Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106625 times)

georgd and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
If there is any spare board, I would like one, with the magjack, if possible. These kind of things are hard to come by in Brazil.

I'm sure something can be arranged :)

Thanks for the expressions of interest, everyone. It will take a while for the boards to come through, but once I have them and have figured out the actual costs I will ask for confirmed requirements from those interested.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Many thanks for getting this sorted. Just let me know when and how you want payment.

Offline starblue

Does anybody know what a "(d)" following the license names means?

I got my scope back from repairs and most licenses were marked like that, see attached screenshot.
Visit Chaospott, hacker space in Essen, Germany http://chaospott.de

Online georgd

• Regular Contributor
Activated distributor licence with time limit?
But why not display (d) after MSO, did you purchased MSO licence?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
What was repaired on your scope? Was there a power supply malfunction?
For the (d) mark I recommend you to contact your Agilent authorized distributor.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
I notice a license beginning on the second line that reads DIS(2015-1-27). Could that be a DIStributor License that ends on January 27, 2015?

Offline starblue

> But why not display (d) after MSO, did you purchased MSO licence?

I added the MSO license today after getting it back.
Also, most of the other d's disappeared after I added the DSOX3APPBNDL license (i.e. for those options that were included in the license). I had done that before the repair, but apparently I needed to load the license file again.

> What was repaired on your scope?

It wouldn't boot most of the time (screen stayed dark, LEDs cycled), so I got it repaired on warranty.
Seems to be OK now, and I got a nice cal certificate for the state after repairs.

> I notice a license beginning on the second line that reads DIS(2015-1-27). Could that be a DIStributor License that ends on January 27, 2015?

I suppose so.

I had the trial licenses activated, which expired during the repair.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:48:06 pm by starblue »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
It wouldn't boot most of the time (screen stayed dark, LEDs cycled), so I got it repaired on warranty.
So they did not tell you the exact reason? How old was that scope?

Offline starblue

> So they did not tell you the exact reason?

No, they didn't.

> How old was that scope?

Brand new.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
It must have been a production failure. It happens. It would be worse, if the fault appeared three years and one month after purchase.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Just received my msox2024a via agilent's ebay certiprime store. Fantastic scope and of course even more fantastic with the license stuff from this thread (thanks much to the major contributors!).

Now, I'm look at the dsoxlan diy projects and I am going to run some protoboards soon, so figure I may as well roll my own lan adapter board.

My #1 question though is the center tap voltage requirement on the phy side. Looking at pictures/video of the real dsoxlan board I can see what appears to be a 11 ohm resistor (marked 110 on the video) and capacitor joined together to the 2 joined center taps of the amp magjack. This would imply the other end of the cap (likely a 0.01uf) is going to ground and the other end of the 11 ohm resistor is going to VCC (3.3V or ??).

The georgd board appears to have the center taps of his magjack going through a 1uf cap and then to GND on the edge connector?

So, if someone has a real dsoxlan board, what is the other end of the 11 ohm resistor connected to? GND (seems unlikely) or one of the edge pins or one of the regulators on the board?

cheers,
george.

Offline blueindiana

hey
this is chenyi from china   
My English is very poor,so  I used Google to translate Chinese into English? I hope it does not affect your understanding.
I met a  serious problem:
I am trying to update my oscilloscope's firmware(DSOX2012A) tonight,and i ignored the warning following behind:
//CAUTION: When upgrading your oscilloscope, download the .cab file, and load the complete file into the oscilloscope. Please do not “unpack” or “unzip” the .cab upgrade file; you could potentially only load a portion of the required files in the package. This could result in your oscilloscope becoming non-operational, requiring it to be sent to an Agilent service center to be repaired.//
i unziped the file,then the oscilloscope sure enough becoming non-operational. so i was wondering if there's anyone konws how to fix it.   thank you for your Reply

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Well, what exactly happens when you turn on your scope?
Did you try this?
1) Save the *.cab file on the USB flash disc.
2) Insert the USB flash disc into scope's USB port.
3) Turn on the scope.
4) The scope might boot up from the USB flash disc.
Please note that I do not know if this works. You are doing everything at your own risk!

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Just received my msox2024a via agilent's ebay certiprime store. Fantastic scope and of course even more fantastic with the license stuff from this thread (thanks much to the major contributors!).

Now, I'm look at the dsoxlan diy projects and I am going to run some protoboards soon, so figure I may as well roll my own lan adapter board.

My #1 question though is the center tap voltage requirement on the phy side. Looking at pictures/video of the real dsoxlan board I can see what appears to be a 11 ohm resistor (marked 110 on the video) and capacitor joined together to the 2 joined center taps of the amp magjack. This would imply the other end of the cap (likely a 0.01uf) is going to ground and the other end of the 11 ohm resistor is going to VCC (3.3V or ??).

The georgd board appears to have the center taps of his magjack going through a 1uf cap and then to GND on the edge connector?

So, if someone has a real dsoxlan board, what is the other end of the 11 ohm resistor connected to? GND (seems unlikely) or one of the edge pins or one of the regulators on the board?

cheers,
george.

Anybody??

cheers,
george.

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
Sort of surprising considering how many very intelligent people buy and use this kind of tool.
I just assumed most of the people/companies who could readily afford that type of tool don't really need to be hacking options.

Yes, the vast majority have no need nor desire to hack their scope, nor would most even think to look for one. Agilent know that and rely on that. If a hack did eventually happen, I doubt they would bat much of an eyelid.

Sigh!  Nothing like an "Electronic Rubik's Cube"!  The sheer challenge of UN-doing the Done-up!..  :-DD
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline HooRide

• Regular Contributor
Does anybody know what a "(d)" following the license names means?

I got my scope back from repairs and most licenses were marked like that, see attached screenshot.

Unless numbers work in a completely different way in Germany; you have a higher firmware version than what is available on their site for us to upgrade to.
Please enter all complaints legibly in this space -> [  ]

Offline blueindiana

Well, what exactly happens when you turn on your scope?
Did you try this?
1) Save the *.cab file on the USB flash disc.
2) Insert the USB flash disc into scope's USB port.
3) Turn on the scope.
4) The scope might boot up from the USB flash disc.
Please note that I do not know if this works. You are doing everything at your own risk!

thanks for your relay,i've tried the method you told me?i failed .   i posted the scope out to reload the  firmware.Thanks again for your courtesy.

Offline starblue

Unless numbers work in a completely different way in Germany; you have a higher firmware version than what is available on their site for us to upgrade to.

Yes, new scopes come with 2.36 which is not (yet?) available for download.
That has been discussed on this thread already.

Jürgen

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
It will take a while for the boards to come through, but once I have them and have figured out the actual costs...

The boards have turned up, and I've built one to verify that it works. It does :)

The pix show the bare board (no silkscreen or solder mask - it is really bare, not just figuratively) and the built one. The built one has a PTH cap because I didn't have a SMT one big enough. Built boards will go out with the right thing.

I can ship these for the following prices (which basically cover my costs). Note that the built units attract VAT since I have to buy the magjacks on a company account.
Item Cost
Bare PCB to UK address £2.50
Built PCB to UK address £9.60
Bare PCB to US address £4
Built PCB to US address £13.50

All prices use untracked shipping, and the US ones will take about 10 days. However, there is a possibility I've screwed up so I will ask for the actual cost once I've sent the items. If you're not in the US or UK I will quote you separately.

I have 9 of these PCBs to go, and my preference is to ship bare PCBs. If you want a built one it will take a little while to ship - I need to order the parts and build them first, and I am a bit busy at the moment, so they won't go out overnight.

PM me with your address and whether you want built or raw, and I'll take it from there.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Anybody??

Zucca!

Here just to start:

if we call

and

Here is when I get continuity:

A with 0,3,4,7,10,14,16,17
B with 1,2

Good luck!

PS: My multimeter shows 10R , not 11...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:37:25 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Zucca, thanks!

I received boards back from the pcb house a few days ago, a panel that includes a lan board. I've trimmed it to fit/push into the edge connector, nice snug fit and all the pads line up perfectly. I need to order a magjack - next digikey order - this week.

Edit: Ok, just plugged the board into my dsox and measured power on Pin 1/2 per your annotated pictures and there is 3.3V on those 2 pins. So, that means the terminator power feed in the magjack have a cap to ground (likely 0.01uF) and a series resistor fed from 3.3V which makes perfect sense.

Now I know how to wire the magjack termination. The PCB layout I did has a variety of options including its own terminator regulator (just in case) since I sent it out to fab before anyone (thanks again Zucca) responded to my request.

I've got to figure out the LED polarity on the magjack still. If you have time or get a chance, could you ohm out the LED connections (on the magjack) all the way to the edge connector? TIA.

cheers,
george.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:15:51 pm by georges80 »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:42:17 pm by zucca »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
For the LED, If this

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg445541/#msg445541

was not helpful, surely I will. Datasheet?

I've seen that post (I've read all this thread a few times). What wasn't clear was WHICH end of the LED (anode or cathode) was wired to the edge connector. The pictures don't show the internal traces (of course) so I can't tell the anode/cathode connection.

cheers,
george.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Unbeliveable...

Like at work, also in my spare time I have to cover the holes left by someone else. "Do it right or not do it", that´s should be the first teaching to our children.
I´m not irritated at all, just surprised  :o.

Here the Datasheet:

http://www.trpconnector.com/pdfs/6605758.pdf

Now it looks like the 5-6605758-2 has already the 250R for the LED inside.

Here we go (see datasheet for the Dx pins):

D1 and D3 to pin 1/2 (3.3V, see posts above).
D2 and D4 see below:

Moreover IMO there are some filtering caps between D1,D3 and ground.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:00:24 pm by zucca »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks Zucca, that clears things up nicely. I'll put it into a schematic in the next few days and post it up. At least it will then be clear and in one place how the magjack is wired.

Yes, the -2 has the 250 ohm resistors inside. My PCB had work either way, since digikey appears to stock some flavours of the 5-6605758 but not all of them.

cheers,
george.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf