Author Topic: Siglent - 11/20 - New SDS1104X-U, 4 channel 100MHz, 1Gsa/s economy oscilloscope  (Read 2584 times)

pantelei4, jack-daniels, jemangedeslolos and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Rigol FFT is totally wrong. I have seen notes that Rigol 1kZ have 64k FFT instead of 2k. So 64k and 128k not very big difference.

Yep.

All data points are cherry picked, there's inaccuracies and missing competitors (where's the cheap Keysights/Insteks?)

Also this kind of tables are not very useful because it do not expain any thing any deeper than just name, number and v or x.

Yep. They tell you nothing about the usability, the amount of useful information shown on screen, how that information is shown, how many button clicks and knob twists is takes to turn on a simple measurement, if they can zoom out after a data capture, etc., etc.

But still... par for the course in the marketing world.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:22:58 am by Fungus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born with DLL21 in hand
Rigol FFT is totally wrong. I have seen notes that Rigol 1kZ have 64k FFT instead of 2k. So 64k and 128k not very big difference.

Yep.

All data points are cherry picked, there's inaccuracies and missing competitors (where's the cheap Keysights/Insteks?)

Also this kind of tables are not very useful because it do not expain any thing any deeper than just name, number and v or x.

Yep. They tell you nothing about the usability, the amount of useful information shown on screen, how that information is shown, how many button clicks and knob twists is takes to turn on a simple measurement, if they can zoom out after a data capture, etc., etc.

But still... par for the course in the marketing world.

Cherry picked or not. This is marketing and normal and every single manufacturer use it. Keysight perhaps one of leader in this area of things. If you have read enough HP-Agilent-Keysight sales brochures but not only these, even and more clever can find in many application notes. They have done it tens of years, they are very experienced in this. 

But, If do Chery picking, cherry need be true not lie cherry.. It is still not extremely fair but without direct lies.

Btw, Rigol manual still tell FFT length is 16k or somehow from diplay area 1200pts  :-//

And what is Rigol Frame Record... they tell it is fast, hardware based and max 60000 frames. If look afterwards one saved frame... is it possible look it with FFT or decode it or make some new measurements based to ADC data there. Or change interpolation.
Time when I have Rigol 1kZ I did not use it at all because it was for one project where it totally fails, I do not even remember if this feature was there in this time (just after  1kZ born).
If practice and theory is not equal it tells that used application of theory is wrong or the theory itself is wrong.
-
Harmony OS

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Apparently one is on the way to me. Wioll be interesting to see how stripped down the design is compared to the existing model.
will be interested to see your review. the table in your next post shows comparison with Keysight DSO, but majority of us own DS1054Z so we hope to see comparison with that too. we would love to see some bashing and cursing and how crappy our DS1054Z vs this brand spanking budget scope. so maybe we can consider (based on your acedemical review) if its worth another buy.

Comparison (from Siglent)
edit: just checking it.... there are small lies... there are big lies.. (attached) if they based on that and just add 2Mpts to competite, they were highly deluded.. enough for me... there is no possible way to get 10MPts (bins) FFT out of this thing...
http://scopechart.com/rigol/rigol-ds1054z-ds1054z-1
It's extremely difficult to start life.. one features of nature.. physical laws are mathematical theory of great beauty... You may wonder Why? our knowledge shows that nature is so constructed. We simply have to accept it. One could describe the situation by saying that... (Paul Dirac)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Comparison (from Siglent)
edit: just checking it.... there are small lies... there are big lies.. (attached) if they based on that and just add 2Mpts to competite, they were highly deluded.. enough for me... there is no possible way to get 10MPts (bins) FFT out of this thing...
http://scopechart.com/rigol/rigol-ds1054z-ds1054z-1
Nit picking.
SW engineers have made some wonderful enhancements to DSO memory in the past from the initial release of a product yet the datasheets are nearly never updated to reflect the changes.
So which datasheet do we compare from ?

A case in point was the original first SDS2000 with 35 Mpts memory that later with FW was enlarged to 70 Mpts yet no datasheet ever reflected this.
What is right to do ?
Update datasheets and cause confusion in the marketplace or keep datasheets to match initial product release ?

Or later release a new tweaked model of much the same instrument like SDS2000X, now with 140 Mpts memory.

Best is a apples vs apples comparison.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
A case in point was the original first SDS2000 with 35 Mpts memory that later with FW was enlarged to 70 Mpts yet no datasheet ever reflected this.
Or later release a new tweaked model of much the same instrument like SDS2000X, now with 140 Mpts memory.
i'm not sure if i understand. you mean siglent scope can be hacked to 35/70/140Mpts? can you point me to the hack thread? or are you saying, the scopes come out of factory at 35/70/140Mpts capacity? its just that not updated in datasheet? and what price? $500 budget? if spec/datasheet is not what it actually is, whats the point discussing here? btw, in earlier post i was referring to the stated (outdated) 12Mpts DS1054Z memory (actually now 24Mpts out of factory) when Siglent made the comparison chart and claimed their scope has 14Mpts (if actually bigger?) thats their problem, but when they stated (under rated) the competitor's spec, thats trouble! can we allow laziness in updating datasheet/chart?
« Last Edit: Today at 07:19:25 pm by Mechatrommer »
It's extremely difficult to start life.. one features of nature.. physical laws are mathematical theory of great beauty... You may wonder Why? our knowledge shows that nature is so constructed. We simply have to accept it. One could describe the situation by saying that... (Paul Dirac)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor

The one that is current when you make the comparison.  I get your point, but everybody with any current knowledge of budget scopes knows that the 1054Z comes with 24M for a while now. My honesty expectations for marketing types are pretty low, on the order of politicians, but this does seem to fall below even that standard.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
....and what price?

SDS2000-level, so $1500 entry point. Not the cheapies.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

The one that is current when you make the comparison.  I get your point, but everybody with any current knowledge of budget scopes knows that the 1054Z comes with 24M for a while now. My honesty expectations for marketing types are pretty low, on the order of politicians, but this does seem to fall below even that standard.
Not just that but technically the hackability should be taken into account as well...

In the end these comparison charts are utterly useless. And some stuff in the datasheet too. Calling a 7" screen large  :-DD
« Last Edit: Today at 07:58:32 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
In the end these comparison charts are utterly useless.

I remember certain Siglent fanboys endlessly posting a Siglent vs. Rigol chart here.  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf