Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1103730 times)

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
And what is the problem copying files WITHOUT lan module? Why not just build a modified update .cab?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline troth

Just tried the hack on a DSOX3034A that I got last week. I think the build week is 43 of 2013 (late October-ish, there is a 1343 under the QR code on the serial #, MAC addr sticker on the back of the unit). The firmware version that came with it is 02.36.2013091301.

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck getting it to boot from the USB stick with the hacked Core DLL file. I also tried to get it to boot without modifying any of the files except for the override .txt file, again with no luck.

The scope appears to read information from the USB drive (can see the led flashing). Next, all I get is it cycling through lighting up the channel buttons, intensity and wave gen, run stop and single and then ref, math, digital and serial. It goes through about 8 cycles and then reboots itself. No matter what I have tried, I have seen no change in behavior when trying to boot from the usb flash drive.

To verify that the scope can handle the formatting of the drive, I booted the scope without the usb flash drive plugged in. After the scope was up and operating normally, I plugged in the usb drive and was able to browse the directories via the Save/Recall button.

Not really asking for any one to figure this out, just trying to document another data point for a relatively new scope.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else with a newer scope that came with firmware > 2.35 is having any success with the hack.

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
Hi,

the trick is to use fast USB-Sticks. I use an usb3 32GB (read 30MB/s) Stick without any problems. Yesterday I've tested a Micro USB2 Stick with only 15MB/s. That one only starts the first time, then I have to unplug the Scope to make it work again.

Maybe some of you can make a speed test with your working sticks and post the result to prove me wrong or right.

BTW, a big thanks to the guys who posted the little trick. :-+

regards B0B
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:36:18 am by B0B45 »

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Just tried the hack on a DSOX3034A that I got last week. I think the build week is 43 of 2013 (late October-ish, there is a 1343 under the QR code on the serial #, MAC addr sticker on the back of the unit). The firmware version that came with it is 02.36.2013091301.

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck getting it to boot from the USB stick with the hacked Core DLL file. I also tried to get it to boot without modifying any of the files except for the override .txt file, again with no luck.

The scope appears to read information from the USB drive (can see the led flashing). Next, all I get is it cycling through lighting up the channel buttons, intensity and wave gen, run stop and single and then ref, math, digital and serial. It goes through about 8 cycles and then reboots itself. No matter what I have tried, I have seen no change in behavior when trying to boot from the usb flash drive.

To verify that the scope can handle the formatting of the drive, I booted the scope without the usb flash drive plugged in. After the scope was up and operating normally, I plugged in the usb drive and was able to browse the directories via the Save/Recall button.

Not really asking for any one to figure this out, just trying to document another data point for a relatively new scope.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else with a newer scope that came with firmware > 2.35 is having any success with the hack.

Thanks for info. Could you try to downgrade the firmware to the latest version available on website 2.35 and try it again?
Your reported firmware seems to be not released for field.

As BOB reported, I tried some really slow USB sticks (<5MB/s) and it is not working, strange.

Offline troth

Thanks for info. Could you try to downgrade the firmware to the latest version available on website 2.35 and try it again?
Your reported firmware seems to be not released for field.

As BOB reported, I tried some really slow USB sticks (<5MB/s) and it is not working, strange.

I'd like to try downgrading, but I'm a tad skittish about doing so without having a way to get the scope back to the firmware that came from the factory. I have not been able to find a cab file for the 2.36 firmware the scope shipped with.

I've tried a faster USB drive (> 20MB/s) with no change in results.

What are the symptoms of failure that people are seeing with slow drives (i.e. what does the scope do when it fails to boot from USB drive)? I don't recall seeing anyone state that explicitly in any of the messages I've read on this thread (quite possible I missed it if it is there).

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Huh, mine is still running 2.35. What did they do in version 2.36 I wonder.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline MarkL

• Supporter

Perhaps in 2.36 they've addressed the license hack?  I think there's little doubt Agilent reads this forum.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man

Perhaps in 2.36 they've addressed the license hack?  I think there's little doubt Agilent reads this forum.
I doubt that. Arent there already confirmed people in this thread with brand new scopes running 2.36 with a successful hack?

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
I doubt that. Arent there already confirmed people in this thread with brand new scopes running 2.36 with a successful hack?
There are.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
There are.
Thought so. Thanks for confirming.

Offline troth

There are.

I just read back through the thread and didn't see any evidence that someone has gotten the hack to work with a scope having 2.36 from the factory.

Offline jstarr

• Regular Contributor
whats a good software to use for modifying the infiniiVisionCore.dll ?

tnx
j

Offline jstarr

• Regular Contributor
I found "OpenFreely" as the hexeditor to modify infiniiVisionCore.dll.  Does the date/time of the edited file have to be identical to the original?  Right now the edited file has today's date.

tnx
j

How to hack the firmware
1. Unpack the firmware *.cab by 7zip
2. Unpack infiniiVisionSetup.cab ( e.g. with WinCE CAB Manager 3.0)
    Find \Secure\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionCore.dll
3. Change at location 0x277e50 in infiniiVisionCore.dll
    byte sequence 04 00 a0 e1 to byte sequence 00 00 a0 e3
4. Enable startup Overide by creating USB flash with following structure in root of USB drive (copy structure from Secure folder from point 2)
    Edit in Startup folder file infiniivision.lnk to contains following sequence "62#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l All -l SCPIPS"
    Replace in infiniiVision folder  infiniiVisionCore.dll with patched infiniiVisionCore.dll file
5. Create infiniivisionStartupOverride.txt file in root of USB flash drive containing "True"
6. Plug the USB drive to scope and turn it ON
7. There will be red  message in letf top corner "Unfinalized Software"  and "System Concerns detected: OS version is not correct. Please reload system firmware"

Applications needed:
 WinCE CAB Manager http://www.ocpsoftware.com/products.php
 7Zip http://www.7-zip.org/

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
I found "OpenFreely" as the hexeditor to modify infiniiVisionCore.dll.  Does the date/time of the edited file have to be identical to the original?  Right now the edited file has today's date.

tnx
j

I'm using PsPad, but there are lot of other hex editors available.
The data and time is not important.

There are.

Could you try to downgrade the firmware to 2.35 and try the hack?
Or do you have the LAN module?

Offline GregerG

• Contributor
Just confirming it works on my 2.35 2012A as well, had some boot issues until I noticed the startup link was wrong and I also partitioned my (11MB/s 32GB FAT32) stick to 4gig at the same time so I can't say for sure if it would have worked with larger than 7.7gig but it works now so I'm a HAPPY camper :D

I also didn't activate all features as I wasn't sure all worked on 2000-series.... didn't want to push my luck :)
Running fine with 62#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l MSO -l memMax -l MEMUP -l EMBD -l AUTO -l COMP -l SGM -l MASK -l EDK -l BW20 -l VID -l ADVMATH -l DVM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlypogw0866xnwi/20131207_212432.jpg

Noticing now I forgot WAVEGEN but that license was purchased earlier and it's still activated so it clearly reads previously installed licenses.

THANK YOU for sharing this, have been waiting ages *HUGS* (and hopefully this isn't just an activation of the trial license so it stops in a month :D)
(also I was using the backside usb port, and noticed bootup time was a bit slower - cycled the panel LED's 4 times instead of normal 2 times)

Offline tivoi

• Contributor
I was try hack,
usb flash can't work with nomal format

i was try format usb flash with hirrent boot USB, it is work

this is flash format process
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

thanks and best regards

Offline GregerG

• Contributor
Yes - regular FAT32 format under windows works great...
Just bought a new, faster, 8gig micro usb-stick (sandisc cruzer fit) and it works just fine, no problems what so ever...

Correction to previous post - it cycles the front panel LED's 6 times, so don't be too hasty and turn it off, give it a few seconds :)

Offline willemite

• Contributor
silly me.
after many fails thinking it was the USB formating, or the USB drive, finally remember some post way back that suggested using the same firmware--- I was trying 2.35 on stick, with 2.12 (I think) on the scope. Once I realized that, worked on the next try following upgrade.
I looked high and low for some way to unpack the cab file (with proper file names and directories)-- the referenced program refused to install on all my computers here. Finally I just used 7zip, hunted through the folder structure and noticed the xml file that gave the renaming and directory structure. Used excel to concatenate a few "copy" and "mkdir" into a DOS batchfile that made quick work of putting everything where needed.
dsox2004 now shows 200 mhz

Offline GregerG

• Contributor
I noticed that the enhanced video (VID) trigger work on the 2000 series,
even though it's not sold by agilent, all the way up to 1080p/i...
Perhaps a coming feature?

Also - my scope is flashed with stock firmware 2.35, and booting the usb stick with 2.35 as well,
and I still get a popup the firmwares don't match, however after you click it away it won't re-appear and the calibration and hardware self tests pass just fine.
Maybe because the md5 crc or timestamp isn't matching anymore? Will look into it tomorrow...

Offline wersi

• Contributor
I've changed crc (Microsoft PE file spec.) but it still complains about FW....
Looks like its a verisign signature missmatch problem.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:36:25 am by wersi »

Offline mwilson

• Contributor
I just got the LAN module for my DSO-X 3014A. I've seen references to loading the modified startup files on my USB key to the internal storage with the LAN module, but when I try FTPing or telneting to the scope I don't know the username or password.

Could someone please point me in the right direction for connecting or replacing the right startup files?

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Oh, I guess I missed that part of this hack. The USB drive with the custom firmware resides on the USB drive so it has the be left connected to the scope all the time doesnt it?

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
I don't know the username or password.

Check page 12

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Oh, I guess I missed that part of this hack. The USB drive with the custom firmware resides on the USB drive so it has the be left connected to the scope all the time doesnt it?
Yes. If the USB is removed the unit will reboot itself in few seconds.

Offline mwilson

• Contributor
I don't know the username or password.

Check page 12

Thank you! I was searching for "password" in the thread, not "pass". Happy to report I've been able to modify the built-in files and don't have to boot from USB key anymore.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf