Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106859 times)

dimmog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Why the trigger jitter is not specified in the datasheet for the DSO-X series?
I can't find its value.  :-//
Thanks.

My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
I just tested, original Firmware 2.36 did not work for USB boot, just resulted in cyclic blinking of the buttons with no software being started.

Then, I "updated" to the latest firmware available from the Agilent homepage (2.35) - as suggested by the scope itself.

Now, USB boot works perfectly fine.

Stick is a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB.

Thanks for testing!! There were several user who affraid to downgrade scope to 2.35. Was there any warnining message?
Prior downgrade I reccomneds to reset scope to factory default, this help during my downgrading experiment with firmwares prior 2.35.

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
USB boot loops on 2.36 because of file versions mix I guess. It's no a true boot actually, the OS (and all files in OS directories) from internal flash is used, just the scope app is started from USB, so a mix of 2.36 internal and 2.35 external files occurs.

Somebody with that dreaded 2.36 should pull it out via telnet or USB stick batch copy script for study.

Offline Bazillus

Thanks for testing!! There were several user who affraid to downgrade scope to 2.35. Was there any warnining message?
Prior downgrade I reccomneds to reset scope to factory default, this help during my downgrading experiment with firmwares prior 2.35.

Neither problems nor warning messages at all. I expected a message like "you try to downgrade your scope" or "the latest firmware is already installed on your scope" but none of them appeared. I copied the cab file onto a USB stick, followed the original software "upgrade" procedure on the scope, then it copied files for 2-3 minutes, rebooted and the 2.35 version OS started without any hazzle. Also calibration is still fine. I think, it resets to factory default during the "upgrade" process, but I can't confirm.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Digging around in the software I found an interesting thing...

Dealer ex-demo scopes with all options enabled have a time limit of 9 months on those options.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
The expiration date is built in the key, it is not related to the comandline parameter

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
It should be LAN module for 181 USD
http://www.home.agilent.com/myagilent/faces/partDetail.jspx?partNumber=75019-68705&imageStatus=NO&_afrLoop=1455775011571000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null#%40%3F_afrWindowId%3Dnull%26_afrLoop%3D1455775011571000%26imageStatus%3DNO%26partNumber%3D75019-68705%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D39lnsndix_58
Wait, so Im confused. That LAN module you linked to says that it was replaced by the DSOXLAN-FG, if I already have the DSOXLAN module in my MSOX2024A does that mean that there is a new/updated LAN/VGA module. The link for the DSOXLAN-FG module says: "This part is not available for direct sale but an instrument repair is orderable through our service center. Please contact Agilent to inquire about returning your instrument for repair."
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
I wonder what's changed, FG can't stand for Function Gen so what could it be?

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
I just contacted Agilent on the DSOXLAN-FG module and apparently those links that were posted were not supposed to be exposed to the general public. He explained that the DSOXLAN-FG is a part reference for the entire assembly that is sold to us as the DSOXLAN. He said there is nothing different about its merely an internal part number.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
I just contacted Agilent on the DSOXLAN-FG module and apparently those links that were posted were not supposed to be exposed to the general public. He explained that the DSOXLAN-FG is a part reference for the entire assembly that is sold to us as the DSOXLAN. He said there is nothing different about its merely an internal part number.

Thanks for check, I just post it when I found it on website.

Offline kilobyte

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
My DSOXLAN modul that I have ordered from Datatec a couple of weeks ago was marked with DSOXLAN FG.

@abyrvalg
Yes I'm also interested for a 2.36 Firmware packet to look inside the core dll

Also i have prepared a raw image with the Keysight Logo to replace the megazoom screensaver logo but until now i didn't had the time to change the data in the dll :)

Offline Matrixx

Had version 2.36.
downgraded to 2.35 and now it works :)

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Hi folks, I'm going to take advantage of the Agilent promo --- I have ordered a DSOX3k + LAN module.  The items are back-ordered 4 wks, so it'll be a bit of a wait...but I expect it to be loaded with v2.36 firmware.  Following what I've read here, I will telnet in, copy the files to a local USB, and share them here.  Hopefully we find a way to make v2.36 work from USB boot with configured options! Thanks people for all the ideas shared so far!  :)

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Hi folks, I'm going to take advantage of the Agilent promo --- I have ordered a DSOX3k + LAN module.  The items are back-ordered 4 wks, so it'll be a bit of a wait...but I expect it to be loaded with v2.36 firmware.  Following what I've read here, I will telnet in, copy the files to a local USB, and share them here.  Hopefully we find a way to make v2.36 work from USB boot with configured options! Thanks people for all the ideas shared so far!  :)
Why not just downgrade?

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Why not just downgrade?

Well, since we know that works already it is easy last resort.  I think it will be fun to try 2.36; several people are curious to see the core dll, so I can help with that effort.  And, eventually 2.36 might be on Agilents website for download.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
Why not just downgrade?

Well, since we know that works already it is easy last resort.  I think it will be fun to try 2.36; several people are curious to see the core dll, so I can help with that effort.  And, eventually 2.36 might be on Agilents website for download.

I'm still trying to get the modified 2.35 version working on my scope. :(

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
Finally got it to work using a podunk 4G USB stick I got from Digikey for attending some training from ST Micro.  Go figure.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
Hi,

I just wonder if I miss something?

Base on the Quote from: plesa on November 03, 2013, 10:24:37 PM

Instead of moving the startup on the USB key just live on the local disk

How to hack the firmware
1. Unpack the firmware *.cab by 7zip
2. Unpack infiniiVisionSetup.cab ( e.g. with WinCE CAB Manager 3.0)
    Find \Secure\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionCore.dll
2a. copy infiniiVisionCore.dll to infiniiVisionCore.old
3. Change at location 0x277e50 in infiniiVisionCore.dll
    byte sequence 04 00 a0 e1 to byte sequence 00 00 a0 e3

To reverse the change infiniiVisionCore.old to infiniiVisionCore.dll
Restart ...

eurofox

eurofox

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Well only time will tell I suppose. We'll just have to hide and watch what they do.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I just wonder if I miss something?
Base on the Quote from: plesa on November 03, 2013, 10:24:37 PM

Instead of moving the startup on the USB key just live on the local disk
<snip>
To reverse the change infiniiVisionCore.old to infiniiVisionCore.dll
Restart ...

eurofox

I believe that would work, and you could also overwrite the infiniivision.lnk file with the original.  But, I haven't tried any of this yet...still waiting for gear to arrive.

In any case, you would want to make sure you have a failsafe USB boot key in the event something was corrupted on the local disk, and especially if you don't have the LAN module, as you might be unable to boot the scope and/or be "locked out" of it in some way and unable to resolve the problem.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:56:13 pm by Sparky »

Offline kilobyte

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
Muahahaha! :-DD

Here is it the Enterprise Screensaver.

I did take a look in the dsox4000 dll and there are a lot more debug information and resources.
I opened the 4000 infiniivision with a resource hacker and I was able to extract bitmaps and Winform dialogs.
After disassembling the dll I searched for the text TREK and found the reference to this in a subfunction with other references to ...Screensaver...
So i tried it on my scope and bingo.

Regards
Kai

Today i was at the embedded world fair here in Nürnberg/Germany and i could try the Screensaver Easteregg with the text TREK which will work as seen in my video.
After I started the Preview it will show some credits.

It was a little bit sad that i didn't have a possibility to make a video of this.

It would be nice if someone which have a DSOX4000 available take a video of this easteregg.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor

It's coming next Wednesday (March 5th)! :)

Edit: It has arrived! Niccceeeee! As expected, it has firmware v2.36 on it.  The DSOXLAN module has shipped separately, so I need to wait few more days...  Will update again when I have everything!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:48:10 am by Sparky »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor

My DSOXLAN modul that I have ordered from Datatec a couple of weeks ago was marked with DSOXLAN FG.

I can add that the DSOXLAN module that I bought (from ZoroTools) was labeled "DSOXLAN-FG"; it came in a legit Agilent box, sealed and well packaged.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
My Agilent DSO-X 3034A arrived earlier in the month and it took until today to get a DSOXLAN module for it.  The scope is running v2.36 firmware as has been the case for recent folks. It's been a pleasure to use so far, and I'm looking forward to unlock a little extra potential.

For the purpose of exploring v2.36, here is some details (for the complete file listing, see attached FileList.txt):

Directory of \Secure\infiniiVision

01/01/86  12:04a    <DIR>                    web
01/01/86  12:04a    <DIR>                    fpga
10/10/07  06:45p                       46624 System.Drawing.dll
10/10/07  06:45p                      214552 mscorlib.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                       82432 Agilent.Cdf.Api.Licensing.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                      160256 Agilent.Cdf.Api.Lxi.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                       85504 Agilent.Cdf.Api.Security.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                       28160 Agilent.Cdf.Api.SystemManagement.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                      163840 Agilent.Cdf.Api.dll
05/05/13  09:21a                        9216 Agilent.Cdf.Core.Lxi.Web.ComServer.Interop.dll
08/24/12  03:16p                      238080 OpenNETCF.dll
05/16/13  08:43p                       13312 WebPageData.dll
08/24/12  03:16p                      398336 SetupConverter.exe
01/01/86  12:04a                     1152032 splashImage.bin
08/24/12  03:17p                      251392 dnssd_CE.dll
08/24/12  03:17p                      355840 libcups2.dll
08/24/12  03:17p                       83968 libcups2backend.dll
09/13/13  11:10a                      215040 vncServer.exe
08/24/12  03:20p                       21504 websockify.exe
09/13/13  11:17a                    17312416 infiniiVisionCore.dll
09/13/13  11:10a                       12104 infiniiVisionLauncher.exe
09/13/13  11:10a                      180736 infiniiVisionWebCom.dll

The infiniiVisionCore.dll is the same size (in bytes) as the previous v2.35 release, however the two files are different

The bytes previously mentioned to patch at location 0x277e50 are not there.  My best guess (just by comparing, and noting the same sequence of bytes) is that they are now at 0x277e30.

I patched the bytes at 0x277e30, and setup the USB boot key as per the instructions here.  I tried 3 different USB keys: SanDisk Cruzer 2GB, Kingston DataTraveler 4GB, Transcend 32GB.  All were USB 2.0 drives, and formatted FAT32.  None of these drives worked.  During boot, groups of LEDs on front of the scope would flash in sequence and after a short while the scope would restart and try again.  Removing the USB drive, the scope would boot as normal.

I am not sure if I patched the infiniiVisionCore.dll correctly as it is different to v2.35.  I have uploaded the .dll here.  I hope a more knowledgeable person could look at it and provide some comments.  If more files are needed, just let me know. @plesa @abyrvalg hoping you guys might be able to take a look.

Reading back through the thread, people have had success with:
"a podunk 4G USB stick I got from Digikey"
SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB
Kingston 4GB microSD with adaptor
DaneElec 2GB SD with cheapo USB card reader
Integral 8GB

Hoping I will not have to downgrade --- I will keep trying with other USB drives...

Sparky

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf