Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106816 times)

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
Here are Gerber, drill and DXF files for LAN module builders.
I wish to see prettier modules than my!

Georg

The following users thanked this post: hugos31, Andrew

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Hey, Georg. Brilliant, very generous of you.

Thank you

Trev

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Very cool Georg!

BTW it´s a shame Agilent didn´t design a digital output for a display (HDMI or a DisplayPort) there.
Since I am not expert on those interfaces do you think it is impossible or just tons of brain, spare time and FPGA jazz would do the trick?

I simply can´t stand to have a poor analog video output in such a beautiful 2014 model DSO. On top of that I know the internal display signals are already digital, so what a shame to convert them in analog ones... It is like to take cold beers, warm them up in a oven and finally serve them...

Maybe if someone else is interested it would be nice to put on the Georg board not only the LAN interface but also:

- the raw video digital signals coming from the mainboard, for possible future development
- JTAG?
- I2C?
- UART? (see also https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg260721/?topicseen#msg260721)

Let´s do an EEVBlog Hack board!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:41:27 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Huh, I wonder when a chinese manufacturer will come up with these boards...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
If you want to see the gerber files, use http://www.gerber-viewer.com

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
Finally found one (a DSOXLAN) on eBay for a good price. Now I just hope the one they send me is in good condition. There are still 3 left if anyone else is looking.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291108310383

I recently purchased a couple of 'real' DSOXLAN from a Chinese seller for less than half retail including free shipping. Seller had 8 of them that I had reported on in the 'Buy/Sell/Wanted' area, but all are gone now. I just got them in today and happily all has tested well with both of them. The $200 US is not too bad of a price for a 'factory' module, and you get the VGA as a bonus, something that would be very difficult to hack. Hopefully the seller will find a few more modules to sell.

Offline euzer

• Contributor
Yay!!!

Just got a customer return DSO-X3000 returned back from Agilent calibration date 2 Jan 2014, they upgraded it to firmware 2.36.

Downgraded to 2.35 from the Agilent website, edited the DLL and created a USB drive and now it's all options enabled!!

Got the 'WARNING: Unfinalised software' message but otherwise perfect!!

Very happy bunny indeed  :)

Anybody now want a Rigol 2072 all options enabled brand new in box never used??!!

Helpful link...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2063383/DSOX3000%20hack.zip
Shows "All options enabled" at power up.
Shows the following features enabled :
MSO, memMax, EMBD, AUTO, FLEX, PWR, COMP, SGM, MASK, AUDIO, DIS, EDK, WAVEGEN, AERO, VID, ADVMATH, DVM, ASV, CABLE, SCPIPS, RML, SGMC, TOM.
No bandwidth increase features shown.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
Finally found one (a DSOXLAN) on eBay for a good price. Now I just hope the one they send me is in good condition. There are still 3 left if anyone else is looking.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291108310383

I recently purchased a couple of 'real' DSOXLAN from a Chinese seller for less than half retail including free shipping. Seller had 8 of them that I had reported on in the 'Buy/Sell/Wanted' area, but all are gone now. I just got them in today and happily all has tested well with both of them. The $200 US is not too bad of a price for a 'factory' module, and you get the VGA as a bonus, something that would be very difficult to hack. Hopefully the seller will find a few more modules to sell.

I was the one that bought the last of his stock, was a bit surprising how banged up the module is on the sides. Guess these things were passed around a lot in the lab they came from.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
The last release of the firmware is 2.36 but on the Agilent website only the 2.35 is available.

Where can I get the 2.36?

eurofox
eurofox

Offline euzer

• Contributor
This is interesting http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/DSOX3104A-01.pdf

Service Note
December 5, 2012
DSOX3014A – Oscilloscope, Mixed Signal, 4 Channel, 100MHz
Serial Numbers: ALL
Corrupted firmware code renders the oscilloscope inoperable.

Situation:
At regular intervals, the scope compares the checksum of the firmware code running in RAM with the checksum in Flash. This allows the detection of inadvertent or unauthorized changes to the files. If the two checksums ever differ, an error message is displayed and the scope becomes inoperable. The error message will read:
The InfiniiVision software has been corrupted. Please contact Agilent Support for help.

Solution/Action:
Go to Agilent.com, reload all files associated with oscilloscope model affected and without opening the file, download it to the scope.

There's also a recommended hardware mod if the scope hisses http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/DSOX3014A-03.pdf
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:38:01 am by euzer »

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
I was the one that bought the last of his stock, was a bit surprising how banged up the module is on the sides. Guess these things were passed around a lot in the lab they came from.

Yea, one of mine was a little rough, but the other was in very good condition. Both worked equally well and look about the same when plugged into the scope (outside condition is very good). I'm all for saving more than a couple hundred bucks on something you can't even see once plugged in anyway... Very happy with the purchase.

Still, I can't believe how UGLY they make the back of an otherwise nice looking scope look. What an awkward design approach to attach a module??? I understand the desire to lock the unit in place, but give me a break... They should have just skipped the locking loop and clips that protrude out of the back of the case and opted for a couple of torx screws to lock down the module flat to the rear surface. Anyone with a torx driver and enough time and wherewithal to remove the module is going to figure out how the get the whole scope anyway. It's even easier and faster to steal by just clipping the stupid loop with a pair of diagonal cutters, probably already sitting on the bench or nearby, and quickly unclip the module. What a DUMB and UGLY engineering idea, and a silly attempt to lock those modules down.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:45:34 pm by iRad »

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
FPG and ALT options grant additional selections for the rear trigger output

utility -> options -> rear panel -> rear panel menu

EDIT: Maybe it's caused by something else anyway. I felt that the scope was not running stable (it would reboot) especially when browsing the serial decode menu so I dropped FPG, ALT and TOM. They're undocumented and at least FPG is not recognised by the N5406A / N5434A FPGA dynamic probe software for the other infiniivision scopes. The Trigger output choices are still available.

CABLE is nice though. The help menu worked, so here's the description:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:47:41 am by Neganur »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone bought the DSOX3APPBNDL ($800) to unlock all the options (except BW and MSO feature)?

If so, I wonder if the boot override infiniivisionLauncher options for BW and MSO still work correctly after installing DSOX3APPBNDL? 

If anyone has done this, can you please test and post about it?

I'm contemplating buying the application bundle, but I don't want to loose BW and MSO ... and I can't afford everything at once!!

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
I bought the bundle. But unfortunately I do have the 1 GHz MSO version, so I can't try what you want to know without deleting the perpetual license file for the MSO.

I did notice that you can still install the undocumented options though so I imagine that the bandwidth and mixed signal options still work. You won't need all the other command line parameters anymore.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
I just tried out the LAN functions today and noticed some weird errors with the hacked USB method. If I boot from the hacked drive I get hit with errors like these on web page access:
Parse error in script

Microsoft VBScript runtime error: '800a01ad'

Description: ActiveX component can't create object: 'infiniiVisionWebCom.ScopeInfo'

In file: scopeInfo.asp
On line: 4

Other network functions are fine like telnet, VNC, java and HTML5 based (http://xxx/rfp.html) remote panels. So it looks like only dynamically generated pages are bad.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:26:24 am by Hypernova »

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
check if the file on your usb stick is read only (and remove that flag)

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
Didn't work, went into infiniiVision\web and checked them too, they aren't set to read only.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
I bought the bundle. But unfortunately I do have the 1 GHz MSO version, so I can't try what you want to know without deleting the perpetual license file for the MSO.

I did notice that you can still install the undocumented options though so I imagine that the bandwidth and mixed signal options still work. You won't need all the other command line parameters anymore.

Thanks for your response Neganur:)  I agree with you --- if the undocumented options still work after the bundle license, then it is reasonable to assume the BW and MSO options will be okay, too.

You are most "unfortunate" to have the 1GHz MSO version, eh?  :P

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
Anyone looking for a reasonable price DSOXLAN ($200 US) can check this site out. http://www.168electronics.com/agilent-dsoxlan-2000-30000-infiniivision-x-lanvga-module-p-66.html (no relationship with the seller)

I purchased two already from his eBay store and they both work perfectly. They are both a little bit tattered, like they were stored in a bin together and moved about a bit, but fully functional. I have not purchased any from his web store, but notice he accepts PayPal, so the buyer protection should be there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:39:08 am by iRad »

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
Anyone looking for a reasonable price DSOXLAN ($200 US) can check this site out. http://www.168electronics.com/agilent-dsoxlan-2000-30000-infiniivision-x-lanvga-module-p-66.html (no relationship with the seller)

I purchased two already from his eBay store and they both work perfectly. They are both a little bit tattered, like they were stored in a bin together and moved about a bit, but fully functional. I have not purchased any from his web store, but notice he accepts PayPal, so the buyer protection should be there.
I just got an email back from the seller stating that his web store inventory was incorrect, that he does not have them available any longer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:47:07 am by iRad »

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
picked up a new dso-x 2002 from frys for $1000 today, updated firmware to 2.35, applied usb with a transcend 4GB usb formatted as FAT16, worked fine.

neato

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
picked up a new dso-x 2002 from frys for $1000 today, updated firmware to 2.35, applied usb with a transcend 4GB usb formatted as FAT16, worked fine.

So you effectively now have a NEW FULLY LOADED MSOX2022A for $1000... yes, very neato
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:12:51 pm by iRad »

Offline Methodical

Does anyone have a rigol 2072a and dso 2000 series scope, and have info on which they prefer?  Seems to me the agilent would be preferred, even at a cost premium.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
They are just different. For general reliability go for Agilent. I chose so.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/my-new-toy-)-agilent-dsox2002a-sex-on-a-stick!/msg216361/#msg216361

But that Rigol DS2000 has huge 56Mpoints memory, dedicated segmented memory (record) controls, it can have two channel arbitrary generator...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:56:35 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Muahahaha! :-DD

Here is it the Enterprise Screensaver.

I did take a look in the dsox4000 dll and there are a lot more debug information and resources.
I opened the 4000 infiniivision with a resource hacker and I was able to extract bitmaps and Winform dialogs.
After disassembling the dll I searched for the text TREK and found the reference to this in a subfunction with other references to ...Screensaver...
So i tried it on my scope and bingo.

Regards
Kai

Today i was at the embedded world fair here in Nürnberg/Germany and i could try the Screensaver Easteregg with the text TREK which will work as seen in my video.
After I started the Preview it will show some credits.

It was a little bit sad that i didn't have a possibility to make a video of this.

It would be nice if someone which have a DSOX4000 available take a video of this easteregg.

yep. it works. just tried it
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf