Author Topic: 230V Variable Isolation Transformer - similar to Sencore PR570  (Read 277 times)

Offline tochniaTopic starter

Does anyone know for any good /not Chinesium/ Variable Isolation Transformer for 230V?
Similar to Sencore PR570... but with right voltage for UK  :bullshit:

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 230V Variable Isolation Transformer - similar to Sencore PR570
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:39:41 pm »
I can't find anything for 230v other than some evidence that variac dot com made a 240v: 120-240v isolation variable transformer. but its not on their website, just this document. https://variac.com/staco/PDFCutSheets/VT%20isolated.pdf

I could make you one, i've wound a 0-140v variac from 15 gauge wire and it was rather easy, with a little more effort i would have had it done right. i wouldn't be able to do the special silver-cadmium? plating that they put on top of the copper to make the brushes last longer and not corrode. actually, i wonder how long nickel plating would hold up... i wouldn't really be willing to do anything smaller than 15 gauge wire so you'd be looking at a 20 pound transformer..

but for less money and shipping you can just buy yourself a 0-260v variac and a 230v isolation transformer.

this is the only isolated variac i know of that's not 1500 bucks from stacko or variac assuming they even have one in stock
https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Transformer-1000VA-Isolated/dp/B09X153FZW

also a serious question is how much granularity you want. -i have seriously thought about winding a variac which exposes every other turn, meaning a 4 layer inner diameter coil and a 2 layer outer diameter.

a 20 gauge secondary coil (typically used on 5 or 6 amp rated variacs) spanning 180 degrees of the toroid would leave plenty of room for the 230v primary winding to go on the other half of the toroid. -its still going to be a pretty big transformer to fit a traditional single layer 230v winding on half or 2/3rds of the core.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:48:38 pm by johansen »

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: 230V Variable Isolation Transformer - similar to Sencore PR570
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 02:12:57 am »
but for less money and shipping you can just buy yourself a 0-260v variac and a 230v isolation transformer.

Yes.  I believe when this topic has come up before, the general consensus has been to get a separate variac and isolation transformer.
There are a lot more available options that way, and you can select based on your desired power requirements and build quality.

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf