test, it started no problem immediately. As far I remember in my case the problem was just the first telnet after the upgrade to 2.37. It could be I'm wrong...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Weird, I haven't got it work yet, wonder why dunkemhigh's board is working. Maybe I should send mine to dunkemhigh to compare in his scope?

The board is here and in my scope. It works exactly the same as my board does - that is, there is no discernable problem. I don't get any warning on boot, and I can do the full remote control stuff without error.

This kind of suggests that mys scope is somehow different from everyone elses. I guess I could flog it with a $200 markup like that chap flogging E4's :)
Well, that explains why I couldnt find any error.. still, not being the only one with the error there must be something we're overlooking?  :-//

When I'm home, I'll write down the serial of my scope, maybe by comparing we can figure out if it's a hardware thing? Too bad I dont know anybody with an original module to try and see if that works or not..

Offline mischo22

I have the solution for the brocken web Interface when the firmware is startet from usb-stick:

Copy the file "/infiniivision/upgrade/infiniiVisionWebCom.dll" from the USB-stick to "/infiniivision" on the stick.
The Webinterface works fine now.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
The Webinterface works fine now.

Smart work, that man  :-+

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
... I ... wonder why dunkemhigh's board is working. Maybe I should send mine to dunkemhigh to compare...

This kind of suggests that my scope is somehow different from everyone else...

Well, that explains why I couldnt find any error.. still, not being the only one with the error there must be something we're overlooking?  :-//

When I'm home, I'll write down the serial of my scope, maybe by comparing we can figure out if it's a hardware thing? Too bad I dont know anybody with an original module to try and see if that works or not..

I too have been unsuccessful in getting either of my dunkemhigh boards to work.
Before going after serial numbers, perhaps it is a difference between the different scopes models themselves (2000A vs 3000A, or even 100MHz vs 500MHz). There should be no difference between DSOX and MOSX, as both models are the same, only the MSOX has been software enabled on the later.

What models are successful users of dunkemhigh LAN boards using them in?
And what models are unsuccessful users of dunkemhigh LAN boards using them in?
I'm using an MSOX3054A, and I have no issues when using an actual Agilent DSOXLAN module.

I believe dunkemhigh has a 2000A. Is anyone with a 3000A successful in using a dunkemhigh LAN card?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:57:03 pm by iRad »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
I believe dunkemhigh has a 2000X

Yes, it is a DSO-X 2004A. Maybe that A is significant.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
I believe dunkemhigh has a 2000X

Yes, it is a DSO-X 2004A. Maybe that A is significant.

I think they are all "A" models... My model number has now been appended with the "A".

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Mine is an msox2024a and my home made lan board works perfectly.

I've mentioned this before...

The dunkemhigh board has one issue that doesn't follow the original design. The original agilent lan board has the magjack center taps connected together and to 3.3V via a 10ohm resistor (and bypass cap). The dunkemhigh magjack (from what I can see and correct me if I'm wrong) has the center tap of each isolation transformer connected together then via a capacitor to ground, no 3.3V connection.

Maybe the 3000 series is more fussy and the phy detects a problem.

It would be worth tying the center taps to a 10 ohm resistor to the 3.3V on the edge connector to see if that fixes anything.

cheers,
george.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
I've mentioned this before...

Indeed, and it would be cool if someone could try that. Obviously, it's not much use me doing it... :)

I am not about to complain, but if that is the problem I can't see why mine doesn't suffer, at least some times. It would be conceivable that my board/jack has something different (a short of open, maybe), but I've tried a different board that fails for someone else yet works perfectly for me.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Dunkemhigh - yes, that's why I mentioned maybe that the 3000 series is more fussy...

At this point yours is a 2000 series and works fine and mine is also a 2000 series and works fine. I DID early on disconnect the 3.3V to the center taps and on my 2000 series it still worked fine... I did put it back to 3.3V to be 'correct'.

Does anyone with a 3000 series have a working diy lan board?

cheers,
george.

Offline Antonsio

Hi
I am new in the forum. I designed a LAN board for my DSOX2004 using the gerber files posted in this theme. The LAN connector is different and i made some changes on the board. My problem is the same like with most of the people here - center tap of the isolation transformers. I tried everything, but i can't find where exactly is the 3.3V pin on the edge connector. I saw the pictures here with description of the pins but it didn't work for me. Anyway the PCB is working, but during boot procedure a get a message - "System concerned .... LAN Failure"  or something like that.
If somebody knows which pin exactly is 3.3V i will appreciate it :)
(Sorry for the bad english)

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
On my scope from first day, if USB stick unplugged, I also see error message, but LAN module work and recognized by scope! "System concern detected..." hide the LAN error message.

Did you tried to communicate with scope over LAN?

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Hi
I am new in the forum. I designed a LAN board for my DSOX2004 using the gerber files posted in this theme. The LAN connector is different and i made some changes on the board. My problem is the same like with most of the people here - center tap of the isolation transformers. I tried everything, but i can't find where exactly is the 3.3V pin on the edge connector. I saw the pictures here with description of the pins but it didn't work for me. Anyway the PCB is working, but during boot procedure a get a message - "System concerned .... LAN Failure"  or something like that.
If somebody knows which pin exactly is 3.3V i will appreciate it :)
(Sorry for the bad english)

Look at Zucca's post ->

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg458172/#msg458172

"B" in the drawing is the signal that needs to go to 3.3V. All the info is in that post.

cheers,
george.

Offline Antonsio

First of all - thanks for the answers. The communication with the scope is OK. I tried few things from my browser and it works fine. Only the starting process of the scope is  slower than normaly (maybe with 20-30sec). This i think is because of the tests that the system makes during boot for the LAN card. If LAN card is not responding properly the test is made few more times. Again - its not a big problem, but the boot of the scope is relatively slow and now is even slower.
When i try to connect the center taps together and connect them to 1,2 pin (shown on ZUCCA's pictures) i get the same error. I will try few more things and if i clear the error the PCB files will be changed and i will update my version of the project (altium files). By the way the connector that i use is:
http://www.tme.eu/bg/details/rj45-trafo-lt/syediniteli-rj/amphenol/lmj2018814100dl2t1b/

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:47:46 am by Antonsio »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
I'm looking out for a DSOX2xx4 or DSO3xx4 that I could buy and 'upgrade'.  Seems a new one may have 2.37 which may prevent me from doing the USB boot feature - not sure?

I've read the whole thread, but there are a few of basic things I'm not clear on.

1. What are folks using to telnet into the scope?  I know it can be done if there's a LAN card fitted but what if there's no LAN card?  Is it done using the connection to the serial port header on the PCB or can you connect via the USB using an USB-Serial cable?

2. What are the port settings for the serial connection - BAUD rate etc?

3. If you get to the point that you can boot from USB, it seems that the USB stick needs to stay in the scope.  Is there a second USB port or does that mean you can't save stuff to the USB drive?

Thanks,
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
First of all - thanks for the answers. The communication with the scope is OK. I tried few things from my browser and it works fine. Only the starting process of the scope is  slower than normaly (maybe with 20-30sec). This i think is because of the tests that the system makes during boot for the LAN card. If LAN card is not responding properly the test is made few more times. Again - its not a big problem, but the boot of the scope is relatively slow and now is even slower.
When i try to connect the center taps together and connect them to 1,2 pin (shown on ZUCCA's pictures) i get the same error. I will try few more things and if i clear the error the PCB files will be changed and i will update my version of the project (altium files). By the way the connector that i use is:
http://www.tme.eu/bg/details/rj45-trafo-lt/syediniteli-rj/amphenol/lmj2018814100dl2t1b/

Do your magjack LEDs work? Seems you have the pinout in your schematic back to front (anode/cathode flipped). e.g. you have pin 12 as the cathode, but the datasheet has pin 12 as the anode (same mistake in your schemetic for the 2nd LED).

The anode end of both LEDs (connect together) and feed from the 3.3V on the card edge.

I use the same magjack style (AMP part number) and it works perfectly without any errors. Boot up time is 37 seconds to where it says Agilent etc and 45 seconds to being fully booted and displaying a trace etc (msox2024a). I did copy the patched firmware to the internal memory to speed boot time versus a USB stick.

The center taps should connect together and connect to a capacitor (1uF seems fine) and resistor (10 ohms). The other end of the capacitor goes to ground. The other end of the resistor goes to 3.3V on the card edge.

I'll have to draw up a schematic of my lan vga diy card since it does work perfectly without any errors (at least on my msox2024a).

cheers,
george.

Offline Antonsio

Yes, you are right - the leds are not connected properly. Maybe PCB design for 1 hour is not good idea :D
I will make some cuts on the board when i have spare time and i will try to clear thigs up. Thanks for the answer.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Just for the record, my scope is an (unhacked) mso-x 2024a, so it's not a case of the 3000 being more fussy.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
Just for the record, my scope is an (unhacked) mso-x 2024a, so it's not a case of the 3000 being more fussy.

Thanks. That kind of kills the 2000A vs 3000A theory...

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
Just an idea: maybe it depends on sw version?
There is an FPGA in VGA part of original board, so it can be configured and then checked (or not checked, depending on sw inside the scope).

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
Just an idea: maybe it depends on sw version?
There is an FPGA in VGA part of original board, so it can be configured and then checked (or not checked, depending on sw inside the scope).

Good thinking, it may well be a VGA related fault and not necessarily the LAN. After all, the reported error is "LAN VGA option module fault". Perhaps on some scope versions the logic says; if there exists a LAN module, the VGA must exist also, let's check...

I never proceeded further with my card after receiving the error, as I'm very afraid of damaging my expensive scope. But after Antonsio reported he receives the same error and then has good communication with his board, it got me thinking that perhaps the communication with my dunkemhigh board may work just fine also. Your comments only further support the reason why the error may appear and the LAN still work. I will have to test and report back...

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
So, folk that have lan/vga problems with the diy board, what is your firmware version on your scope and what model do you have?

Mine works perfect with no error lan/vga error messages (with my diy lan card):

MSOX2024A and firmware version 2.35.2013061800 as reported on the 'about scope' screen. Also with licenses 'enabled' and loaded into the scope (versus usb flash drive).

cheers,
george.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
DSO-X 2004A, firmware 02.35.2013061800

Also licenses enabled and loaded into the scope, but I still get the message about booting from USB, and the 'About' screen even says (in red) "Booting from USB device".

It's possible I screwed up somewhere  :-//

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
MSOX 3054A, firmware 02.35.2013061800
Error with dunkemhigh board, but fine with Agilent DSOXLAN.
No need for other mods, as I already have MSO, max BW for my model, and the DSOX3APPBNDL.

I really don't think that the difference is in the loadable firmware, but could it be hidden in the fixed code of some other piece of hardware in a later (or earlier) revision scope? My scope was new in Nov 2011.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf