Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106793 times)

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Everything is hackable, question is only time and effort including 2.41.
The best will be 2.36 or 2.36 booted from USB stick.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
What would be the best firmware version to upgrade a DSOx2000 scope with current firmware version 1.21.2011072803?  The only firmware on Keysight's page is 2.41 and that firmware does not seem to be hack-able.

2.41 is easily liberated but you need a LAN card and be able to double click an icon on your desktop once the scope's booted to the second splash screen with the black background. Depending on your setup that may or may not be easily feasible: as I work in mixed signal I always have a PC permanently at the bench so it's not a big deal.

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
I don' have a LAN card for my scope.  I did some digging through this thread it looks like 2.35 is the best version.  I will probably start by booting from a USB drive since its a bit safer see if it works out.  I found the original 2.35 firmware in the thread I still need to find what needs to be modified to get the hack to work.

Also I saw a teardown of the agilent MSO probes, it doesn't look like there is any circuitry in them so would any header extension get MSO capability once the MSO function is unlocked?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:30:07 am by ECEdesign »

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
I don' have a LAN card for my scope.  I did some digging through this thread it looks like 2.35 is the best version.  I will probably start by booting from a USB drive since its a bit safer see if it works out.  I found the original 2.35 firmware in the thread I still need to find what needs to be modified to get the hack to work.

Also I saw a teardown of the agilent MSO probes, it doesn't look like there is any circuitry in them so would any header extension get MSO capability once the MSO function is unlocked?

There is step by step description in this thread.
For MSO just the header will do the job, no identification of genuine probe.
Check ebay for original MSO probe.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
There *IS* circuitry in the MSO probe - it's a 90k (nominal) resistor in series with the signal and INSIDE each of the flying lead (grey plastic ends) where the little ground pins go. So you can't just take a header and wires and call it done.

cheers,
george.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
There *IS* circuitry in the MSO probe - it's a 90k (nominal) resistor in series with the signal and INSIDE each of the flying lead (grey plastic ends) where the little ground pins go. So you can't just take a header and wires and call it done.

cheers,
george.

That is correct. I also suspect that the wires in the ribbon cable itself may be resistive/lossy. If all you're doing is low speed stuff it's certainly possible you could sling something together, but georges80 is correct, the probes are not just a ribbon cable.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi,

I haven't checked but some of the cables and probes from the old logic analyzer might work. I am think 1650, 1660 series instruments. They have a similar divider.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Certainly those from the old 54622d and 54642d work.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor

cheers,
george.

That is correct. I also suspect that the wires in the ribbon cable itself may be resistive/lossy. If all you're doing is low speed stuff it's certainly possible you could sling something together, but georges80 is correct, the probes are not just a ribbon cable.

The weaved cable signal wires are resistive/lossy. They are nominal 190 ohm wires on mine. The ground wires in the weave ARE zero ohms.

I did some research/discovery of the cables, since I used them with an adapter I made to allow me to use them into the msox2000 analog front end for serial decoding. The 2000 series performs serial decode using the 4 channel analog inputs unlike the 3000 that uses the LA inputs.

cheers,
george.

Edit to correct that the signal wires are resistive. (The ground wires are NOT).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:16:32 pm by georges80 »

Online georgd

• Regular Contributor

The weaved cable wires are not resistive/lossy. They are just nominal 0 ohm wires.
george.

The weaved cable are resistive and forms lossy transmission line, patendted by HP enginner:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4777326

My cable has 120 cm long an has 180 Ohms.

Georg

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Has anyone figured out howmtomtalemthe pod thingy apart on these? I have an old wone that's missing a couple of final probe leads, I don't mind taking it apaaaaarrt (TM) and measuring it if it's easy enough, but an obvious non-destructive disassembly alluded me last time I looked.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi Howard and the group,

I am not entirely sure which 'thingy-ma-bob' you are talking about. If you are talking about this part:

These photographs will help you unlock the secrets.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:58:21 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor

The weaved cable wires are not resistive/lossy. They are just nominal 0 ohm wires.
george.

The weaved cable are resistive and forms lossy transmission line, patendted by HP enginner:

Georg

Yes, you are correct, around 190 ohms for the data wire on the cable and zero ohms for the interleaved ground wires. Even more magic than I thought to maintain good impedance match along the cable.

...and thus an even better reason to source the correct cables for the scope if one purchased the none msox version.

cheers,
george.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:14:29 pm by georges80 »

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor

george.

Georg

Yes, you are correct, around 190 ohms for the data wire on the cable and zero ohms for the interleaved ground wires. Even more magic than I thought to maintain good impedance match along the cable.

...and thus an even better reason to source the correct cables for the scope if one purchased the none msox version.

cheers,
george.

Genuine cable N6459 has input resistance 90k.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
The CABLE is around 180 ohms on the 'signal' lines, and zero ohms on the ground lines.

The test PIN/HEADS are 90K. i.e. the part that unclips from (as in Jay's picture).

We're talking two different parts....

cheers,
george.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
http://www-d0.fnal.gov/trigger/stt/commiss/agilent/agilentprobing.pdf

Page 9:

The Standard Probing System

The standard probing system
consists of IC clips, probe leads,
probe housing and probe cable.
Because it is passive, the standard
probing system is smaller,
lighter, and much easier to use
than active probing systems. This
passive probing system is similar
to a probing system used on a
high frequency oscilloscope. It
consists of an isolation network
(as shown in figure 3) at the
probe tip and a shielded resistive
transmission line

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi group,

This document shows a picture of this special cable:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5968-8153EN.pdf page 14.

Here is the picture:

The part number: 01650-61607 suggests that has been used since the 1650 series of LAs.

Some of the connections will measure low resistance, other higher resistance. There is a mixture of low resistance and resistance wire connections.

The manual describes the Logic inputs as 1GSa/s sample rate and 50 MHz toggle rate.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
This is the cable I'm talking about with the woven cable:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg367778/#msg367778

There are two central rivets hidden beneath the label which is the reason I'm reticent to go medieval on it.

Offline Mykeil

• Contributor
I am trying to unlock Agilent 54831D Infiniium MSO. It is running Windows XP.
Did someone did this?

Can someone show me the way? Thanks.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
I am trying to unlock Agilent 54831D Infiniium MSO. It is running Windows XP.
Did someone did this?

Can someone show me the way? Thanks.

Is it Windows 95 or XP?

Offline Mykeil

• Contributor
It is Windows XP.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
It is Windows XP.

You might want to look at this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-hp-54831d-advice/

User Blacknoise was very helpful.

Offline Mykeil

• Contributor
Thank you a lot. I will contact him.

Offline keitheevblog

• Regular Contributor
Howardlong and friends: you guys simply kick a**.

The posts here were fantastic.

Offline elliotb

• Contributor
I recently scored a cheap dsox2004a in ebay and upgraded the software to 2.35. I've read through the thread (a few times) but I'm stuck unpacking the cab file... I can extract it fine but I don't have a way to do the numerous copies necessary to create the /Secure file structure. I tried installing cab manager 3.0 but the website it gone and all the installers I can find are just bloatware... I work in linux mostly but can run Windows 8.1 in a vm. Does anyone have a python script to unpack the files using _setup.xml?

Thanks,
Elliot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf